inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

So ULTIMATE END is less about the 1610 Universe ending and a giant battle and more about figuring out a way to save everything and everyone. We have players from both universes, including two Tony Starks, one of which is drunk and acting very superior. They're trying to figure out how all of this started and it all might go back to Tony Stark.

What Brian Michael Bendis did exceptionally great job with writing Peter Parker. Spider-Man's scenes in this issue were stand-out and incredibly memorable. There's a moment where he freaks out about everyone in the 1610 knowing that he's Peter Parker. He's pretty funny and reminds readers of the differences between the 616 and the 1610. It's like a quick game a catch-up while adding a little bit of fun.

That's what makes the issue pretty great. It's very new reader friendly, even to people who have never read an Ultimate book before. Bendis delivers a lot of different characters, with different personalities, in a short period of time but it's never overwhelming and there's a great sense of flow and solid pacing to the issue.

It's great to see Mark Bagley and Bendis working together again, even though Bagley worked with Bendis last year on CATACLYSM. Working with him is inker Scott Hanna and colorist Justin Ponsor. Hanna has some great, consistent work here that really makes Bagley's work pop out as well as giving the book a ton of depth. As always, Justin Ponsor's color-work defines the look and feel of so many Ultimate characters because of his work on ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN. He's easily one of the best colorist at Marvel.

The Bad

The issue starts out with heroes from 1610 and the 616 about to fight each other and that's a pretty amazing start to the book, but the rest of the issue just becomes people talking in a room. What happened with that battle? That's what fans want to see, since SECRET WARS #0 and SECRET WARS #1 built up to that. Sure, there's a bit of it in SW #1, but the hope for this issue was some more fights.

The Verdict

ULTIMATE END wasn't what I was expecting, but nevertheless, it was a really fun issue that does tie into what's going on in SECRET WARS. If you're a fan of the Ultimate Universe, this is really something you need to check out. Even if you've never read an Ultimate book before, this book is very new reader friendly. Check this issue out for sure.

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@inferiorego Does Ultimate Captain America make an appearance?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#2 inferiorego  Staff

@slimj87d said:

He's on the 2 page spread in the opening but that's it.

Also, isn't he still dead?

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

My love/hate of Bendis continues. Let's see how it ends after I read this issue.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was good imo

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Will be picking this up

werst9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego: he was last seen appearing to jump out of a plane he rammed into galactus's face. There was a funeral for him and thor but I never thought they were actually dead

BeholdtheVison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By BeholdtheVison

Kind of confused on how much these heroes remember.

speedking79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

and thats the main problem with the whole secret wars, everything is new reader friendly. so most of the issue is nothing new for readers like me who have been reading since the beginning. Secret Wars 0 was worthless for me!! most of the things i already know, everything gets repeated again and again. bla bla bla. for me the whole event is bull+++

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By meatwadf

@inferiorego: Does this take place on Battleworld? If so, I can see God-Doom resurrecting whoever he feels like.

TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

When you said "...but the rest of the issue just becomes people talking in a room." I immediately knew the book was written by Bendis. He has become such a hack and I think it has to do with him writing twelve books a month. He spent like forty issues on Uncanny X-men (a team I love) and I can only recall two storylines in that entire time and neither one of them were particularly good.

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So, basically these are the folks from 616 and 1610?

slimj87d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slimj87d said:

That's why I was asking. He is supposed to be dead, or at least he disappeared. They never found his body.

So did he just reappear out of fat air or something? Hopefully someone can explain here.

Tony_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My main problem with this book is the continuity of it:

-Why are these older versions of 1610 characters? 1610 Stark is shown with his first armor?

-If these are older versions, why are there some new characters too like New Ultimates?

- Are these the 616 characters that died in the incursion or older version? That is not Superior Iron Man, but Bleeding Edge Iron Man? What happened?

- If these are eariler versions, then why is Doc Green among them? Did Doom hand pick everyone in particular?Because we have part of the Uncanny X Men there too. Recent. Including Cyclops who is supposed to have the Phoenix Force.

