"God of War" status in the DCCU?

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

The title says it all. Should it? Should Ares be introduced only for Diana to kill him and take his title? I feel it should. If they're going more or less for the New 52 route then it'd only make sense.

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

The title says it all. Should it? Should Ares be introduced only for Diana to kill him and take his title? I feel it should. If they're going more or less for the New 52 route then it'd only make sense.

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

no. diana should not be god of war in the dccu. it will be like making her a villain. Too confusing for the plot of a film. It would work in TV, but certainly not with in the confines of a film. way too convoluted.

Avatar image for deactivated-59dfd33ed3601
deactivated-59dfd33ed3601

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_sophie: Yeah, her solo movie should be based on Azzarello's run if they go the New 52 route.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

They are going the New 52 route in terms of origin, but do they really plan on turning her most iconic villain into an ally?

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By The_Kidd

Why do people think they are going the N52 route? Superman's orgin was something new, kind of a mixture of Earth 1and Pre52, Bats own was shipped entirely. Didn't Mclaren wanted to go a new direction when she was directing?

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cheetah as a main villain for her movie? Warner Bros is trying to make money here. I could see Cheetah being a side plot battle or minor character for Diana to face along the road, but a whole movie dedicated to her? Well..

They are going the New 52 route in terms of origin, but do they really plan on turning her most iconic villain into an ally?

Technically, it is Cheetah whose more well known than Ares. Albeit, Ares would most likely make more of an entertaining story.

@jphulk26 said:

no. diana should not be god of war in the dccu. it will be like making her a villain. Too confusing for the plot of a film. It would work in TV, but certainly not with in the confines of a film. way too convoluted.

@saint_sophie: Yeah, her solo movie should be based on Azzarello's run if they go the New 52 route.

In replies to JpHulk and Somaya, you guys do bring a good point. I can see the pros and cons of making Diana a goddess.

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jphulk26 said:
@saint_sophie said:

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

How would that be like making her a Villain?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

No she shouldn't be a god at all and if it was it shouldn't be the god of war.

sealife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't mind

TheBlondeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I was thinking that WB might make Ares her villain... which she will end up killing in the end and then earning the title God of War. They may follow the New 52 origin but the storyline will definitely change.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

She's a Demi-God now.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Saint_Sophie

@agent41 said:

@saint_sophie: Cheeah is a great villan when writen properly. Writing makes the character. She has the potential to carry a movie as a main villan.

Doubtful unless somehow a whole movie of being catty and talking about how you're gonna rip someone to shreds cause you hate them counts as being a great villain. It could work I guess if they make them play cat and mouse. With Cheetah commuting crimes or doing some grand scheme while tormenting Diana by reminding her that the reason why Minerva is like this is cause of her. I mean, currently, doesn't Diana feel guilty that Minerva is the way she is right now? Eh.

xoxo, -Saint Sophie

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was a stupid idea in the comics. Pretty much because Ares' aspects of war go completely against Diana's personality. Ares reflects all the terrible things about war: rage, greed, hatred, conquest, etc. And writers don't have any idea of what to do with it. They can't have her flying to the middle-east and reveling in the atrocities of ISIS. The best thing is to get rid of it as quickly as possible.

I don't think it could work in the movies because it would just confuse the hell out of the audience. Hell, even in the comics, they haven't explained what her duties as the Goddess of War entail. Just keep it simple and tell some good supehero stories.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip: Well that was the point of her becoming God of War. When we think of the God of War we think of rage, greed, hatred, conquest, etc. But does the God of War have to be that way or does it depends on the character of the person? That's one of the interesting questions brought up by that idea. Another one is what is war really? The problem with it though is that Azzarello was the only one that understood that so the other writers are completely ruining that idea. So unless the movie writers have a good grasp on that I wouldn't introduce it.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lilben42: Ares represents all the horrible aspects of war. Athena represents the positive aspects of war like glory and courage. If the writers really wanted to run with this idea, they should have brought Athena into the story somehow.

Yeah, thats the problem. Azzerello introduced this huge story point at the end of his run that no other writer would know what to do with. I'm not even sure he would have known what to do with it. And a novice like Merideth Finch sure as hell doesn't know what to do with a story problem as huge as this. Like I said before, if she is smart, she would jettison that story point as soon as possible.

Avatar image for deactivated-599b4bc7465db
deactivated-599b4bc7465db

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

either they should do ares or make it god heavy with some inspo from azzarello's run but deciding to not take some of the routes that he did

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think it would be a good idea for it to happen in her first film. After that film we have two Justice League movies were they wouldn't have time to explore the implication of it so it would end up just being a thing about her. Add on that they haven't even really explored it in the comics yet that's even more reason to hold it off. Personally I think it would be best to have her become God of War towards the beginning of her third movie then throw her into a "War of the Gods" type senario where she has to act as arbitrator.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip said:

@lilben42: Ares represents all the horrible aspects of war. Athena represents the positive aspects of war like glory and courage. If the writers really wanted to run with this idea, they should have brought Athena into the story somehow.

Yeah, thats the problem. Azzerello introduced this huge story point at the end of his run that no other writer would know what to do with. I'm not even sure he would have known what to do with it. And a novice like Merideth Finch sure as hell doesn't know what to do with a story problem as huge as this. Like I said before, if she is smart, she would jettison that story point as soon as possible.

