User Lists: 0

What's a "Tim Drake"?

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

Yeah it's sad. The Teen Titans title sucks. They should just give him a solo Tim Drake series with small appearances from the Teen Titans. Also, he totally lacks a connection to Batman in the New 52.

NovaRichRider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4  Edited By NovaRichRider

New 52 ruined him.

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lifeofvibe: Pretty much. A bad title makes him irrelevant. I lost interest after he stopped playing a significant role in Batman.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Yes because of the new 52 he is but to be honest I wasn't liking the direction he was going in pre 52 either.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 137

#9  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Yeah it's sad. The Teen Titans title sucks. They should just give him a solo Tim Drake series with small appearances from the Teen Titans. Also, he totally lacks a connection to Batman in the New 52.

New 52 ruined him.

yes.....my favorite Robin is merely a shadow of his former self

lifeofvibe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

who know what started it but as dernman said it also probley started before 52

havoc1201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lolbell ruined him and it keeps getting worse if you read Batman and Red Robin, Tim was in it for like 3 pages and it was a waste of the characters. Bruce and Tim basically have no relationship hell the whole bat family and Tim barely have a relationship in the new 52. I miss my favorite Robin, I like Jason Todd more then the new Tim....Thats Sad

QueenCorp15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never should of had him become red robin shoulda just kept him as robin the whole time

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

JulieDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JulieDC

I still like Tim Drake, but it is unfortunate how DC destroyed his character. I blame Grant Morrison, the introduction of Damian was the beginning of the end for Tim Drake. But then, after Dick became Nightwing, you only saw him in the Titan titles and seldom in Batman until the late 1990s. Even more so, it took around 12 years after he stopped being Robin before he got his own solo which he only got because Tim's solo was so successful. Hopefully DC won't sit on their butts for that long. But then, I have no faith in DC since New 52 has been one giant let down. They need to fire Lobdell from Teen Titans, give Tim his own solo, or at the very least let him be Robin again (he never deserved being booted from that position in the first place). Guess I'll continue reading and rereading all old comics prior to the reboot and just pretend New 52 doesn't exist.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#15  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Never should of had him become red robin shoulda just kept him as robin the whole time

He was great as Red Robin pre-New 52

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

Tim has undeniably been ruined by the reboot. I don't even think it's possible to redeem him at this point.

flazam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 52

I actually Like him more New 52, Is that just me?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

I am not really surprised if thats the case, not with all the changes thats befallen the Robins... which as far as I can tell has done nothing but make them all more alike to one another. I suppose it didn't help either that the New 52 Tim isn't a particularly likable person any more, a Bat-jerk without the redeeming factors he had before.

@flazam said:

I actually Like him more New 52, Is that just me?

Probably not :)

lazyboy93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just wanna see Tim Drake in his own solo again

Kramotz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tim Drake is no longer unique to the lore. This is why, as seen in the New 52, Young Justice and Teen Titans (animated series), he is gradually over time being assimilated by Dick Grayson's character--and I like that.

Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Aahz

@kramotz: The only thing that was really unique about Tim was that (for the most part of his career) was that he was more independent from batman because he was still living with his parents.

Apart from this Dick, Jason and Tim were (during there time as Robin) much more similar than most fans wan't to belive.

redwingx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By redwingx
Avatar image for theheaven_guardian10
TheHeaven_Guardian10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redwingx: You pretty much summed it up nicely.

Lhynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_claw:My suggestion: Kill him and bring the real Tim Drake, son of a rich and successful couple named Jack and Janet. A Nerd that spent his time playing D&D and that got to be robin only because he cared.

A humble guy that learned from the best and was on his way to becoming the best.

@aahz said:

@kramotz: The only thing that was really unique about Tim was that (for the most part of his career) was that he was more independent from batman because he was still living with his parents.

Apart from this Dick, Jason and Tim were (during there time as Robin) much more similar than most fans wan't to belive.

This is nonsense. In many many ways.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Aahz

@Soulaf said:
@aahz said:

This is nonsense. In many many ways.

If you actually read the original stories from their time as Robins, the differences aren't that big. There are lots of stories were it would be really hard to tell if the Robin is Jason or Dick if the name wasn't given.