- Also, why bother with the story about the portal? Isn'this Manhattan supposed to be a Battleworld country that Doom created from 1610 and 616? Wouldn't they be aware of that? They acknowledge that Doom is there, so why the surprise about them finding their counterparts? This book should more about them already knowing of each other and trying to make it work.

- Didn't Spider-Man already travel to 1610 and knows that everyone there knows he's Spider-Man? Why address it like its surprising? Didn't 1610 Tony already know about the existence of the 616? What the hell happened to that?

I do not blame Secret Wars. The rest of the Battleworld books are great. Bendis is just so unconsistent and makes readers confused as a form of suspense. It, however, comes across as lazy and stupid.

lmothander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lmothander

@slimj87d: He was pictured in a big spread that did not affect the story. Almost as a homage to both universes.

nappystr8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By nappystr8

I definitely wouldn't call this new reader friendly. I have followed Ultimate Spider-Man consistently, have kept up more or less with other developments in Ultimate titles, Read Secret Wars 0-2, every issue of Hickman's New Avengers, and select issues of his Avengers. I have no idea what is going on in this book. It's heavy on continuity, like last character interactions, and its connection to the fight during Secret Wars #1 seems nonexistent. That said, Bendis is as usual great at dialogue, and I'm hoping it will answer some more questions as the series continues.

Snipergallo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mark Bagley and Scott Hanna, one of my favorite team in Spidey related books

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mark Bagley and Scott Hanna, one of my favorite team in Spidey related books

Spidey looked great in this

DaymarePrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By DaymarePrime

For me it would be way more interesting to have the alternate Peter be the Ultimate Spider-Man in the New MU than Miles. It could really give an "All New" vibe to however many titles they decide to put Miles in as they slowly turn away from using Parker ( or any of the legacy characters).

Showing an alternate version of yourself the ropes and going through the mistakes made would make for some great stories.

Koays

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I definitely wouldn't call this new reader friendly. I have followed Ultimate Spider-Man consistently, have kept up more or less with other developments in Ultimate titles, Read Secret Wars 0-2, every issue of Hickman's New Avengers, and select issues of his Avengers. I have no idea what is going on in this book. It's heavy on continuity, like last character interactions, and its connection to the fight during Secret Wars #1 seems nonexistent. That said, Bendis is as usual great at dialogue, and I'm hoping it will answer some more questions as the series continues.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. There's so many question to be asked just by the characters being present in this room together and yet so much time is taken up with senseless (though humorous) exchanges.

I'm not expecting everything to be explained in one issue, but if even people who have followed everything leading up to this have no clue where this is supposed to fit, it's a problem. And the thing is Bendis just wrapped up a run on X-Men by having to rush through answering all the unanswered questions that were set up over the course of 30 plus issues...so i'm not coming into this with alot of faith on the explanation.

LordRyus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By LordRyus

My question is why are lift raft survivors here? 616 Spider-Man and Cyclops should have been beyond Dooms reach. So these two are likely reconstructions of somekind. It would explain this Spider-Man having a way worse reaction to the Ultimates and Ultimate Jessica Drew than MU Peter had in his previous crossover, this being not the real MU Spider-Man but a fill in from Dooms mind (though that begs the question are they all or just these characters).

I get doom is a god now and can bring back any dead characters. I get he could pick part of their timeline and make them that version. I'll run with it though I would have prefered all modern takes to more clearly define the differences.

This portal plotline is weird though. Seems 1610 Cho (with 1610 Tony) summoned 616 Tony (or is this yet another Tony hanging with what looks like 616 characters) from another universe even though he's actually from the next Manhattan domain across the river. Thus Doom in interested in keeping this quite since it's a schism, since it should have summoned someone actually in another universe and not some across a river. However this is so convolutedly explained it took me a bit to figure it out even though I'm upto date on Hickman's runs, 1610 stories, and Secret Wars.

silberrj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After the rushed Miles Morales conclusion and this hot mess of an issue...so sad that the Ultimate imprint that I've been reading for 15 years looks to be coming to such a disappointing end. I know things have to end some time but this feels less like a final last hurrah for the ultimate characters and more some confusing mess...1 star. So sad...

