What are you expecting from Wonder Woman Earth One?

• 80 results
Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

im excited

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Morrison was heavily studying the orginal stories by William Marston, so I hope we get some weird bondage philosophy.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking forward to it ... Should be interesting to see how the bondage themes get adapted. I suspect a dark story, which I'm sort of bleh about. I think after seeing how fun WW '77 and the lighter Sensation issues I really miss the campy light hearted fair of bygone eras. But I am also excited to see this take of WW and the inevitably high profile Morrisons book will get!

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Archizooom

I'm expecting some sexual-fantasy fulfillment disguised as women's sexual freedom and I'm not expecting a very convoluted story like the ones Morrison's famous for because I think he doesn't view women as very complicated creatures. Art-wise, the bits I've seen were very beautiful but Wonder Woman's all sexed up and zero percent female-friendly-looking. However I'll reserve my judgment until I've read it

Avatar image for jasoninthewoods
Jasoninthewoods

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jasoninthewoods

Not really a Morrison fan ,but this format is made for him.

This guy sucks at monthly comics.

safefruitcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really don't know what to expect, but I'm cautiously optimistic. I've never really liked Morrison's writing before, though (not hated it or anything, just slightly underwhelmed) so I am a little bit worried about that.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I expect it´s never going to be released.

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

A headache.

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Hopefully, justice.

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By lxlGiftedlxl

I am very excited to read this book. I hope it is very good.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

I am expecting to have to go pick up the pieces of my head once I've read it.

@csg_cl said:

I suspect a dark story, which I'm sort of bleh about.

I'm a little surprised you expect the story to be dark?

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

from what I've seen out of Morrison and the previews that have hit the internet it looks like it's going to be pretty dark. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's not though!

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:
@outside_85 said:

@csg_cl said:

from what I've seen out of Morrison and the previews that have hit the internet it looks like it's going to be pretty dark. I'll be pleasantly surprised if it's not though!

The only dark preview I've seen is the one of Hippolyta killing Heracles and even that's not so brutal. Everything else seems fairly tame.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent_z said:
@csg_cl said:
@outside_85 said:

@csg_cl said:

The only dark preview I've seen is the one of Hippolyta killing Heracles and even that's not so brutal. Everything else seems fairly tame.

That's what I've seen as well as Diana in chains held by the Amazons. Not a ton to work off of at this point but to me that feels kinda dark. I'm not opposed to dark stories by any means, but I've grown rather fond of WW '77 and some of the lighter Sensation stuff we've been getting lately :)

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:
@agent_z said:
@csg_cl said:
@outside_85 said:

@csg_cl said:

That's what I've seen as well as Diana in chains held by the Amazons. Not a ton to work off of at this point but to me that feels kinda dark. I'm not opposed to dark stories by any means, but I've grown rather fond of WW '77 and some of the lighter Sensation stuff we've been getting lately :)

Why? The sensation comics suck. Every week she´s fighting Batman villains for some dumb reason, rather than use it to build her own world and why the hell is she always in bloody Gotham. Same with convergence. Only one guy put her in Gateway City where she should be.

Seriously they need to bring back Gateway City and WW´s world again.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Outside_85

@csg_cl said:
@agent_z said:
@csg_cl said:
@outside_85 said:

@csg_cl said:

Well, Morrison and light fun probably isn't going to happen, I admit. But I suppose all we have to do is look at Marston and Perez with Heracles, both writers had Heracles enslave the Amazons and never really get even with him for that. So it's not like Morrison is inventing darkness for the sake of it.

Diana in chains... I am going to strongly assume that is simply a nod back to Marston and his bondage-happy Amazons. Aside that, I think Diana is perfectly capable of walking off and drag the others behind her if she wished, the others are just doing what they can to appear to be able to control her. Kinda like when people appear in court, which is nearly always in handcuffs even if you are a 70 year old grandmother or a teenage girl. And Diana being put on trial for some failing appears to be the story Morrison wants to tell.

I am not so sure it's 'dark' as such, since all we have to go on are the inked pencils. Like Azzarello's run was frequently called dark because of the events and probably due to how much of it appeared to happen during the night. If this is in blazing sunshine fitting of the image of Paradise Island? Would it still be dark then?

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:
@agent_z said:
@csg_cl said:
@outside_85 said:

@csg_cl said:

Well, Morrison and light fun probably isn't going to happen, I admit. But I suppose all we have to do is look at Marston and Perez with Heracles, both writers had Heracles enslave the Amazons and never really get even with him for that. So it's not like Morrison is inventing darkness for the sake of it.

Diana in chains... I am going to strongly assume that is simply a nod back to Marston and his bondage-happy Amazons. Aside that, I think Diana is perfectly capable of walking off and drag the others behind her if she wished, the others are just doing what they can to appear to be able to control her. Kinda like when people appear in court, which is nearly always in handcuffs even if you are a 70 year old grandmother or a teenage girl. And Diana being put on trial for some failing appears to be the story Morrison wants to tell.

I am not so sure it's 'dark' as such, since all we have to go on are the inked pencils. Like Azzarello's run was frequently called dark because of the events and probably due to how much of it appeared to happen during the night. If this is in blazing sunshine fitting of the image of Paradise Island? Would it still be dark then?

I think you are adding a negative value judgement to my thought process on "dark" ... I appreciate dark as much as anyone, I very much liked Azzarello in fact, and I do agree that it was at least partially due to the art and setting. I'm looking for some variety I suppose. Also, I would look to the other Morrison Earth 1 work and include that into my assessment of where this one is going.

As to the chains, I wonder how empowered he's going to make the Amazons ... He's clearly bringing back some GA/Marston themes (i.e. bondage), and Marston's concept had all the Amazon's as nearly as powerful as Diana herself (thus the tournament to figure out who was the best of the best). So I'm not so sure she could "walk off and drag the others behind her" ... certainly possible if he goes with the less powerful versions, but not a foregone conclusion.

