#1 Edited by Trodorne (2574 posts) - - Show Bio

Serious question though. Back in issue 600 when Wonder Woman got the change in costume the biggest shock to me about the whole thing was not the costume but the fans. Why are people getting so frazzled over the fact that Wonder Woman is wearing pants?

#2 Posted by kgb725 (6013 posts) - - Show Bio

People don't like change especially when it comes to something that presents itself with a lot of familiarity to someone

#3 Posted by veronicacris (110 posts) - - Show Bio

well you take away the cheesecake and some fans are crazy

#4 Edited by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

If she wears pants it's change and so comic fans don't like it. If she doesn't she's wearing an impractical bathing suit and fans don't like it.

#5 Posted by SheenLantern (6255 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725 said:

People don't like change especially when it comes to something that presents itself with a lot of familiarity to someone

What, Wonder Woman's legs?

#6 Posted by Bruxae (12649 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually preferred the pants. Honestly I think alot (not all) just wants their female characters showing as much skin as possible.

#7 Posted by 90mv (98 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer the no pants honestly, guys seem to have a bigger issue with it than women which is interesting,

#8 Posted by Wolverine08 (38891 posts) - - Show Bio

We need to see those sexy legs.

#9 Edited by Black_Arrow (2560 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by MPfly88 (118 posts) - - Show Bio

A: We want to see those sexy legs, as mentioned above.

B: She's an Amazon, and greek warriors in history have been known to wear very light armor.

C: It's unnecessary change.

@90mv said:

I prefer the no pants honestly, guys seem to have a bigger issue with it than women which is interesting,

Yes it's strange. Very very strange. I think some of it may have to do with the increase in white knighting that's been going on lately, and the common misconception of what is true female empowerment. Some people think that if a woman shows off skin, that it's sexist and demoralizing to women. As if a woman can't be proud and show off her body. See the problem there? That obviously isn't the case for every scantily clad female character, that are times where it's blatant fan service. In Diana's case, her armor has been an iconic part of her character for decades.

Point is if people want less scantily clad female heroes, fine that's one thing. But there are some things such as Wonder Woman's armor that have become so iconic and recognizable that it shouldn't be touched. Little tweaks here and there are fine, but no more than that. It's sad that people continue to complain about her outfit. As if her outfit has ANYTHING to do with the quality of writing in her comic series.

#11 Edited by RustyRoy (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

Dude you are way too much horny, control yourself.

#12 Posted by Fallschirmjager (15277 posts) - - Show Bio

@kgb725 said:

this.

#13 Posted by Wolverine08 (38891 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@wolverine08 said:

I can't. Being horny is what I do best :D

#14 Posted by RustyRoy (11119 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@wolverine08 said:

I'm sure you're also master at debating.

#15 Posted by el_contrarian (32 posts) - - Show Bio

I just think the pants look worse. I actually think the skirt outfits look best. Wonder Woman is supposed to be feminine and strong. Pants make her less feminine.

#16 Posted by Dernman (14763 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the pant's and the skirts. I'm not much a fan of the bathing suit look anymore.

#17 Posted by kapitein_zeppos (341 posts) - - Show Bio

Not so much the pants as the whole costume was kinda "meh", especially that 90's jacket. I can picture the high level discussions about adding tons of pouches, massive shoulder pads and spikes, give her a huge perm and a couple of guns that wouldn't look out of place on a battleship.

I'll be honest and say that I did warm up a bit to that one since as I feel the new costume's silver doesn't quite have the same look as the classic gold.

But then if you wait long enough the classic elements will return, I'm sure they will and all the current ruckus will be like a blip on the radar.

#18 Edited by jphulk26 (1311 posts) - - Show Bio

@trodorne said:

Serious question though. Back in issue 600 when Wonder Woman got the change in costume the biggest shock to me about the whole thing was not the costume but the fans. Why are people getting so frazzled over the fact that Wonder Woman is wearing pants?

its not a big problem, just another excuse. they could just alter it abit to be like armor for movies. as for cartoons and comics it really doesn´t matter. the suits iconic.

oh and to those saying we need to see those sexy legs, I hope your not the same people suggesting Gina Carrerno should be WW. because her legs certainly won´t be that sexy then.

