inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

In an interview with ICV2, DC co-publishers Jim Lee and Dan Didio discussed the their future plans with the company. One of the things they discussed was the state of Vertigo, which fans have noticed is in a bit of a bizarre state as it is not as strong as it once was

Lee explained that the company has increased the number of periodicals, but they've pulled back on original graphic novels and other related formats. He said the imprint is a major priority and something the company strongly believes in. However, it seems a lot will change for Vertigo in 2015.

If you look at what we’re going to do in 2015 (which I’m not at liberty to discuss at this moment), possibly first quarter next year, you’ll see that we’re going through a major effort to rebrand the imprint. That’s going to come about through the projects themselves.

Apparently, they are working on a "hit list" of some of the best creators in the business and they have some big announcements to announce in the early part of 2015. It's no secret that many creators, who want to work on creator-owned projects, have been flocking to Image Comics, which has become the home to many of the industries top talent, working on many noteworthy projects, including Brian K Vaughan, the one time writer of Vertigo books like Y: THE LAST MAN, SWAMP THING, and PRIDE OF BAGHDAD, who now has had much success at Image with his book SAGA.

You just can’t rest on your laurels, especially on a creator-driven business. You don’t have the legacy of characters like Batman and Superman to draw upon. It really all comes down to the creators and the concepts that they bring to the table.

It seems like Vertigo could have a resurgence, depending on what their plans are in the upcoming year. Stay tuned in early 2015 for more news about the Vertigo revamp. Which creators would you like to see at Vertigo and are their any Vertigo concepts you'd like to see revamped?

Source: ICV2

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Yay!

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

but isn't vertigo apart of the main universe now so will these stories like still be apart of it? Because i wouldn't mind a ellaine belloc series.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Which creators would you like to see at Vertigo and are their any Vertigo concepts you'd like to see revamped?

Also, is "Myself." an acceptable answer? Because myself.

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#4  Edited By Darkchild

Long as they keep it awesome if they decide to reboot vertigo as well I'll be fine. I'd love to see a new Enigma or perhaps continuation of transmet

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#5  Edited By kennybaese

@primebonnick said:

but isn't vertigo apart of the main universe now so will these stories like still be apart of it? Because i wouldn't mind a ellaine belloc series.

They just the DC characters that ended up on the Vertigo imprint like John Constantine, Swamp Thing and Animal Man and integrated them back into the DCU. The creator owned stuff like American Vampire and Fables was always separate.

rev_sulphur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

This is awesome news.

kantrip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I reallllly just hope they leave FBP alone during this process but I doubt it will happen. *shrugs* Here's to new a creative stories. *raises coffee*

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Long as they keep it awesome if they decide to reboot vertigo as well I'll be fine. I'd love to see a new Enigma or perhaps continuation of transmet

At least the Enigma trade is getting a reprint.

BB

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

. Most of my favorite comics of all time are from VERTIGO. There used to be so many great and fantastic Vertigo series like V for Vendetta, Watchmen, Y the Last Man, Preacher, iZombie, Transmetropolition, DMZ, Scalped, Sandman, 100 bullets and it just goes on!!!

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kantrip said:

I reallllly just hope they leave FBP alone during this process but I doubt it will happen. *shrugs* Here's to new a creative stories. *raises coffee*

Editorial doesn't really interfere with series like they do with main DC line.

BB

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

Can't wait for reprint mine are falling apart

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

DC are firing on all cylinders at the moment its fantastic to see.

Sirzechs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes and No. Vertigo characters belonging to DC returned to the Main Universe but Creator own series wont be apart of it.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@primebonnick said:

They just the DC characters that ended up on the Vertigo imprint like John Constantine, Swamp Thing and Animal Man and integrated them back into the DCU. The creator owned stuff like American Vampire and Fables was always separate.

@sirzechs said:

@primebonnick said:

Yes and No. Vertigo characters belonging to DC returned to the Main Universe but Creator own series wont be apart of it.

oh thanks for the explanation guys i was a bit worried and i am a big fables fan so i wouldn't mind some new characters. Hell bring on a mazikeen series too.

Radx_Konkin75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bring back Hellblazer!

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I don't know what Vertigo's policy is in regards to creator rights, but something tells me if that gets overhauled the talent will come back.

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By lagozzino

"the state of Vertigo, which fans have noticed is in a bit of a bizarre state as it is not as strong as it once was"

So they cancel a bunch of Vertigo's titles which were doing just fine, take most of the line's flagship characters and reboot/integrate them into the DC Universe, put absolutely no effort into advertising the remaining creator-owned books, and then they act surprised that the Vertigo line is not as strong as it once was? I swear, with all the problems that the New 52 caused, Vertigo definitely got the rawest end of the deal.