@jphulk26

I like that Sensation has brought us a variety of different takes on WW, not everything has been good, but there's been some really fun stuff. Simone's issues sucked and needlessly brought in bat-villains, but there have been some really good silly issues that make me smile. And I grew up with the TV show so '77 makes me happy :)

Gateway City is not what I would consider WW's home city. Byrne moved her there, but I personally liked DC best for her. Nowadays she's pretty international anyway so having her pop up all over the place works for me.

*sorry if some of this is a double post, CV got glitchy on me and my original response vanished*

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Outside_85

@csg_cl said:

I think you are adding a negative value judgement to my thought process on "dark" ... I appreciate dark as much as anyone, I very much liked Azzarello in fact, and I do agree that it was at least partially due to the art and setting. I'm looking for some variety I suppose. Also, I would look to the other Morrison Earth 1 work and include that into my assessment of where this one is going.

As to the chains, I wonder how empowered he's going to make the Amazons ... He's clearly bringing back some GA/Marston themes (i.e. bondage), and Marston's concept had all the Amazon's as nearly as powerful as Diana herself (thus the tournament to figure out who was the best of the best). So I'm not so sure she could "walk off and drag the others behind her" ... certainly possible if he goes with the less powerful versions, but not a foregone conclusion.

Aye, I might be, I've unfortunately gotten used to dark=bad when it comes to WW from the CBR boards.

That is true. Personally I rather expect it to be Diana being the only one thats as powerful as she is, the other Amazons will be powerful in themselves, but not on Diana's level. Add to this, he might be going the other road of making the Amazons empowered through the smooth running of their society and their general character rather than 'just' making them all superhuman. Like when we meet them in Diana's time, they dont ask anyone for anything, they can all stand on their own and sort out their own problems.

I've read he's gone into reading up on feminist theory for this book, so I could imagine he'd want something a little more 'down to earth' than making all the Amazons near-Superman levels of powerful and not use it for anything.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

Aye, I might be, I've unfortunately gotten used to dark=bad when it comes to WW from the CBR boards.

That is true. Personally I rather expect it to be Diana being the only one thats as powerful as she is, the other Amazons will be powerful in themselves, but not on Diana's level. Add to this, he might be going the other road of making the Amazons empowered through the smooth running of their society and their general character rather than 'just' making them all superhuman. Like when we meet them in Diana's time, they dont ask anyone for anything, they can all stand on their own and sort out their own problems.

I've read he's gone into reading up on feminist theory for this book, so I could imagine he'd want something a little more 'down to earth' than making all the Amazons near-Superman levels of powerful and not use it for anything.

Well, my initial comment certainly gives the impression that I was thinking dark=bad ... when really I meant dark=need a change of pace :)

The CBR crowd can be difficult ... there is a large Azza-hater contingent over there! What I find funny is how they also seem to forget that Perez, Rucka and Simone all had incredibly dark themes in their runs too. It's all about clay-babies to most of them :) Dr. Poison even goes so far into his hate of Azzarello to give the Finch's 5-star reviews *rollseyes*

I'm looking forward to this coming out because I've heard he's been researching her history and the whole premise of "trial" is in effect a commentary on the fact that WW is so often judged as lacking by readers and such. I'm intrigued by what he's up to here.

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: It's less about dark=bad and more about how they feel the story was told and if any of the particualr changes Azz added were necessary like Simone, Rucka and Perez.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent_z said:

@csg_cl: It's less about dark=bad and more about how they feel the story was told and if any of the particualr changes Azz added were necessary like Simone, Rucka and Perez.

for some I would agree that this is true ... for others, not so much

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

@jphulk26

I like that Sensation has brought us a variety of different takes on WW, not everything has been good, but there's been some really fun stuff. Simone's issues sucked and needlessly brought in bat-villains, but there have been some really good silly issues that make me smile. And I grew up with the TV show so '77 makes me happy :)

Gateway City is not what I would consider WW's home city. Byrne moved her there, but I personally liked DC best for her. Nowadays she's pretty international anyway so having her pop up all over the place works for me.

*sorry if some of this is a double post, CV got glitchy on me and my original response vanished*

Gateway City under Bryne´s run was the one good thing he did with WW. But like all of WW´s runs the baby got thrown out with the bath water. Fact is Gotham and Metropolis and Central City help define their respective heroes are an important part of the DC mythos. Gateway City actually works because it suggests it is a Gate Way to Mans world. It could easily be based on DC rather than the typical New York like Batman and Superman. Given she is one of the trinity I think it is time to establish an actual city for her. As for Senastation Comics, I have also enjoyed some of it, but again, I can´t stand all the intrusion of Batman into her world. Once facing his villains sure - but why not use this line to actually build up her story, her villains, her allies and her. Next you know she´ll have Alfred as her sidekick and Martha Kent as her closest adviser. I just want a pure WW book, focusing on her and her world and bringing back some of her best villains. Is that too much to ask?

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26 said:
@csg_cl said:

@jphulk26

Gateway City under Bryne´s run was the one good thing he did with WW. But like all of WW´s runs the baby got thrown out with the bath water. Fact is Gotham and Metropolis and Central City help define their respective heroes are an important part of the DC mythos. Gateway City actually works because it suggests it is a Gate Way to Mans world. It could easily be based on DC rather than the typical New York like Batman and Superman. Given she is one of the trinity I think it is time to establish an actual city for her. As for Senastation Comics, I have also enjoyed some of it, but again, I can´t stand all the intrusion of Batman into her world. Once facing his villains sure - but why not use this line to actually build up her story, her villains, her allies and her. Next you know she´ll have Alfred as her sidekick and Martha Kent as her closest adviser. I just want a pure WW book, focusing on her and her world and bringing back some of her best villains. Is that too much to ask?

I respect that POV ... I'd argue that Themyscira takes on the role of the city that defines her within her own pocket of the DCU. Especially since she hasn't really had a secret identity since COIE. I never liked the move to Gateway to be honest, but then I didn't like Byrne's run (IMO the least successful WW run in the Post-Crisis era). As to Sensation ... I'm only recalling the Simone issues as using Bat-rogues ... most of the issues that stick with me have been kind of fluff "girl power" stuff that I think is just kind of cute and empowering for little girls. But I like the anthology concept for WW because I think continuity has been her enemy for a long time. I too would love to see a pure WW book!

