Follow

Valiant/Acclaim

Publisher »

Valiant Comics began as an imprint of Voyager Communications, established in 1989 in part by former Marvel editor-in-chief Jim Shooter. It was discontinued in 1996 after being bought out by Acclaim Entertainment. After Acclaim closed its doors in 2004, the publisher was revived as Valiant Entertainment and has been publishing new material since May 2012.

Valiant Comics Fan Club

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#1  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

It seems that most Valiant fans don't just read one comic but instead read all of the comics in the Valiant Universe so instead of creating a thread for each character I thought I would make one centre thread for everybody. So this is a place where we can talk about characters, stories, books, movies and recommendations.

The two big releases this week were The Valiant #2 and Ivar, Timewalker #1.

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

So what did you guys think of the issues? I enjoyed The Valiant #2, the art is gorgeous and it was pretty cool finding out that Ninjak is at least half Japanese (I didn't know that) but I'm still pissed that they keep making Gilad look like a chump.

However I really really REALLY enjoyed Timewalker. So fun, action packed and fast paced and SCIENCE! So cool that Van Lente is basing the time travel on actual science. Also Ivar is the best kind of bastard.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

I'll be jumping aboard the Valiant train with Ninjak #1. Can't resist a Clay Mann book.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mercy_: Aw yeah, I'm looking forward to that as well. Gorgeous art and you can't go wrong with more British characters, especially non-white ones which you almost never get.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anybody else check them out?

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I don't read every Valiant book (I've even dropped a couple), but I still love them. The Valiant was my favorite of the comics I bought this week. And Ninjak is my most anticipated comic this year.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I liked both a lot. The Valiant 2 was a pretty good improvement over the first issue. And Timewalker was awesome.

@xwraith said:

I don't read every Valiant book (I've even dropped a couple)

Enter Armorines is really really cool. IDK why you didn't keep up with XO.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith: What did you think of the happenings in The Valiant? Do you plan on giving Timewalker a read?

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

I'm reading Rai, but I'm waiting to get Imperium.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: I haven't liked Manowar as much since the Vine stopped having a role in it. Although I did like Armor Hunters.

@jonny_anonymous: The Valiant seems like an even better version of Unity. Timewalker is a miniseries, right? I think it would be easier for me to just buy the trade.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AllStarSuperman

but I'm still pissed that they keep making Gilad look like a chump

It's gotten a tad better though. Sure he doesn't have the all important feats for the battle forums, but he was written pretty well in Days of Steel.

No, ongoing

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I'll probably have to pass, then. But I will say I loved Archer and Armstrong.

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@allstarsuperman I think they are still treating him pretty bad in the Valiant.

I hate the whole concept to be honest. "Gilad can't handle his own problems so he hires the rest of MI6 too do his job for him"

It's pretty stupid. And I hate who the writers try to drop feats for Ninjak in every possible way, but characterization wise Gilad is alright in this.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: Yeah that also kinda bugged me. It wouldn't be so bad if the Immortal Enemy had come with back up or a had a big amp so that he needed the backup. But it seems like Ninjak and Bloodshot will get all the feats in this series.

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

“This long-overdue series is Ivar’s time to shine, and thanks to the team of writer Fred Van Lente and artist Clayton Henry, he really does.”Wired

✮✮✮✮✮…[With] just one issue IVAR, TIMEWALKER has earned must-read status… I implore you to check this book out.” Comic Bastards

✮✮✮✮¾…Fred Van Lente and Clayton Henry have hit a home run… IVAR, TIMEWALKER is a book you cannot miss.”Geeked Out Nation

✮✮✮✮½…Congratulations, Ivar, Timewalker. You just made my pull list.”Nerds Unchained

✮✮✮✮½…Compelling storytelling worth reading… Fred Van Lente really is creating some amazing excitement here and it’s only the first issue!”Bloody Disgusting

No Caption Provided

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What new Valiant books are everybody looking forward to the most?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What new Valiant books are everybody looking forward to the most?

Ninjak is not just the Valiant book I'm looking forward to most, it's the comic book I'm looking forward to most period.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
    EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

V2 was good, didn't realize timewalker released this week . I'll have check it out. looking forward to Imperium aka Masters of Evil.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    Avatar image for earthsmightiest
    EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Space Commies!!!

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@earthsmightiest: Hell Yeah! Also I find characters like Silver Surfer and Captain Atom really interesting and this guy looks like an amalgamation of them.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I read both The Valiant and Timewalker this week. Loving The Valiant, but I agree poor Gilad is always getting shafted. Timewalker was fun. I thought the scientist/companion was a little annoying. Really excited for Ninjak and Bloodshot Reborn. Also happy to hear Dr. Mirage is getting a second mini. I love the supernatural corner of the Valiant universe.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read both The Valiant and Timewalker this week. Loving The Valiant, but I agree poor Gilad is always getting shafted. Timewalker was fun. I thought the scientist/companion was a little annoying. Really excited for Ninjak and Bloodshot Reborn. Also happy to hear Dr. Mirage is getting a second mini. I love the supernatural corner of the Valiant universe.