Two of Vertigo's most acclaimed and long-running series, The Unwritten and Fables, are ending in December and March respectively, and there's been hardly a peep about either of them. This should be the perfect time to bust out some pomp and ceremony to make people want to go back and check out the whole series. Not to mention now should be the time to actually advertise the line's remaining series, some of which have just had such a quiet launch that I'd be surprised if DC actually even knew about them.

And let's not even get into how hard they botched the release of Sandman: Overture, which has been delayed to hell and back because they started soliciting the series before Gaiman had even handed in his scripts...

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

What benefits are there to launching one's comic with Vertigo rather than Image?

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

It seems highly unlikely but I'd like to see the return of Hellblazer. They can keep John Constantine a part of their main DC universe but put out a Hellblazer series as a continuation of the older and darker Constantine. JLD started off strong so, at first, I was accepting of his inclusion in the New 52 but that title has dipped in quality ever since Blight and the Constantine solo series hasn't been very good either. I don't want the character to wind up like so many great characters that DC editorial doesn't know what to do with.

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By lagozzino

Anyway, I'd like to see them do something with Tim Hunter/The Books Of Magic! I know they've got a version of Tim that was integrated into the new 52 who interacted with the JLD, but the whole point of Tim is that a version of him exists in every universe and each one of them has the potential to become the greatest magician of all time. With that kind of setup, there's really no problem with having two different incarnations of the character existing simultaneously in publication.

(Though from Lee's wording, all of our suggestions here are moot since it seems like they're really insisting on keeping Vertigo as a line of creator-owned books, while continuing to hold all the classic Vertigo characters hostage in the nuDCU)

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#22  Edited By Pokeysteve

OR.......they can just fix everything they f**ked up with the New 52.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm intrigued. Vertigo has a history of strong publications, and it's clear DC cares about its creator-owned line.

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What benefits are there to launching one's comic with Vertigo rather than Image?

With Image you get fronted no money, and you basically have to take care of all the publicity on your own. With Vertigo, you've got the advantage of DC's PR department to help you get interviews and maybe put some in-house ads for your book in some of their more popular books..... though they really haven't been doing that lately (hence the line not doing so well), so really the only benefit to choosing Vertigo (and really you don't choose Vertigo; Vertigo chooses you.) is that the line has a cult following so you're kinda guaranteed to at least sell a few thousand copies per month and get a TPB published.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@captain13 said:

With Image you get fronted no money, and you basically have to take care of all the publicity on your own. With Vertigo, you've got the advantage of DC's PR department to help you get interviews and maybe put some in-house ads for your book in some of their more popular books..... though they really haven't been doing that lately (hence the line not doing so well), so really the only benefit to choosing Vertigo (and really you don't choose Vertigo; Vertigo chooses you.) is that the line has a cult following so you're kinda guaranteed to at least sell a few thousand copies per month and get a TPB published.

Vertigo gets partial rights to any book they put out, that's why people are moving to Image.

TehStranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome, a lot of my favorite comic books are from the Vertigo imprint.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@captain13 said:

It becomes a potential WB property for a film or television series.

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By NukeA6

Overhaul? You mean like the New 52? I don't think I like this.

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nukea6 said:

Overhaul? You mean like the New 52? I don't think I like this.

Well, if there's one thing we don't have to worry about, its that this won't be the same kind of overhaul that they gave the DCU.
With the exception of Sandman-related stuff, everything Vertigo is publishing at the moment is creator-owned. DC can't force a reboot or anything. And they're too smart to try to reboot the Sandman continuity, because to do so would (1) guarantee that Vertigo's mighty cashcow Neil Gaiman would cut all ties with them (2) lead to a level of bad press that they just can't handle.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lagozzino said:

@captain13 said:

Vertigo gets partial rights to any book they put out, that's why people are moving to Image.

Yeah, I would love to get extra publicity and have access to those juicy resources, but it seems to me like nothing beats complete ownership--as long as your book is successful. I mean, with Image, the co-creators pocket almost everything, right? Also, if you create a successful property, tv/film studios may bid on it, leading to more money than I would expect a creator would get than WB automatically having a share in it...

Which would you guys say is better for a new writer to try to publish with and why?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@jonny_anonymous said:

@lagozzino said:

@captain13 said:

Yeah, I would love to get extra publicity and have access to those juicy resources, but it seems to me like nothing beats complete ownership--as long as your book is successful. I mean, with Image, the co-creators pocket almost everything, right? Also, if you create a successful property, tv/film studios may bid on it, leading to more money than I would expect a creator would get than WB automatically having a share in it...

Which would you guys say is better for a new writer to try to publish with and why?