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:
@jphulk26 said:
@csg_cl said:

@jphulk26

I respect that POV ... I'd argue that Themyscira takes on the role of the city that defines her within her own pocket of the DCU. Especially since she hasn't really had a secret identity since COIE. I never liked the move to Gateway to be honest, but then I didn't like Byrne's run (IMO the least successful WW run in the Post-Crisis era). As to Sensation ... I'm only recalling the Simone issues as using Bat-rogues ... most of the issues that stick with me have been kind of fluff "girl power" stuff that I think is just kind of cute and empowering for little girls. But I like the anthology concept for WW because I think continuity has been her enemy for a long time. I too would love to see a pure WW book!

Sensation Comics

I like the Girl Power thing as well, I love that they have these books out for girls, but what about when those girls become young women? WW should have magazines out for all ages and she has a strong enough mythos for that. And yes I agree I love the campy old WW series. :) But actually mainly for the steller performance by lynda Carter, who I believe captured the essence of WW, just as much as Reeves or Bale did for supes and bats respectively. What a great performance!

The edition I enjoy most though are ones that are about Diana and her world. Anything to do with Batman I don´t get.

Secret IdentityWW should not have a secret identity. I think with the whole truth thing and her being the spirit of truth, it makes sense she wouldn´t feel the need to deceive the world about her identity. plus unfortunately someone back in the 40s thought it was a brilliant idea to make her secret identity Diana Prince? Oh I wonder if the mild mannered secretary is really Princess Diana of Themyscira? Um let me think! - I honestly think the best thing to do is drop it and actually it works because it makes her very different from Superman and Batman. She always has to keep up appearances. She´ll be this famous icon even with in the DC world. Like she´ll always be a celebrity and be kind of like Princess Diana (I mean the real Princess Di from England) which may be a good source of conflict for the character.

Gateway City Why it should be brought back and how it could work

Granted most things about Brynes WW ought be forgotten, but this Gateway city was a master stroke by him. Think about how much it makes sense to the character. Just like Batman´s gotham is gothic like his image, and Metropolis is about the future like Supermans scifi roots, so is Gateway city representative even semiotically to WW as it symbolizes a Gate way to Mans World. That can really be worked with.

By the way saying Themyscira defines her as hero, is like like saying Smallville or Krypton define Clark. To me that defines part of him, but Metropolis and it´s characterization as the city of the future is part of that whole image and iconography of superman as The Man Of Tomorrow. (One of the things I hated about Man Of Steel, was how they so poorly used Metropolis) Metropolis for me should have been made to look like Tokyo, all high tech and futuristic but in a real way. Maybe Lex Luthor is such a genius in MOS world that Metropolis has felt the bounty becoming the most hightech city in the world. It would have just helped to define Clarks move from Smallville to Metropolis and distinguished Metropolis from Gotham. You could also understand why Lex starts to resent the Man Of Steel, because he´s this genius who has helped the city, then all of a sudden along comes this alien to quote-on-quote, take his shine. Anyway, I digressed, but there is an important point to this. I would like the same kind of thing done for Gateway City, make it a city of world politics, almost like DC comics version of Washington, or base it on that. This would fit in very nicely with WW´s role as an ambassador for her people and give her a unique role to play in DC. Where as Superman is afraid to overstep his boundaries of US, for fear of political ramifications, WW can be like "to hell with you" there´s a genocide going on there, or women being sold into white slavery there, I´m going in and the USA can´t stop me. That will make a really nice dynamic and that was actually what was kind of happening back in the 90s and early 2000s before, they gave all ww´s characteristics to Superman in the Earth One comics. Not that I dislike that, but world superheroing was kind of her schtick first. Again I digress. So anyway Gateway city can fit very nicely into the WW mythos if given a distinctive character. This is the wonderful thing about WW not having a movie, because her whole mythos can be tidied up and made sense of for future generations. I just fear that is not what is going to happen and that sucks for me. Gateway should be a place of politics, the halls of power and great corruption. Look at shows like House Of Cards, base it on that kind of thing to make it modern. Make Venessa Cale a very manipulative, very hungry, very shrewd career politician, looking to use WW as the main issue in her campaigns to become "Governor" or whatever of the state. She can be a cross between Amanda Waller and Lex Luthor. maybe not a billionaire though. This is just an idea of how I see gateway city can work big time and become just as synonymous with WW as Gotham is with batman.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26 said:
@csg_cl said:
@jphulk26 said:
@csg_cl said:

@jphulk26

Sensation Comics

I like the Girl Power thing as well, I love that they have these books out for girls, but what about when those girls become young women? WW should have magazines out for all ages and she has a strong enough mythos for that. And yes I agree I love the campy old WW series. :) But actually mainly for the steller performance by lynda Carter, who I believe captured the essence of WW, just as much as Reeves or Bale did for supes and bats respectively. What a great performance!

The edition I enjoy most though are ones that are about Diana and her world. Anything to do with Batman I don´t get.

Secret IdentityWW should not have a secret identity. I think with the whole truth thing and her being the spirit of truth, it makes sense she wouldn´t feel the need to deceive the world about her identity. plus unfortunately someone back in the 40s thought it was a brilliant idea to make her secret identity Diana Prince? Oh I wonder if the mild mannered secretary is really Princess Diana of Themyscira? Um let me think! - I honestly think the best thing to do is drop it and actually it works because it makes her very different from Superman and Batman. She always has to keep up appearances. She´ll be this famous icon even with in the DC world. Like she´ll always be a celebrity and be kind of like Princess Diana (I mean the real Princess Di from England) which may be a good source of conflict for the character.

Granted most things about Brynes WW ought be forgotten, but this Gateway city was a master stroke by him. Think about how much it makes sense to the character. Just like Batman´s gotham is gothic like his image, and Metropolis is about the future like Supermans scifi roots, so is Gateway city representative even semiotically to WW as it symbolizes a Gate way to Mans World. That can really be worked with.

