The sword is useless. Appoint a new weapon.

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What is the point of the sword if it keeps getting broken everytime she uses it? It is pretty useless imo. Maybe if she had the creation blades then it would be a different story. But it really doesn't fit for her arsenal at this point. I think steel fans would be cool for her like Kitana from Mortal Kombat.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I think the Boom Box blade from Gs&Ms was a cool idea

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is the point of the sword if it keeps getting broken everytime she uses it? It is pretty useless imo. Maybe if she had the creation blades then it would be a different story. But it really doesn't fit for her arsenal at this point. I think steel fans would be cool for her like Kitana from Mortal Kombat.

I think her sword pre-52 was cool. Her sword keeps breaking?

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Breakable sword or unbreakable lasso. This seems like a no brainer on which she should ditch.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Breakable sword or unbreakable lasso. This seems like a no brainer on which she should ditch.

but her sword isn´t meant to be breakable. it´s meant to be sharp enough to slice an electron off an atom. plus both are cool

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Archizooom

@jphulk26: It broke to smithereens when she drove it into Superman's arm in Injustice, otherwise Wonder Woman would've sliced his head off and gotten their death match over with. Then she slammed her shield into his face and despite being forged from the same material, the shield stayed in one piece

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like both sword and lasso but I do think there not using the lasso enough.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Give her that Chainsaw on a sign post Atomic Wonder Woman has.

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26: It broke to smithereens when she drove it into Superman's arm in Injustice, otherwise Wonder Woman would've sliced his head off and gotten their death match over with. Then she slammed her shield into his face and despite being forged from the same material, the shield stayed in one piece

Well Injustice isn't canon. In the New 52, Wonder Woman's sword of Hephaestus has never been broken. She's occasionally does use swords that Hephaestus didn't make, and those ones can be broken via magic. But it isn't useless in the new 52 considering it helped her in her fight against Zod and Faora, brought Doomsday to his knees for a few moments, pierced Darkseid's eye and gave Aquaman a chance to do the same with his Trident. In fact, if she never had a sword, Darkseid might have won.

PaulBulman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Like many items in comics, or general media for that matter, they can tend to be plot devices that serve a function for the situation. That said, Diana's sword is effective as demonstrated multiple times in the comics. But what makes the sword even more useful is Diana herself - she's been trained in sword and shield combat (to name one martial art) from a young age, and is well versed in the art to have the confidence and skill to apply a sword to most any given combat scenario.

I think the sword for Diana is still relevant and holds use.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

What else do you want her to wield, an inconveniently large laser cannon? Also, her bracelets can summon and replace her swords easily, that makes them as valuable as an unbreakable sword. I like that she's using the shield more than the sword in Justice League currently, it makes Diana seem more like the peaceful ambassador who used to draw her sword as a last resort.

MikeHoolihan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By MikeHoolihan

Her sword was never meant to be unbreakable, but for someone to say that it keeps getting broken that is a lie.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus said:

Well Injustice isn't canon. In the New 52, Wonder Woman's sword of Hephaestus has never been broken. She's occasionally does use swords that Hephaestus didn't make, and those ones can be broken via magic. But it isn't useless in the new 52 considering it helped her in her fight against Zod and Faora, brought Doomsday to his knees for a few moments, pierced Darkseid's eye and gave Aquaman a chance to do the same with his Trident. In fact, if she never had a sword, Darkseid might have won.

According to Lex and Batman's estimate, Wonder Woman with a sword wouldn't have lasted more than 10 minutes against Doomsday. Then Superman killed the creature with his bare hands, imagine what he could've done with a sword like Wonder Woman's, slaying Doomsday would've been a cinch. The sword puts Wonder Woman LEAGUES below Superman's level and it blands her out. She's got a perfectly good iconic lasso which no one else has.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yeah, that´s effing stupid. that pisses me off.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sword and shield are both lame IMO. What reason does she need a shield when she's got the bracelets? the sword is generic. LASSO!!

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@klaus said:

According to Lex and Batman's estimate, Wonder Woman with a sword wouldn't have lasted more than 10 minutes against Doomsday. Then Superman killed the creature with his bare hands, imagine what he could've done with a sword like Wonder Woman's, slaying Doomsday would've been a cinch. The sword puts Wonder Woman LEAGUES below Superman's level and it blands her out. She's got a perfectly good iconic lasso which no one else has.

How does the sword make up for Superman being able to do stuff though? You think she would have done better against Doomsday without the sword?

And yes, she has a lasso, but not everything calls for a lasso and to continually put her in situations that would is silly. Why can't she have both and just use whatever's best for the situation?

