How would the fans have reacted if in the New-52 instead of Scott being gay it was Wonder Woman?

• 66 results
_HYDRA_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By _HYDRA_

Poll How would the fans have reacted if in the New-52 instead of Scott being gay it was Wonder Woman? (62 votes)

Huge reaction 69%
Mild reactiom 13%
Light reaction 18%

How would you have reacted to such an iconic character revealing to be gay?

I think it would be interesting TBH.

• 
PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Making characters who are established as straight and turning them gay is ridiculous. It pisses off fans and I know a lot of gay people who find that stuff offensive. If companies want more gay characters they should create new ones.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Making characters who are established as straight and turning them gay is ridiculous. It pisses off fans and I know a lot of gay people who find that stuff offensive. If companies want more gay characters they should create new ones.

I´ve always thought wonder woman was bisexual and that should be explored.

Bogey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would get a huge reaction and become the greatest selling comic of all time.

dmessmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26 said:

@peppeyhare said:

I´ve always thought wonder woman was bisexual and that should be explored.

That's interesting. There have been implications (by Perez, for instance) that some of the Amazons were lesbians. I think having Wonder Woman be a lesbian or bisexual could be really interesting as long as the "coming out" was handled effectively and there was sufficient explanation for why she didn't come out sooner. I'd certainly read that story.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I think it would have had a much bigger reaction considering she's a higher profile character. I don't know if it would be more positive or negative though. It sometimes seems like gay women are more accepted than gay men, so it may have had more positive reactions.

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I am betting on a massive negative reaction had they turned Wonder Woman into a lesbian, i for one dislike the whole idea.

Look i have got nothing against gay or lesbain people, if they wanna introduce a new character , make him/ awesome as well as homosexual i am all for it. I love the Wiccan / Hulking's gay romance in Young Avengers, and think its awesome, but changing something so fundamental of a character, whom we have been reading for ages and begin to love and respect seems more like a gimmick then anything else.

I am all for changing a character for story purpose, they change Spiderman into Doc Ock, but didnt do that for shock value or anything, but because they wanted to explore a different route with story, i am all for that. But i can think of 1 good reason, on why turning WW (or Alan Scott.) into homosexual was for story purpose rather than shock value.

whygamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I reject the idea of twisting WW's origin/personality. On the other hand I'd be glad to see new gay characters being created.

But just saying, If she's gay, who would be her love interest?

darkman61288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By darkman61288
jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am betting on a massive negative reaction had they turned Wonder Woman into a lesbian, i for one dislike the whole idea.

Look i have got nothing against gay or lesbain people, if they wanna introduce a new character , make him/ awesome as well as homosexual i am all for it. I love the Wiccan / Hulking's gay romance in Young Avengers, and think its awesome, but changing something so fundamental of a character, whom we have been reading for ages and begin to love and respect seems more like a gimmick then anything else.

I am all for changing a character for story purpose, they change Spiderman into Doc Ock, but didnt do that for shock value or anything, but because they wanted to explore a different route with story, i am all for that. But i can think of 1 good reason, on why turning WW (or Alan Scott.) into homosexual was for story purpose rather than shock value.

I´m sorry with what azz has done with ww character recently, turning her gay would be the least of her problems. Clearly you don´t know much about ww as a character because it could easily make sense if she was bisexual, given that she came from an all-female society, not knowing men for thousands of years. Its not just not shocking, it actually makes sense to her mythology that she would be bisexual. Turning Supes or Batman would be shocking. I can understand peoples misgivings, but WW deserves first of all more a sexuality in the first place. But second it would be more interesting than what they are doing with her an superman. I actually hope this happens. It was clear she was bisexual in jimminez´s run, as well as in Ruckas. No more asexual ww. Bring back Steve as her love interest and yes she should have interest in women. Maybe her and Batwoman could work.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#10  Edited By BumpyBoo  Moderator

Yes please! :D

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26 said:

I´m sorry with what azz has done with ww character recently, turning her gay would be the least of her problems. Clearly you don´t know much about ww as a character because it could easily make sense if she was bisexual, given that she came from an all-female society, not knowing men for thousands of years. Its not just not shocking, it actually makes sense to her mythology that she would be bisexual. Turning Supes or Batman would be shocking. I can understand peoples misgivings, but WW deserves first of all more a sexuality in the first place. But second it would be more interesting than what they are doing with her an superman. I actually hope this happens. It was clear she was bisexual in jimminez´s run, as well as in Ruckas. No more asexual ww. Bring back Steve as her love interest and yes she should have interest in women. Maybe her and Batwoman could work.