By the way saying Themyscira defines her as hero, is like like saying Smallville or Krypton define Clark. To me that defines part of him, but Metropolis and it´s characterization as the city of the future is part of that whole image and iconography of superman as The Man Of Tomorrow. (One of the things I hated about Man Of Steel, was how they so poorly used Metropolis) Metropolis for me should have been made to look like Tokyo, all high tech and futuristic but in a real way. Maybe Lex Luthor is such a genius in MOS world that Metropolis has felt the bounty becoming the most hightech city in the world. It would have just helped to define Clarks move from Smallville to Metropolis and distinguished Metropolis from Gotham. You could also understand why Lex starts to resent the Man Of Steel, because he´s this genius who has helped the city, then all of a sudden along comes this alien to quote-on-quote, take his shine. Anyway, I digressed, but there is an important point to this. I would like the same kind of thing done for Gateway City, make it a city of world politics, almost like DC comics version of Washington, or base it on that. This would fit in very nicely with WW´s role as an ambassador for her people and give her a unique role to play in DC. Where as Superman is afraid to overstep his boundaries of US, for fear of political ramifications, WW can be like "to hell with you" there´s a genocide going on there, or women being sold into white slavery there, I´m going in and the USA can´t stop me. That will make a really nice dynamic and that was actually what was kind of happening back in the 90s and early 2000s before, they gave all ww´s characteristics to Superman in the Earth One comics. Not that I dislike that, but world superheroing was kind of her schtick first. Again I digress. So anyway Gateway city can fit very nicely into the WW mythos if given a distinctive character. This is the wonderful thing about WW not having a movie, because her whole mythos can be tidied up and made sense of for future generations. I just fear that is not what is going to happen and that sucks for me. Gateway should be a place of politics, the halls of power and great corruption. Look at shows like House Of Cards, base it on that kind of thing to make it modern. Make Venessa Cale a very manipulative, very hungry, very shrewd career politician, looking to use WW as the main issue in her campaigns to become "Governor" or whatever of the state. She can be a cross between Amanda Waller and Lex Luthor. maybe not a billionaire though. This is just an idea of how I see gateway city can work big time and become just as synonymous with WW as Gotham is with batman.

I loved Lynda ... and I agree that she absolutely captured the spirit of WW!

I disagree that you can draw a parallel between Themyscira and Smallville. For the vast majority of her existence the Amazons have been an active role in her activity, providing not just a "moral center", but also helping Diana solve problems and often adventuring with her as part of her "scooby gang" Themyscira has always been a part of Diana's NOW which isn't the case with Smallville. Smallville is a very obvious part of SM's past not his present. It's rare that anyone from Smallville offers more than an ear for the Clark side of his persona to talk with or a fond memory etc... his upbringing is key to who he is now, but he's moved on from SV. Diana is still very much entrenched in all things Amazon. Themyscira plays a much more parallel role to Metropolis than Smallville IMO.

I never liked the Spirit of Truth all that much ... it's a big cliche IMO ... but I tend to find things like as a restriction on her free will (i.e. if she is incapable of lying she can't choose to be honest). Not saying Diana should have a full time alter-ego, but I'm not opposed to it either. Diana Prince's existence offers different storylines to exist and helps make her a tad more relatable.

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: I don't know that Diana Prince can offer different storylines than what we get from other heroes with secret i.ds. In fact, it seems that more and more people are finding that concept outdated. Notice how most Marvel's heroes are public figures. And I've never found Diana to be less relatable because of her different background (then again I though the idea of the character was accepting that people had different backgrounds and perspectives and those deserve to be acknowledged and respected).

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent_z said:

@csg_cl: I don't know that Diana Prince can offer different storylines than what we get from other heroes with secret i.ds. In fact, it seems that more and more people are finding that concept outdated. Notice how most Marvel's heroes are public figures. And I've never found Diana to be less relatable because of her different background (then again I though the idea of the character was accepting that people had different backgrounds and perspectives and those deserve to be acknowledged and respected).

I think it offers different stories for Diana, not that it's different from what other secret identity heroes. I didn't say her background made her less relatable, I said a secret identity might help. Giving her everyday woman issues to deal with being the point.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:
@jphulk26 said:
@csg_cl said:
@jphulk26 said:
@csg_cl said:

@jphulk26

Sensation Comics

I loved Lynda ... and I agree that she absolutely captured the spirit of WW!

I disagree that you can draw a parallel between Themyscira and Smallville. For the vast majority of her existence the Amazons have been an active role in her activity, providing not just a "moral center", but also helping Diana solve problems and often adventuring with her as part of her "scooby gang" Themyscira has always been a part of Diana's NOW which isn't the case with Smallville. Smallville is a very obvious part of SM's past not his present. It's rare that anyone from Smallville offers more than an ear for the Clark side of his persona to talk with or a fond memory etc... his upbringing is key to who he is now, but he's moved on from SV. Diana is still very much entrenched in all things Amazon. Themyscira plays a much more parallel role to Metropolis than Smallville IMO.

I never liked the Spirit of Truth all that much ... it's a big cliche IMO ... but I tend to find things like as a restriction on her free will (i.e. if she is incapable of lying she can't choose to be honest). Not saying Diana should have a full time alter-ego, but I'm not opposed to it either. Diana Prince's existence offers different storylines to exist and helps make her a tad more relatable.

I just don´t like the name Diana Prince. Its different with WW because everyone knows she´s Princess Diana of Themyscira. She doesn´t hide that. So it´s kind of difficult for me to get with an SI, when her name is exactly the same as a Superhero. I just think the spirit of truth thing gives her a convinient way out of having to have a secret identity. I still think there´s a lot to make Diana relatable without having to give her a secret identity. Also her SI hasn´t exectly been built up well either. What is it? Is she a spy? a secretary? what? I just like her better as Amabassador in Themyscira House with all her colleagues and supporting cast. Rucka especially made an interesting dynamic there and gave WW something meaningful to do when she wasn´t superheroing. That was the best idea in my opinion. Not every superhero needs a secret identity. If it doesn´t work, why force one on her.

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:
@agent_z said:

I think it offers different stories for Diana, not that it's different from what other secret identity heroes. I didn't say her background made her less relatable, I said a secret identity might help. Giving her everyday woman issues to deal with being the point.

