The Reason For Wonder Woman's New Costume

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Wonder Woman debuted as a character back in 1941 in ALL-STAR COMICS #8. Over the years, she has had some minor changes made to her costume but it's always stayed pretty much the same. She has gone from a skirt to no skirt to even pants for a bit (but we won't get into that).

In the New 52, her costume design had a familiar look to it with some minor adjustments. Below you can see Jim Lee's take on her along with Jason Fabok's recent version, both from the pages of JUSTICE LEAGUE.

No Caption Provided

When the cover to WONDER WOMAN #41, by David Finch, was first revealed, we saw she would be getting a new costume that was more of a departure from what we were used to. It has more of an armor-feel to it. We have seen Diana wear the occasional Amazonian battle armor but this appears to be a little more practical for her day to day missions.

The big questions is, why is she now suddenly changing her outfit?

It turns out it's more of a personal reason. There isn't a huge calamity that is making her suit up as she prepares to embark on a major battle. While her costume as always been a symbol of sorts, to her it represents the time when she was younger and left Themyscira for "Man's world."

No Caption Provided

Wonder Woman has been through a lot in the New 52. She's been through some changes. For her, changing her costume is like shedding her old skin. A new one represents the changes she's gone through and who she is now. It is to represent her roles as a god, a queen, and a superhero.

No Caption Provided

So what's the take on it? We've long debated about the practicality of her original costume. It is "classic" but it's hard to get over the idea of Diana basically wearing a bathing suit with boots.

No Caption Provided

Fabok's design was great in giving it a more practical look while still retaining some of the classic feel. This new outfit does give her more of a warrior look mixed with making her look a little regal. At the same time, it also looks like she feels she needs to cover up more to protect herself, which we know isn't the case.

There's also the spikes that come out of her wrist gauntlets. What will she use those for?

As seen in this issue, despite being the God of War, Diana sometimes chooses to try to talk things out rather than go straight for the fight. Those spikes could easily impale someone. They could also serve the purpose of blocking or shielding herself from attacks against weapons. She could probably also use them to open letters and packages.

The boots seem like a bit much. As a guy, I can't really speak on the practicality of wearing thigh-high boots. Maybe there's nothing wrong or different. Depending on the material, to me it seems it could get in the way of her agility or being able to fully bend her knees. I'm sure the weight of the gauntlets and shoulder pads also won't throw off her balance and we'll still see her fully capable of diving into a battle without being hampered.

It's just a little hard to imagine her moving so agile as we've recently seen in the pages of JUSTICE LEAGUE #39.

No Caption Provided

Obviously we'll have to wait to see her fully in action in the new outfit. In WONDER WOMAN #41 and SUPERMAN/WONDER WOMAN #18, she didn't get a chance to cut loose just yet.

What are your thoughts on the change? Can you let go of the "classic" look and embrace the change? Has it already grown on you?

Let us know what you think.

(Note: if you get a "session expired" notice, refresh the page).

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#1  Edited By SaintWildcard

Well, i like her reasoning. Costume could tone it back a bit though

YOu can keep the black stuff. The official new suit feels like it has a bit much going on. Overall I like the costume, it looks good. 8/10

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love to read the issue, but I trade wait WW, and I'm barely on Volume 3 I think.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

YOu can keep the black stuff. The official new suit feels like it has a bit much going on. Overall I like the costume, it looks good. 8/10

this takes away all the wrong stuff lol like the pants and the cover are half the reason for the outfit now she's more revealing than her original

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard said:

this takes away all the wrong stuff lol like the pants and the cover are half the reason for the outfit now she's more revealing than her original

Nah, that's why I said keep the black stuff, which I guess are pants and an under shirt. I'm just saying tone it back on all the colors and stars. I really liked the silver and or platinum on Diana more than the gold.

Impervious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Still not sure how I feel about it :I

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

dont agree with the reasoning tho i just wish this run of ww would end altogether

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

#7  Edited By black_wreath

I approve of costume changes in general.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Outside_85

Don't like it, don't agree with the reasoning behind it.

She wants something to reflect all her roles and her own maturity... so why on gods green earth does she jump into something that makes her look like a circus performer?

Edit: And if giving her pants is all that really matters to people, whats wrong with this?:

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453
deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I feel like the thigh high boots would be impractical for a super hero/warrior queen/god/princess. Although I am a dude so i have no first hand experience to support that theory, that being said I also just don't like the way they look. I do have one question though do the gold gauntlets still serve the same purpose that the silver ones did, i.e restraining Diana's godly powers? Or is that no longer an issue for her since she became the God of War?