Not sure if i should reply to the underlined part, seems a little rude there, lets let that slide.

Wonder Woman seems fine to be in New 52 really, at least on her solo title her mythological side is being explored, her connection with Olympions god and her conflict with what has always been her most powerful recurring villain, Ares. Seems perfect to me, i honestly actually enjoy this potrayal of Wonder Woman one reason why i have been following her. Wonder Woman and Green Lantern is perhaps the only 2 series i follow.

I know about her past, that doesnt make her bi. In fact none of her sister in the older chronology where shown to be bi. They hate men for what Heracles did, but thats about it.

I am not entire sure about Jimminez and Ruckas run, because i am more of a person who buys trades for DC comics and rarely looks at the name of the writer but i dont recall her ever being bi.

I dislike the idea of outright changing a sexuality of an already established character, thats just my take.

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo said:

Go away.. you guys dont get to take such a hottie away from us :p you already have Batwoman ...

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funny how people would seem to be perfectly fine about WW becoming a lesbian but riots would start if a character like Hal Jordan or Barry Allen was turned gay. Just seems odd

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BumpyBoo  Moderator

@bumpyboo said:

Go away.. you guys dont get to take such a hottie away from us :p you already have Batwoman ...

Hehe no! i am here on behalf of the lesbians to STEAL HER!! Mwahahaha >:)

In all seriousness, i think it would be pretty dumb to just make her gay for the sake of it.

All superficial WW longings aside, of course ;)

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Killemall
@bumpyboo said:

Hehe no! i am here on behalf of the lesbians to STEAL HER!! Mwahahaha >:)

Hehe

No Caption Provided

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BumpyBoo  Moderator
jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By jphulk26

@killemall said:

@jphulk26 said:

Not sure if i should reply to the underlined part, seems a little rude there, lets let that slide.

Wonder Woman seems fine to be in New 52 really, at least on her solo title her mythological side is being explored, her connection with Olympions god and her conflict with what has always been her most powerful recurring villain, Ares. Seems perfect to me, i honestly actually enjoy this potrayal of Wonder Woman one reason why i have been following her. Wonder Woman and Green Lantern is perhaps the only 2 series i follow.

I know about her past, that doesnt make her bi. In fact none of her sister in the older chronology where shown to be bi. They hate men for what Heracles did, but thats about it.

I am not entire sure about Jimminez and Ruckas run, because i am more of a person who buys trades for DC comics and rarely looks at the name of the writer but i dont recall her ever being bi.

I dislike the idea of outright changing a sexuality of an already established character, thats just my take.

My point to you is this, you don´t Azz changing everything about her, but you mind them "changing" her gay. Azz has not explored anything about ww, because the character in his book is not ww. thats the point I was making. As for the inverted commers, it is easy to see why WW who is obviously bi, was not treated as such before. The simple reason is when she was created, no characters could be gay or bisexual, but even the creators of WW were bisexual, Marston, his wife and his lover created the character together and all the games that were played between the amazons in earlier comics were clearly to suggest that there was a sexuality between the amazons. They had no men around, so they obviously they were into eachother. Also, Amazon did not in the beginning nor have they ever hated men, until geoff johns and Azz got their grubby little hands on them. they feared the world of man, they did not hate them. This was an impossibility in Marston and Perrez´s version as they were children of Aphrodite whose hearts were blessed with love. As for your suggestion it has never been mentioned in wonder woman comics, wonder woman mentioned in Ruckas run, that she could possibly have a girlfriend. In Simones run it was clearly stated that many Amazons had relations with eachother including the circle. The fact is ww and the amazons sexuality has been neutered by alot of writers, just cause they don´t want to go there. Even Steve Trevor has got the boot. One because they can´t accept her being in a relationship with man, who is clearly less powerful than her. Hence this ridiculous pairing with superman. two, as I said Marston obviously suggested the amazons were prone to sexual games with one another, so once again I would see it as a change if they made ww straightup lesbian, but if she was bisexual, it would actually honor the vision of the creator and the best runs on ww. if you are saying keep ww the same sexuality as for the majority of her existence, then the truth is ww is asexual. that to me is not a good, authentic or healthy portrayal of a female hero. the boys have multiple relationships, why should wonder woman be in any different.

