Does anyone else hate Hugh Jackman as Wolverine...?

• 142 results
jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jphulk26

... And couldn´t care less for another Wolverine film starring him. The X-Men should be up there with Batman, when it comes to popularity and relatability, but I think most of the movies have completely destroyed the X-Mens street cred. Why don´t they do a movie with the animated series cast, an epic 3d one, with a slightly darker tone, and all new cast.

It could be one where Prof X is dead, have them face Sinister or Apocolypse. It just makes sense to me, Hugh Jackman needs to go and they need to take the focus off Wolverine. He´s more cool when he isn´t the focus. I´d love to see that movie jubilee, Jean Grey (or maybe she´s dead and Psylocke is in it) Rogue with the power and attitude she had in the comics (can anyone say instant new comic sex symbol, who´ll give Catwoman a run for her money), with Beast, older rugged Wolverine, Gambit and Cyclops.

I think the last X-Men movie went in the right direction, First Class was actually the best x-Men film I´ve seen; but once again they´re going back to familiar ground and connecting it with the old universe. I would much rather that they did two x-men series of films: First Class and one set in a dystopian future, where Charles is dead, and then find away to connect the stories to meet in the middle. This could give them a chance to really give the x-men that gritty, mature, scifi feel it had in the cartoon. I mean not one of the films was better than an average episode the show. Yeah Jackman is good, but lets not blow it out of proportion, I think there are actors who could do a much better job and I also think after the next wolverine, it may be time for him to pass the torch. I personally have no interest whatsoever in seeing it.

My pick for wolverine and guaranteed to do a better job.

Jeffery Dean Morgan

poisonfleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By poisonfleur

Yes-- he is too tall-- and too much 'generic bad boy/ good guy material' NOT the wolverine I grew up with. :/

Madame_Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Madame_Mist

No denying Hugh is magnificent to look at but he wouldn't be who I would cast as Logan. But then I grew up with him as Wolverine so I can't see anyone else play the part.

But Jeffery Dean Morgan would be an awesome pick actually.

TheCowman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheCowman

I don't hate him, though he wouldn't be my first choice as Wolverine.

He hasn't done a bad job.

I will say I'm pretty apathetic when it comes to the new Wolverine and X-Men movies, but that has more to do with how the previous ones were written and put together.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By SoA
No Caption Provided

this...but with claws

Avatar image for illyanarasputin
IllyanaRasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By IllyanaRasputin

To be honest, I really like him as Wolverine. I am not a fan of the Wolverine we read in the comic books. Too many writers have control over him which makes his character, hypocritical, inconsistent and just plain stupid. That being said, I'm glad I can turn to the Movie-Verse of the X-Men franchise and enjoy him in the films, because if he was anything like he was in the comic books I probably wouldn't like him on the big screen either. Kudos to Hugh for making him likeable.

CTG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By CTG

@SoA said:

No Caption Provided

this...but with claws

That's an older Jimmy Hudson. Cast it.

Dang... I miss Leverage. :(

As for the question - I don't hate Jackman as Wolverine at all. He's done an awesome job and that's hard for me to say as I can't stand the Wolverine character as a whole. The only version of Wolverine I like is his son in the UU, Jimmy Hudson.

DarkxSeraph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DarkxSeraph

I think he's done alright. He's actually listened to fans when it comes to the character. IIRC, they were going to flat out have him aussie in the first film. Jackman got TONS of fan protests and he insisted that Logan still be true to the comics and canadian.

Roddy010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#9  Edited By Roddy010

I actually don't think Hugh was bad at all as Wolverine. As DarkxSeraph said he actually listened to what fans had to say as well as did research on the character. I give him props because he gave us a really good Wolverine.(His only flaw is that he is a tad bit too tall) Is there an actor who would fit the claws better? Most definitely, but I feel Hugh gave us the Wolverine we needed for the films, bad plots and all.

@DarkxSeraph: Lol remember Pride of The X-men?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By cattlebattle
@DarkxSeraph said:
I think he's done alright. He's actually listened to fans when it comes to the character. IIRC, they were going to flat out have him aussie in the first film. Jackman got TONS of fan protests and he insisted that Logan still be true to the comics and canadian.
This is kind of untrue. First of all, I don't know where you have heard that part of keeping him Aussie of the film...I am not saying your wrong, but if you could post a link to a source. From what I heard they were pretty adamant about keeping most stuff close to the source material.....including nationalities and (horrible) accents :) for the first film

Also, X-Men Origins Wolverine pretty much proved Hugh Jackman doesn't give a sh*t, he was a producer on that film and almost everyone that worked on the major parts of the film (director, writers, actors) were personal friends of his. I mean, I guess they kept a lot of aspects of Wolverine on point in that film....but ignored what made the other characters and the Weapon X process important
havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By havoc1201

i think he is great and he is loyal to the character he loves playing wolverine.