Avatar image for punk_wondergirl
Punk_Wondergirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Punk_Wondergirl

I don't know how i fully feel about it but one thing I definitely don't like are her boots. They should have just keept the same ones she had before

shinobi62676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saintwildcard: I don't know who made that picture redesign, but if you change the white stripes on her boots to silver, the blue shorts/skirt thing black, and all the star symbols on her tiara and shoulder pads red, it would look near perfect.

staypuffed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

I like it.

BlueJay2324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm... While I don't like the boots, I'm not sure if someone of Superman level strength and speed would be hindered when using them. I mean obviously material needs to be taken into account but unless this is some god-level leather I don't see the problem. Look wise, I was a big fan when the redesign was first announced but further expecting it now I'm left wanting. I've never been much for gold and this runs with that (I'm assuming in order to highlight her regalness). And as someone mentioned, the stars are a little much. I would loved to have seen a version with her more traditional color scheme, and I'm sure the Finch's had that idea at one point, and I'm sure that once I see that concept art I'll be forever haunted by what could have been (it'll be New 52 Supergirl all over again).

On another note, seeing Jason Fabok's Wonder Woman so closely to Finch and Lee's interpretation really just drives home why I haven't been liking the art on this title. Even in the scene where she's jumping Fabok has created an almost flawless image of the character while I can't really say the same for even a power pose by Finch. Maybe it's just me though.

PhantomUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whatever fictional "in universe" excuse they try, the truth is that the CHORFs and Social Justice Warriors wouldn't shut up about "sexism" etc in comics and this is throwing them a bone.

Joey Ravn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Whatever fictional "in universe" excuse they try, the truth is that the CHORFs and Social Justice Warriors wouldn't shut up about "sexism" etc in comics and this is throwing them a bone.

Let's play "Spot the bitter GamerGater!".

I won!

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#16  Edited By HolySerpent

Feminist. That's really the only true reason everybody's onboard with this,

But what they did to Superman and Batman and even Hal Jordan is crime against humanity.

PhantomUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joey_ravn: Nope. Don't even play video games. But you just blew your cover by employing a classic CHORF/SJW tactic: accuse someone of something perjorative to avoid discussing real issues.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

I'm all for her getting a new costume, even though she just had received a new costume by Fabok in the JL which was very well-received but I wish they had gone with a better design. I don't know what happens to artists when they try to give WW pants and we ending up getting those over-the-top overdesigned messes (well not always but still). And this one would have been better if they had kept it more simple.

Avatar image for currentthor2015
CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not really a DC guy (Only read The Flash) but I like this new costume

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couldn't resist.

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The redesign is another head scratching decision by DC. Fabok's design was met with pretty much overwhelming praise, so naturally DC chose to change it immediately. WHY??

VickBat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By VickBat

my biggest problem is the change to yellow, I like the silver of her crown, her bracelets, everything that is now yellow ... And now as before New 52 ...

Very high boots, overly ... On the dark blue clothes.. is eventually, right? Shading is too dark as her hair and not fit ..

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I liked her costume from the animated movie Justice League: War. Her worst costume change was the one she had right before Flashpoint.

KingKaijuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Personally she feels more like a warrior or of higher class than the old design. Not in a "revealing outfitst make her classless" kind of way. But in design and history especially of male characters who come from royalty, they are usually dressed to impress.

And as far as practicability goes, it's a comic so it doesn't matter THAT much. Too many heroes/villains who've had non-realistic costumes, to start caring now!

Snipergallo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azza04 said:

The redesign is another head scratching decision by DC. Fabok's design was met with pretty much overwhelming praise, so naturally DC chose to change it immediately. WHY??

I know, I think Fabok is the best, she really looked like a kickass warrior

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Among all the new costumes, this one is the best.

The Justice League costume is a really cool update to the the classic one, and i love it! But its still more Xena for me. This new costume looks so fresh and regal. She is GLORIOUS!!!

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Mark_Stephen

This is basically like when Ms. Marvel changed her costume. Suddenly no one liked the boots, the boots were 'hooker boots' to quote KSD. Then there were comments about the swimsuit style and finally Carol just grabbed someone else's name. I doubt Diana will grab someone else's name, not that she goes by Wonder Woman that much anymore. Secret Identities are becoming the comic book equivalent of the Edsel with writers looking upon them with the same sort of attitude.

What it comes down to is that it doesn't matter if we like the costume or not, we have no power to affect it one way or another. Personally I thought the old suit was ok, but then I also thought that the amazons not being a bronze age tribe of murdering rapist was ok, and Diana not being the daughter of Zeus was ok. There's a lot of change in comics these days and I wonder at the reasons. Are they desperate for attention, are the tired of the same thing or are they deliberately setting out to anger old fans?

