gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Get ready to hold onto your seats when you read this issue. The X-Men, including Scott Summers and the senior members of his team, have been listening to Profess X's last will and testament. While there have been some pretty shocking revelations there, the whole concept of actually hearing Charles' will is making many of the members realize what it means. Xavier is dead and it was Cyclops that did it. He may have not meant it but that's what happened.

While there's a lot happening in this issue, getting the chance for the characters to talk about Xavier's death was a little refreshing. Everyone doesn't deal with death the same way. Seeing how Iceman reacts or what Cyclops might be thinking was nice to see. It's been a little while now since Xavier died but we didn't get to see a lot of the grieving. This isn't saying we need page after page of characters mourning but even his memorial felt a little brief.

Adding to this is Kris Anka's art. Each time I see his art I become more and more of a fan. There's a sense of flair to the way the characters look and you really get a sense of the emotion they're going through, whether it's grief over Xavier or the shock at a major threat that's just surfaced. The colors are pretty bold too, in an almost in-your-face fashion. Anka's line work is super tight and it's always great seeing so much detail especially in a team book featuring a lot of characters.

The Bad

Charles Xavier's last will and testament still hasn't been resolved. This has been going on for several issues. Certain team members have to deal with Matthew, the mutant Charles was working with, before they can hear the rest. In this issue, they haven't even reached him yet. It feels like it's going a little slow but at the same time, there's a lot of other things going on in the issue with the X-Men's emotions and S.H.I.E.L.D.'s attempt at dealing with the threat.

The Verdict

Life's never easy for the X-Men and Brian Michael Bendis is doing a great job reminding us of that. This almost feels like the first time we're really seeing some of the X-Men deal with the death of Professor X despite it having happened a little while ago. Bendis does a great job in showing the anger or guilt some are feeling. Kris Anka's art is fantastic here, capturing each moment nicely. The art is accentuated with bold colors that practically jump off the page. We don't have all the answers to Xavier's last will and testament just yet but there's plenty of action going on. This book is jam packed with action and emotion topped with amazing visuals. What more could you ask for?

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By The_Titan_Lord

Nice issue. Lot's of conflicting emotions. Cant wait for the next issue. I mean how would handle someone who's beyond "Omega Level"?.

Though I'm kinda annoyed by Scott's childish reaction towards Charles resolves on Matthew.

DADDY_XERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's sad that we are still having to put up with the poor writing of schism and AvX.

personally, I want warren back. time travel, psyche duplication, anti-life seed whatever. I want him back. and he should be on Scott's team.

bobby, hank and ororo all suck!

Cyclops was/is Right

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By meatwadf

@the_titan_lord: Wait, what? I haven't been reading this, but it's simply not possible for a mutant to be "beyond Omega." That's literally the end of the line and the top of the heap. This is starting to remind me of the Voyager episode where they went past warp 10 and turned into lizards.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By The_Titan_Lord

@meatwadf: Yup. This one is. It's a solid issue.

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By meatwadf

@the_titan_lord: Well, I'm glad the writing is solid, but knowing that just bugs me. lol Like, we have mutants classified as that, that can rewrite entire multiverses. I just don't see the point in adding a classification higher than that. Oh well.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatwadf: Yeah. But I really how they classified any of them. Hopefully you find this one to your liking.

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By meatwadf

@the_titan_lord: Sadly, I'll probably never pick up. Have had to really cut back on comics for a bit now.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatwadf: Too bad. Anyways you have a nice day. :)

Flopsop200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love this series but it has been dragging lately. Barring Iceman being completely unlikable and Firestar pointing out the obvious, all they did was get on a plane.

Hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Overlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

This has been another in a long line of UXM issues that is stretched far too thin, full of petty drama, and alterations to continuity that should be giving the editorial department pause.

I love this series but it has been dragging lately. Barring Iceman being completely unlikable and Firestar pointing out the obvious, all they did was get on a plane.

I keep dropping it then picking it back up in the hopes it will get better. This may just have to be relegated to MDCU until either Bachalo gets back or there is a coherent and active direction.

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatwadf said:

@the_titan_lord: Wait, what? I haven't been reading this, but it's simply not possible for a mutant to be "beyond Omega." That's literally the end of the line and the top of the heap. This is starting to remind me of the Voyager episode where they went past warp 10 and turned into lizards.

Franklin Richards has been this for quite some time.

Gizmorino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@DADDY_XERO: that's what is in my mind. Warren should come back. Beast and bobby annoys me, and would like them to take x23 and 'kid' warren's relationship serious

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tyger: AFAIK, only the celestials have classified him as such. Everything else, including Marvel Handbooks classify him as Omega.

Bl00dwerK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Moving at a snail's pace. That's the one thing I don't like about this book...

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's sad that we are still having to put up with the poor writing of schism and AvX.

personally, I want warren back. time travel, psyche duplication, anti-life seed whatever. I want him back. and he should be on Scott's team.

bobby, hank and ororo all suck!