supes - lana and lois

batman - catwoman, talia, chase maridian and more.

flash - iris murdoch

spider-man - mary jane gwen stacy

wonder woman - steve trevor kind of, trevor barnes kind of, the less said about nemisis the better.

anyway i´m not trying to be insulting, i´m saying read her comics, and you´ll see the idea of her being bi, is not new at all.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26: What makes you say her and Batwoman could work?

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By jphulk26

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

@jphulk26: What makes you say her and Batwoman could work?

I love Batwoman as a character, I really think she needs more exposure, as she is the best female character, in the DC universe outside Catwoman and Wonder Woman.

I think pre-new 52 ww and her could really have worked as a couple for a while. Just exploring the fact that ww was not ok with letting the world know that before she left paradise island she was ofcourse with women. not to say she didn´t want to come out of the closet, just that she didn´t want her sexuality to encroach upon her mission. in this way it could be explored ww seeming asexuality throughout her time in mans world in conversations with batwoman, who tries to convince Di to reveal her sexuality to the world. it would be good to have that addressed.

Also as I said Batwoman is a really fierce and great character, in some ways I understand her being called batwoman, in that if she wasn´t part of the bat family she would never have sold as well. but to a degree I really wish she had have just been her own character, her own city etc. I also think she has enough of a following now that they could try and change her name and do that for her. both ww and her fight mostly mystical forces so again there is a connection. but back to what i was saying i think she has a strong enough origin that she could take on her own identity and not be part of the batfamily. and so as to really establish her, get her to join the justice league on the side. she´s a real badass as i said and want her to get more exposure badly.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

How come their sexuality are such a big deal?

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@jphulk26: The problem I have though is that with Wonder Woman being a much bigger name, and better known character, I would worry that Batwoman would end up being thought of as just "Wonder Womans' Girlfriend". It seems possible that they could be a decent couple, but I'm not sure if they should be.

She's not actually one of the Bat-Family, but I know what you mean about the name. I'd definitely still read her comics if she had a name change and moved out of Gotham, and I imagine most of her fans would too, but with the Bat-name gone, future readers may overlook her. It would be cool to have less association with Batman, but she may struggle to keep a series in print. Maybe in a few years a name change could work though.

Her exposure is a tricky subject I think. It would be great for her to pick up more of a following, but I wouldn't want her independence to be at risk because of it. Like if she was involved in the Batman crossovers, she probably would have had more of an audience, but that would have tied her too closely to Batman.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By jphulk26

@v_scarlotte_rose said:

@jphulk26:

The problem I have though is that with Wonder Woman being a much bigger name, and better known character, I would worry that Batwoman would end up being thought of as just "Wonder Womans' Girlfriend". It seems possible that they could be a decent couple, but I'm not sure if they should be.

She's not actually one of the Bat-Family, but I know what you mean about the name. I'd definitely still read her comics if she had a name change and moved out of Gotham, and I imagine most of her fans would too, but with the Bat-name gone, future readers may overlook her. It would be cool to have less association with Batman, but she may struggle to keep a series in print. Maybe in a few years a name change could work though.

Her exposure is a tricky subject I think. It would be great for her to pick up more of a following, but I wouldn't want her independence to be at risk because of it. Like if she was involved in the Batman crossovers, she probably would have had more of an audience, but that would have tied her too closely to Batman.

With me, I´m a straight male, I have no overbearing interest in politics or social justice causes. Obviously, I would throw my hat in to say when something is wrong but I´m not a crusader as such (something I´m not so proud of) But I am a writer, who loves comics and more than anything I like a good character whether gay, female, ethnic or not. I also love when an established character is given more dimension as long as it makes sense to their mythology. For me all great wonder woman writers have accepted the elephant in the room and commented on it, including Marston, the originator or WW. It is so clear that The Amazons are a passionate and loving culture, why has sexuality just been utterly excluded from there story, when clearly it would make more sense and so much could be explored if it was introduced. So that´s my piece on WW.

