#1 Edited by FutureScreenwriter (14 posts) - - Show Bio

If you were to write a Wonder Woman film, and make her more grounded, darker-ish, and realistic? How would you do it? What would you do? How would you make it possible for Wonder Woman's world to exist in ours?

#2 Edited by kapitein_zeppos (341 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not really interested in seeing another Man of Steel type muddle. The formula may have worked for Batman, but it certainly did very little for Superman. Man of Steel was a very heavy-handed attempt at being different from the Marvel films. They were not interested in making a good Superman film, they were far too busy applying a marketing formula using the "gout du jour" stylistic conventions, worrying far too much about pandering to the peanut gallery idiots who keep on harping that Superman is "stupid".

Far too many people these days think that grounded, dark and realistic are the final word in movie making sophistication, a pinnacle that surpasses all other forms, the final refinement that will never be topped.

We'll probably see some violent, feral Wonder Woman in muted colours who solves all her problems in a very "guy who happens to have sexy boobs" way, just like kids in movies do not resemble real children, but are wiscracking midgets in children suits ... She will be the exact opposite of what Marston had in mind when he created Wonder Woman. His character was a creation endowed with empathy, love, restraint and "feminine attributes" these simply don't mesh with, dark, gritty and realistic, so the essence of the character will have to go. Ditto for the whole magical background with Gods and all that, again it's not dark and gritty enough so they will probably bowdlerize it into being some weird alien tech or genetic manipulation ...

If Man of the Steel is the template, I have zero interest in seeing the rest of the DC film universe from here on. Marvel has its fair share of flaws, but at least they know how to make an entertaining Superhero film rather than just a pretentious flick that is just an appeasement to the loudmouth critics who think superheroes are stupid.

#3 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32918 posts) - - Show Bio

Less gaudy Wrath of the Titans fantasy and more darker Azzarelo/Gaiman fantasy

#4 Edited by lilben42 (2498 posts) - - Show Bio

Here is what you do, make the citizens reaction to the amazons realistic. Make the atmosphere of the movie serious. Lastly make the audience think that the amazons could exist by making them more realistic.

#5 Posted by dcdyno (130 posts) - - Show Bio

give her bright colors. make her loving yet powerful. don't let her fly. give her a villain like cheetah maybe change wwii to modern war. basically golden age yet modern.

#6 Posted by Pokeysteve (8119 posts) - - Show Bio

@dcdyno said:

give her bright colors. make her loving yet powerful. don't let her fly. give her a villain like cheetah maybe change wwii to modern war. basically golden age yet modern.

Why nerf her powers though? Flying was one of her favorite things when she was a child growing up on the island.

#7 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2213 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not really interested in seeing another Man of Steel type muddle. The formula may have worked for Batman, but it certainly did very little for Superman. Man of Steel was a very heavy-handed attempt at being different from the Marvel films. They were not interested in making a good Superman film, they were far too busy applying a marketing formula using the "gout du jour" stylistic conventions, worrying far too much about pandering to the peanut gallery idiots who keep on harping that Superman is "stupid".

Far too many people these days think that grounded, dark and realistic are the final word in movie making sophistication, a pinnacle that surpasses all other forms, the final refinement that will never be topped.

We'll probably see some violent, feral Wonder Woman in muted colours who solves all her problems in a very "guy who happens to have sexy boobs" way, just like kids in movies do not resemble real children, but are wiscracking midgets in children suits ... She will be the exact opposite of what Marston had in mind when he created Wonder Woman. His character was a creation endowed with empathy, love, restraint and "feminine attributes" these simply don't mesh with, dark, gritty and realistic, so the essence of the character will have to go. Ditto for the whole magical background with Gods and all that, again it's not dark and gritty enough so they will probably bowdlerize it into being some weird alien tech or genetic manipulation ...

If Man of the Steel is the template, I have zero interest in seeing the rest of the DC film universe from here on. Marvel has its fair share of flaws, but at least they know how to make an entertaining Superhero film rather than just a pretentious flick that is just an appeasement to the loudmouth critics who think superheroes are stupid.

I think by realistic they mean realistic consequences.

Wonder Woman could use a mix of fantasy and realism to achieve success. Because the problem is how does the Greek mythos fit into the larger DCCU?

#8 Edited by kapitein_zeppos (341 posts) - - Show Bio

@kapitein_zeppos said:

I think by realistic they mean realistic consequences.

Wonder Woman could use a mix of fantasy and realism to achieve success. Because the problem is how does the Greek mythos fit into the larger DCCU?

I'm afraid that what some people mistake for "realism" is the stuff that will completely kill the character for me.

They will focus on her ability (and eagerness) to lop off heads and kick ass without even looking at silly non-dark and gritty, totally unhip stuff like empathy, compassion, restraint, love. All of which requires discerning characterisation, which is boring and difficult to write and not as easy as just making a list of stock drama and tragedy and pass them off as her defining character traits.