I think Azzaerello did a pretty poor job of setting up what being the God of War would mean for Diana. He showed her uneasy about the idea of being an Olympian, but there was nothing showing the conflict that becoming the God of War would have had against her peaceful nature.

First thing he should have done is not make Ares her ally. It really served no purpose, and was counter intuitive to what the story needed. Holding contempt for the previous holder of the title would have set thing up better. Make him the one person in the world that she sees as irredeemably evil, but when this Firstborn threat rolls around they are forced into a temporary alliance. When he seemingly sacrifices himself to help them win it makes her question if she's been wrong about him all along, but later she finds out that making sure she became the next God of War was his ultimate victory over her.

That's the main thing that should have been done, but in addition to that I think he should have really streamlined his overly drawn out run, and basically has the whole story he told wrapped up after those first two years. So Zeke/Zeus takes the thrown at that point, and that causes New Genesis to declare war of Olympus. A war between two pantheon would really put Diana's new role to the test. Eventually she'd find that while Ares used the title to be a force for Chaos she could use it to be a force for order, and being the Arbitrator of War doesn't have to be all that different from being the Ambassador of Peace.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muffin_sangria: I just wish he had one more issue. Then we could get more closure from the story. I loved what he did with Ares because of how unexpected and enjoyable it was. I'd rather her be the God of War rather than the God of peace.

Muffin_Sangria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lilben42: He had all the time to create all the closer he wanted. It was his choice as a writer to draw things out unnecessarily then end with a bunch of loose threads. I like the God of War thing, but I just think it was set up very poorly. In theory it should be about taking Wonder Woman's long standing rivalry with the God of War, and reimagining it as an internal conflict, but nothing in Azzarello's run indicates that, and he left things open for future writers to just treat it as a badass title.

Like I said before I think he made some very bad decisions with Ares. I'm fine with him dying, but turning him into some good guy father figure served no point, and detracted from what he should have been trying to achieve with making Diana the new God of War. My only guess is that Azzarello didn't like Ares as a villain so he decided to write him off in a way where no future writers could ever use him. At least not in this continuity. To be fair Ares has come off a bit too two dimensional under a lot of writers, but Firstborn is more two dimensional then Ares ever was.

As for Diana getting a different title before which was actually the God of Truth that was under very different circumstances. In the post-ciris comics the gods were much more powerful, and when Diana ascended into being one she was no longer able to operate as a superhero. In the case of Diana retiring from being Wonder Woman something like Goddess of Truth works better, but from something where she's pulling double duty as god, and hero the God of War title works better.

CSG_CL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lilben42: He had all the time to create all the closer he wanted. It was his choice as a writer to draw things out unnecessarily then end with a bunch of loose threads. I like the God of War thing, but I just think it was set up very poorly. In theory it should be about taking Wonder Woman's long standing rivalry with the God of War, and reimagining it as an internal conflict, but nothing in Azzarello's run indicates that, and he left things open for future writers to just treat it as a badass title.

Like I said before I think he made some very bad decisions with Ares. I'm fine with him dying, but turning him into some good guy father figure served no point, and detracted from what he should have been trying to achieve with making Diana the new God of War. My only guess is that Azzarello didn't like Ares as a villain so he decided to write him off in a way where no future writers could ever use him. At least not in this continuity. To be fair Ares has come off a bit too two dimensional under a lot of writers, but Firstborn is more two dimensional then Ares ever was.

As for Diana getting a different title before which was actually the God of Truth that was under very different circumstances. In the post-ciris comics the gods were much more powerful, and when Diana ascended into being one she was no longer able to operate as a superhero. In the case of Diana retiring from being Wonder Woman something like Goddess of Truth works better, but from something where she's pulling double duty as god, and hero the God of War title works better.

I never saw him as a "good guy" or a father figure in Azzarello's run. More of an abusive mentor who is broken when he realized Diana's spirit was stronger than his.

Madflavor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You know, call me crazy, but I hate the idea of Wonder Woman being the God of War. It'd be interesting for a short run sure, but not status quo. I don't even think she should be a god at all, I always saw her as a Champion of the Gods sort, but if ever she were one, she should be the Goddess of Truth. But War? It just feels wrong. I swear to god Wonder Woman has become DC's answer to Thor, which is ironic considering Thor is now a chick.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rdclip said:

It was a stupid idea in the comics. Pretty much because Ares' aspects of war go completely against Diana's personality. Ares reflects all the terrible things about war: rage, greed, hatred, conquest, etc. And writers don't have any idea of what to do with it. They can't have her flying to the middle-east and reveling in the atrocities of ISIS. The best thing is to get rid of it as quickly as possible.

I don't think it could work in the movies because it would just confuse the hell out of the audience. Hell, even in the comics, they haven't explained what her duties as the Goddess of War entail. Just keep it simple and tell some good supehero stories.

Abos - fricking - lutely. It´s got to be one of the dumbest things ever turning ww into god of war. i´m pretty sure it was done to troll the fans as well. I might be wrong, but to me it just doesn´t make any sense apart from to troll ww fans.

alsummers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought I read a short synopsis that Wonder Woman's alias (Diana Prince) in the BvS film is supposed to be a well known humanitarian and philanthropist. If that is the case (which I will have to find the source on to be certain) making her the God of War would be absolutely contradictory and have the already salty critics of the DCCU pouncing on that.

I_Rock_Fiction

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_sophie: well if she did become the god of war she could solve that lingering romance issue by just locking up steve trevor in olympus so she can keep him safe and immortal.