#19 Edited by MatteoPG (1921 posts) - - Show Bio

If she wears pants it's change and so comic fans don't like it. If she doesn't she's wearing an impractical bathing suit and fans don't like it.

QFT.

You might say that you're the best at what you do, but what you do isn't always elegant ; )

#20 Posted by Wolverine08 (38891 posts) - - Show Bio

@matteopg said:

@spinningbirdcake said:

QFT.

@wolverine08 said:

You might say that you're the best at what you do, but what you do isn't always elegant ; )

Subtleness has never been my niche :D

#21 Posted by Overkill (404 posts) - - Show Bio

@rustyroy said:

@wolverine08 said:

It's not "too much", it's pretty normal for male comic readers (which is like a really big part of the comic readers) to think like that. You guys think it's just a coincidence that most of the superheroines and villainesses don't wear pants?

Don't try to find a deep reason behind it, people are upset because they love wonder legs. That's about it.

#22 Posted by ssbm (92 posts) - - Show Bio

i think in the comics and even animation it really doesn't make a difference but in a movie her covering up a bit more seems like a better idea just because well that might be the first time some little girl see her and whatever else happens in the film i don't want to see 7 year olds in hot pants trying to o a makeshift WW costume and well yea i dont think it takes anything away from the character giving her pants

#23 Edited by Teerack (5401 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really mind or care about her pants, but I do want her to have them. Wonder Woman is just such an iconic and important woman in comics that it just screams irresponsible to leave her lower butt cheeks hanging out of her panties... Considering when you go to cons you see girls 14 and down dressing as slutty as strippers with the excuse of "it's a costume."

the argument that Jim Lee gave at comic con was one of the saddest lies I've ever head. "I got rid of the pants because it was to hard to show movement when her boots and legs were both black." Hahaha I mean really? He shouldn't have said anything if that was all he could come up with. Aquaman has all green pants and boots, and Cyborg has all steel colored legs, but they don't have on booty shorts to "show movement better." lol Not to mention the stream of other characters with pants and boots the same color in DC.(Kyle Raynor, Catwoman, Nightwing, Superboy, etc.)

Ms. Marvel made the transition from Ms. to Captain and got a covered up costume. Elektra is getting a costume tweak to cover up her butt in her new book. clearly it's not impossible to alter classic costumes for the sake of cultural progression.

#24 Posted by SUNMAN (7141 posts) - - Show Bio

courtesy of the great Ryan Cho

#25 Posted by Lvenger (18429 posts) - - Show Bio

Chiang mentioned that his art style was much more fluid with Diana when Diana didn't have jeans. I suppose that's why they kept the classic pants

#26 Posted by 90mv (98 posts) - - Show Bio

@sunman: Funny thing is some artist's pretty much draw the outfit like that

#27 Posted by dmessmer (363 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't like the #600 look, but not because of the pants so much as because the jacket wasn't big enough to fit around her giant breasts (seriously, buttoning that thing was out of the question).

And as far as pants in general are concerned, I have no problem with her having or not having them - showing some skin is fine. What I do get annoyed with is guys who insist that she absolutely shouldn't have them - that she has to show skin. Why not wear pants from time to time? It's possible to incorporate pants and still stay true to her overall look, and if that happens then so be it. I'd rather see that than see some of the 90s versions where she's basically wearing a thong.

#28 Edited by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (721 posts) - - Show Bio

The 600 costume goes to show people will complain she's too sexy no matter what she's wearing. It had pants and a jacket, and I still remember someone commenting, "I wouldn't have asked for pants if I knew her glossy butt would always be in my face". Some folks just want her in a burka, and it's really unfortunate that they're so uncomfortable with sexuality.