Follow

Valiant/Acclaim

Publisher »

Valiant Comics began as an imprint of Voyager Communications, established in 1989 in part by former Marvel editor-in-chief Jim Shooter. It was discontinued in 1996 after being bought out by Acclaim Entertainment. After Acclaim closed its doors in 2004, the publisher was revived as Valiant Entertainment and has been publishing new material since May 2012.

Valiant Celebrates its 25th Anniversary This May with Some Huge Releases

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

Valiant's 25th year is going to be the biggest one yet! The silver anniversary celebration begins this May on Free Comic Book Day 2015, and continues all summer long with monumental new releases honoring Valiant's historic place in comics history – and laying the groundwork for another 25 years to come!

In 1990, the first Valiant comics hit the shelves and, then, the impossible happened – an upstart, independent company created a new, cohesive universe that managed to go toe-to-toe with the industry's biggest publishers, forever changing the comics landscape in the process. Some of comics' greatest talents – Jim Shooter, Bob Layton, Barry Windsor-Smith, and more – joined the ranks with a who's who of up-and-comers – including David Lapham, Joe Quesada, Jimmy Palmiotti, and Sean Chen – to build one of the first true legends of the modern age of comics.

25th Anniversary Poster by Kano
    25th Anniversary Poster by Kano

Quickly becoming one of the most recognized comic book companies in the world with more than 80 million comics sold, Valiant became the first publisher to ever approach Marvel or DC in scope and sales. In turn, Valiant's now-classic characters – X-O MANOWAR, BLOODSHOT, HARBINGER, ARCHER & ARMSTRONG, RAI, and dozens more – became a pivotal force in comics fandom, reshaping the industry with a character-first approach to comics storytelling and creating what would eventually grow to become the largest independent universe anywhere in comics.

Now, two and half decades on from those monumental origins, Valiant is proud to announce the Valiant 25th Anniversary celebration – a months-long commemoration of the indelible heroes, volatile villains, and world-class creators that shaped Valiant into one of the most celebrated publishers in comics history. Spanning an all-star cast of Valiant's talents past and present, this summer's celebration of 25 years of Valiant begins on Free Comic Book Day with the Valiant 25th Anniversary Special, and will continue with all-new new releases across Valiant's monthly publishing line in print and digital, hardcover and trade paperback catalog, and roster of licensed merchandise.

"Valiant has always been about creating stories that will stand the test of time 25 years from now, not reflecting on the successes of 25 years ago," said Valiant Publisher Fred Pierce. "As a member of the Valiant team across more than two decades, I can say that our 25th anniversary is an incredibly exciting turning point for us as one of the premier storytelling companies in comics. All summer long, we'll be revealing glimpses of where Valiant is headed next with special initiatives in print, digital, and licensing for one of our largest and most coordinated efforts to date."

"Even after two decades, many of the innovations Valiant brought to the industry shortly after its arrival in 1990 continue to be felt today," said Valiant CEO & Chief Creative Officer Dinesh Shamdasani. "For the 25th anniversary, we're celebrating that spirit of creative freedom that made Valiant such an influential force in the first place, and honoring those that made it possible for us to continue the mission of making the best superhero comics in the industry.

FCBD 2015: VALIANT 25th ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL – Cover by Rafa Sandoval
    FCBD 2015: VALIANT 25th ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL – Cover by Rafa Sandoval

"Each year, we always make it known to fans and retailers that they can expect something big from Valiant on Free Comic Book Day," he added. "Rarely are there occasions bigger than the 25th anniversary of one of the most iconic publishers in comics history. Kicking off with our Free Comic Book Day release, and continuing throughout the summer, we're going to make Valiant's 25th year its most exciting to date. Titles like BLOODSHOT REBORN, NINJAK, IMPERIUM, and DIVINITY are only the beginning. All summer long, we'll be revealing a slew of surprises spinning out of our silver anniversary plans."

