Sensation comics! First Issue Discussion (Spoiler!)

whygamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By whygamespot

Generally I like this one. Good art, interesting plot. Probably because Simone is rather comfortable writing Barbara so we had her to introduce the story, which was pretty nice. Although I am not a Gotham fan but this angle may attract some readers of this taste.

I laughed when I read Diana saying: All due respect to Bruce, I really fail to see what all the fuss is about. A few petty thieves, laden heavily with gaudy fetishes and gimmickry. I'll put your house in order, Bruce. And I won't even need a car.

Although she did brought an army to the streets of Gotham. I guess the ladies were so bored at home that they'd like to throw some petty criminals in jail for fun.

One weird thing: I didn't see her rope...

So what do you guys think? Better than this month's SW/WW?

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Simone has done better work IMO ... But it wasn't bad. For a digital first first issue it works.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By SaintWildcard

INB4 angry batfa... too late

Avatar image for killerinstinct4588
killerinstinct4588

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toplel said:

So she writes his villains as idiots and then has Diana diss them. Smart.

I'm sure I could eat an alphabet book and s*** a better story than this.

I agree with you on this, but maybe you can simplify when Batman is writing more superior to other heroes rouge gallery for example a few would be Lex, Darkseid, and etc... (Except for when Geoff Johns writing it)

It's not cool when writers makes a Superhero take a shit on another Superhero rouge gallery.

Also to add, the run started off kind of bad IMO... I wasn't sure if I was reading a sensation comics or an detective comics?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

Feels like this was written in a hurry... and by someone else, Simone was to my memory not as poor a writer as this was. And perhaps this was just an elseworlds-type of book but:

• The Batman villains felt like they were pre-BTAS or more likely pre-Miller/Moore (when was the last time the Riddler wore that outfit?)
  • Doing it Gotham Style... ok, Barbara of all people would know better than think a phrase like that meant sticking to throwing things, considering all of them break limbs using their bare hands every night they are out.
  • I am missing a sense of scope with the situation, but apparently Diana can contradict herself when saying 'just a couple of thugs' and then respond with that last page.

This first issue seemed like a wasted opportunity to do something really interesting, but decided not to.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#7  Edited By Erik
CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: well the whole series is meant to be canon free so writers can take lots of liberties with characterization. I like the approach this implies as it has potential to blow open some interesting confrontations that wouldn't be possible in-continuity. Granted this story falls flat, but the good news is we'll be getting totally different stuff on a weekly basis ... Which means we're bound to get some less than stellar work and my guess is more than our share of BM and SM fanboy hate when writers do what Simone did this week and ego bruise the Bat's rogues.

killerinstinct4588

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

@outside_85: well the whole series is meant to be canon free so writers can take lots of liberties with characterization. I like the approach this implies as it has potential to blow open some interesting confrontations that wouldn't be possible in-continuity. Granted this story falls flat, but the good news is we'll be getting totally different stuff on a weekly basis ... Which means we're bound to get some less than stellar work and my guess is more than our share of BM and SM fanboy hate when writers do what Simone did this week and ego bruise the Bat's rogues.

So you enjoyed Wonder Woman acting like Batman by throwing knock off Batarangs?

I can't help to notice this is more of a Batman story starring Wonder Woman, and I don't think you should start off her solo run like this.

In SM/WW she becoming less important and her digital tittle begins at Gotham. It just seems like writers have zero interest and writing her unless they can use other things (SM-BM-JL) Wonder Woman can't catch a break :(

Even Azz at first didn't want to do WW at the beginning!

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By CSG_CL

@killerinstinct4588: don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say the issue was stellar and said so earlier. But let's be clear, it's not a "solo series" it's an anthology and it's technically elseworlds or out of continuity so writers have options that may make writing her of more interest to a wider talent pool. This story isn't in any way meant to establish a "starting point" for a series, it's just a single 2-part story then we'll get a whole new team for the next story. We're going to have bad stories I with this format, but we will also get awesome ones (I hope).

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I knew from Gail's interview this was going to suck, but I didn't know it would be this bad. Wonder-rangs? Really? Wow.

killerinstinct4588

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csg_cl said:

@killerinstinct4588: don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say the issue was stellar and said so earlier. But let's be clear, it's not a "solo series" it's an anthology and it's technically elseworlds or out of continuity so writers have options that may make writing her of more interest to a wider talent pool. This story isn't in any way meant to establish a "starting point" for a series, it's just a single 2-part story then we'll get a whole new team for the next story. We're going to have bad stories I with this format, but we will also get awesome ones (I hope).

Sorry :(

And since you put it like that, I'm fine with the direction now :)

@scorpio_cassadine said:

I knew from Gail's interview this was going to suck, but I didn't know it would be this bad. Wonder-rangs? Really? Wow.