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Archizooom

@scouterv said:

How does the sword make up for Superman being able to do stuff though? You think she would have done better against Doomsday without the sword?

And yes, she has a lasso, but not everything calls for a lasso and to continually put her in situations that would is silly. Why can't she have both and just use whatever's best for the situation?

She would've done just as well without the sword and looked a lot more impressive. You see for the story's sake, Wonder Woman couldn't kill Doomsday because Superman was supposed to do that. If Wonder Woman didn't have a sword, she would've fought him without it, with exactly the same result.

The sword makes Wonder Woman way deadlier than she's supposed to be which means that writers need to find ways to neutralize it in order to prolong the story. In a nutshell, the sword is useless.

And she doesn't have to be put in situations where she can use the lasso but rather adapt the lasso to whatever situation she finds herself in.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

@csg_cl said:

sword and shield are both lame IMO. What reason does she need a shield when she's got the bracelets? the sword is generic. LASSO!!

i like the sword & shield but the lasso is where its at for me. its a unique weapon to fit a unique character that fits her character....and imo writers that forgo using it are being lazy

i know they want to streamline diana so her character is easier to write but they lose so much good in the process

Klaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@brunnhilde: Batman also said that Wonder Woman was his contingency plan to destroy Superdoom, should his first plan fail. Superdoom is more powerful than Doomsday. Character statements don't mean much.

Wonder Woman defeated Mongul supposedly without her sword, imagine how much easier it would have been with it. The only reason Doomsday was portrayed as being so powerful was because he is a Superman villain. I have no doubt that if Superman had fought the First Born in WWs title, he would have lost that fight also. Orion did.

As for the sword, point still stands. Superman's punches did no damage to Darkseid when he first appeared. The only people that were actually able to cause any harm were Aquaman and Wonder Woman and that was only BECAUSE of their weapons. The sword does increase her level as a threat.

Archizooom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Archizooom

@klaus: It does and it doesn't up her level. In theory, the sword should make Wonder Woman 10x deadlier, deadlier than she's supposed to be. What has Wonder Woman done with the sword that she couldn't have done without it? She stabbed Doomsday and the Minotaur to absolutely no consequence; She killed parademons; She absorbed a blast of heat vision and burned Faora's face which she could've just as well done with the bracelets; She could've blinded Darkseid in some other way, with a wee bit of imagination.

Obviously since they've given her a sword, now they have to have her utilize it. She doesn't need it though. Where the sword could really make a difference is against the likes of Doomsday, but for the sake of prolonging the story, she can't just cut off his head. And when Wonder Woman fails to slay Doomsday which then Superman does with his bare hands, how do you think that makes her look? It makes her look inefficient, and weak.

All the sword does is relegate her better, unique and iconic weapons to secondary status and make Wonder Woman look like a dime-a-dozen, sword-wielding warrior chick and crappy swordswoman. Ironically, she doesn't even look anywhere as badass as she does in her fighting scenes in some of the JL animated movies where she's wielded the lasso.

Avatar image for manhunter_prime
Manhunter_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I won't speak to whether she's more effective with or without the sword, but the sword is the most versatile of medieval weapons and probably the easiest for her to carry on her person, and works if she's just going into an unknown or seemingly typical situation.

But I think it would be pretty cool if she switched it up more often. Maybe give her a halberd for some of her big fights and let her strap it to her back. And most definitely always have the lasso.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

i like the sword & shield but the lasso is where its at for me. its a unique weapon to fit a unique character that fits her character....and imo writers that forgo using it are being lazy

i know they want to streamline diana so her character is easier to write but they lose so much good in the process

They do lose a ton in the process. WW can be WW without a sword and without a shield, but IMO the character is NOT WW without the bracers or the lasso. They are absolutely embedded into the characters "dna". If you look at all the support characters who picked up the mantle or took on the role of Wonder Girl you'll see that all have bracers and lassos too. It's distinctive, and quite honestly I'd rather not make her more generic to make it easier for writers/artists. Honestly how hard can it really be?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: Not that hard. Different people just have their own vision of WW. They don't care what others have done for her. They want what they think is best for her. Most of them could care less for the lasso so they use the sword and shield instead. I think its dumb but it is what it is.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl: Not that hard. Different people just have their own vision of WW. They don't care what others have done for her. They want what they think is best for her. Most of them could care less for the lasso so they use the sword and shield instead. I think its dumb but it is what it is.

well clearly it's not actually hard since they do it so often :)

Personally I think she needs a stronger editorial team to keep writers away from running amok, but that comes with a whole other set of issues. But it's clear that WW doesn't have a clear set of editorial guidelines that is being enforced across multiple titles. Hopefully John's version will gain more traction given his elevated position at DC (yes I know that's wishful thinking).