The year's can't-miss celebration officially kicks off on May 2nd in the FCBD 2015: VALIANT 25th ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL – featuring two all-new stories and a myriad of never-before-seen special features chronicling Valiant's storied place in comics history! First, New York Times best-selling writer Jeff Lemire and blockbuster artist Butch Guice chronicle the devastating fallout of THE VALIANT as Bloodshot rises from the ashes to unleash a never-before-seen prelude to BLOODSHOT REBORN! Then, Valiant superstars Robert Venditti and Rafa Sandoval throw down the gauntlet for an action-packed introduction to the world of X-O MANOWAR and an all-new tale of DEAD HAND! Plus: NINJAK; IMPERIUM; DIVINITY; IVAR, TIMEWALKER; RAI; special guests from throughout Valiant's decades-long history; and a cavalacade of special surprises!

The Valiant 25th Anniversary celebration continues throughout the summer with a host of new offerings in May and beyond, beginning with two very special places for fans to discover Valiant's biggest heroes! First up, don't miss the all-new VALIANT UNIVERSE HANDBOOK: 2015 EDITION, spotlighting everything you need to know about Valiant's heroes – who they are, what makes them tick, and where they're headed next! Featuring highly detailed and thoroughly updated entries on all of Valiant's most important players, discover everything you need to know about Valiant's award-winning publishing line here -- just as the 25th Anniversary celebration begins in full force!

FCBD 2015: VALIANT 25th ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL – Interior Art by Butch Guice
    FCBD 2015: VALIANT 25th ANNIVERSARY SPECIAL – Interior Art by Butch Guice

Then, get up close and personal with the legendary origins behind Valiant's most indelible icons in the VALIANT: ZEROES & ORIGINS trade paperback collection, re-presenting each of Valiant's greatest zero issue introductions to X-O MANOWAR, BLOODSHOT, HARBINGER, SHADOWMAN, and more from a world-class cast of creators including Joshua Dysart, Matt Kindt, Lewis LaRosa, Clay Mann, Peter Milligan, Mico Suayan, Robert Venditti, and many more!

Plus: don't miss a very special new series of Valiant 25th Anniversary variant covers by red-hot artist Rafa Sandoval showcasing a diverse cast of heroes and villains from across 25 years of Valiant history beginning in May! A special series of alternate shelf covers featuring Valiant's ever-growing line-up of heroes new and old, look for these Valiant 25th Anniversary variant covers on your favorite Valiant titles all summer long.

May 2015 is only just the beginning… Stay tuned for even more exciting Valiant 25th Anniversary news and releases in the weeks and months to come!

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    BLOODSHOT REBORN #2 – Valiant 25th Anniversary Variant Cover by Rafa Sandoval
    BLOODSHOT REBORN #2 – Valiant 25th Anniversary Variant Cover by Rafa Sandoval
    IMPERIUM #4 – Valiant 25th Anniversary Variant Cover by Rafa Sandoval
    IMPERIUM #4 – Valiant 25th Anniversary Variant Cover by Rafa Sandoval
    UNITY #18 – Valiant 25th Anniversary Variant Cover by Rafa Sandoval
    UNITY #18 – Valiant 25th Anniversary Variant Cover by Rafa Sandoval

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Cap10nate

As usual with Valiant, it all looks fantastic.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Cool.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
    EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Golden Age of Valiant, I wish more ppl could branch out from the Big 2 to enjoy, I would post X-O Manowar v. Iron Man in battle forum but I know if I got 1 or 2 posts I would be lucky.

Come on ppl give Valiant a chance!

Avatar image for red_lightning_alpha
    Red_Lightning_Alpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just started reading Valiant this month trying to catch up now, really good stuff some of the best I've read in a while. I love Marvel but Valiant is so manageable to keep up with everything and so far the line exudes quality. Really pleased I finally started reading.

joe_diablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This all looks so awesome. I bought divinity, but haven't read it yet. I don't doubt that its as good as everything else they put out so far. I can't wait for the new Bloodshot. Lemire equals auto-buy for me.

Well really anything Valiant right now is a auto-buy. The only thing I need now from Valiant is some new Archer and Armstrong. Come on Valiant I need my A&A fix! or some more Delinquents action please!

Oh and X-O would beat Iron Man.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

I always used to love Handbooks but these days the Marvel ones are just full of gibberish but since Valiant so young the handbook should be accurate and I'll enjoy reading it.