As for the Greek Mythos, just make them all irrelevant, redundant and evil in our modern world. "It's not like a highly complex and sopomphisticated society like ours could ever hope to learn something from an older and therefore far stupider society ..."

#9 Posted by The_Red_Viper (4167 posts) - - Show Bio

Let's start with Mila Jovovich as WW. Then it's gotta be good.

#10 Posted by lilben42 (2498 posts) - - Show Bio

Make magic some inside source and natural.

#11 Posted by Justthatkid (3081 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by BigCimmerian (7863 posts) - - Show Bio

Megan Fox as Wonder Woman :D

#13 Posted by GWHH (563 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd make her NOT have any super powers when in Diana Prince mode. Like in the current cannon of the comics.

#14 Posted by dmessmer (363 posts) - - Show Bio

The thing that I find weird is that "grounded/realistic" and "dark" have become so synonymous. It would be nice if they could use Wonder Woman as a kind of contrast to Batman and Superman and show that superheros are capable of defeating their enemies by bringing out the best in people. In my mind that's always kind of been central to who she is, and I don't see why it wouldn't be possible to do that and still keep things grounded.

#15 Edited by Gabranth (323 posts) - - Show Bio

You have to at least start with the new 52 Origin as a foundation to build on

-Olympians could be super power beings that visited earth long ago. They were worshiped by Earthlings back then.

-The origin of the Olympian Gods could be in the same parallel universe/dimension as the other aliens/beings know as the New Gods. (This ties in Darkseid and Apokalips for a Justice League movie)

-These Olympians could travel back and forth to earth using a technology similar to the Boom Tube or/and the Phantom drive from Man of Steel

-Plug in that Atlantis was an advance civilization who refused the gods religion. (They might had came in contact with the technology from the Kryptonian scout ship)

-Make Poseidon sink Atlantis

-Make paradise island somehow being sucked in the boom tube/phantom zone/dimension

-Make Wonder Woman Half human and Half Godess, dauther of Zeus

-Then carry on with what's in Wonder Woman's new 52 comics. Hera turning all the amazon to stone upon learning that Zeus had an affair. This would be Diana's motivation to fight the Gods.

-Make it like "The Gods are back somehow on Earth and she has the power to stop them since she somehow got to earth to"

-Put some pants but when she remove her bracelets and get in god mode, then a somewhat more classical armor without pants could fly

-No invisible jet

#16 Posted by aquahawk (69 posts) - - Show Bio
@gabranth said:

You have to at least start with the new 52 Origin as a foundation to build on

-Olympians could be super power beings that visited earth long ago. They were worshiped by Earthlings back then.

-The origin of the Olympian Gods could be in the same parallel universe/dimension as the other aliens/beings know as the New Gods. (This ties in Darkseid and Apokalips for a Justice League movie)

-These Olympians could travel back and forth to earth using a technology similar to the Boom Tube or/and the Phantom drive from Man of Steel

-Plug in that Atlantis was an advance civilization who refused the gods religion. (They might had came in contact with the technology from the Kryptonian scout ship)

-Make Poseidon sink Atlantis

-Make paradise island somehow being sucked in the boom tube/phantom zone/dimension

-Make Wonder Woman Half human and Half Godess, dauther of Zeus

-Then carry on with what's in Wonder Woman's new 52 comics. Hera turning all the amazon to stone upon learning that Zeus had an affair. This would be Diana's motivation to fight the Gods.

-Make it like "The Gods are back somehow on Earth and she has the power to stop them since she somehow got to earth to"

-Put some pants but when she remove her bracelets and get in god mode, then a somewhat more classical armor without pants could fly

-No invisible jet

All of this.

#17 Edited by Ostyo (6797 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Posted by WDW (1514 posts) - - Show Bio

At this point, my only requirement, since I don't think they will EVER make a wonder woman movie, is that at least passes the Bechdel test

#19 Posted by darkman61288 (722 posts) - - Show Bio

spy thriller

#20 Edited by Bezza (3418 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_red_viper said:

Let's start with Mila Jovovich as WW. Then it's gotta be good.

You are kidding me! The woman may be stunning but she has no bust. WW is a busty lady!

back on topic...make it a bit like Lara Croft. She can be pretty, but not dolled up like some hooker. Let her have some proper scraps, able to fly, use her sword, basically the female Thor and someone equivalent to the lady Asgardian fighter (cant remember her name) from the Thor movie.

#21 Posted by KouNurasaka (28 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly don't think you need to ground her per se. Consider "Wrath of the Titans" and that it didn't need much grounding to be fun and engaging. Movie goers are very familiar with Greek myths and they don't need any introduction to much of WW's supporting cast. I am not that familiar with her origin story, and wouldn't consider myself a WW fan, but I would dig a movie with a powerful super heroine like WW.

The only way I would ground the movie would be to revamp her costume, and make her less.... revealing.

See, pants are a good thing for taking someone seriously.