Nice to see a thread like this.

Avatar image for guardian_of_gravity
Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

With the exception of Kiss players and the various Japan only series I haven't watched, I've found that every incarnation, interpretation, adaptation and line of transformers has it's own merits and can be liked for various reasons.

I for example, actually like the Bay trilogy because I went in not expecting anything particularly cerebral. And I came out satisfied having watched a memorably big and spectacular film. I also acknowledge that the sheer cost of animating the transformers with such detail has so far made finding times and places to put them in a difficult one.

After all, you have to think about where your budget is going and Bay is one of those directors who insists on only using practical effects unless CGI is absolutely necessary (Nolan has the same view towards special effects), and the complexity of each of the Transformers (Ironhide has more moving CGI parts in his guns than General Grievous had in his entire body in Episode 3) means that every second they're on screen is literally eating up thousands of dollars.

Overall, the Aligned continuity, consisting of Prime and War/Fall of Cybertron, is my favorite adaptation, although I admit I need to catch up on Prime due to falling really far behind.

Given Hasbro's new vision of a single transformers continuity for all the new products, I'm quite eager to see if they can get IDW to make a set of on-goings for the aligned continuity, since their Generation 1 ongoing is in my mind, a prime example of an excellent title for a third party publisher.

vascillator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The biggest problem i have with Bays's movies is that they depict the Decepticons as completely weak and retarded. In my eyes they always had the superior firepower and the Autobots had to play smart to beat them, thats what the thrill is all about. I dont wanna see an all mighty Optimus plowing through main Decepticon baddies like they are trash, even Bumblebee easily owning Soundwave in a 1vs1...gimme a break.

And yes War and Fall of Cybertron totally rocked (both gameplay and story wise) i cant wait for them to make another game.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

@vascillator said:

The biggest problem i have with Bays's movies is that they depict the Decepticons as completely weak and retarded. In my eyes they always had the superior firepower and the Autobots had to play smart to beat them, thats what the thrill is all about. I dont wanna see an all mighty Optimus plowing through main Decepticon baddies like they are trash, even Bumblebee easily owning Soundwave in a 1vs1...gimme a break.

And yes War and Fall of Cybertron totally rocked (both gameplay and story wise) i cant wait for them to make another game.

He's been doing that since G1 =P

Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vascillator: Ermm..

The Decepticons have never really been a match for Optimus.

Megatron has never been a match for Optimus when Optimus gets serious.

Loading Video...

Every Decepticon hit by Optimus in that rampage never shows up again.

Compare to

Loading Video...

Optimus is a PRIME.

His lineage goes back to PRIMUS.

The GOD of Transformers.

He is supposed to be like a god to them.

Megatron and Shockwave and the like enhance their chassis to hell and back and Optimus will still beat the scrap out of them because he is a scion of Primus, the bearer of the Matrix, and they're ultimately just enhanced regular Cybertronians.

To put it simply, Optimus is to transformers kind as Thor is to the rest of the Asgardians. He is innately superior due to his lineage. Some may come close, but short of the big man himself, he can beat any of them when he decides to get serious.

Prime's more than just a title you know.

As for Bumblebee and Soundwave.

Soundwave is an intelligence officer, a communications jockey. Bumblebee is a scout, first in first out. Soundwave has never been much of a fighter, which is why he relies so heavily on his minions. Bumblebee has always been a scrapper.

vascillator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well probably one of the reasons why I never liked Optimus much, although hes not all that powerful in every depiction. Rodimus Prime was not all that powerful either.

I actually had to read up about the title "Prime" now and it doesnt really look clear that its more than just a title (Ofc also varies from continuity).

As far as i know Soundwave was not just an intelligence officer but also 2nd best Gladiator (after Megatron) back in the old Cybertron Arena days. Not sure if thats the case in all Transformer Universes though (there are clearly way too many).

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

I think this is kind of neat.

http://tformers.com/transformers-nasa-wants-to-put-transformers/21108/news.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

With the exception of Kiss players and the various Japan only series I haven't watched, I've found that every incarnation, interpretation, adaptation and line of transformers has it's own merits and can be liked for various reasons.

I for example, actually like the Bay trilogy because I went in not expecting anything particularly cerebral. And I came out satisfied having watched a memorably big and spectacular film. I also acknowledge that the sheer cost of animating the transformers with such detail has so far made finding times and places to put them in a difficult one.

After all, you have to think about where your budget is going and Bay is one of those directors who insists on only using practical effects unless CGI is absolutely necessary (Nolan has the same view towards special effects), and the complexity of each of the Transformers (Ironhide has more moving CGI parts in his guns than General Grievous had in his entire body in Episode 3) means that every second they're on screen is literally eating up thousands of dollars.

Overall, the Aligned continuity, consisting of Prime and War/Fall of Cybertron, is my favorite adaptation, although I admit I need to catch up on Prime due to falling really far behind.

Given Hasbro's new vision of a single transformers continuity for all the new products, I'm quite eager to see if they can get IDW to make a set of on-goings for the aligned continuity, since their Generation 1 ongoing is in my mind, a prime example of an excellent title for a third party publisher.