Really? That's awesome. I've been playing catch up on that and it's very good.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@jonny_anonymous: If you haven't seen or heard about The Second Life of Doctor Mirage, try to avoid looking anything up about it. It might spoil the end of the first miniseries.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Quantum and Woody Must Die IS. SO. GOOD!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a friend who I know would love Gilad. What story/stories should I use to introduce him to the character?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith: Give him the Greg Pak run.

@allstarsuperman: Btw Warren Simons confirmed we will see the "Eternal Emperor" Gilad again soon.

ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@earthsmightiest: Hell Yeah! Also I find characters like Silver Surfer and Captain Atom really interesting and this guy looks like an amalgamation of them.

That sounds right.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I was thinking about showing him The Valiant and possibly the "Wrath of the Eternal Warrior" arc of Archer and Armstrong too.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@xwraith: I'd show him Wrath of the Eternal Warrior and XO Manowar 15-16. Besides that I'd tell him to pick up 27-31 and 36 of Gilads classic run.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Here is some awesome Bloodshot Reborn variants and an interview with Dysart about Imperium

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

The first issue of Imperium from Valiant Comics debuts today, as part of the “Valiant Next” wave of six new titles for the publisher. Imperium features Toyo Harada, a character who Valiant says is the most dangerous mind in the publisher’s comic-book universe, and his powers have been exposed, causing him to be hunted by every government in the world.

Writer Joshua Dysart (Harbinger), who contributed to Valiant’s successful relaunch in 2012, says that starting a new phase of books is intimidating, but that much was learned during Valiant’s initial launch. As a result, he says, Imperium and Valiant’s other new titles will be better because of it.

“Now that we’ve been through a lot of that initial materialization, we can really reach for the next level,” Dysart told The Post’s Comic Riffs.

In Imperium, Dysart aims to craft a story that has no hero, but that isn’t necessarily a bad-guy book either.

“Harada is someone who has a real hard time relating to the empathic human experience in the moment, and this has allowed him to hurt people — kill people, even,” Dysart said. “We perceive that as villainy, but he is a big-picture kind of guy.”

“He’s heroic. The intellectual exercise I enjoy about writing him the most is to make sure that we’re true to both of those parts, and we can create something really contradictory,” he continued. “And I think that’s where truth in fiction lies is when you can contradict.”

Because Harada is a character of such immense power, creating worthy adversaries might seem an obstacle. But Dysart said that’s not the case with Imperium. He even hints that familiar faces from Valiant’s roster of characters could eventually show up in the title.

“The world is a consistent adversary,” Dysart said with a laugh. “The hope is that this book has a strong life, and that means different adversaries. I’d like to at some point have the entire Valiant universe aim their sights at [Harada]. The battle for Utopia pits you against everybody. Every race, every creed, every nation.”

And what of creating drama for a man who has superhuman abilities? When a man is powerful enough to take on the entire planet, can he really be placed in dramatic situations?

Dysart declares: Yes.

“There used to be the sentiment amongst those of us writing speculative fiction that if you create a God-like being, then there is no inherent drama. I completely disagree,” said Dysart, referring to Harada’s power. “I think it’s a harder creative exercise, but I think it can be just as rewarding.”

Every character has a weakness, Dysart said, and Harada is no different: Even a powerful mind is prone to occasional error.

“Harada has his weaknesses. They may not be weaknesses of the typical superhero nature — he has no Kryptonite — but he’s increibly hubristic, and he’s incapable of seeing the minutiae of the situation,” Dysart said. “He can make bad decisions, and a smart opponent can exploit that.

“It’s harder to write, but it’s ultimately more interesting to read, I hope.”

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Imperium got off to a great start this week. Harbinger was my favorite title when it was running and I'm glad to have Dysart writing Harada again.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@cap10nate: Yeah I think Harada is possibly the most interesting character Valiant has. He's a protagonist that is actually complex and not just skin deep complexity like a lot of characters.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rai had another fantastic issue today. That art is incredible and Kindt is telling a heck of a story.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cap10nate: I have all the issues but I still need to catch up

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cap10nate: I have all the issues but I still need to catch up

To be honest, if you can hold off on reading them I would until this arc is finished. It is a great read, but so much more satisfying when reading all at once. I'm really looking forward to re-reading the whole story at once whenever this arc is through.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.