Wally West being 12 is insulting

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By frozen  Moderator

Does anyone else just find this an insult to the character? Most New-52 characters retained their age in old canon, but nope, not Wally.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

New 52 Wally in general is insulting to fans of the pre-New 52 character. Should've just created a new character.

Dredeuced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Some characters got de-aged. Superman's younger than he was, Barry's younger than he was. Hell I think Bruce is younger than he was and they just condensed his escapades with his respective robins into a shorter timeframe.

It's only insulting because all of his friends -- Nightwing, Starfire, Kyle Rayner, the list goes on -- are all now too old to be his friends because they didn't get de-aged. That was part of the reason why they did it, though. The de-aging of Barry Allen isn't a big deal -- he's still The Flash, he's still in the Justice League, he's still best friends with Hal Jordan, Iris is still part of his life (and, like Lois Lane, is almost certainly his endgame love interest). They've cut Wally off from everything he could've possibly been related to besides Barry Allen(he has no friends, family, or team members to relate to, they even specifically broke up his relationship with Iris and made them strangers so he'll end up closer to Barry before even being friends with Iris) because their goal is to promote Barry Allen. They clearly are not in the business of doing anything interesting with Wally in the forseeable future.

Makes you wonder why the think making him black added diversity if he's going to be a bit character for atleast the next year.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@frozen:

1. The New 52 literally made everyone younger.

2. Why does it seem like everyone on the Internet is insulted by everything?

Dredeuced

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: To be fair, new 52 Wally is absolutely horrible. It is not a stretch to say it is an insult to the previous character that this one represents in name. That's Venditti's fault for not knowing anything about Wally and DC's fault for putting him on the assignment and telling him to bring back Wally despite the fact that Venditti has literally never read a Wally West story in his life.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@frozen:

1. Theres a BIG difference between making characters YOUNGER and turning them into the age of 12.

2. Why does it seem like everyone on the internet is ignorant? Why are most people fat on the internet? Why are you here? Why do you care?

It's just you.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@redwingx said:

@jaken7 said:

@frozen:

1. Theres a BIG difference between making characters YOUNGER and turning them into the age of 12.

2. Why does it seem like everyone on the internet is ignorant? Why are most people fat on the internet? Why are you here? Why do you care?

It's just you.

1. That was in direct response to the OP saying:

Most New-52 characters retained their age in old canon

2. What?

I doubt it.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By Transformers1024

Venditti is a phenomenal writer and I love his work on both X-O Manowar and Green Lantern but I really dislike his work thus far on Flash. Maybe I'm being a bit too critical since I happen to find Manapul and Buccellato's run my all time favorite Flash story, despite some of the criticism I may have had. But it doesn't help that Wally - who happens to be one of my favorite characters - was completely stripped down and re-invented to showcase diversity in the comic book medium while keeping nothing from his pre-52 days for the fans to recognize.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Making him 12 is to me absurd, one thing is that it dropkicks him out of the age group and circle of friends we've gotten used to over the last 30 years and more.

Another thing is that he is now the youngest of the big names in all of DC, he's younger than Burk-Tor, he's younger than Tim Drake and the rest of the group that makes up the youngest team. His Robin would be Damian, if he wasn't dead.

So yeah Future Barry, it is your fault Wally isn't a white 30-something with a wife and kids... it's also your fault he doesn't have any friends anymore :S

(Note: I dont blame Venditti for these changes, I blame DC for forcing this on him and Wally)

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Superguy1591

I've noticed a trend when it comes to pushing a narrative.

JazzLover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Many fans are angry about the new Wally due to many reasons but I'm just angry because of his age. I can deal with him being black or his personality change because it happened to many characters but I was at least hoping that Nightwing, Wally and Donna would reunite someday. You know there are many things that made me start to read comics and one of the reasons were the Teen Titans, the original Teen Titans. I loved their strong friendship and I feel in love with comics from that point on and I really hoped to see it again but Roy is playing best friends with Jason, Cyborg is gone and it's not certain if Donna will appear in this reboot and now Wally is 12. It is seriously too much for someone like me. It's like they erased something from my childhood but I can't be angry forever so I'll find a way to deal with it but I guess I'll never like this Wally as much as the Wally I liked pre-reboot (because he was my favorite Flash).

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wally West just sucks now. I'm just gonna pretend he doesn't exist and stick with Barry for my flash fix unless they make some major changes.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aging in comics is generally a problem, be glad he got younger than the rest if you like the character... means you probably get to keep him longer.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't he a kid when he was first introduced 50 or so years ago?

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wally West is still in limbo. That character using his name isn't Wally.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By kgb725

Kid flash wasnt a thing ?

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

Wasn't he a kid when he was first introduced 50 or so years ago?

So was Dick Grayson, Cyborge and several other teen heroes.

@kgb725 said:

Kid flash wasnt a thing ?

Yes?

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arturocalakayvee said:

Wally West is still in limbo. That character using his name isn't Wally.

This!