Rickbarry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Rickbarry

Jeffery Dean Morgan's only claim to fame is laying in a bed on Grey's Anatomy. He would be a terrible Wolverine. I could barely stomach him as The Comedian.

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#13  Edited By SavageDragon

I think Hugh Jackman at this point IS Wolverine for the Movie universe fans. He has a great Savage quality that he brings out and he really nails the look down as best as any actor could imo. I hope the new Wolverine movie kicks butt. Im way more excited for that movie than Iron Man 3.

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By jphulk26

@cattlebattle said:

@DarkxSeraph said:
This is kind of untrue. First of all, I don't know where you have heard that part of keeping him Aussie of the film...I am not saying your wrong, but if you could post a link to a source. From what I heard they were pretty adamant about keeping most stuff close to the source material.....including nationalities and (horrible) accents :) for the first film Also, X-Men Origins Wolverine pretty much proved Hugh Jackman doesn't give a sh*t, he was a producer on that film and almost everyone that worked on the major parts of the film (director, writers, actors) were personal friends of his. I mean, I guess they kept a lot of aspects of Wolverine on point in that film....but ignored what made the other characters and the Weapon X process important

Thank you, what I was thinking and what I didn´t say. I´m fed up of Hugh Jackman using Wolverine to further his career prospects and keep him relevant, rather than Wolverine being done properly as part of the x-men. He´s using Wolverine, and yeah he´s good, but he´s not mind blowing and whats the point of him being good if he´s in a load of shit films, that are showcases for him rather than the x-men mythology. Look at the shit he did to gambit, what kinda crap was that for instance.

We need a new direction for the X-men. First Class sorted part of it out, but a second X-Men set in the future, a Dystopia will be the best way to do that. Imagine a 3d x-men with, Zack Snyder like visuals, one where the sentinals and humanity have practically taken over and Magneto is ruler of Genosha, the only safe haven for mutants. Magneto was the one who inadvertantly lead to Charles death and single handedly vanquished hope from the world, now a withdrawn and bitter ruler. There is danger at every turn, starring most of the animated series x-men. Then they could connect that to the First Class universe somehow. I seriously think something like that would give the X-Men what it needs; a serious shakeup of the universe and make it relevent again. To be honest I don´t see Hugh in that picture. Also to this day I don´t know why they haven´t made an animated series of Generation X, that is basically the X-Mens answer to the Twilight series. Could be a major franchise.

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

I actually don't mind Hugh Jackman playing as Wolverine (since he's the only actor so far who has portrayed Wolverine), so it's really hard for me to see anyone else play Wolverine at the moment.

Tacos_Kickass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Tacos_Kickass

I didn't even read your post I just read the title but I totally agree. What made me stop liking him was when he started prancing around on Broadway, even though it has nothing to do with Wolverine it was just too much and ruined it for me. Ever since then I just couldn't take Wolverine serious in the movies, from that point on he was just a nancy boy with long fingernails.

But I'm probably just an idiot lol

jphulk26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jphulk26

@Tacos_Kickass said:

I didn't even read your post I just read the title but I totally agree. What made me stop liking him was when he started prancing around on Broadway, even though it has nothing to do with Wolverine it was just too much and ruined it for me. Ever since then I just couldn't take Wolverine serious in the movies, from that point on he was just a nancy boy with long fingernails.

But I'm probably just an idiot lol

:)

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I like Hugh Jackman. I would prefer a shorter actor play the part of Wolverine, though, just to give shorter than average folks a hero on the big screen to identify with, but I think he did a good job bringing the sexy to the role.

Mr_Holmes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's a good actor, but yeah his portrayal is too bland. His Wolverine doesn't feel dangerous. He's too well balanced between being edgy and being this beloved leader.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I don't mind him as an actor but he's wrong for Wolverine in both look, charisma, and portrayal.

Degalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My only issue is how flippin tall he is. But he definitely has the face and voice for it. That, and he's not stocky enough. He's too lean.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

#23  Edited By time1

I don't, I think he is cool

DRDOOMSDAY390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nope i like him as wolverine.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By PunyParker

When an arguably mediocre movie comes out,and gets a lot of bashing(Origins) and you are not going "with the flow" ,but still concidered great in this movie,that tells that you played the part DAMN WELL!

