• 80 results
Edited 1 year, 2 months ago

Poll: A Street level Wonder Woman? (50 votes)

Yes I would 18%
Only as a elseworld or in a movie or other media 26%
No way 54%

Would you read or enjoy a low-superhuman or street level Wonder Woman as the main universe one? Low level like Spider man level. With her more dependent on technology than ever before. I would. I think we could have amazing stories better than anything she has had before. Stories with more suspense and more depth than before. Plus new takes on her rogues gallery. ( a cybernetic Cheetah,) plus new villains that can only exist with her being on a lower level. I know this was done before, but I feel that this is the right time for it.

#1 Edited by Fallschirmjager (19225 posts) - - Show Bio

powers have never been a factor in deciding if i do or dont read a book

#2 Edited by Hastalavista (387 posts) - - Show Bio

N-O W-A-Y!

#3 Posted by WonderWomanFan8 (219 posts) - - Show Bio

So basically you want her to be a female version of Bats?

#4 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

No

#5 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8888 posts) - - Show Bio

No. I want WW strangling hydras and wrestling with giants not dealing with thugs with guns

#6 Edited by Black_Claw (3230 posts) - - Show Bio

NO! Taking on street punks is far below the Princess of the Amazons.

#7 Posted by RDClip (1168 posts) - - Show Bio

Look up Wondy from the 70's when she was a white jumpsuit wearing kung fu crime fighter with not superpowers other than puffy disco hair. People (especially feminists) hated it.

#8 Posted by PowerWoman (3576 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes,if Darkseid/mongul/zod/doomsday easily beat wonder woman then Supergirl/powergirl fight them to save wonder woman life

That's great

though,New 52 wonder woman/Pre-crisis/Pre-52 wonder woman never as powerful as superman

#9 Posted by Hastalavista (387 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes,if Darkseid/mongul/zod/doomsday easily beat wonder woman then Supergirl/powergirl fight them to save wonder woman life

That's great

though,New 52 wonder woman/Pre-crisis/Pre-52 wonder woman never as powerful as superman

Ooookay now I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or really mean it. My bet's on sarcastic. Yes?

#10 Posted by PapiNacho (3241 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm, it could work and it would make her deflection of bullets not pointless. I picked option two but really I have her be street level when her bracelets are on and then near Superman level with them out. So both.

#11 Posted by PowerWoman (3576 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerwoman said:

That's great

Ooookay now I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or really mean it. My bet's on sarcastic. Yes?

You are right,I'm sarcastic

#12 Edited by Bruxae (14563 posts) - - Show Bio

Its an interesting idea and would be cool as a oneshot or a new hero based on the concept. But please dont mess with Diana.

#13 Posted by PowerWoman (3576 posts) - - Show Bio

So if wonder woman is super weak,who is DC most powerful woman?

Supergirl or Powergirl?Wow,I like this idea

#14 Posted by Der_Arzt (75 posts) - - Show Bio

What's the point? Much better as a new character.

#15 Posted by RustyRoy (14597 posts) - - Show Bio

As an Elseworlds story yes but she should not be dependent on Tech, it would be better if it takes place in past, I mean 2-3 thousands before current timeline, she could have have a normal amazon's power level or something similar to Xena, taking on mythical creatures and monsters, now that would be awesome.

#16 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (874 posts) - - Show Bio

No it wouldn't, there's already a Xena. If that's what I wanted I'd read Red Sonja. The op should read Batgirl or Birds of Prey or maybe pick up some Manhunter back issues. I like Wonder Woman as the most POWERFUL heroine of the DCU, anything less is unacceptable.

#17 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe in the form a story arc, at the end of which she gains her abilities back. A permanent move to street-level just seems like a major step backwards.

#18 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (874 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe in the form a story arc, at the end of which she gains her abilities back.

You just described the Odyssey, the JMS storyline that everybody hated.

#19 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_rogue_moderator said:

Maybe in the form a story arc, at the end of which she gains her abilities back.

Comic fans hate everything. I seldom concern myself with the majority opinion. I personally liked Odyssey and the costume :)

But I was thinking more along the lines of the I-Ching street level version. With a heavy focus on martial arts and technical skill. Odyssey was more about WW rediscovering herself.

#20 Posted by Justthatkid (5361 posts) - - Show Bio

A elseworld story would be kinda cool like how Superman starts off like in Action Comics.