Cyclops was/is Right

Thank you. If anyone is to blame for Xavier's death it is the Avengers and specifically Iron Man. The goal of the X-men at the start was to have the Phoenix bond with Hope. Iron Man blasts the Phoenix, forcing it into the X-men. The Avengers then suddenly decide that Hope should have the Phoenix as it it were their idea originally. I used to be a huge fan of Iceman, but his ill placed anger at Cyclops has really made him come off like a tool. Where are the X-men that defended Jean Grey after she was possessed by the Phoenix? Marvel has a lot of weird double standards when it comes to how characters react to eachother.

The Avengers and Marvel heroes in general hate the Punisher because he kills. Yet they work with Wolverine, Deadpool, and Elektra; the latter two of which will kill for money or sport.

DADDY_XERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kazekaine1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If he's that powerful were does that leave Franklin?

DADDY_XERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought hope was the most powerful mutant.

there is a strong chance I am wrong but I thought she was basically a jesus birth by the phoenix and human mother.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm. I think I just am not the audience for the deconstructed storytelling approach. Everything seems to take too long, and there isn't much of a payoff.

@hassun said:

Casual reminder that this person is being allowed to write X-Men and Cyclops in particular:

http://brianmichaelbendis.tumblr.com/post/72637188133/will-you-ever-hook-scott-and-emma-back-u

How can an author this uninformed and uninterested in these characters be allowed to write them?

It boggles the mind.

I agree. It really doesn't seem like he likes the X-Men at all. Which is strange, because writers such as Morrison and Whedon were able to take the characters in different directions without needing to destroy them. Morrison killed Jean off, but he respected the character to make her a focal point for New X-Men, and even had her "resurrected" as the White Phoenix.

Bendis likes writing characters on their own; I really don't get the impression that he appreciates the communal aspect that teams bring. Every character he writes ends up being isolated in some way.

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm. I think I just am not the audience for the deconstructed storytelling approach. Everything seems to take too long, and there isn't much of a payoff.

@hassun said:

Casual reminder that this person is being allowed to write X-Men and Cyclops in particular:

http://brianmichaelbendis.tumblr.com/post/72637188133/will-you-ever-hook-scott-and-emma-back-u

How can an author this uninformed and uninterested in these characters be allowed to write them?

It boggles the mind.

I agree. It really doesn't seem like he likes the X-Men at all. Which is strange, because writers such as Morrison and Whedon were able to take the characters in different directions without needing to destroy them. Morrison killed Jean off, but he respected the character to make her a focal point for New X-Men, and even had her "resurrected" as the White Phoenix.

Bendis likes writing characters on their own; I really don't get the impression that he appreciates the communal aspect that teams bring. Every character he writes ends up being isolated in some way.

Yeah but to be fair Morrison did destroy Magneto to the point that they had to retcon it into being someone else. Having a proud mutant who was also a Holocaust survivor become a crazed drug addict was pretty crappy. I will agree with you on Whedon though, the X-men were pretty good during his run.

Avatar image for spacemanspiff85
spacemanspiff85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm very curious how Exodus ended up working for SHIELD. Hopefully this isn't the only time he'll be shown with them.

Hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24  Edited By Hassun

@theblackhood:

@phoenixofthetides:

It's not because I just want Emma Frost and Cyclops to be together either. The problem is that what he's saying is simply not true. Combine that with truly awful characterizations where he shows he does not care whatsoever about any part of the characters. Why even do it if that's the case? Because Marvel tells you to?

It makes no sense.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By The_Titan_Lord

@tyger said:

@meatwadf said:

Franklin Richards has been this for quite some time.

Yup. He and SW. Don't know how powerful this one really is.

Avatar image for surfingthehighway
SurfingtheHighway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't read this issue yet, but damn do I love that cover

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_titan_lord: I believe she was listed under Omega as well in most sources, iirc.

Cave_Duck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did Charles' will mention anything about him donating his brain to science? If so AXIS could be a massive crossover event centred on a legal case for rightful custody of Xaviers' brain! Each tie-in issue will be that particular character on the witness stand.

Thrilling courtroom drama here we come!!!

Eeshaan1685

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

munkieKONG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If anyone is to blame for Xavier's death it is the Avengers and specifically Iron Man. The goal of the X-men at the start was to have the Phoenix bond with Hope. Iron Man blasts the Phoenix, forcing it into the X-men. The Avengers then suddenly decide that Hope should have the Phoenix as it it were their idea originally. I used to be a huge fan of Iceman, but his ill placed anger at Cyclops has really made him come off like a tool. Where are the X-men that defended Jean Grey after she was possessed by the Phoenix? Marvel has a lot of weird double standards when it comes to how characters react to each other.

All of this - Also, when was the last time current timeline Iceman was in not ice form....?

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah but to be fair Morrison did destroy Magneto to the point that they had to retcon it into being someone else. Having a proud mutant who was also a Holocaust survivor become a crazed drug addict was pretty crappy. I will agree with you on Whedon though, the X-men were pretty good during his run.

Good point.