And Dick was also often shown to be very intelligent and a great detective, and his role in the original Teen Titans (in the 60s) was very similar to Tims later in young Justice.

And the only reason that Tim was the first Robin that was good with computers is, that computers weren't that common around Dick and Jasons time. In Jasons case it was actually said he mastered computer science on university level, he just didn't had much opportunity to use that skill.

Lhynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aahz: Again, nonsense, ive marathoned all robins and i can tell you this is a huge lie.

First and foremost, Tim was a nerd, he played D&D with his friends, he had a normal life with a normal family, he was essentially a good kid with no trauma. This departure alone changes everything.

Im gonna agree with you that the reason Jason and Dick werent computer savvy was that computers werent as popular back then, but this goes to show you that the environment in which tim grew was radically different from the other two, which further builds on the difference between them.

Having a social life meant he had to lie a lot, him being a good kid for whom his normal and his night life were equally important, made him hate lying. Which is arguably the reason his father ever found out he was robin, he wanted to get caught. This is a very complex dynamic we are talking here that we could never see in the other robins. Tim often had to lie to the bat himself to get the job done, often successfully and which funnily enough he actually enjoyed.

Second, unlike with dick, where he was training a side kick, and jason, in which he was educating a lost cause, tim was a replacement, he was intended to be batman once bruce could no longer go on, he was trained as a partner, as someone that could act on their own.

Thirdly, while dick was probably as smart as tim during training, tims headspace went far above and beyond that. Outdetecting dick when he was in the batman cowl easily. On his 16th birthday tims "gift" from batman was training that would allow tim to evolve into the level of the greatest detective on earth, on par with batman. In red robin a recurring trick that tim made his own was the batman gambit, taking it to ridiculous levels on the last red robin issue, where tim states that gotham is his for the taking. Not bruces, not dicks, his. And after what he pulled, i believe him.

The growth of this character over the decades has been immense. While dick, jason and damian never really evolved past their shtick tim became a full fledged vigilante, with a rich past that nurtured who he became and with plenty of room to keep growing. Which is why i consider the loss of his past something criminal.

On most batman and family issues tims skills and detective side arent shown much, just computer and detecting stuff at the most base level. In the same way that you dont really see much of dick other than his charisma and acrobatics on other publications, reason being the publications arent about him, so they dont really get to shine, only support the titled character in some capacity.

TL;DR yer wrong.

Aahz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Aahz

@Soulaf: You are missing my point.

I was speaking about how they were written when they were Robins. Not how they were written later. And when Dick was Robin he was the smartest kid detective. And he wasn't written as a charismatic girl magnet.

Dick and Jason were also kind of nerdy, and Dick and pre-crisis Jason were also a good kids with no trauma and post crisis Jason was also quite normal for the most part of his run.

And I allready wrote in my first post that the only unique thing about Tim was that he had a family and was more independent from Bruce. Even that is only partly true, since Dick had his aunt Harriet around for some time, and was during the 70s also solo as Collage Student at Hudson University.

Lhynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@aahz said:

@Soulaf: You are missing my point.

I was speaking about how they were written when they were Robins. Not how they were written later. And when Dick was Robin he was the smartest kid detective. And he wasn't written as a charismatic girl magnet.

Dick and Jason were also kind of nerdy, and Dick and pre-crisis Jason were also a good kids with no trauma and post crisis Jason was also quite normal for the most part of his run.

And I allready wrote in my first post that the only unique thing about Tim was that he had a family and was more independent from Bruce. Even that is only partly true, since Dick had his aunt Harriet around for some time, and was during the 70s also solo as Collage Student at Hudson University.

Even then, tim was cautious and timid, took him a year to get on the suit because he didnt want to go tru the same mistakes than jason did. He instantly had an older brother figure in dick. It was shown that he struggled with the most physical part of the job, unlike dick. It was also shown that he was far more cautious than jason on the field.

DC made very sure to show us a very different robin from jason, because they wanted the fans to like him. It took a lot of the best traits of dick, because he was loved by the fans, but he was decidedly his own character because no one wanted to see a clone replacing dick. If anything jason was shown a bit too much like dick when on the suit, and this was what prompted people to hate him. Felt like they were simply replacing him.