Okay but does she need a secret i.d for that? She's already a woman leaving home and trying to find her independence. She's working in a male dominated field. She has friends she talks to both in and out of work etc.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26 said:

I just don´t like the name Diana Prince. Its different with WW because everyone knows she´s Princess Diana of Themyscira. She doesn´t hide that. So it´s kind of difficult for me to get with an SI, when her name is exactly the same as a Superhero. I just think the spirit of truth thing gives her a convinient way out of having to have a secret identity. I still think there´s a lot to make Diana relatable without having to give her a secret identity. Also her SI hasn´t exectly been built up well either. What is it? Is she a spy? a secretary? what? I just like her better as Amabassador in Themyscira House with all her colleagues and supporting cast. Rucka especially made an interesting dynamic there and gave WW something meaningful to do when she wasn´t superheroing. That was the best idea in my opinion. Not every superhero needs a secret identity. If it doesn´t work, why force one on her.

I think this is where her very long history and a million continuity changes have hurt her. Diana Prince only works if people don't know that WW is Princess Diana. But, to be clear, I don't believe she MUST have a SI ... just that it can work. I like that they've explored/played with it in SM/WW, it's already opened up some possibly interesting stories for her character. I guess my point is that it opens up the character for other kinds of storytelling opportunities and gives her a side that anyone can relate to in some way, it's harder to relate to the Princess (easy to wish you were her), I guess it's like Barbie, being an ideal opens her up for criticism and inevitable questions of her relevance to young girls. Having a SI opens up the potential for a writer to put her in situations that can be relatable to "the man on the street". I don't mind the Ambassador role, but it only plays out for so long before it also becomes one-dimensional, and tons of people would find that particular role unappealing because of the politics ... but agreed that Rucka did it best!

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Greatness.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent_z said:
@csg_cl said:
@agent_z said:

Okay but does she need a secret i.d for that? She's already a woman leaving home and trying to find her independence. She's working in a male dominated field. She has friends she talks to both in and out of work etc.

and she's also a woman of massive privilege from an island of women who run their own world and is in no way in danger of being discriminated against because she's female ... not when they know who she is, unless you think the JL is suddenly going to turn into a group of misogynist boys who try and sexually harass WW. NO she doesn't NEED a SI, but my point is that it's one way of giving her some different story options that allow some of these things to be addressed. Marston did it masterfully in nearly every story he wrote.

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: Okay I see your point. However, I'd point out that Batman is quite privileged and is considered one of the most relatable heroes. Arguably more so than than Diana, who has to answer to either the Amazon Council or the Olympians. And she has faced discrimination before based on gender. She was demoted to the League's secretary during the Silver Age and had to undergo various tests to prove herself, she faced distrust from the some of the world in the Perez run and some of her enemies have made derogatory comments towards her. There's also Hal's leering at her in the New 52 Justice League.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:
@jphulk26 said:

I think this is where her very long history and a million continuity changes have hurt her. Diana Prince only works if people don't know that WW is Princess Diana. But, to be clear, I don't believe she MUST have a SI ... just that it can work. I like that they've explored/played with it in SM/WW, it's already opened up some possibly interesting stories for her character. I guess my point is that it opens up the character for other kinds of storytelling opportunities and gives her a side that anyone can relate to in some way, it's harder to relate to the Princess (easy to wish you were her), I guess it's like Barbie, being an ideal opens her up for criticism and inevitable questions of her relevance to young girls. Having a SI opens up the potential for a writer to put her in situations that can be relatable to "the man on the street". I don't mind the Ambassador role, but it only plays out for so long before it also becomes one-dimensional, and tons of people would find that particular role unappealing because of the politics ... but agreed that Rucka did it best!

depends on how its done. I think if written well people will relate. But i see what you´re saying. I mean lets face it truth be told who can relate to a billionaire genius. that also is wish fulfillment. And okay you can say in Batman what makes us relate is the fact his parents died, but what about Iron Man. What trauma in his life makes people relate to him, how is he not essentially just male Barbie or Ken that men wish they could be like. Also, I don´t fly around the world sleeping with highly unattainable women, but i still like a good James Bond movie. I think this idea that people won´t relate to her because of that is misleading. There´s still alot of story in her trying to get use to coping with being in Mans World. It might just be me but in that story Spirit Of Truth, I really felt her struggle. When the chinese girl was scared of her after saving her, I felt really bad for her and I could see from her perspective how strange our world must be. I´ve always seen ww as a character a bit like ET. The sweet, vulnerable girl, who out of town and just wants to phone home. except with her this great power has been thrust on her that she feels she must use for good, so she has "play strong" for the world to see and be someone people can look up to, but what if inside she´s just as vulnerable as everyone else? That´s how I´d go about depicting her as an ambassador. I´d make it so a lot of the time she´s way out of her depth, so she´s not always this lofty, unreachable idea we ought aspire to. I think that is how she could really work. I think we have to move past that image that Lynda did so well of the perfect, heroine, beyond repute and give ww a healthy dose of insecurity and lack of certainty about what she´s trying to achieve in Mans World. Yeah that´s it in a nutshell.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:
@jphulk26 said:

Hey you inspired me to go back and read some of the latest editions of WW SC´s and I really liked the ones that were just her dealing with her world. I actually think it would be great if they made some of this into an animated series. Loved the Ares and Cheetah. Just looking through so I can avoid the ones with Supes or Batman villains. I did get the first several, but started getting annoyed always seeing her in Gotham. It just was getting on my nerves so I stopped, glad you got me back into it.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent_z said:

@csg_cl: Okay I see your point. However, I'd point out that Batman is quite privileged and is considered one of the most relatable heroes. Arguably more so than than Diana, who has to answer to either the Amazon Council or the Olympians. And she has faced discrimination before based on gender. She was demoted to the League's secretary during the Silver Age and had to undergo various tests to prove herself, she faced distrust from the some of the world in the Perez run and some of her enemies have made derogatory comments towards her. There's also Hal's leering at her in the New 52 Justice League.