As for Batwoman, again, she is a good character plain and simple and I also think a great role model for women and young lesbian women as well. She´s not perfect, there is tragedy to her story and I believe many people not just women and gay people would relate to her character and story. She´s total counter-culture, antiestablishment and badass. In this sense I think she needs exposure outside her title, especially in the big 3. Obviously we don´t want her coupling with Batman as she would really be in his shadow, however she clearly has chemistry with WW, as seen in the comic they starred in together, thats why I think a crossover elseworld story with her and wonder woman as lovers, using their relationship to explore the Amazons history and the current attitude toward gay superheroes, would defo sell amongst the growing gay community of comic readers and would do neither harm for getting more exposure. I personally think as long as Batwoman, gets equal if not a bit more time in the comic to be explored it could really work out for both characters and deepen WW´s character alot.

But DC aren´t doing great comics like this anymore, they´ve shelfed their elseworlds and to be honest have become quite juvenille in the stories they tell these days. Gone are the days where DC´s heroes really interacted with the real world and had something interesting to say about it. so I doubt it will ever happen anyway.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By V_Scarlotte_Rose

@jphulk26: Elseworlds does seem like it could be a good place to explore such a thing. There was a Batman and Hourman fighting Nazis story(I think) recently that I believe was a sequel to an old Elseworlds story. Maybe they'll bring back the idea of doing things like that sometime.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26: Elseworlds does seem like it could be a good place to explore such a thing. There was a Batman and Hourman fighting Nazis story(I think) recently that I believe was a sequel to an old Elseworlds story. Maybe they'll bring back the idea of doing things like that sometime.

I think Batwoman should be repackaged as something-woman, not sure what, but with Ghost Girl as a sidekick, a girl medium who has an assortment of powers related to being otherworldly. Batwoman, will strictly take on these threats and create weapons for that purpose alone. And she should move to Spectre City a spooky town, where the criminal underworld is headed by various sinister characters, who have links or are otherworldly creatures. Something to that extent. I then think she should be put in the Justice League, as one of the core members. They need a gay core member and that would give her the exposure she needs to be able to actually change her name to something more fitting, I think. The 0 issue in New 52 was an awesome origin story, if they can tweak it, so Batman doesn´t inspire her to be a hero, something else does, I think we could have a true gay icon of a superhero in some years. Added to that, getting her a movie would be nowhere near as hard as WW, because, unlike action movies, women are expected to be the stars of horror films. Most successful horror films always have a female lead. So it could kind of be seen as superhero meets horror genre.

_HYDRA_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think WW needs to reveal her soft side more often heck she acts manlier than Bruce sometimes xD

whygamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_hydra_: WW is a very gentle lady, dude! She is just strong in the same time.

DEGRAAF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think people would have been ok with it. It makes more sense. She is from an island of women that dislike men. Kind of makes sense to have a thing for other women. Also since they are based off of ancient Greece and Roman times and it was not uncommon for people to swing both ways back then i could see her doing it as well

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jphulk26

@degraaf said:

I think people would have been ok with it. It makes more sense. She is from an island of women that dislike men. Kind of makes sense to have a thing for other women. Also since they are based off of ancient Greece and Roman times and it was not uncommon for people to swing both ways back then i could see her doing it as well

Agree with everything you said, but I wouldn´t say they just dislike men, but legitimately are threatened by the outside world ruled by men. Considering The Amazons history, I think that is fair position, but fear of it is more prevalent than dislike or hatred.

By the way WW is already a massive gay icon, I think writers embracing gay themes in her mythology would do wonders in publicity for the character, especially amongst her gay fans.

whygamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GWHH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By GWHH

In ancient Greece women were encouraged to have sexual relation with other women. So as not to cheat on there husband with other men. Also women and men was segregated from men majority of there day and they only had each other for company. Plus it was thought that women having sex with other women would make them better lovers in bed for the men. And homosexual among men was NOT ok as an adult. As so often stated in various places.