I love Logan and i loved him more though Jackman's portrayal of him.Wolverine in comics is what IllyanaRasputin said....writers often treated him like crap,changing his origin and personallity.Hugh gave us the vulnerable yet full of rage Logan,and the Logan who is accually likeable,and loveable,to all audiences!....It's the movie Wolverine we all needed!
And i love that a movie is coming out ,in July,and i love that X-Men DOFP will have him as Logan! He's great,and the best for the part,dead with it!!

Look at me straight in the eyes and tell me you dont get chills!!

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

He's OUR Logan....FACT!!

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope. Don't hate him. Love him.

Wolverine is my favourite comic character and I think Hugh Jackman did a phenomenal job -- in all the films. Do I associate the stories in the movies to the stories in the comics? Heck no! Just another alternate universe in my mind.

Yeah, he's too tall -- but that's about it. Everything else is perfect. Perfectly perfect.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lykopis said:

Nope. Don't hate him. Love him.

Wolverine is my favourite comic character and I think Hugh Jackman did a phenomenal job -- in all the films. Do I associate the stories in the movies to the stories in the comics? Heck no! Just another alternate universe in my mind.

Yeah, he's too tall -- but that's about it. Everything else is perfect. Perfectly perfect.

Exacly!

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

User Lists: 3

No, I like Hugh Jackman. I would prefer a shorter actor play the part of Wolverine, though, just to give shorter than average folks a hero on the big screen to identify with, but I think he did a good job bringing the sexy to the role.

I agree. I would like to see an actual short superhero make their way on the screen. That's one of the reasons why I loved Wolverine so much.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

Too tall, but it could be much worse.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By PunyParker
longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm not a Wolverine fan so maybe I'm the wrong person to speak to this. But I have no real qualms about Hugh Jackman as Wolverine. I agree he's too tall and that his character takes more attention away from the rest of the members. But Jackman himself seems to love the role. He has a dedication to it like Reeve had to playing Superman. Jackman's been at it for over a decade now. After DOFP I think he needs to hang up the claws and pass the torch.

knighthood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 49

#32  Edited By knighthood

@punyparker: Who said anything about ruining the character? Wolvie is supposed to be 5'3. Jackman is 6'2. Wolvie's height is a part of his character. You wouldn't cast Kevin Hart to play Michael Jordan would you? Height does matter a bit. So in my opinion Jackman it too tall, but he does a decent job.

LaserLambert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's weird that they haven't had someone play him who is short.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knighthood: Some people refer to this as "destroying" the character.....i just say that this is effusive.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@punyparker: People did list things other than height. I am personally fine with jackman

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: YAY! Team Hugh! :P

Avatar image for imnemothegemini
ImNemotheGemini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hugh Jackman has Ben phenomenal as James Howlett !

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Cause he's from Broadway ? :D

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he's perfect?

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't hate him but he wouldn't be my first choice.....or my second or third tbh.

The Mast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

Hugh Jackman only gets by because he's the only Wolverine we've ever had.

It took Garfield for us to realise Maguire was actually pretty lame in a lot of areas.

jhazzroucher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Nope

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#43  Edited By Extremis

No

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Extremis

@the_mast:

Wrong on both counts.

Tobey was better than Garfield's hipster douche version of Peter.

TekTheNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nope. there's no one else i could picture as wolverine.

The Mast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis said:

@the_mast:

Wrong on both counts.

Tobey was better than Garfield's hipster douche version of Peter.

Prove it. Oh, you can't, it's an opinion.

I don't share yours. Maguire was trash.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_mast: says the hipster.

Tobey is for the real fans. Later poser.

The Mast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis said:

@the_mast: says the hipster.

Tobey is for the real fans. Later poser.

It must make you rage. Good. I own every Spidey comic ever. I have enough money to own THAT Amazing Fantasy issue, and do. Does it suck to be you?

I bet it hurts that other people are bigger fans than you and still like Garfield more. Please get mad.

odinblast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love Hugh as Wolverine.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By lykopis

There's a reason why Wolverine movies do well and you can argue it's because of Hugh Jackman (much like how others identify with Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man).

What comic fans want and what gets up on the silver screen is becoming less and less relevant to producers who want to make money. Now it's all about the actor portraying the character and the only instance I can think of which proved different was Henry Cavil's well done performance of Superman (meaning a non A or B list actor). Going forward, he pretty much will be Superman to me.