k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

"I'm not following THOR: GOD OF THUNDER but I'm going to check out the new female Thor series." If that applies to you, then you'll be happy to know writer Jason Aaron's final chapter of THOR: GOD OF THUNDER is basically pure buildup for what's to come. Seeing as the events in T:GoT are spilling into the next series, this "God-sized" issue is basically a well-written way of making sure everyone knows what they need to know before moving forward. Who's Malekith and why is he such a not-so-nice person? What's young Thor like? What's going on in the future? Those questions are mostly answered. The big questions regarding new Thor? Well, you're just going to find a tease about what's to come (said tease is the double-page spread in the preview). Now, I know that sounds like a bit of a bummer if you've been following along since the very first issue, but there's still some nice developments in here and a few small teasers (there's apparently nothing regarding what Nick Fury said, so don't get your hopes up).

The story with Malekith takes some predictable twists and turns, but it's still engaging and you can't help but love how Aaron handles the dialogue with this genre. The young Thor one simply embraces fun and everything else is doing its best to make sure you want to pick up THOR #1. Honestly, it would probably be best if you didn't view this as the end of THOR: GOD OF THUNDER but instead as the prologue for Aaron's next story involving Thor. Even if you are upset that the Son of Odin isn't "worthy," it's not like he isn't going to be present. We're talking about three periods and Aaron's been doing a whole lot of worldbuilding this entire time. I'm definitely curious to see where this will go.

This big issue has three different art teams: Esad Ribic & Ive Svorcina, R.M. Guera & Giulia Brusco, and Simon Bisley. "Whoa, three different artists? That's going to be way too jarring, isn't it?" That's an understandable concern, random reader! However, the narrative makes the changes between styles feel organic. For the "present" (which happens to be the future), we're treated to more solid visuals from the latest art team (Ribic, Svorcina). It's more of what you've come to expect and that'll be good news for your eyes. They don't have the opportunity to present over-the-top action and diverse locations, so they instead focus on strong, expressive character work. They serve as our transition into the other tales, too (it'll make sense when you read it). Guera and Brusco handle a dark, twisted, and violent story which reveals Malekith's origin. Why is he such a warmonger? Why is his face like that? Aaron's trip into the past reveals these answers and the gritty style and emphasis on heavier shading suits this tale particularly well. Meanwhile, Bisley's focus on muscular physiques, big energy and grand scenes is the perfect look for young Thor and humans taking on Frost Giants. Bisley's style just oozes the right atmosphere and it does killer job with one of the chapter's most memorable bits.

The Bad

The biggest gripe here is that this is a pricey issue and it's pure hype building. Sure, there's a cool moment or two, but when it comes to THOR: GOD OF THUNDER, we've come to expect big and epic things, right? I know the word "epic" gets tossed around a lot, but it really does apply to this series on a regular basis. We all have a general idea of what Thor's future has in store for us, and this finale seemingly exists to make sure everyone has a proper handle on who the key players are and what's going on. Basically, it seems like it's mandatory reading if you haven't been following along and want to check out the upcoming Thor series. In fact, the only storyline that seems to be missing is old Galactus -- who I can't wait to see more of -- and Roz Solomon. None of it is necessarily "bad" but it isn't quite as impactful as many of the previous chapters.

The Verdict

THOR: GOD OF THUNDER #25 feels like it should really be THOR #0. It's meant to help prepare readers for what's to come in the new series, not answer any of our questions or even offer any big hints about the identity of the new Thor. Simply put, it's primarily buildup and it's mostly captivating stuff. I adore the dynamic between the Goddesses of Thunder, so it was great having them serve as the leads for each of the stories. As for the short stories, they don't offer the kind of oomph we're used to getting from this series (how can one top the Gorr and Galactus conflicts?), but they're still interesting and obviously huge teasers for what's to come. Plus, young Thor slices a Frost Giant in half, so there's that. This may be the end of THOR: GOD OF THUNDER, but this chapter makes it clear that the new THOR volume will essentially be more of the same. If you've been reading along, you know that's definitely a good thing.

