Interview: Greg Pak Discusses TUROK: DINOSAUR HUNTER with Mike Carroll

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

It's been years since fans have seen Turok: The Dinosaur Hunter in a comic book. However, starting February 5th, fans can run down to their local comic book shop and pick up TUROK: DINOSAUR HUNTER, published by Dynamite, written by Greg Pak and drawn by Mirko Colak, featuring a cover by Bart Sears. Mike Carroll sat down with Greg Pak and asked him a few questions about the upcoming series.

No Caption Provided

MIKE CARROLL: Your interpretation of Turok seems to be lot closer to the original Western Publishing version, with the eponymous hero living in the thirteenth century, rather than the eighteenth as in the version published by Valiant. The events of those five centuries made a huge difference to the land we now call America… Was the decision to stick with the original Turok a matter of creative taste, or was it a rights issue?

GREG PAK: Editor Nate Cosby gave me the green light to do whatever felt right. And when you get to the end of the first issue, you'll get a good idea why we went with the 13th century. Without delving into spoiler territory, I'll just say that the time frame opens up the world in some spectacular ways that will allow for some mind-bending conflicts and stories as the series progresses.

No Caption Provided

MC: Do you have any plans to incorporate any elements from the Valiant version, the later versions by Acclaim and Dark Horse, or the video games? I ask because I know that a lot of people’s first encounter with Turok will have been the video games, so they might be expecting aliens and demons (and high-score tables)!

GP: Anything's possible as we move along. But in the near term, we've got plenty of stories to explore in the big world we're starting to reveal at the end of issue #1.

No Caption Provided

MC: Without giving away any major spoilers, can you give us a few hints about what we can expect in the upcoming issues?

GP: Turok is a young man living in exile from his tribe, taunted by Andar, the chief's son, and his band of bullies. But then the dinosaurs come -- along with an even more dangerous enemy just around the corner. There's actually a big hint on one of the covers to issue #1 that I don't think anyone's picked up on just yet, so I ain't saying anything. Ooops. Did I just say that?

No Caption Provided

MC: This is an odd question, I know, but my inner child demands that I ask: What’s your all-time favorite dinosaur, and will we get to see it battle Turok in an upcoming issue? (In the unlikely event that you’re stuck for ideas, my own favorite is the Triceratops. I know they were herbivores, so maybe Turok could adopt one as a pet. Or as a means of transportation…)

GP: Archeopteryx! And yes!

Triceratops was always a favorite of mine, too. Although my runner up is Stegasaurus. I was rooting for him in FANTASIA. ;-)

No Caption Provided

MC: I’m certain that new readers are going to love your interpretation of Turok, but how do you think the legions of existing Turok fans will react? After all, Turok has been around in one form or another since the early 1950s, so by my reckoning some of your readers could well be the grandchildren ofkids who read the original comics hot off the presses…

GP: The character's gone through multiple reimaginings over the years, so I'm pretty hopeful that fans are open to new takes. The central concept that drives the action remains the same -- you will indeed see a Native American fighting dinosaurs. I'm hopeful that what we're adding will make the character even more compelling and three dimensional and open up a big world in which to tell a ton of crazy new stories.

Thanks to Greg Pak and Mike Carroll for the interview and make sure to check out TUROK: DINOSAUR HUNTER, available at your LCS today! And check out the rest of this preview below!

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

lionsborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By lionsborn

I'm really exited about this, love Turok since the N64 days.

With Greg pak, I'm sure it will be a good read.

Avatar image for oy_the_billy_bumbler
Oy_the_Billy_Bumbler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'll be buying this! I was obsessed with dinosaurs as a kid, and I think I'm about to be again as a grown man. lol.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

That is totally a knight on the cover

JairamGanpat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

That is totally a knight on the cover

word

I really like the coloring in this book. It reminds me of Yanick's Swamp Thing and even Pretty Deadly.

CitizenJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm really exited about this, love Turok since the N64 days.

With Greg pak, I'm sure it will be a good read.

Duuuuude yes Turok back in the daaaay was the best! The art looks great in this too.

Onemoreposter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This looks awesome. I can't think of anyone I'd rather have writing a Turok book than Pak.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AllStarSuperman

awesome

Oy_the_Billy_Bumbler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just finished reading it. It's worth taking a look into. I wasn't thrilled about the issue until the end "reveal". I really like the direction they took it in, and am really interested to see how this plays out. Also, the artwork is great, and the little bit of dinosaur action in this issue was pretty fun. It wasn't anything over the top yet with dinos, but it was a nice tease for what's hopefully to come in abundance later on.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Can't wait to read this.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: Yea I thought it was cool but I'm still not sure about the ending (even tho I knew it was coming)

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@jonny_anonymous: yeah it was fairly obvious, but still I am excited to see what happens next

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oy_the_Billy_Bumbler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lionsborn: @nightfang: @jonny_anonymous: @oy_the_billy_bumbler: What did you guys think? I liked it a lot. Started out slow, but I am definitely hooked for the next issue.

Pretty much word for word what you said.. I actually like the direction they are taking it in. I loved the part where he already had traps set up, but was able to adapt and use them to take out the dinos. I hope we see more of this kind of action. Almost like a Rambo or Predator kind of thing.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman said:

@lionsborn: @nightfang: @jonny_anonymous: @oy_the_billy_bumbler: What did you guys think? I liked it a lot. Started out slow, but I am definitely hooked for the next issue.

Pretty much word for word what you said.. I actually like the direction they are taking it in. I loved the part where he already had traps set up, but was able to adapt and use them to take out the dinos. I hope we see more of this kind of action. Almost like a Rambo or Predator kind of thing.

agreed, I dont think he will be able to take on "that" many dinos in a straight up fight

Oy_the_Billy_Bumbler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: Ya, it would be cool to see him using prep, traps, and knowledge of the land to take them on. I'm ready now for an issue loaded with dinosaurs!