Posted by lilben42 (2544 posts) 1 year, 2 months ago

Poll: Azzerello? Leave or Stay (172 votes)

Stay 65%
Leave 15%
I don't care 20%

I personally think his book is amazing, and can't wait to see where he takes us. At the beginning I had some complaints but I easily got over it by the 11th issue.

#551 Edited by CrimsonAlchemist (410 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior: I guess your forgetting the poll where people voted but with your way of thinking it don't matter a thing does it?

#552 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior: I guess your forgetting the poll where people voted but with your way of thinking it don't matter a thing does it?

ydo ou think comic vine is the only site on the internet?,do you think that here are the oppinion of every wonder woma fan in the world?,no,but i have been in other forums and i know many people,i know that most of wonder woman long term fans hate azzarello's run.

#553 Edited by el_contrarian (32 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he should leave.

This run has had its ups and downs. I didn't like much of the middle, but the beginning and ending volumes were good. I really liked what Azzarello did with the different gods. Generally I like Wonder Woman runs grounded in the mythology (hence my love for Perez's run) and while I didn't love every thing about Wondie's characterization, he got her right in broad strokes. All in all it was a good read...

...Nevertheless, I think he should go for a couple of reasons.

1. The origin. I hate it. It's generic. Zeus has a bunch of kids. Why go with something cliche when her silver age origin was so much more interesting?

2. The ending. I won't spoil it for people who haven't read it but basically I don't want to build off of what becomes of Wonder Woman and the Amazons. It's a nice ending for an Elseworld story - very poetic and fitting. However it forces a continuation of the problem in point three...

3. The setting. Wonder Woman is a superhero. On Earth. Azzarello's Wonder Woman has almost zero interaction with the normal human world. There is no sense of her place in society, her relationship with other heroes, or her ambitions. It didn't bother me that we didn't see Veronica Cale or any of the non-mythological villains. However the way this run ended, it seems likely that the story would be stuck on this "Bickering Gods" train with no way of getting off.

While I like the mythology, it can be overdone. One problem I had with the middle issues was that Wonder Woman frequently felt like a secondary character in her own comic. There was so much back and forth between conniving deities that she spent the entire run reacting to things and putting out fires, never really getting the chance set her own agenda.

Overall I'd give Azzarello's run a B-. It's solid, better than a lot of pre-New 52 Wonder Woman. Still, I don't think it deserves to serve as the foundation for her story for the long term.

#554 Posted by Outside_85 (9054 posts) - - Show Bio

@el_contrarian: You do realize he has an entire year to go? Issue 23 was the end of the Two Towers, now we get Return of the King.

#555 Edited by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@el_contrarian: You do realize he has an entire year to go? Issue 23 was the end of the Two Towers, now we get Return of the King.

we'll see how much more he can mess with her,he will stay until the end of 2014?,well i think i can survive one more year of his pathetic work,i agree with everything el_contrarian said,good as an else world story but not good enough to serve as the foundation for her story for the long term.

#556 Edited by Outside_85 (9054 posts) - - Show Bio

we'll see how much more he can mess with her,he will stay until the end of 2014?,well i think i can survive one more year of his pathetic work,i agree with everything el_contrarian said,good as an else world story but not good enough to serve as the foundation for her story for the long term.

You are going to have to wait till September, maybe November, 2014 to find out, since that's when he has thought as his end.

That said, it doesn't matter if you think it's crap or not, Azzarello's WW will stand as the foundation of the franchise till the next DC reboot.

#557 Posted by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@gokuwarrior said:

You are going to have to wait till September, maybe November, 2014 to find out, since that's when he has thought as his end.

That said, it doesn't matter if you think it's crap or not, Azzarello's WW will stand as the foundation of the franchise till the next DC reboot.

i think iot's a decent run,but it doesn't desere to be the foundation for her story for the long term,and it has too many holes in it.