#21 Posted by Hastalavista (387 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_rogue_moderator: I Ching looks like the old Spock...

What's the point to have DC's biggest female hero to be a street fighter any way?

#22 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

@hastalavista: Ha! Never noticed that.

? Not sure I follow but whats the point of 90% of the things that happen in comics? We're not exactly dealing with sound logic here....

#23 Posted by Hastalavista (387 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_rogue_moderator: I think it makes more 'comic' sense for her to be powerful and respected as an ambassador to make a difference, a street level WW cannot do that, because she's no Batman.

#24 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

@hastalavista: No doubt, but in the context of this thread/hypothetical question, there is no real point. Its just one of those comicshop questions that fans can toss back and forth and speculate on. Like a, "What If? Wonder Woman edition."

#25 Posted by Hastalavista (387 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_rogue_moderator: I think what if stories are fine. I would like to see her as a deputy, which actually has been done before. But please don't mess with the main title.

#26 Edited by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_rogue_moderator: I think what if stories are fine. I would like to see her as a deputy, which actually has been done before. But please don't mess with the main title.

Nope. Going straight for the main title. Changing erthang! Costume, gone. Rogues gallery, gone. Powers, gone. Might even change the name too. Wonder Lady! Now thats whats up ;)

#27 Posted by Hastalavista (387 posts) - - Show Bio

@hastalavista said:

Nope. Going straight for the main title. Changing erthang! Costume, gone. Rogues gallery, gone. Powers, gone. Might even change the name too. Wonder Lady! Now thats whats up ;)

Dude you don't have to say it out loud

#28 Edited by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

@hastalavista said:

Dude you don't have to say it out loud

I shall destroy the WW you know and love

#29 Edited by Outside_85 (10889 posts) - - Show Bio

If I wanted to watch a street level woman who kicks ass through skill and gadgets, I'd go for Batgirl or Batwoman.

Also the current WW run has more depth than most DC titles has these days, so power levels has nothing to do with that.

#30 Posted by Hastalavista (387 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Edited by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio
#32 Posted by Hastalavista (387 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Edited by gokuwarrior (4368 posts) - - Show Bio

@hastalavista: @the_rogue_moderator: she has great fighting skills even with powers,i think it would be great to have her depowered for one arc,just one arc and nothing more,it would be a crime to take away her powers forever after 8 decades as the main female powerhouse in the eyes of the general audience in the world.

and for the one saying this would help to create better stories with her,that is false,having powers or not doesn't determinate the quality of the story,and there are a lot of things that they can still do with a powerhouse wonder woman,because her background is the greek mythology and that gives you many posibilities that haven't been used yet,she is the one that introduced the mythology to the mainstream audience,before marvel thor and hercules,way before kratos and xena,her character,powers and history aren't the problem if we talk about creating good stories,and i think perez and ruka proved it by creating her best 2 runs so far.

#35 Edited by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (874 posts) - - Show Bio

@scorpio_cassadine said:

Comic fans hate everything. I seldom concern myself with the majority opinion. I personally liked Odyssey and the costume :)

But I was thinking more along the lines of the I-Ching street level version. With a heavy focus on martial arts and technical skill. Odyssey was more about WW rediscovering herself.

No, she rediscovered her powers too. She couldn't fly until the fifth issue and didn't even block bullets until the third. The DP era lasted for years and she only got her powers back because of Gloria Steinem's complaints.

And oh yeah, that's my scan I posted last week.

#36 Edited by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

@scorpio_cassadine: lol Whatya mean no? Odyssey was a journey about WW discovering herself. This would include her powers ;) I'm not sure what Gloria Steinem's complaints have to do with what I said, or how long the DP era lasted. Like I said, my initial description was based off the I-Ching street level version, and not the Odyssey version for the reasons I explained above. Not sure what the debate is?

Could be. I just grabbed it off google rather then go back through scans to find mine.

Edit: Found em :)

#37 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (874 posts) - - Show Bio

The debate is about the fact that I disagree with what the Odyssey was about. I thought that was clear?

#38 Posted by THEOCITYLEGEND (1365 posts) - - Show Bio

A Wonder Woman without powers would be kind of useless. There are plenty of other heroes with superior h2h feats and she doesn't bring anything to the table in terms of mental capacity. A Wonder Woman without powers would not even come close to warranting a position on the JL.