Yea, I would've been ok without those lol

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killerinstinct4588: Simone was an overly obvious choice for the first story line and went into her standard BG-bag-o-tricks ... Was nice to see Babs as Oracle again, but the story was nothing special ... And the wonder rangs were a silly and pointless addition

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By FoamBorn

I was mightily disappointed to be honest, Simone produced one of my favorite Wonder Woman runs so I was convinced she was gonna smash this one out of the park. The W-shaped shurikens were a bit silly, I would've liked to see Wonder Woman fight like an Amazon and in my opinion, without prep-time Batman's foes shouldn't be so challenging for such a powerful being like Diana. The art was the bottom of the barrel, the layout design was amateurish like there was no effort put into it, Wonder Woman's gone through such a rough patch since the launch of the new 52, it's such a shame

whygamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, I've got to say I didn't expect people to be so disappointed at this issue. To me it just seem like a humorous story, and I have very low expectation of WW story. I am just glad to see Diana in her old costume and that she wasn't yelling and frowning in bad temper like she's usually portrayed in stories other than her solo.

dmessmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dmessmer

I was excited about the concept for this series, but this was really bad. I know they'll have new creative teams, but why start on such a sour note? The art really concerns me - you'd think they'd kick off the series with the best they've got, but this was horrible. In that first shot of the Wonder-angs (which are so, so, so stupid) her breasts look like a pair of boxing gloves hanging from her neck.

I also don't understand why the story is in Gotham. Again, this is the first issue - it would seem to me it should showcase Wonder Woman. I'd be fine with a story in Gotham later, but in the first issue it's a terrible choice. There is also a huge lack of consistency - Oracle calls on Wonder Woman precisely because of who she is (thus she rejects Flash, Green Lantern ("too cosmic"? Really?), and Superman) then expects her to not be who she is.

I normally like Gail Simone, but she's proven before that she can be prone to some real stinkers. This might be the stinkiest of all.

killerinstinct4588

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@toplel:

I think Batman beating darkseid is pretty idiotic (No offence intended).

killerinstinct4588

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dmessmer said:

I was excited about the concept for this series, but this was really bad. I know they'll have new creative teams, but why start on such a sour note? The art really concerns me - you'd think they'd kick off the series with the best they've got, but this was horrible. In that first shot of the Wonder-angs (which are so, so, so stupid) her breasts look like a pair of boxing gloves hanging from her neck.

I also don't understand why the story is in Gotham. Again, this is the first issue - it would seem to me it should showcase Wonder Woman. I'd be fine with a story in Gotham later, but in the first issue it's a terrible choice. There is also a huge lack of consistency - Oracle calls on Wonder Woman precisely because of who she is (thus she rejects Flash, Green Lantern ("too cosmic"? Really?), and Superman) then expects her to not be who she is.

I normally like Gail Simone, but she's proven before that she can be prone to some real stinkers. This might be the stinkiest of all.

Agreed 100%

Avatar image for darknightspideyfanboy
darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

errr this writer has written ww b4 right because this suck badly

natvin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aw MAN!

Can somebody PLEASE help me get on board with this digital comics thing?!

I don't have an iPhone or iPad or whatever else you technies call it.

I'm not too tech savvy. I've never dealt with digital comics before. But all I know is that I WANT TO SEE THIS NEW SENSATIONS COMIC!

So can anybody PM me or email me with some step by step thing?

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@natvin:

The issue comes out in paper on wednesday, you know?

KaraZor-el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Umm im noticing the cover doesnt say new 52. Is it not canon??????

KaraZor-el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just read it. Sucked. Not even new 52 canon. What a waste.

Zarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for i_dont_like_comics
i_dont_like_comics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

KaraZor-el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zarius: not to me. Its a pointless story to me.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

When the moment comes that the New 52 will be rebooted and everything canon will be thrown out of the window then you are gonna be pretty disappointed. I would advice you to invest in good stories, not continuity because continuity NEVER lasts.

killerinstinct4588

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karazor-el said:

When the moment comes that the New 52 will be rebooted and everything canon will be thrown out of the window then you are gonna be pretty disappointed. I would advice you to invest in good stories, not continuity because continuity NEVER lasts.

Amen

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

It was a huge mess imo. Not gonna pick it up.

Bsaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: by your whiny ass logic good stories shouldn't last either, considering that they can sometimes rely heavily on continuity.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

#34  Edited By Squalleon

@bsaa said:

@squalleon: by your whiny ass logic good stories shouldn't last either, considering that they can sometimes rely heavily on continuity.

I don't see how I am whining and comic books tend to be accessible. Even the best stories of the pre-52 with 20 plus years of continuity behind them could be read easily without needing to take everything from the start. Try to be less of a smarta$$ next time.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

@bsaa said:

by your whiny ass logic good stories shouldn't last either, considering that they can sometimes rely heavily on continuity.

Insults aren't allowed here. Think of a less hostile comment next time.

kidstandout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By kidstandout

@bsaa said:

I don't see how I am whining and comic books tend to be accessible. Even the best stories of the pre-52 with 20 plus years of continuity behind them could be read easily without needing to take everything from the start. Try to be less of a smarta$$ next time.

guess what though, pre 52 aint ever coming back and honestly, good riddens. people seem to forget how shitty post crisis era ww was.

regardless shit issue is shit issue, doesn't matter if it's new 52 or not. gail is incapable of writing a ww without inserting nostalgia or random pc changes at the expense of the plot.

darknightspideyfanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i know this about issue 1 but yeah just read issue 2 all i gotta say is gail please dont come back to WW