No Caption Provided

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By jphulk26

@gwhh said:

In ancient Greece women were encouraged to have sexual relation with other women. So as not to cheat on there husband with other men. Also women and men was segregated from men majority of there day and they only had each other for company. Plus it was thought that women having sex with other women would make them better lovers in bed for the men. And homosexual among men was NOT ok as an adult. As so often stated in various places.

I while back. I saw a part of comic page. I saved it but my PC crashed and I lost a lot of info on before It could be backed up. Where all the women heroes was siting around drinking (looks like after a mission, and there were all still in uniform, and it MAY have been in a nightclub type location). And someone asked WW how do you get along without any men on your island to date and stuff. It was sort of sexual question by the nature and tone of the question. And Wonder woman said that why we call it paradise island. Other than WW black canary was in it. It looks to be from the 1970's or so.

lol, love that scene. must find it.

TekTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

_Cerberus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peppeyhare said:

They had no problem doing that with Allan Scott (even though he was originally straight) and I don't see anybody complaining in this thread about him being gay.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tektheninja said:

@peppeyhare said:

They had no problem doing that with Allan Scott (even though he was originally straight) and I don't see anybody complaining in this thread about him being gay.

Mostly because people don't care about Allan Scott

_Cerberus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_cerberus_ said:

@tektheninja said:

@peppeyhare said:

I could say the about WW but that would be false so that's not a valid excuse :/

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gwhh: were was this? I always wonderd if anybody brang up the fact that she was on an island were there are only women...and no men

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By PeppeyHare

@peppeyhare said:

@_cerberus_ said:

@tektheninja said:

@peppeyhare said:

I could say the about WW but that would be false so that's not a valid excuse :/

I don't really understand what you're trying to say. Alan Scott is a character most people don't know about. WW is part of DC'S trinity and is one of the most well known characters in the world. Huge difference

_Cerberus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_cerberus_ said:

@peppeyhare said:

@_cerberus_ said:

@tektheninja said:

@peppeyhare said:

I don't really understand what you're trying to say. Alan Scott is a character most people don't know about. WW is part of DC'S trinity and is one of the most well known characters in the world. Huge difference

Alan Scott is very well known in the GL series

unless your trying to tell me Wonder Woman is more famous than Hal Jordan.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By PeppeyHare

@_cerberus_: Alan Scott is well known among comic readers sure. The average person has no idea who he is. Also yes WW is more popular than Hal Jordan

_Cerberus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By _Cerberus_

@_cerberus_: Alan Scott is well known among comic readers sure. The average person has no idea who he is. Also yes WW is more popular than Hal Jordan

LOL NO SHE ISN'T

I have a girl "friend" who has never heard of WW hell I have 6+ friends who know Green Lantern but not WW.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By lifeofvibe

@_cerberus_: no proof at all

6 people doesn't equal the whole world so you are an idiot for thinking so

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@peppeyhare said:

LOL NO SHE ISN'T

I have a girl "friend" who has never heard of WW hell I have 6+ friends who know Green Lantern but not WW.

Good for you. That doesn't mean Hal Jordan is more popular

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TheFirstLantern

I think it would have had a much bigger reaction considering she's a higher profile character. I don't know if it would be more positive or negative though. It sometimes seems like gay women are more accepted than gay men, so it may have had more positive reactions.

This.

_Cerberus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@_cerberus_: no proof at all

6 people doesn't equal the whole world so you are an idiot for thinking so

you have no proof at all either so you're the idiot for calling me an idiot

@mitran said:

@_cerberus_ said:

@peppeyhare said:

LOL NO SHE ISN'T

He just had a movie. That helps a bit. Did they know him before that?

Yup.

_Cerberus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mitran: she's heard of Hal not John lol.

batpala

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was outright stated in a Perez Wonder Woman comic that some of the Amazons were LGBT

No Caption Provided

This was in V2 #38, by the way.

_Cerberus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By _Cerberus_

@batpala said:

It was outright stated in a Perez Wonder Woman comic that some of the Amazons were LGBT

No Caption Provided

This was in V2 #38, by the way.