Understanding what to buy first, help needed.

bigbill128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By bigbill128

I've just taken an interest in witchblade, but as usual i get put off by the confusing way they publish the TP :P

After some research it seems like it's ok to buy origins 1 through 3 and then start with the ron marz run, then redemption.

Would i be missing anything out this way?

Also http://www.amazon.co.uk/Witchblade-Prevailing-v-Michael-Turner/dp/1582401756/ref=sr_1_8?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1367165944&sr=1-8&keywords=witchblade+4 is this

The equivalent of thishttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Witchblade-Origins-3-David-Wohl/dp/1607060477/ref=sr_1_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1367166049&sr=1-2&keywords=witchblade+origins

Or will i need both? seems to me that they are the same, just the first is newer and has the darkness tie into it? sorry if i seem stupid, but i am really confused at the minute >.<

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

Man, I'm glad it's just the trades you're confused over. Haha. I find the whole Top Cow universe baffling and nigh impregnable, what with all the crossovers between all those different series. I haven't got a clue how new readers are supposed to ever start without being really lost.

bigbill128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akbogert said:

Man, I'm glad it's just the trades you're confused over. Haha. I find the whole Top Cow universe baffling and nigh impregnable, what with all the crossovers between all those different series. I haven't got a clue how new readers are supposed to ever start without being really lost.

LOL i don't really understand the universe, but after looking around a little witchblade seems to best place to start followed by the darkness :P then i'll probably move on to artifacts and angelus and all that, it is all very confusing indeed -_-

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

I've been considering starting a thread to ask about that, actually. Yesterday I found out about some event a couple years back which apparently launched Artifacts, so I've been considering starting there... But really, it's terrible, and seems like it'd be really hard to just follow one book.

bigbill128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@akbogert said:

I've been considering starting a thread to ask about that, actually. Yesterday I found out about some event a couple years back which apparently launched Artifacts, so I've been considering starting there... But really, it's terrible, and seems like it'd be really hard to just follow one book.

I see what you mean :P it seems like a hard universe to get into, but it seems like it will be well worth the effort :D i just bought origins v1, i'll let you know how i get on reading the universe the way i've decided and if i was confused or not xD

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimbob1141: Are you just looking for an easy jumping point and start fresh from there with a new series, if so how easy? Or are you looking to jump head first and go crazy exploring the Top cow universe?

bigbill128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By bigbill128

@crom_cruach: Basically i want to start the series from the START, i have gone ahead and bought origins 1 came today actually and so far im having a good time reading it so it's a keeper. I want to read the parts that are essential first, i can read the other stories later on :P

Would it be fine to read origins 1, 2 and 3 and then start reading the ron marz run? will i miss out essentials if i do that?

i also hear that volume 5 (first born) doesn't cover the whole first born story line or something, could you clarify this? (no spoilers though xD)

I'm going to explore the darkness and artifacts and angelus and all these, but one at a time, i'll catch up with witchblade first and then move onto the darkness most likely :)

Cheers

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jimbob1141: If you want to start with the beginning, you'll want to read the issues surrounding the church of light and the story arc following that. This will lead to a series of issues where you'll see a dramatic drop in quality after the fireburner arc. This was at the time that Witchblade was going through some very bad times with the troubles at Image and the ensuing problems with direction and finding a good writer. there are some good stories in there but overall this is the worst stuff in Witchblade there.You can skip that (except for the Death of Kenneth Irons arc, that's a must) Once issue 80 starts (when Ron Marz steps in) it gets golden. Ron Marz basically saved Witchblade and you can definitively just read issue after issue from there.

bigbill128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By bigbill128

@crom_cruach: You really put a spoiler in there? >.> anyway, what issues are the church of light and the arc following that, and what issues are the death of kenneth irons arc? are these all in origins 1-3 or am i going to have to buy some single issues?

Done a bit of looking and it seems the kenneth irons arc is around issue 70-75 or so, what trade paperbacks do i need to buy to get these? or is my only option to buy the single comics? i really want to stay away from the compendiums, i have a large dislike for comics of that size

If you could possibly give specific issue numbers for those arcs i will most likely just buy them digitally or check auction sites, that would be awesome if you could! would greatly appreciate it.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You need to read issues 1-75 basically. The church of light was an ongoing plot that lasted until around issue 35. Then the next issues is the continuing of the fall back of those stories and Sarah's interactions with the Witchblade. Not everything is necessary in there, but there are some bits that should be read (be warned quality is uneven). After that you can skip the next 5 issues and should definitively start at issue 80 because all the Ron Marz stuff is golden.

Really, the two compendiums are what you want despite your dislike of them they cover issues 1-100.

bigbill128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crom_cruach: I think i'll just skip that stuff then, i may just read up on the important stuff online, that'll do :P i may have a continuous search going on for the issues 26-79 and buy them bit by bit over a long time, but compendiums are a no go :P Thanks for your help, appreciated :D