Not quite true ... she was always the Leagues secretary back in the early days ... sign of the times, and it was the ONLY WW appearances (prior to his death) not written by Marston himself. The tests to prove herself were her own idea after her memories were wiped out of the entire "depowered" years. Being objectified by Hal and some of her enemies and facing distrust in Perez (and even more so in Rucka) are challenges to overcome for WW for certain, but they are also an inherent part of what the character stands for so that, IMO, should never go away so much as be taken on and converted into respect.

I think you are confusing "relatable" with male power-fantasy with Batman :)

Bruce is meant to be a shallow-rich-kid-persona masking the true hero that is Batman ... in effect the shallow nature of the Bruce Wayne character actually makes the intensity of Batman more relatable, we understand the need for the opposites within his personality. It's why I think the Diana Prince persona being a bit of a prig could help WW be more relatable ... DP can fall in love with Steve Trevor, she can have friends like Etta Candy and can take pride in doing a mundane job very well. WW can then be free to be WW with all that entails.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By CSG_CL

@jphulk26 said:
@csg_cl said:
@jphulk26 said:

Hey you inspired me to go back and read some of the latest editions of WW SC´s and I really liked the ones that were just her dealing with her world. I actually think it would be great if they made some of this into an animated series. Loved the Ares and Cheetah. Just looking through so I can avoid the ones with Supes or Batman villains. I did get the first several, but started getting annoyed always seeing her in Gotham. It just was getting on my nerves so I stopped, glad you got me back into it.

I'm glad you liked what you read!

I also like how you describe what you would do with her in your other post ... I think that could really work

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By CSG_CL

@agent41: somewhat untrue. Themes in WW are relatable simply because they are straight forward allusions to issues such as mysogny or teen suicide or image issues. Almost never are these issues Diana herself faces. If you make such generic statements as "she teaches us how to treat people" you could be talking about nearly any character. Diana's issues with being unrelatable are more specific in nature ... She's always been too perfect for a reader to directly identify with beyond the "this is what an ideal woman should be". The way she's been portrayed for decades stumbles into a female power fantasy along the lines of Batman/Superman ... I dare say most women don't identify with that sort of thing. Making Diana herself relatable means giving her more direct personal problems to face, not making her even higher in her ivory tower.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By jphulk26

@csg_cl said:

@agent41: somewhat untrue. Themes in WW are relatable simply because they are straight forward allusions to issues such as mysogny or teen suicide or image issues. Almost never are these issues Diana herself faces. If you make such generic statements as "she teaches us how to treat people" you could be talking about nearly any character. Diana's issues with being unrelatable are more specific in nature ... She's always been too perfect for a reader to directly identify with beyond the "this is what an ideal woman should be". The way she's been portrayed for decades stumbles into a female power fantasy along the lines of Batman/Superman ... I dare say most women don't identify with that sort of thing. Making Diana herself relatable means giving her more direct personal problems to face, not making her even higher in her ivory tower.

I take a slight bit of umbridge with this. Diana´s issue has been bad writing. I don´t relate to Diana when she´s been in the hands of bad writers, I do when she´s in the hands of good writers who understand her. In the 70s show where she was pretty much depicted in the manner you´re talking about, she became a huge international sensation. Why because by-and-large the show was fun, but also Lynda understood her and did a fantastic job of depicting her in a manner that took her mythos seriously.

I really don´t think there´s a fundemental problem with Diana as a character or her story, there is plenty of vunerability as-well-as plenty to relate to in her journey. However I think it´s a terrible mistake to think one has to enforce uncharacteristic issues on her, such as "daddy" issues or sibling rivalries or man-raping Amazons to make people relate to her. I think it does quite the opposite in fact, it makes her story completely unrelatable and leaves one with more questions than answers. Such as: why is she so heroic if raised in an enviroment of pure bigotry? It also now the Amazons are impossible to root for in anyway. If people step out the comic bubble and actually think what someone who knows nothing about WW is going to think of that whole story, I think people would realize it´s highly unappealing for a superhero to be the product of The Amazons as they are currently being depicted and what most likely will happen is it will divide audiences the same way Man Of Steel did, by essentially changing Pa Kent into a douche bag who would advocate letting a bus full of school children die. In the end making Superman dark, something which he isn´t did more harm than good for him. Yes Diana certainly needs problems, that modern audiences can relate to or empathise with, but we must be careful those problem fit organically with Diana´s story and the kind of values general audiences associate with the character. Her mother murdering men is a HUUUUGGGGGGGEEEEEEEE mistake if that is the root the movie wants to take. And being Zeus´s bit on the side also makes her highly unsympathtic. If it was a TV drama like Daredevil, that might work, but noway you can make people understand all that in a 120 minute film for instance.

Comicbookwise, as I said bad writing is ww greatest enemy, not being unrelatable.

By the way I just wanted to give an example, so I´m not being so abstract. You might call WW too perfect in Rucka´s run, I don´t know. The way she always did the right/noble thing, almost with out thought, might make her seem morally infalable. However to me, what I saw was a badass warrior who lived by an unwavering moral code that was her own, be damned with what the world or anyone else thought of it. When she used medusa´s snake venom to blind herself, so as not to be turned to stone, I didn´t see some perfect, priggish, debutant, who was beyond reproach, I saw a bad ass warrior, who doesn´t give a &$$R%$, this is woman willing to even tarnish looks that were favored her by Aphrodite, to kick someones ass. I dare say if that ever made it into cinema, it may be the most badass thing a superhero would ever have done in film. Cause I have never seen Bataman purposely blind himself, so as to save Gotham City. Same with Maxwell Lord thing to a lesser degree. WW was able to get low, down and dirty and I found it awesome. And the fact she did it with this regal grace, made it all the more badass to me and that was from someone who wasn´t a huge WW fan when I read that comic. Anyway that was just to give some context to my argument, because till this day of any of the mainstream superheroes WW has done some of the most cool things I´ve seen anyone do, which I´m sure General Audiences would lap up. So sometimes I really don´t get the whole relatable thing.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CSG_CL

@jphulk26 said:
@csg_cl said:

I take a slight bit of umbridge with this. Diana´s issue has been bad writing. I don´t relate to Diana when she´s been in the hands of bad writers, I do when she´s in the hands of good writers who understand her. In the 70s show where she was pretty much depicted in the manner you´re talking about, she became a huge international sensation. Why because by-and-large the show was fun, but also Lynda understood her and did a fantastic job of depicting her in a manner that took her mythos seriously.

