inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

This past week, on the CW Seed website, a new animated series debuted which ties into the CW/DC expanded universe featuring The Flash and Green Arrow. This new show is called Vixen and follows Mari McCabe as she returns home to Detroit.

The first episode runs about four minutes long and starts off with Vixen taking on both Flash and Arrow. Vixen, thanks to the Tantu Totem, has the ability to channel the powers of any creature in the animal kingdom. She can have the strength and agility of a lion or even blend into her surroundings like a chameleon. From there, the episode cuts back to three days prior, where Mari finds herself in jail and is bailed out by her father.

First thing's first, the main reason to watch this is that it's a really great character that is not only highly underrated but been shoved under the rug. Vixen has been a part of the JLA, Suicide Squad, and most recently, Justice League International. She's been a part of important story lines, and if we're going to get really into it, she's one of DC's best and most badass female characters. Sorry Supergirl, but Vixen is a whole lot awesomer. She's always been a more confident character and her powers always intrigued me a bit more. We get a brief taste of what she's about in the first episode.

Secondly, this show expands the DC/CW-verse, which is growing quickly, with Arrow, The Flash, and the upcoming Legends of Tomorrow, so this show could bring in characters from any of those shows, while building on its own world. On top of that, because this is an animated series, Vixen can do bigger things that the other CW shows may not be able to do, week after week.

There is a downside to the first episode though. The runtime is under 3 minutes and they try to pack way too much into that three minutes. Vixen feels more like a trailer for the show than the actual show. Just as you start to get into the actual episode and something really cool happens within the origin story for her, the episode ends. That's a big letdown, and knowing that these shows will all be relatively short is a bummer.

However, the show is free and because it's shorter, it's easier to get a quick watch in rather than having to spend 30 minutes in front of your computer, phone, or tablet. Regardless, the first episode shows a lot of promise, featuring one of my favorite DC heroes, and I look forward to seeing how this all plays out and whether or not Vixen will show up in any of the other CW shows.

Here's the trailer for episode 2, which hits the CW Seed site on 9/1/15.

New episodes of Vixencome to the site on Tuesdays.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1 the_stegman  Moderator

I absolutely will watch it!

Dedpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

BRING IT!!! The showrunners have said they probably won't be doing another spin-off for a while, which means even if this does well, the most we'll get is Megalyn Echikunwoke as Vixen popping up on Arrow and Flash. That said they should turn this into a full on animated series with Amell and Gustin reprising their roles when they show up.

Avatar image for currentthor2015
CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless you're not living in America, as the site doesnt allow anyone outside the US to view it.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Avatar image for mattydavehalpeo
MattyDaveHalPeo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unless you're not living in America, as the site doesnt allow anyone outside the US to view it.

Is there a legal way around this or will I have to wait like I did with Agent Carter?

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

@nightfang: rights agreements, real banal stuff that you'd think shouldn't get in the way of consuming mass media in the Internet Age but it dose.

LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@dedpool said:

BRING IT!!! The showrunners have said they probably won't be doing another spin-off for a while, which means even if this does well, the most we'll get is Megalyn Echikunwoke as Vixen popping up on Arrow and Flash. That said they should turn this into a full on animated series with Amell and Gustin reprising their roles when they show up.

They will be whenever they have a speaking role eventually.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Watched it was okay nothing special, probably wait until there are a a bunch up or it's over and watch it to completion. 5 minutes was way to short to really pull be in.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By Cloakx14

its pretty good.

skyroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It will get very little view. Nobody I know, has heard about cw seed. This is the first time I heard of it

Dro77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Dro77

I saw it and i would have enjoyed it if it wasn't 4 minutes long...come on DC!!

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a UK resident this is not possible for me as the CW seems to want to not allow their free online mini series available to anyone not american. Get me all excited only to ruin it before I can even watch the first part.

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I'm hoping this leads to an animated movie

CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mattydavehalpeo: As it stands now no legal way, although it is free to watch on CW so if you streamed it else where your not exactly doing much wrong, but each to their own.

Avatar image for staticdwanyemcduffie
StaticDwanyeMcduffie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was like 3 minutes long come on broooooooooooooo

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

Folly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@currentthor2015@mattydavehalpeo@titanbreaker@vitalius@nightfang I would suggest using a proxy or a browser extension to change your ID if using such a gimmick is legal in your country.

The 4 minutes are not much but they really did try to get as much story into it as possible. The only really bad thing is that it's 4 minutes...

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius: Watched it else where which annoyed me as I was full on ready to support it via sight but hey CW said no to that.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@folly: Why this was made into a 30 min short spaced over 6 eps I will never know as they got a good voice acting team and from the looks of it the same animators that did YJ. This seems like such a waste on a concept they were actually trying for.

CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@folly: I could do that but I cba, really if they want people to support it they should openly let everyone in the world be able to access it easily not just America so clearly they dont care too much. But I did watch it on another site and it was pretty good for 4 mins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@titanbreaker: Me too, i was ready to watch and support this series. I tried to look it up online and nothing.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius: First ep really did not need the tease at the beginning, after all when you only got 30 mins at best to tell a tale do not waste time showing what will come later, but overall I was pleased but left seriously wanting more.

Folly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vitalius: First ep really did not need the tease at the beginning, after all when you only got 30 mins at best to tell a tale do not waste time showing what will come later, but overall I was pleased but left seriously wanting more.

I think if they always show the future and the past like this it could actually work. It would make the story telling interesting and we would not have to wait weeks more until we see some real action.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@folly: Maybe, perhaps I am just worried with the fixed time limit and greedy wanting every second to count. Quite impossible but hey I am not one for being realistic.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@titanbreaker: There is a browser extension called "Hola". It's a free legal VPN that allows you to access region-locked sites.

Avatar image for heirtothekingdom
HeirToTheKingdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By HeirToTheKingdom
Numbuh1Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact that the episodes are only going to be like 5 minutes long, and the season itself is going to be short, to, just kills me. At least do eleven minutes.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I support the Vixen miniseries in principle because I have been starving for some new good DC animated universe, but I do not think a 30 minute miniseries is going to get people excited for much.

Seriously, why is there not a Justice League series on TV right now? It makes no sense, DC comics...just makes no sense.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#30  Edited By StMichalofWilson

Alright then. I'll watch it.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

all i need is good story and sick 2D animation!

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

I have a funny feeling about something after having seen the episode--so Mari's dad is named Chuck, which leads me to believe that he's probably named after Chuck Patton, the artist for the Detroit-era JLA, of which Vixen was a member.

ILOVEMARVEL23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why only 3 minutes??

wtk1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved it. Just wished it was longer.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Thanks for the reminder.I totally forgot about this show.

eamon542000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

how long will each ep be?

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@currentthor2015 said:

Is there a legal way around this or will I have to wait like I did with Agent Carter?

To bypass the stupidity of such blocks, I tend to use ZenMate for Google Chrome, pick US as proxy so I can watch it.

BuNKiTZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was nice, but too damn short. If all the episodes are as long as this one, and if what I read that there'll only be six episodes is right, then it won't even amount to 30 minutes. Sure hope that six episodes thing is wrong, though.

goonage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@lurkero said:

I support the Vixen miniseries in principle because I have been starving for some new good DC animated universe, but I do not think a 30 minute miniseries is going to get people excited for much.

Seriously, why is there not a Justice League series on TV right now? It makes no sense, DC comics...just makes no sense.

But if they do, it might confuse the viewers! I mean, Grant Gustin and Ezra Miller are, like, twins.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Hmm, looks interesting, but apparently it's for the US only...

ogg927

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This show was awesome, but sucks that it's only 5-min long. I hope they turn this into a series, it has the same quality of Young Justice.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#42  Edited By The Impersonator

This could have been a half-hour animated series.

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By COBRAMORPH

Sorry Supergirl, but Vixen is a whole lot awesomer

All Supergirl is, as well as Batgirl, Catwoman, Harley & PoisonIvy , is a support character for an established male. THATS why Supergirl is getting a show. We COULD get Black Canary, Vixen, Katana, the female Dr Light, Starfire, Raven, LibertyBelle1, Nightshade, PhantomLady, Maxima, to an extent Helena Bartinelli even if the Huntress name is a Bat-name, but no, DC has to resort to Bat/Super females.

Vixen's costume should be all yellow though, or at least have the black part yellow, & the yellow part cut out. OR, have the black part be cut out & it be a yellow bathing suit.

Joanofquetzal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joanofquetzal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@outside_85: hola, googleplay application. You should download it

TariqJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I absolutely loved it, even though it was only 3 seconds. I think her powers are awesome I just wish it was longer.

I also think that this will get even more dc followers into the amazingness of Vixen so she might be able to be a leading lady in the comics.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tariqjp said:

I absolutely loved it, even though it was only 3 seconds. I think her powers are awesome I just wish it was longer.

I also think that this will get even more dc followers into the amazingness of Vixen so she might be able to be a leading lady in the comics.

We are all hoping for that to happen :)

TariqJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@titanbreaker: I know Vixen is so under appreciated they should use her much more. No offense to anyone, but I really don't like Cyborg, but while watching Justice League Unlimited I fell in love with Vixen.

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tariqjp said:

@titanbreaker: I know Vixen is so under appreciated they should use her much more. No offense to anyone, but I really don't like Cyborg, but while watching Justice League Unlimited I fell in love with Vixen.

Are you suggesting Vixen should have been picked in the big 7 over Cyborg? Because if you are I support you all the way!

TariqJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@titanbreaker: thank you for agreeing I thought I was gonna get backlash for that. It's like cyborg go eat some waffles or something