The Avengers and Marvel heroes in general hate the Punisher because he kills. Yet they work with Wolverine, Deadpool, and Elektra; the latter two of which will kill for money or sport.

Both good points. The X-Men haven't felt like a family in years; they fell into the "too many members" trap. With friends like those...

And, yeah, the blatant hypocrisy in the Marvel U. can get annoying.

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheBlackHood

@theblackhood said:

Good point.

@theblackhood said:

Both good points. The X-Men haven't felt like a family in years; they fell into the "too many members" trap. With friends like those...

And, yeah, the blatant hypocrisy in the Marvel U. can get annoying.

I think I can even pinpoint the moment that the X-men stopped really being a "family". The first indication I noticed was when Nightcrawler was killed by Bastion. Beast and I believe Storm blamed Cyclops because he instructed Kurt to risk his life to save Hope. How uncharacteristic is it for a hero to blame a team leader for having someone protect a child with their life? Isn't that what heroes are made to do? I have no problems with there being factions within a large team. However, having the factions come into existence over nonsense reasons really undermines the larger story. With that said, I do sort of like the Schism fallout, though I would have been more convinced if it were Cyclops using the kids vs Beast trying to blow up the island and protect the kids. I really don't buy Wolverine as being against child sidekicks and putting children in danger as he has had multiple in the form of Kitty Pryde and later Jubilee.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The pacing is horrible

UltronMk7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slow moving book, no doubt, but I like where it's going. Charle's death should pull characters in different directions, it's an emotionally catastrophic event (losing a father). I like seeing how it's affecting Bobby. I like seeing Cyke sufferring trying to live with it. This is the kind of thing that tears families apart. Let's see that. At 1st I didn't know how much I liked the whole Matt angle, but seeing more of what he can do, and Shield's reaction, this could get very interesting. As Maria hill says, how do you deal with a mutant that powerful? How will human Heroes and government act?

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#36  Edited By Teerack

@hawk2916 said:

The pacing is horrible

Slow moving book, no doubt, but I like where it's going. Charle's death should pull characters in different directions, it's an emotionally catastrophic event (losing a father). I like seeing how it's affecting Bobby. I like seeing Cyke sufferring trying to live with it. This is the kind of thing that tears families apart. Let's see that. At 1st I didn't know how much I liked the whole Matt angle, but seeing more of what he can do, and Shield's reaction, this could get very interesting. As Maria hill says, how do you deal with a mutant that powerful? How will human Heroes and government act?

From Bendis' blog lol.

No Caption Provided

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: Oooooooh! Somebody is butt hurt, aren't they. Lol. If he spent more time actually deeloping plot lines and telling good stories as opposed to playing around on tumblr maybe his stories would be worth something. I would think most fans who are spending 4 dollars a pop would want something to happen in the books they read. But I understand its no use talking to Bendis lovers. They usually can't see or understand how ther could possibly be any criticism of the guy

cresShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

@hawk2916 said:

The pacing is horrible

@ultronmk7 said:

From Bendis' blog lol.

No Caption Provided

better question is why cant this book come out sooner. I hate the long wait in between issues

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Teerack
@cresshadow said:

@teerack said:

@hawk2916 said:

The pacing is horrible

@ultronmk7 said:

From Bendis' blog lol.

No Caption Provided

better question is why cant this book come out sooner. I hate the long wait in between issues

Every issue of batman is over 30 pages and close to 40 if you count the bonus story at the end. I don't get why they can't let Uncanny X-Men and All-New be like that. They are selling enough for sure.

@hawk2916 said:

@teerack: Oooooooh! Somebody is butt hurt, aren't they. Lol. If he spent more time actually deeloping plot lines and telling good stories as opposed to playing around on tumblr maybe his stories would be worth something. I would think most fans who are spending 4 dollars a pop would want something to happen in the books they read. But I understand its no use talking to Bendis lovers. They usually can't see or understand how ther could possibly be any criticism of the guy

I mean come on that's a little silly to say he's spending too much time on tumblr. He is drawing two books and writing three he has a huge work load. If your issue is with the pacing the problem you're having is there is too much conversation and development for you isn't it?

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: Its not just me. So I'll stick with what I said about pacing as well as Bendis' defenders. Obviously you seem to be a superfan so Im sure in your mind he can do no wrong.

If the pacing is going to be slow then releasing them more often would be good. But like I said, you pay 4 dollars for an issues and you get about 12 pages worth of story.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawk2916: I didn't say the pacing was good. I was saying that the reason the pacing is slow is because he over develops things too much. You were saying he doesn't spend time developing a good story and I'm saying the issue is he spends too much time trying to develop it.

The fact you're trying to change what I said into "i think Bendis can do no wrong" actually speaks a ton for the kind of fan boy mentality you have.

HAWK2916

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack: Either way we dont get good stories from him. But if I misunderstood you I apologize, I thought you were defending especially by posting his little bullshit answer here. Its funny you are trying to tell me what I think and what kind of mentality I have. That seems to happen quite a bit on these boards whenever someone like me says something against Bendis. But again if you're not a dillusionall fanboy then fine, my mistake