undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

When Uncanny Avengers’ last arc ended with the absolute destruction of Earth, I had absolutely no idea where this series was going. Here we are, entire issues later, and it’s been consistently and amazingly entertaining and, though it looks like we’re on the cusp of the status quo returning, I’m actually incredibly excited to see how it all shakes out. From time travelling Avengers, Kang the Conqueror actually being helpful, morally troubled X-Men (or X-Council as they’re now known), Rick Remender has done a LOT in a shockingly small amount of time. Remender, in general, does a great job of giving us heroic heroes and villains who are villainous only the loosest sense of the word as they have tremendously good motivations, particularly Magneto who seemingly has everything he’s ever wanted, even if the methods were extreme even by his standards. There are twists and turns here that are well earned, but this is a very combat-heavy issue and the combat is HIGHLY entertaining, seeing a lot of characters face off who haven’t had the opportunity to do so. I’ll admit, I’m a sucker for battle issues and this one does not disappoint.

Daniel Acuña handles art from pencils to inks to colors and that makes it all the more impressive that the art is so consistently incredible. I’ve mentioned in previous reviews of this very title that Acuña style is especially well suited to this title’s tone of science fiction and high fantasy and that continues to be the case in this issue where we get bright, shining visuals contrasted with dark, twisted action, but all the time the visual style is unique and singular, always serving the tone. The tone, by the way, is pitch black, even in the hopeful moments. This is still a grim, dark book with a lot of disturbing moments, particularly from Wolverine and Sunfire. This is a future I wouldn’t mind seeing more of.

The Bad

Some of the motivations in this issue seem forced to ensure the plot moves forward. I won’t spoil any major plot points, but some characters turn on a dime in ways that don’t feel entirely earned, and it’s not even the first one in the issue. We’re talking about some beliefs that were firmly entrenched simply being uprooted for no reason beyond “Well, I hadn’t thought of it LIKE THAT,” or at least that’s how it comes across.

The Verdict

I love that we’ve spent awhile in this timeline, and I actually wouldn’t have minded spending even MORE time in it if we’d been given the chance. Perhaps we will at some later time, but for now it seems like we’ll be leaving and it’s a testament to the strength of the storytelling that I can’t wait for that either.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

This timeline was a blast. I was shocked to see this was only issue #20. Corey is right when he said a lot has happened in a small amount of time.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

One of my favorite books

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uncanny Avengers is, without a doubt, my favorite ongoing right now. Remender's been weaving such an interesting story and Acuña has quickly become one of my favorite artists. Here's hoping they stay on the book for a nice, long time.

CrashBang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm so annoyed at myself for not reading this series! I've not been getting it from the start and it's too late to pick it up now, so all I do is read gushing review after gushing review, kicking myself! I'll just have to get the trades and stop complaining!

Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 4

Uncanny Avengers started out so badly, but from around the middle of the Apocalypse Twins arc the quality improved a ton, and it's kept up that quality ever since. It's one of my favourite books each month.

Avatar image for sleepbutnodream15
Sleepbutnodream15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

I love the fact that this series could essentially just be called "Marvel". Everything that happens in this book effects most corners of the universe. Likewise, Remender's allowed to use all the toys he wants in this book, and he's taken advantage of that fact.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Uncanny Avengers started out so badly, but from around the middle of the Apocalypse Twins arc the quality improved a ton, and it's kept up that quality ever since. It's one of my favourite books each month.

lol I was about to comment and say does anyone else remember when this book sucked and now it's one of Marvel's best series

lesson learned.

always have faith in Remender

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm so annoyed at myself for not reading this series! I've not been getting it from the start and it's too late to pick it up now, so all I do is read gushing review after gushing review, kicking myself! I'll just have to get the trades and stop complaining!

There's still time to catch up!

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmmm I still see this in comic stores here, maybe I should pick this up. I was just very confused since I bought the 1st Annual issue and could not place where exactly this timeline is. I was thinking this maybe set in a different alternate universe but someone did tell me that this book is set in Earth-616. Given that case, what I don't seem to get now is how Wolverine still seemingly has his healing factor, Wanda and Rogue are alive again, and other stuff.

Is there a link anyone can recommend for me to read on in order to catch up?

Avatar image for New_World_Order
New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So was the Sentry taken down by the space worm or is he still going to be around? He did say he would need Thor's help.

Avatar image for avengers_4everxx
Avengers_4everXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vandersexxx: Don't try to fit the annual into continuity. Just read it as a stand alone story about the team. The series is set in the 616 universe but everything that has happened since issue seventeen has happened in an alternate timeline

Avatar image for avengers_4everxx
Avengers_4everXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A little surprised at how short this arc is considering how long the last one was. Although if you consider this as just a continuation of the last one this series has just been one long arc since issue five. I wonder if Remender is going to pick up the Red Skull/Onslaught plot threads once this is all wrapped up

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I already like Remender's Cyclops 10 times more than Bendis's.

Avatar image for batmanonthemoon
BatmanOnTheMoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@avengers_4everxx: I believe that's where the new Marvel Event AXIS is going to come in. The Red Skull assembles his own Axis of Evil... Remender is writing it, and I'll be there!

Remender is KILLING it on this book. He never seems to let me down. This is easily my favorite on-going series right next to Batman. If you're not reading Uncanny Avengers, then you're missing out.

tximinoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By tximinoman

I just can't belive how good this series is.

The first arc sucked but after that it has just gotten better and better. Rick Remender is the best, hands down.

Also, that fight between Cyclops, Psylocke, Storm and Cable against Magneto, Pyro, Mole and that female Avalanche was awesome. Classic X-Men against classic Brotherhood of evil mutants, I've missed those a lot.

Avatar image for supremehyperion
SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

#17  Edited By SupremeHyperion

I have been real happy with this book and this last story arch has been impressive to say the least.

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Guys I'm confused. Who are the heroes here still from the original 616 universe and not from this alternate timeline?