I really don´t think there´s a fundemental problem with Diana as a character or her story, there is plenty of vunerability as-well-as plenty to relate to in her journey. However I think it´s a terrible mistake to think one has to enforce uncharacteristic issues on her, such as "daddy" issues or sibling rivalries or man-raping Amazons to make people relate to her. I think it does quite the opposite in fact, it makes her story completely unrelatable and leaves one with more questions than answers. Such as: why is she so heroic if raised in an enviroment of pure bigotry? It also now the Amazons are impossible to root for in anyway. If people step out the comic bubble and actually think what someone who knows nothing about WW is going to think of that whole story, I think people would realize it´s highly unappealing for a superhero to be the product of The Amazons as they are currently being depicted and what most likely will happen is it will divide audiences the same way Man Of Steel did, by essentially changing Pa Kent into a douche bag who would advocate letting a bus full of school children die. In the end making Superman dark, something which he isn´t did more harm than good for him. Yes Diana certainly needs problems, that modern audiences can relate to or empathise with, but we must be careful those problem fit organically with Diana´s story and the kind of values general audiences associate with the character. Her mother murdering men is a HUUUUGGGGGGGEEEEEEEE mistake if that is the root the movie wants to take. And being Zeus´s bit on the side also makes her highly unsympathtic. If it was a TV drama like Daredevil, that might work, but noway you can make people understand all that in a 120 minute film for instance.

Comicbookwise, as I said bad writing is ww greatest enemy, not being unrelatable.

By the way I just wanted to give an example, so I´m not being so abstract. You might call WW too perfect in Rucka´s run, I don´t know. The way she always did the right/noble thing, almost with out thought, might make her seem morally infalable. However to me, what I saw was a badass warrior who lived by an unwavering moral code that was her own, be damned with what the world or anyone else thought of it. When she used medusa´s snake venom to blind herself, so as not to be turned to stone, I didn´t see some perfect, priggish, debutant, who was beyond reproach, I saw a bad ass warrior, who doesn´t give a &$$R%$, this is woman willing to even tarnish looks that were favored her by Aphrodite, to kick someones ass. I dare say if that ever made it into cinema, it may be the most badass thing a superhero would ever have done in film. Cause I have never seen Bataman purposely blind himself, so as to save Gotham City. Same with Maxwell Lord thing to a lesser degree. WW was able to get low, down and dirty and I found it awesome. And the fact she did it with this regal grace, made it all the more badass to me and that was from someone who wasn´t a huge WW fan when I read that comic. Anyway that was just to give some context to my argument, because till this day of any of the mainstream superheroes WW has done some of the most cool things I´ve seen anyone do, which I´m sure General Audiences would lap up. So sometimes I really don´t get the whole relatable thing.

I don't meant to bash on Diana, but at a certain point you have to look at the character and her concept when no one seems to be able to sustain a high quality level of writing, or when some of her most critically acclaimed runs (i.e. Rucka) didn't sell without the aid of crossovers and events. It's why I appreciate that Azzarello went his own way and pretty much dropped what he felt didn't work within his story. Not to say he made awesome choices (i.e. I agree with you about the Amazons and Hippolyta). But I think it's a pretty easy story to understand in terms of why is Diana heroic ... she's (for better or worse) a hero who overcame her environment/violent past, closer to BM now than SM. It's a different twist on the Marston version that was the ultimate example of her people's accomplishment ... I don't love it either as I prefer the way Marston created her, but at least she's interesting as a person/character instead of an ideal people can't possibly live up to. SM suffers from some of this as well, but it seems to work better for him ... possibly because he's male, but that's just me speculating.

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: She has been in conflict with her mother and her people several times. She has (had) a job that required contact with human beings. She's had relationships with men and has had friends within and outside the super community. Hell, the writers actually had her deal with attempted sexual assault herself before they started relying on this trope as a cheap source of drama. There are things that people can find relatable in her if they actually bother to look.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By CSG_CL

@agent_z said:

@csg_cl: She has been in conflict with her mother and her people several times. She has (had) a job that required contact with human beings. She's had relationships with men and has had friends within and outside the super community. Hell, the writers actually had her deal with attempted sexual assault herself before they started relying on this trope as a cheap source of drama. There are things that people can find relatable in her if they actually bother to look.

No one is saying she hasn't experienced conflict. I'm saying most of her writers use devices outside of Diana directly ... things like Julia Kapatelis body image issues or Silver Swan being a domestic violence victim ... things around Diana, but not her own personal problems ... she's the hero it makes sense, but it's not as personal as your parents being murdered in front of your eyes or being the last hope of a dying race. Marston's creation was stronger (as I've said a million times :P ) because she was directly representing the potential of women in a time when that wasn't obvious. GA WW/Diana Prince personally represented these issues and that resonates.

The key point in what you had to say being "if they actually bother to look" ... most don't. I find the vast majority of people just want the easy interpretation put in front of their noses. Even hardcore fans want things spelled out for them ... look how many complaints there are about Azzarello not recounting every detail of her past. I get it, he left a lot of things unsaid in favor of telling the story he wanted to write. Personally I like things left up to interpretation and tend to lose interest in too many details or too much specific detail (i.e. I don't care if she can lift 3-trillion megatons or "only" 2.5-trillion megatons ... she's strong, that's enough for me).

Not a lot of people are going to take a casual look at the ambassador/princess/warrior and think "oh, yeah, I can see where she's coming from". She's got too many checks in the practically perfect column so it's not surprising that people don't immediately identify with the character, and you top that off with decades worth of bad writing and here we sit with.

Agent_Z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: well in Azz's case I'd say some of the things he didn't elaborate on we're a lot more important I.e why do the Amazons hate men so much, how did Hippolyta know she was infertile unless she'd participated in the raids, why was she still a statue. By comparison what I mentioned is pretty straight forward. You may like something's left to the imagination but not everyone died and given the themes Azz's was exploring I don't think people are unreasonable for wanting a clearer explanation.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent_z: I think that is your personal opinion ... I respect that ... Personally I could care less about how Hippolyta discovered she was infertile. I think the Amazons were a mistake as he represented them, but it was important to his story that they hated men, but why they hated them is rather irrelevant. What purpose does the information serve to the specific story he told?