I pretty much agree. Most of my least favorite series are pretty much the Japanese ones and Kiss Players. I also did enjoy the Bay movies, though I can see why many did not.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Manchine

I like all things Transformers except the anime stuff. When I was a kid I collected all the transformers stuff but when I was a teen I gave it to a neighbor kid, his sister died. It made him happy that he got a whole duffelbag worth of transformers. All generation 1 stuff I had pretty much everything and stopped collecting them when the predicons came out.

Who is your favorite G1 Autobot and Decepticon?

Guardian_of_Gravity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well probably one of the reasons why I never liked Optimus much, although hes not all that powerful in every depiction. Rodimus Prime was not all that powerful either.

I actually had to read up about the title "Prime" now and it doesnt really look clear that its more than just a title (Ofc also varies from continuity).

As far as i know Soundwave was not just an intelligence officer but also 2nd best Gladiator (after Megatron) back in the old Cybertron Arena days. Not sure if thats the case in all Transformer Universes though (there are clearly way too many).

Erm, Shockwave has always been the number two best fighter in the Decepticons, not Soundwave.

Soundwave out of the big four is the worst fighter after Starscream.

Shockwave on the other hand is on par if not superior to Megatron, he just lacks his charisma.

vascillator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guardian_of_gravity: I agree with Shockwave being a total beast but i was specifically talking about the arena in which Megatron and Soundwave used to fight as gladiators back in the days. I just dont know in how many continuities this one counts.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

so I've been reading IDW's stuff since the beginning but since RiD and MtMtE started I've gotten super confused...like I can't seem to remember what happens from one issue to the next...is anyone else having that problem?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Haven't seen it.... don't have cable. =)

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself: Haven't seen it yet. I forgot it was coming out this month.

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By MrDirector786

@danhimself:

I enjoyed it and felt it was a great end to the show. Sure, I had a few issues like how I didn't get why Unicron couldn't seem to read Megatron's mind even though he was controlling him and there were a few things I wish had been explained, like what happened to Starscream with the Predacons at the end and maybe what Megatron did afterwards, and I felt the Allspark being introduced kind of came out of no where and I would have liked it better if it was at least mentioned in an earlier episode.

Oh, and (not putting this in the spoiler text because it's not really a spoiler) Unicron bringing Megatron back and controlling him against his will reminded me of Transformers: Energon.... and I don't want to be reminded of Energon. :P

Still, I feel most of those things were minor flaws and the rest of the movie was good enough that those things didn't bother me much at all.

Also, I listed all that as spoilers just for the people who haven't seen it yet and don't want to possibly spoil anything.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself: I just watched it now. And overall I enjoyed it . And I really appreciate the fact that they made this as a proper finale as opposed to leaving to the last episode. I kind of feel things were a little rushed and packed, I was surprised it was just over an hour. I thought it would be longer. It could have benefited from an extra half hour maybe just to make it a little less packed in.

But that is a minor thing with all things considered. I enjoyed and it did the series justice as a finale.

I am really interested in where they will from here. Since it seems they have alot of new plots to explore. It seems to have ended in an open way.

I thought it was really interesting how they handled Prime and Megatron I mean I was not expecting Prime to sacrifice himself for the good of Cybertron like that. And it was really fitting he did, since we don't usually get to see Prime make such a heroic sacrifice. It was nice to see him back all that up. And Megatron, wow. I am really curious as to where his character will go.

mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guardian_of_gravity said:

@vascillator said:

Erm, Shockwave has always been the number two best fighter in the Decepticons, not Soundwave.

Soundwave out of the big four is the worst fighter after Starscream.

Shockwave on the other hand is on par if not superior to Megatron, he just lacks his charisma.

It really depends on what continuity you are talking about. Since characters abilities range widely in each continuity.

Regarding the G1 cartoon continuity the Decepticons lost because they were the bad guys and it was an 80's cartoon and most villains in the 80's had that issue.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By z3ro180
danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By danhimself

@z3ro180 said:

@guardian_of_gravity: So is Optimus a descendant of a god ?

no....the thing that makes Optimus so powerful is the Matrix of Leadership....in the G1 continuity he was only a dock worker before the war and before he got the Matrix and in most other series he's kind of a librarian before being chosen by the Matrix

technically all Transformers are descendants of the original Thirteen Primes....and despite being really powerful they aren't gods...though the Thirteen are kind of descendants of Primus who is a god...so I guess you could say that Optimus is a descendant of a god but it doesn't make him any more special than any of the other Transformers

Irelan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've been watching a lot of episodes of Robots in Disguise; and there are a lot of Transformers I wish I could add to my collection like the Stunticons, Drift, and Fixit. I'll also be on the lookout for Clampdown or that other Decepticon that's a repaint of him. I just recently added a Deluxe class Blurr to my collection. I hope it doesn't come back to bite me later if I see an Arcee that's a repaint of that particular one. If I had enough money, I'd go to Toys R Us today and get the Titan Returns Sergeant Kup and a Legends class Blurr. I'm supposed to get birthday money pretty soon and will be going as soon as I do. I'm up to over 90 Transformers. I'm gonna have a little fun the next time I go by asking the store clerk if they have any Snort Farmers, Morf Transers, or Trans Morfers. In case nobody's familiar, those are scrambled words for Transformers from one of the episodes of The Simpsons.

God bless, Jason Scott Irelan