ShadowLife248

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought this is under Last Days title? meaning right before 616 and 1610 collided and boom? If not, it should be a normal battleworld title showing all the survivors in pieces of 1610...but the Triskeliem is still standing after Doc Green and etc destroyed them ! Halfway they're talking, they keep worrying about Doom meaning they are already in battleworld so why call it last day?!

Btw I was confuse at 1st but Bleeding Edge Iron-Man isn't 616 Tony. He is from another dimension when 1610 Tony and Cho ( I think) couldn't stop the portal from closing itself. The portal being from the short series Spider-Men.

CometOmlette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One problem I had were the two Starks. I couldn't identify which was which until the end. I thought 616 was still Superior. I thought it was pretty weird that the two groups of heroes already met each other. Spider-Man's part was funny. WHERE WAS MILES!?!? I thought it was a good read,though.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This doesn't make any sense. I would have loved if this wasn't included it just seems so out of place with main title.

CometOmlette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By CometOmlette
@slimj87d said:
@inferiorego said:
@slimj87d said:

That's why I was asking. He is supposed to be dead, or at least he disappeared. They never found his body.

So did he just reappear out of fat air or something? Hopefully someone can explain here.

It hasn't been explained yet. He only showed up on the a splash page of a future battle. The rest of the comic takes place 3 weeks before that. Eventually those two earths are going to duke it out; and Ultimate Cap will appear and probably get an explanation.

Blinkshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And i was actually looking forward to this book, but now having read it i feel like its Bendis continuity overload. Its like every sub plot point that he has been slowly building in All-new X-men, Ultimate Spider-man and a dash of Uncanny X-men and Guardians is popping up in someway or another. To fully grasp some of the subtext you kinda have to realize that there is all this stuff peppered through out his other material. Not really new reader friendly. I'm also confused on when this damned thing takes place, because some aspects screw with Secret Wars #1. Plus isn't Phoenix-Cyclops on the life raft with Mr. Fantastic and Black Panther? Also if this story takes place in the build up to the incursion why do the New Ultimates and some of the cast act in Battleworld character modes already? Can someone clear this up, or in typical Bendis fashion am I gonna have to keep reading lol.

Rubear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blinkshot: @lordryus: @tony_shark: i have a feeling that this most likely is because of broken timestream part. That during collapse of multiverse, during final incursion previous versions of characters from 616 and 1610 get sucked into forming Batlleworld by Doom. Side effect of this process is memory loss and false memories about how they get gere. They remember some experiment with dimensional tear, others remember something like they were always been here. And today versions are still in Reed's life raft, i suppose.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I was kind of lost, so 616 and 1610 new york like merged and are now a section on battle world?

Kokemabb200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

-Why are these older versions of 1610 characters? 1610 Stark is shown with his first armor?

-If these are older versions, why are there some new characters too like New Ultimates?

- Are these the 616 characters that died in the incursion or older version? That is not Superior Iron Man, but Bleeding Edge Iron Man? What happened?

- If these are eariler versions, then why is Doc Green among them? Did Doom hand pick everyone in particular?Because we have part of the Uncanny X Men there too. Recent. Including Cyclops who is supposed to have the Phoenix Force.

- Also, why bother with the story about the portal? Isn'this Manhattan supposed to be a Battleworld country that Doom created from 1610 and 616? Wouldn't they be aware of that? They acknowledge that Doom is there, so why the surprise about them finding their counterparts? This book should more about them already knowing of each other and trying to make it work.

- Didn't Spider-Man already travel to 1610 and knows that everyone there knows he's Spider-Man? Why address it like its surprising? Didn't 1610 Tony already know about the existence of the 616? What the hell happened to that?

I do not blame Secret Wars. The rest of the Battleworld books are great. Bendis is just so inconsistent and makes readers confused as a form of suspense. It, however, comes across as lazy and stupid.

Completely how I feel.

