#1 Posted by Rankorr25 (49 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, we all know she was created from sand by her "mother", and it kinda makes me wonder if she is just some magical intelligent beeing, created by the gods to simulate life, or does she have a soul? I'm sorry if this has been done before but I kept wondering about this ever since I find out how she came to be, anyway, I think she's just a really REALLY advanced magical construct programed/created by the gods and not a living, actual person, since I can't imagine Zeus or any other Olympian god to actually create a soul, beacause that would mean they are equal to The Presence in power, so unless The Presence wanted her to be a person and gave her a soul, which there is no hint or indication whatsoever about this until now, she is just a soulless construct!

#2 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio

@rankorr25: Actually the New52 Legend/WW origin has been changed. She wasnt made from clay, that was a lie to keep her safe. She was really born from Hippolyta and Zeus. So yes, she has a soul.

Moderator
#3 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

Even without the changed origin, it's been shown that "created" characters in DC are still granted souls. Superboy for example was explicitly shown to have a soul despite being a clone, which granted is a little different from "made from clay" but you catch my meaning.

#4 Edited by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio

@_caesar_ said:

@rankorr25: Actually the New52 Legend/WW origin has been changed. She wasnt made from clay, that was a lie to keep her safe. She was really born from Hippolyta and Zeus. So yes, she has a soul.

What? This is about Pre-New 52 Wonder Woman clearly. Not the new one. Don´t want to start a flame war hear, but seriously.

In answer to the original question, I think its always been that Hippolyta dropped blood on her the clay statue. So its always kind of been like she is Hippolyta´s blood. So yes she defo had a soul. I also don´t think the clay bit of that story is whats important. I think she really is Hippolyta´s daughter. In fact I think the only reason it wasn´t put in in the 40s is because birth and how it really happerns may have been considered to adult a theme for the time. Whats important is she is the daughter of the Goddess who grants her life and Hippolyta. Even if you look at the Perrez one, when Diana is being given life, you see Hippolyta sweating, writhing, almost like she is giving birth herself.

Good question.

#5 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio

@jphulk26 said:

@_caesar_ said:

@rankorr25: Actually the New52 Legend/WW origin has been changed. She wasnt made from clay, that was a lie to keep her safe. She was really born from Hippolyta and Zeus. So yes, she has a soul.

What? This is about Pre-New 52 Wonder Woman clearly. Not the new one. Don´t want to start a flame war hear, but seriously.

Oh my bad. It wasnt framed in the "past tense" though. In fact the question reads as if he's talking about current Wonder Woman as she stands today. And if we really wanna get technical Pre-New 52 Wonder Woman was crated with the Souls of murdered Amazons. No need for speculation on that front.

Moderator
#6 Edited by jphulk26 (1332 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Edited by dshipp17 (1017 posts) - - Show Bio

@rankorr25 said:

Well, we all know she was created from sand by her "mother", and it kinda makes me wonder if she is just some magical intelligent beeing, created by the gods to simulate life, or does she have a soul? I'm sorry if this has been done before but I kept wondering about this ever since I find out how she came to be, anyway, I think she's just a really REALLY advanced magical construct programed/created by the gods and not a living, actual person, since I can't imagine Zeus or any other Olympian god to actually create a soul, beacause that would mean they are equal to The Presence in power, so unless The Presence wanted her to be a person and gave her a soul, which there is no hint or indication whatsoever about this until now, she is just a soulless construct!

In the current incarnation, she's the daughter of Zeus and Hippolyta. Although Hippolyta is an amazon, I think she can be considered human. Thus, it's likely that Wonder Woman can have a soul. If I were to redefine the Wonder Woman origin yet again, I'd make it so that even the belief that Zeus is her father was another fake origin. In this iteration, her father would be a guy in Man's World that Hippolyta had abandoned to raise Wonder Woman among the amazons; this was the origin I proposed several weeks before Zeus was written as her father. You have a really good point in the instance she were made from clay. The Olympians cannot be equal to the Presence. In the DCU, I believe the Presence is a representation of God. I have a question though: is the Source an aspect of the Presence or is the Presence something completely different in the DCU? I believe that I read somewhere that the Source is an aspect of God, so, if the Presence is supposed to be higher level, well, we have a problem here. It's already hard to bare how the New Gods were supposedly created by a revolt against God which resulted in the Source and the creation of the New Gods.