Odyssey by JMS.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By Bezza

Recommend it or not? Tempted to add a tp to my growing library of WW books.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By dshipp17

Are you trying to get the full picture of the Wonder Woman character, or are you just collecting the material that portrays her as rooted in Greek Mythology? Before, I asked if you'd read Wonder Woman, starting with Marston, and proceeded forward, and you didn't respond; however, you responded to other posters who pointed out the Greek Mythology angle of Azz's run; while there's a small Greek Mythology part of Wonder Woman, that's not the complete picture of Wonder Woman; how exactly do you want Wonder Woman to be portrayed, as she really is or as something else? If you answer those types of questions than someone can let you know whether you might enjoy Odyssey or not; if you're looking to build upon your idea that Wonder Woman is based in Greek Mythology, than, from one of my prior comments, you should probably take a look at it; I wouldn't said what I said in relation to the Greek Mythology angle had I not actually read through Odyssey; I sat through that just I'd sat through Azz's run.

dmessmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Odyssey, in my opinion, is pretty awful. It was an attempt to re-imagine the character pretty drastically, yet the changes didn't last very long (the New 52 wiped them out completely). I don't think it's had much "canonical" impact, and the story isn't very good, so I would recommend that you pass. There's a lot of much better stuff out there regardless of your tastes.

Avatar image for scorpio_cassadine
SCORPIO_CASSADINE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked it. Most fans had a negative knee-jerk reaction to the costume change and the way it was presented and allowed that to color how they viewed the Odyssey. They went in wanting to hate it from the start and it therefore became a self-fulfilling prophesy. It really wasn't as bad as people make it out to be. In fact, parts of it were excellent. I found it much more entertaining than Simone's run that preceded it and Azzarello's that followed it. The run was dark and innovative, yet it made every attempt to remain true to the core of what Wonder Woman represents. In addition Diana came off as younger, cooler, tougher and more violent than past interpretations and I loved that.

No Caption Provided

This where she seemingly wipes out a whole battalion of soldiers by killing them with their own bullets that ricocheted off her bracelets.

No Caption Provided

This is the majorly controversial scene that is probably one of Wonder Woman's best badass moments.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

This is where she finally learns to fly. Check it out and see for yourself whether you like the Odyssey or not.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

It sorta falls out of line with how Wonder Woman normally was, which I think is the major gripe alot of people have with it; they didn't want a teenage WW that grew up under vastly different circumstances. (Think if you had called her Donna, no one would have batted an eye)

But that is what you get with Odyssey, plus the only version of Dr. Psycho thats actually sympathetic.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dshipp17:

I am basically just trying to cheaply build up a library of WW books when I see them going on Amazon, so nothing as sophisticated as trying to pick a particular run, or anything deeper or more rational!

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

I really wouldn't. People complain about Azzarello's run but this has done more damage than that run ever will. Terrible writing, poorly executed changes to the Wonder Woman origin, a horrible handle on the overall plot and direction of the story that resulted in a needless change to the character. Plus it was wiped out by the New 52 so it really was pointless in essence. Still that's a good thing considering the poor quality of this arc.

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By WDW

@bezza said:

Recommend it or not? Tempted to add a tp to my growing library of WW books.

I would get it. I did not think it was bad. Was an interesting take...Most complaints are about her powerlevel and costume.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

..interesting, I think I will read through it first when I visit Forbidden Planet, rather than blind buy it. Cheers people.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd love to check it out some time at least. They have volume two at the library. If I can find volume one at Barns & Noble I might give them a read.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#11  Edited By dernman

There were things I liked. One of those small things was what they did with Cheetah, Artemis, and Giganta. I'm working on a reimagining with something similar but also incorporating it a but with the more well known stuff.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

One thing I like about you is that you can never be accused of sitting on the fence!!

@scorpio_cassadine Like those scans, it certainly is a book that intruiges me, I always like a different take on a character providing it doesn't completely change a character's core values.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: And I do admire how level headed and carefully you make your choices in what you say and do.

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger.

.I do try, glad someone appreciates it, because I was accused by another WW Forum user of acting like a teenage girl the other day!!! I think my teenage daughter would disagree! Mad Middle aged comic/Super-hero fan maybe!

WDW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza said:

@scorpio_cassadine Like those scans, it certainly is a book that intruiges me, I always like a different take on a character providing it doesn't completely change a character's core values.

Then getting JMS run is worth it.

I agree with you about different takes on a character. Without them we would never get anything new an exciting.... Some takes are good some are bad but I buy them all anyway and make my comments known about them.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bezza: Seems like some Wonder Woman fans are getting the wrong message of you then hahaha :P

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Odysessy had its moments. I like it at times, but I just don´t see the need to constantly change the character so wildly, rather than explore her mythos in different ways. But apart from that I prefer Odysessy art work and story to the current run.