Burnout1212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the ultimate universe screwed it's self when they started murdering characters left and right, I loved the take on it, but half the time they had character that reminded me of 616.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, so I'm kinda confused. It seems like none of these people have any knowledge of the Incursions. And if, and I'm getting purely hypothetical here, they were all resurrected when Doom created Battleworld and given a new history (the One More Day strategy, basically), why Don't Spider-Man and Cyclops, who both escaped on the Life Raft, know about them?

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tony_shark said:

I do not blame Secret Wars. The rest of the Battleworld books are great. Bendis is just so inconsistent and makes readers confused as a form of suspense. It, however, comes across as lazy and stupid.

Completely how I feel.

Summed it up. it's like he forgot literally everything from past stories lol...

werst9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm hoping the whole is greater than the parts in Ultimate End. Maybe everything we think bendis screwed up will be explained. Maybe this takes place after secret wars 3 or whenever the 616 raft is revealed. Maybe thats neither 616 or 1610 spidey. Spidey already knew that the 1610 knew his secret identity because of spider men so he shouldn't be surprised. I'm buying the entire mini anyway so im gonna hope.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was expecting a story about people in Ultimate universe dealing with the end. Like the last days of Ultimate Universe.
So kinda disappointed

Avatar image for galactushungers
GALACTUSHUNGERS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By GALACTUSHUNGERS

Sign this petition to remove Bendis from Guardians post Secret Wars!

darthfury78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the ultimate universe screwed it's self when they started murdering characters left and right, I loved the take on it, but half the time they had character that reminded me of 616.

I do agree that Marvel ruined UU when they allowed the writers to kill everyone off, leaving it a shell of its former self. It was initially geared at teens. I think that UU should have ended long before the madness had started. And to kill off UU Peter Parker for Miles Morales was a huge mistake as Marvel could have gotten another writer to work on UU Peter while Bendis focus on Miles.

_Linea_11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This issue reminds me of better Ultimate Universe's times because is pure crap.

lmothander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This made more sense when I read it the second time right up until the end.

blazingwhale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

im pretty sure ultimate tony stark left with the 616 heroes and hawkeye both left and stayed, you see him in the quinnjet and standing on the roof, no idea what is going on... Also I dont get why this is the only comic they remember pre secret wars, no explanation at all, It just seems good ol Bendis is writing whatever he wants, soon this guy retires the better

donmeca2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually thought this wasn't too bad... it entertained me, while it was a tad different seeing 2 tony starks and so fourth you were able to get the point. Im looking forward to the next issue.

Jacob_Cora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't wait to read Doom's explanation of Battleworld. Until then, I'm afraid I'm going to be very confused with these stories XD

KittyPryde1978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the biggest mistake/assumption people are making is that Doom CREATED this world. Yes, he is god of it, but that doesn't mean he individually decided that this person or that person or this/that version of the character was going to exist. Think about it, if it was up to him would he have created the Manhattan version of Battleworld? We know that it is a crime to leave your particular region of Battleworld (unless you are a baron being called directly to Doom's castle). Why is that? Probably because Doom doesn't want anyone to know that there are other versions of themselves out there. This Manhattan Battleworld is an anomaly, one that Doom seems to be "afraid" of.

NixNightbird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One problem I had were the two Starks. I couldn't identify which was which until the end. I thought 616 was still Superior. I thought it was pretty weird that the two groups of heroes already met each other. Spider-Man's part was funny. WHERE WAS MILES!?!? I thought it was a good read,though.

It's actually really easy to tell them apart. Look at the lettering.

616 characters are LETTERED LIKE THIS.

1610 characters are lettered like this.

616 is all-caps lettering. 1610 is lower-case with caps.

As for the whole "who is this Spider-Man?" question, I have to say I believe that ALL these characters are recreations of the 616 and 1610 characters, not the originals. The only originals are Doom, Sheriff Strange, the Cabal, Miles Morales, and the other 616 survivors on the raft (which includes Phoenix Cyclops and Peter Parker).

CometOmlette

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nixnightbird: Yeah, I figured that out now. I also figured Miles would be on Secret Wars since Bendis said he was a main player. :)