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She needs a pair or Chainsaw Nunchucks.

No Caption Provided

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Maybe make her an archer. :p. Or give her a spear. Or just give her the lasso and bracelets and nothing else (weapon wise) and call it a day.

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_sophie: Those are good ideas. I have to agree with Brunnhilde's points as well. It look pretty silly when Diana shoves a god-made sword in to Doomsday and it barely hurts him while Superman rips him in half effortlessly.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never understood what was wrong the battleaxe she had during the Perez years? It was unique to her, monogrammed with her initials, plus it looked cooler and more intimidating than a sword. Also I could see her tying her lasso to it and using both to wreak long range havoc.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Avatar image for greatkirbysghost
GreatKirbysGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If they're going for the warrior-from-the-ancient-world design, she should have an entire mythical armory at her disposal to change out her weapons as needed. Just rip off Greg Pak's later Hercules books for that idea. No reason not to. Marvel doesn't own the concept of ironic peplum films in comic book format and Azzarello/Chiang's WW books are exactly that.

GreatKirbysGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe make her an archer.

I don't understand why this idea wasn't made standard for Wonder Woman a long time ago. The Amazons of yore were best known as women who altered their own bodies to become better archers, and while the DC Amazons don't engage in the same self-mutilation as the mythical type, they have been shown practicing at archery since back in the Golden Age. It fits perfectly.

My guess is they didn't want to risk displacing the DC archer heroes, especially now that they have their own TV series. I don't think giving Diana a bow would cause any real problems, though.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Why would someone who is damn near indestructible and almost as strong as Superman even need a weapon at all?

Avatar image for golden_robodude
Golden_Robodude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She needs ki blasts it would make her extremely op which she has to be

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#33  Edited By dernman

Pointless. The sword is a fictional tool that fits a purpose of their story telling. Unless they gave it some special property anything they replace it with would have the same problems in which case they could just do for the sword.

GreatKirbysGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By GreatKirbysGhost

Why would someone who is damn near indestructible and almost as strong as Superman even need a weapon at all?

To distinguish her more as a character. They do that a lot in superhero comics. "Green Machine Gun" doesn't have as nice a ring to it, and Marvel long ago decided that even when Wolverine doesn't have metal in his bones, he still has claws, because that's part of what makes him Wolverine. In Wonder Woman's case, she's long had her lasso and her bracers as an integral part of the character, and the TV show added her tiara as a thrown weapon. Swords and other ancient weapons just build on that idea using the current theme for her character.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_sophie said:

Maybe make her an archer.

I don't understand why this idea wasn't made standard for Wonder Woman a long time ago. The Amazons of yore were best known as women who altered their own bodies to become better archers, and while the DC Amazons don't engage in the same self-mutilation as the mythical type, they have been shown practicing at archery since back in the Golden Age. It fits perfectly.

My guess is they didn't want to risk displacing the DC archer heroes, especially now that they have their own TV series. I don't think giving Diana a bow would cause any real problems, though.

She used arrows, but not too often because they were Artemis' thing.

GreatKirbysGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've seen Diana use one before in an issue where she fought other Amazons. I just don't see a problem with giving her one as a usual thing now. It fits the character. Last I saw Artemis in DC's current line she seemed more infantry than anything and was using spears.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@golden_robodude: The whole JL needs to be extremely op. I mean Wally West level of op.

SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've seen Diana use one before in an issue where she fought other Amazons. I just don't see a problem with giving her one as a usual thing now. It fits the character. Last I saw Artemis in DC's current line she seemed more infantry than anything and was using spears.

I don't care, Artemis is coming back eventually and I want her to have access to her particular traits.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Still it's not like Diana cant use arrows sometimes, she did so as recently as one of her fights against First Born. She pulled the bow out of her bracelets.

GreatKirbysGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Artemis is coming back eventually and I want her to have access to her particular traits.

I can respect that. There's a transcendental power to all these superhero characters for people, as cheesy as they are sometimes. I think a lot of Arrow fans would be unhappy too.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Nah. The sword is cool!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dboyrules2011: It would be cool if it had a special ability but it practically like any other sword.

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somayareece:

but it practically like any other sword.

But it was strong enough to damage Darkseid's eye though. :p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dboyrules2011: Wasn't a standard crowbar also able to damage his eye? Lol

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@somayareece: Oh, wow. A crowbar? Really?

I also recall Batman making him bleed with a kick, LMAO.