I think in this day and age then marketing something yourself is a completely valid option and many creators have been successful doing just that.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

stoked on this. Ever since i started reading comic books, back in late 2012, everyone who finds out im a huge Image fan always rebuttle with they have nothing on Vertigo. Then they proceed to talk about how Vertigo's titles are the best creative-own titles out there. From Preach, Hellblazer, Alan Moore's Swamp Thing/V for Vendetta, Punk Rock Jesus and etc etc,
So i am looking forward to DC making Vertigo imprint a priority again. Cause truly speaking all my favorite reads on a weekly basis are all indie titles, very rarely do i go through my stack and say "man Batman was extraordinary" its definitely more like "Saga was fantastic!" or "Fatale kills! I love Brubaker!"

So i am glad to see Vertigo making a resurrection. Maybe some more Snyder/Azzarello/Milligan originals are in store!

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, there's really no advantage in choosing Vertigo over Image. Unless you're really not confident in your ability to market your series, to the point where you're willing to sacrifice part of your ownership and profits just to get that guaranteed Vertigo cult audience, there's no reason for a new author to be approaching Vertigo.

Though, again, I have to repeat that you don't really have the option of choosing Vertigo as a publisher anyway. Right now they're not so big on picking up series from unknown talent. Every book currently in the Vertigo lineup was created by people who already have an extensive resume, or have at least already worked for Vertigo in the past. (Though it seems from Jim Lee's comments above that they're planning to change that policy).

dimitridkatsis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

From what I understand they put Vertigo titles too much in continuity with regular books, BIG MISTAKE. Creators being free to do their thing under that label was the best move for dc back in the day. If it ain't broke don't fix.

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#38  Edited By fables87
@lagozzino said:

"the state of Vertigo, which fans have noticed is in a bit of a bizarre state as it is not as strong as it once was"

So they cancel a bunch of Vertigo's titles which were doing just fine, take most of the line's flagship characters and reboot/integrate them into the DC Universe, put absolutely no effort into advertising the remaining creator-owned books, and then they act surprised that the Vertigo line is not as strong as it once was? I swear, with all the problems that the New 52 caused, Vertigo definitely got the rawest end of the deal.

Two of Vertigo's most acclaimed and long-running series, The Unwritten and Fables, are ending in December and March respectively, and there's been hardly a peep about either of them. This should be the perfect time to bust out some pomp and ceremony to make people want to go back and check out the whole series. Not to mention now should be the time to actually advertise the line's remaining series, some of which have just had such a quiet launch that I'd be surprised if DC actually even knew about them.

And let's not even get into how hard they botched the release of Sandman: Overture, which has been delayed to hell and back because they started soliciting the series before Gaiman had even handed in his scripts...

I like what you say here and noticed that with Fables too. It's been around for 10 years and still can't find too many people who know about it and if they do they are reading the Deluxe (so they're not up to date at all). And I even noticed that about the Sandman series too. I liked what this said about Image too. Honestly I picked that up and that's why I migrated to Image. Only money I give to DC is for Fables and Fairest. I'll be honest I liked the New 52 at first, but now I just don't like the choices they're making.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain13 said:

Honestly, there's really no advantage in choosing Vertigo over Image. Unless you're really not confident in your ability to market your series, to the point where you're willing to sacrifice part of your ownership and profits just to get that guaranteed Vertigo cult audience, there's no reason for a new author to be approaching Vertigo.

Though, again, I have to repeat that you don't really have the option of choosing Vertigo as a publisher anyway. Right now they're not so big on picking up series from unknown talent. Every book currently in the Vertigo lineup was created by people who already have an extensive resume, or have at least already worked for Vertigo in the past. (Though it seems from Jim Lee's comments above that they're planning to change that policy).

I was thinking the same. Thanks for your thorough, well-reasoned reply!

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

Hopefully we'll finally get the Suiciders from the best artist in the biz, Lee Bermejo

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice to know their will be a bigger focus on Vertigo. Some of my favorite series are from there, including my all time fave, Y: The Last Man.

Bopper Girl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does this mean we'll be seeing Vertigo comics that can appeal to younger readers to?

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#43  Edited By MakkyD

It'll probably get turned into another Batman line :P

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vertigo pays page rate, Image doesn't, which might be betterfinancially for new creators.

BB

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have high hopes :D

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Cool. Vertigo historically has a ridiculous number of GOAT comics.

asjmooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheComedian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They seriously need to get their sh*t together. Really hope they fix it.

Vertigo was awesome.

Hoping we get a new Shade series too.

Avatar image for anthonypilone01
Anthonypilone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This could be a "Very Bad Thing" (tm). ..after seeing how they destroyed DC with the "New" 52, just when they could do worse-- BOOM! Now they are leave now stone unturned on the volume of phuck ups they can cause by having Vertigo bend over.

Just bring back the old DC universe already.

AND JIM LEE AND DAN DIDIO NEEDS TO GO!!!