What you, and many others, wanted from Azzarello was a straight forward origin story. He didn't do that, but he also set the stage for WW to go in many directions. You don't have to like what he did (or didn't do), I'm not going to try and convince you that he was the best writer ever for WW. But don't mistake a lack of details for poor writing. It's a style choice not a weakness ... Finch is giving us painful amounts of detail, and it's still not good writing.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@agent41 said:

@csg_cl: WW hassn't had the exposure other big characters have had. We can't compare her sales to th likes of BM. Ruka run sold well. Her title has always sold well. And Azz didn't make her reach a new lvel of success. With him she kept on selling wha she sold with other writers. He didn't make her reach a new level of comercial success.

WW has relatable things. She has always had a complicated relationship with the amazons and the gods. More than once they get in her way trying to make her suffer as much as possible and attack her physically and verbally. Her story for a long time has always been an inner fight between what her mother wants from her,what the amazons want from her,what the gods want from her,and what she wants for herself, and how she left that luxurious paradise to find her own goals and place. That outsider journary is another relatable theme. She is not a normal amazon,not a god,not a human. She is just herself. And you also have other stories such as the one writen by Jimenez. He nurtured Wonder Woman through some very tough times as well. Like a mirror to actual world events, 2001 was a very difficult year for Wonder Woman. Themyscira was embroiled in a heated civil war, which resulted in the abolishment of the matriarchy and the loss of the title of princess for her. In a staggering galactic war, Hippolyta her mother and supporting character since the beginning of the book, was killed. Wonder Woman was shown as a woman who had very human problems to cope with. Her battles were not always with super villains or natural disasters. Jimenez showed a hero who had to deal with mother/daughter issues in a way that had rarely been shown in the series. Wonder Woman and her mother did not always get along! In one of his best issues (Wonder Woman#172) Jimenez weaved a tale of jealousy and forgiveness, as a protective mother (Hippolyta) gave her life to protect her seemingly ungrateful daughter. Jimenez was not afraid to show Wonder Woman in an unflattering light. She was jealous of her mother donning similar armor and leaving the shores of Themyscira to become a hero in her own right. Stories such as these brought some very female oriented issues to the forefront. Wonder Woman had never had to deal with issues of her royal status, her relationship with her mother, and the grief of losing a parent. Of course, she came through all of this on top, and ready to fight the good fight, but it was a difficult and interesting journey.

The fact that we sit here justifying her "relatable things" is evidence enough that this is an area where she struggles. You can point to specifics all day long, but that doesn't change the fact that the perception of her as "un-relatable" exists. I'm not saying I personally find her un-relatable, but I can see how and why that perception is out there ... sticking your head in the sand and claiming it doesn't isn't productive.

Azzarello's first couple of years sales were higher than anything WW had seen in decades (he around 45k until the last year of his run, which is well above her normal low-30s from the last 15 years+). His sales numbers for print-only were higher than non-crossover issues of anything Rucka or Simone normally sold ... even if digital sales were relatively small he still did much better across his 35 issues than she's had in a good long while. His run (and now Finch's too) has demonstrated that WW CAN sell in the 50k range with the right talent drawing attention to her. Movie appearances over the next few years should give the comic a boost too ... fact is WW gets a TON of exposure these days (3 solo comics plus 2 team comics and she's getting guest appearances all over the place), the character will be appearing in 3 movies in the next 5 years and there has been at least 2 TV programs in the last 3 years that were in development. You can complain until you are blue in the face that not everything has turned out amazing, but they are making an effort well beyond anything characters normally get. Aside from other top-tier characters she is doing pretty well. Supergirl is getting a TV show, but other than that not a lot of female heroes get anywhere close to the exposure Diana gets.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:
@jphulk26 said:
@csg_cl said:

I don't meant to bash on Diana, but at a certain point you have to look at the character and her concept when no one seems to be able to sustain a high quality level of writing, or when some of her most critically acclaimed runs (i.e. Rucka) didn't sell without the aid of crossovers and events. It's why I appreciate that Azzarello went his own way and pretty much dropped what he felt didn't work within his story. Not to say he made awesome choices (i.e. I agree with you about the Amazons and Hippolyta). But I think it's a pretty easy story to understand in terms of why is Diana heroic ... she's (for better or worse) a hero who overcame her environment/violent past, closer to BM now than SM. It's a different twist on the Marston version that was the ultimate example of her people's accomplishment ... I don't love it either as I prefer the way Marston created her, but at least she's interesting as a person/character instead of an ideal people can't possibly live up to. SM suffers from some of this as well, but it seems to work better for him ... possibly because he's male, but that's just me speculating.

what you said here is true, but as for sales going up because of crossover events, to be fair, it´s hardly a fair playing field with a character that had no animated show, media expòsure or quality writing for years on years. The combination of all those aspects killed wonder woman and each fed off the other. What did Mark waid say about why he was such a huge Superman fan? He said the Christopher Reeve movie inspired him. Many writers who have dealt with Superman and or Batman feel the same. Seriously, lets fae it as much as we complain about ww on this forum, all dc´s characters have been shafted apart from Green Lantern, Batman and Superman. Yes her mythos is a bit complex, but think about it, so is supermans. Superman has never been given any clear reason that he becomes a superhero other than he has powers and he´s a nice guy. Any direct motive that film, television or otherwise have given him have always been additions to the story. Apart from that you have a whole epic tail that reaches all the way into the receses of space, all the way to small town kansas and then further reaches forward into massive metropolis of the modern city and bald genius, presidential candedates trying to kill aliens with small pieces of green rock from an exploded planet where the alien in question came from, which is his only weakness because he´s virtually indestructable. Supermans story is a weird story. It´s only because we´ve seen it so many times in media and they´ve given us a framework to be able to visualize it that it makes coherent sense… WW is much the same. It´s a weird story, but it´s a cool one. People don´t get it, cause most people don´t have the requisit imagination to understand how her story could work.