Anyway as I said it doesn't matter what we think. I doubt this will affect sales and that's the only thing that I think matters. Might as well embrace it, it's not like she still isn't naked beneath the costume (as Rita Rudner would say) and everyone's doing it. Heck over in Dick Tracy Little Orphan Annie and Honeymoon are at the mall shopping for new outfits.

(Sunday strip)

http://www.gocomics.com/dicktracy/

JTMac005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azza04: I think FABOK has a better design, and good outlook on costumes in general. He said that superheroes shouldn't wear the same outfit every single day. I agree

This looks like something ROB LIEFELD designed in the 90s. It isn't terrible but too much red and sharp angles for me

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@azza04 said:

Fabok's skirt design is perfection(I'm so happy they went that way for the live action version). This new costume is too complicated and a lil overly conservative. Stylistically, imo, the excess black under armor(which goes all the way to her neck) and the huge shoulder armor doesn't look good.

I mean what is the obsession with black being a colour in outfits of characters like superman and wonder woman. I personally hate that. Their outfits need to reflect their character.

If it's the question of comfort and maneuverability, no way is this outfit as good. The reasoning of her parting with her old outfit because it represented her youth or whatever is bs. DC need's to make some better executive decisions, as of now they're seriously questionable.

cdw101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whats Hephaestus's powers apart from being Dc's version of Marvels forge?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 the_stegman  Moderator

I like the Fabok one more, but this one is good too. As long as she no longer has those stupid panties.

Avatar image for deactivated-61d5b935096d2
deactivated-61d5b935096d2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The spikes are ridiculous, the shoulder pads are ridiculous, the V is ridiculous, there's too much black and the boots are too high. Other than that it's OK.

But it is only a costume and shouldn't hinder my enjoyment too much, hopefully (though the writing might).

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I like it. The pants are a nice change, but I don't think the tunic needed much changing.

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wonder if she uses Calgon or fabric softener or both, and if just putting that thing in the washing machine alone qualifies it for a heavy load.

Crimsonlord53

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So that's where jessica drew crotch triangle got too. It's a little busy and could use some stream lining I could grew to like it tight now not so much.

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@snipergallo said:
@azza04 said:

Fabok's skirt design is perfection(I'm so happy they went that way for the live action version). This new costume is too complicated and a lil overly conservative. Stylistically, imo, the excess black under armor(which goes all the way to her neck) and the huge shoulder armor doesn't look good.

I mean what is the obsession with black being a colour in outfits of characters like superman and wonder woman. I personally hate that. Their outfits need to reflect their character.

If it's the question of comfort and maneuverability, no way is this outfit as good. The reasoning of her parting with her old outfit because it represented her youth or whatever is bs. DC need's to make some better executive decisions, as of now they're seriously questionable.

Yeah it's far to conservative for me personally. I don't mind her armor covering her chest which makes sense but it doesn't look right with her arms and legs completely covered.

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also prefer the classic look, but change is good. As long it's not permanent..... the new costume isn't that bad.

GC8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1422

User Lists: 8

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jtmac005 said:

@azza04: I think FABOK has a better design, and good outlook on costumes in general. He said that superheroes shouldn't wear the same outfit every single day. I agree

This looks like something ROB LIEFELD designed in the 90s. It isn't terrible but too much red and sharp angles for me

I love how Fabok has drawn the shield on her back with the straps over her shoulders. She looks like a fighter.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#43  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

She is meant to be a Greek warrior goddess, why do people find it so hard to make her look like one?

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I generally like it, but parts of the costume are over-designed. There is no need for the stars on her side and the white line through the front of the boots. Makes the costume look too busy. I also don't support thigh high boots. Shin-high boots are good enough.

It's still not as bad as Superman removing his belt or underwear to break up his costume. I don't think I will ever stop seeing that as weird.

safefruitcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I find it strange that they thought they needed a reason for the costume change. Just change it. We don't need a reason other than WW felt like getting a new suit.

Anyway, the costume's ok. I don't love it, I don't hate it. It's fine.

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By NukeA6

Wonder Woman's reason for a costume change is obviously to appease SJWs. Even Ares (both pre and post Flashpoint versions) shows more skin than that.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Aros001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Why does this article make is sound like people hated it when Wonder Woman wore pants?

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did not protect her much from getting her ass kicked near the end of #41, its useless.

Avatar image for grandsymbiote94
GrandSymbiote94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like everything but the boots.