Bats is incredibly intelligent along with having an incredibly deductive/tactical mind. Wonder Woman doesn't really have any of those things plus she doesn't like being stealthy and operating from the dark the way Batman does. She wouldn't be anything like Batman...

#39 Edited by Pokeysteve (8876 posts) - - Show Bio

I chose the 2nd option. Odyssey was a fun read but if that was main continuity I'd drop her book so fast you'd have to be the Flash to see it.....aaaaaaaaand that's why I don't have a lot of friends :/

So if wonder woman is super weak,who is DC most powerful woman?

Supergirl or Powergirl?Wow,I like this idea

Maxima would be either way unless we're talking New 52.

#40 Posted by batmannflash (6227 posts) - - Show Bio

eh no

#41 Posted by darkman61288 (823 posts) - - Show Bio

As opposed to being a female version of Superman?

#42 Edited by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

The debate is about the fact that I disagree with what the Odyssey was about. I thought that was clear?

So when I said Odyssey was about WW rediscovering herself, and you replied with

No, she rediscovered her powers too.

That meant you disagreed with me? My bad, didnt catch that at all. It kinda read as though you contradicted yourself. But my point wasnt really about Odyssey. It was about saying yes to the street level question but with certain parameters. That seems to have gotten lost somewhere.

#43 Posted by PowerWoman (3576 posts) - - Show Bio

@pokeysteve: Not really,Elaine Belloc is most powerful woman in DC,but I'm talking about "hero"

So,supergirl or Powergirl should be most powerful woman(in muscle strength)

#44 Posted by Pokeysteve (8876 posts) - - Show Bio

@pokeysteve: Not really,Elaine Belloc is most powerful woman in DC,but I'm talking about "hero"

So,supergirl or Powergirl should be most powerful woman(in muscle strength)

Maxima is a hero and is right there in strength with Superman. She was the only other person capable of fighting DoS Doomsday.

And Elaine is Vertigo. I don't believe anything that happens there is in DC's continuity.

#45 Posted by LyraFay (2536 posts) - - Show Bio

So you're basically talking about Black Canary?!

#46 Posted by PowerWoman (3576 posts) - - Show Bio

@pokeysteve: She just give doomsday one punch,not more,never toe with toe fight doomsday,also,supergirl once actual beat doomsday

But not matter,because Maxima not have any muscle strength feats could prove she was stronger than powergirl or supergirl

#47 Posted by Pokeysteve (8876 posts) - - Show Bio

@pokeysteve: She just give doomsday one punch,not more,never toe with toe fight doomsday,also,supergirl once actual beat doomsday

But not matter,because Maxima not have any muscle strength feats could prove she was stronger than powergirl or supergirl

Supergirl fought a different version.

If I remember right, Maxima has out-muscled Superman. No other female has done that to my knowledge.

#48 Edited by RulerOfThisUniverse (6499 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#49 Posted by SCORPIO_CASSADINE (874 posts) - - Show Bio

@scorpio_cassadine said:

So when I said Odyssey was about WW rediscovering herself, and you replied with

@scorpio_cassadine said:

No, she rediscovered her powers too.

That meant you disagreed with me? My bad, didnt catch that at all. It kinda read as though you contradicted yourself. But my point wasnt really about Odyssey. It was about saying yes to the street level question but with certain parameters. That seems to have gotten lost somewhere.

Too means "also" or "in addition to" how is that a contradiction? Regardless of what your point was about, my point was about the Odyssey and my belief that you amended the full nature of the story in an effort to disagree with me.

As far as the op's question, this is a troll thread. He made an identical one on CBR that got very similar results. He's only yanking our chains.

Anyone can see that a "street level" Wonder Woman is no longer Wonder Woman, in the sense that she'd no longer be the uber powerful, supreme super-heroine that she's been for the last 70 years. Therefore she'd essentially be a different character and also redundant, due to the several other heroines already in existence that fit the "street level" description.

#50 Posted by PowerWoman (3576 posts) - - Show Bio

@powerwoman said:

Supergirl fought a different version.

If I remember right, Maxima has out-muscled Superman. No other female has done that to my knowledge.

Maxima never beat superman,because superman dont want to fight with her,wrong