Also dat Bloodshot art!

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Love that Bloodshot cover.

EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree, sadly in a recent battle of the week the community voted that Colossus could take X-O Manowar! Shows how little ppl know what this guy could do, I can see him take on some of the powerhouse from both companies i.e. Thor, Hyperion, Supes and maybe pulling a few of those out.

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Hyperlight

Loving valiant!!! Big handbook fan so i will see whats up with it

joe_diablo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joe_diablo said:

I agree, sadly in a recent battle of the week the community voted that Colossus could take X-O Manowar! Shows how little ppl know what this guy could do, I can see him take on some of the powerhouse from both companies i.e. Thor, Hyperion, Supes and maybe pulling a few of those out.

The lack of respect I say! It's true ppl don't really know what he can do and thats a shame honestly. He's a badass! And I agree with you, I think he would give a few of the powerhouses of the big 2 a good fight.

Zoch81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#11  Edited By Zoch81

Valiant is awesome like another poster above said more people should branch out from main two and give Valiant a try.

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Valiant Character of the Month for May!

EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tyger said:

@k4tzm4n: Something to consider, how about a poll choosing a Valiant character for change?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#15 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@tyger said:

@k4tzm4n: Something to consider, how about a poll choosing a Valiant character for change?

Next month's options have already been selected. I'd love that, but the segment needs to build more of a following before we can branch out and focus on non-big 2 characters.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: May is still a bit away, still time to mull it over.

EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n:

Valiant characters need all the help and promotion they can get! X-O and Ninjak are starting to grow, give them a shot and see what happens.

Thanks

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
    Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Valiant is awesome.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#19 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@k4tzm4n:

Valiant characters need all the help and promotion they can get! X-O and Ninjak are starting to grow, give them a shot and see what happens.

Thanks

I think we've been doing plenty to give them a shot and promote them. That said, the CotM segment needs time to grow and, seeing as there's only options once a month, we'd like to get many of the heavily demanded/obvious choices out there first.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By AllStarSuperman

I like how EW isn't even mentioned at all

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#21  Edited By DonFelipe

@jonny_anonymous said:

Also dat Bloodshot art!

Did you see the REBORN inks they put up on their new tumblr site?

Edit: You can find them here, too. It's faster.

Nice inks, huh?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

Those are some good looking covers.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

@earthsmightiest: people should explore past the big 2 , there are so many great comics

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

love that livewire cover but with that est. 1993 date would be nice to see her back then and now...oh she was a red head white girl? nevermind lol.

but on a serious note LOVE valiant, BRING BACK HARBINGER SOON!, and will continue to celebrate and spread the greatness of this company that is naturally very diverse in terms of characters, titles and talent

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

@k4tzm4n: what about image? i get how "popular" the big two are but this is a comic site i think fans here are diverse enough to branch out into other companies like zenescope, image and valiant

Catsnlynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm reading volume 2 of X-O Manowar.

EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is Livewire on Unity 18 sneaking out of Ultron's Lair?

No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't read Valiant since pre-armour hunters, need to change that. The Valiant now selection looks so good.

Avatar image for the_kid_lantern
    The_Kid_Lantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm still waiting for one particular title to come back somehow. It changed the whole way I viewed Valiant comics. Talking about the Visitor....

No Caption Provided

~KL~

Zumafire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Blood shot reborn... whoa... this gonna be good

d9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32  Edited By d9000

@earthsmightiest:

If this 25th anniversary is the Silver Anniversary does that make it the Silver Age now or was it the Silver Age until now? And now it's the Golden Age?

Also Valiant = Greatness.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Valiant attempted tie in to fellow Indie publisher Image at one point, doing a crossover with some interesting similarities to the Marvel / DC that occurred 2 years later.

Unfortunately, a comic company 'by artists and for artists'... forgot that they need writers and a 'boss' at the helm setting deadlines. Image was plagued by late issues and missed deadlines for their half of the story.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

VALIANT!

scavengerFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I truly regret not getting the Armor Hunters FCBD last year. *sigh*

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.