JackJack390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

First!!!

DADDY_XERO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this is my final issue. it was amazing up to this point.

imo, the way marvel have gone about bringing in lady thor is stupid.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

If it's only build up then it should be the next Thor's series #0 issue. I really hated it when Nightwing's last issue was basically a build up to Grayson, especially since the issue before that felt so much more like a final issue. That should have been Grayon #0.

DrThanos91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

I liked this issue,each tale a story regarding Thor,malekith and a certain tricksters biological father's skull being mentioned(I want more agent roz lol) and a certain dialogue between the sisters showing how the girls of thunder activity when they are being bad asses...

I'm still going to read both Thor story arcs and the new Angela:Asgards assasin. I am still however a little saddened that Thor isnt wielding mjolnir,but I can accept change,and in the future we know he gets it back i.e King Thor XD

Now I play the waiting game for the new Thor(female) to arrive

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Crappy issue that gave no insight to Thor right now or female Thor. This could have been issue one of Thor god of thunder or any other issue and it wouldn't have made a difference. Seriously, the only new thing here is malekiths origin and that's irrelevant to what's going on with Thor now. Crappy way to end the series, we are still in the dark about female thor. When her series starts we will have no idea what's going on.

4Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By 4Thor

Jason Aaron what a liar!

Is this new Thor a character we've met already? Or is she a character we'll meet very soon?

Jason Aaron: Is the question of why Thor is no longer wielding Mjolnir something we'll see answered in books like "Thor & Loki: The Tenth Realm?" Or September's "Thor: God of Thunder" #25?

By the time we get to "Thor" #1 you'll have seen the answer to that. You'll see why Thor has become unworthy. We'll talk about that again in "Thor" #1. It's a very new reader-friendly issue, but it's also a continuation of everything I've been doing on "Thor: God of Thunder." So this is not me scrapping all the previous plans I had and starting over. This was kind of the idea from the get go. So everything was always moving towards Thor becoming unworthy and someone else having to pick up that hammer.

TGOT25 and Original Sin 5.5 don't give any answer, why Thor becomes unworthy in OS 7, that event was so stupid that i think marvel and Aaron are rewriting the reason why a stupid whisper made Thor unworthy, now i really think that marvel and Aaron are only interested in the publicity, this change was very forced and doesn't serve the plot.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a real shame when the last issue of any series ends up being the worst issue.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Hey look Thor fans who at first respect Jason Aaron like god then suddenly criticize him

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dondave

Lol

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@4thor: things change. This isn't the first time it's been. Spiderman Worlds End preview had Venom working with Spiderman but Venom did not even show up for the story. Same happened in one of the Solicit of Uncanny Avengers where Sentry was meant to kill some Avengers but he only shows up for one panel.

I am guessing they moved it back for odd reason.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's a real shame when the last issue of any series ends up being the worst issue.

It hurts.

FoamBorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By FoamBorn

I was actually very entertained by this issue, it didn't really feel like a recap though it was and that's because Aaron is so good. This was not like Soule's sm/ww pointless issues that feel like a total, monumental waste of money.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

Crappy issue that gave no insight to Thor right now or female Thor. This could have been issue one of Thor god of thunder or any other issue and it wouldn't have made a difference. Seriously, the only new thing here is malekiths origin and that's irrelevant to what's going on with Thor now. Crappy way to end the series, we are still in the dark about female thor. When her series starts we will have no idea what's going on.

Agreed 110%. This issue is a HUGE disappointment. I would have been happy had this book given Thor an epic send-off(because we all know he's coming back, eventually, after this stupid PR pandering move has run its course), but it didn't deliver. With all the talent involved, it should have given Thor fans not only an insight into what's coming, but an epic end-of-an-era type story for the one true Thor(regardless of what Marvel says), worthy of his fans, the character & the epic tone of the book that Thor: GoT was up until this point. Instead of ending the book with a thunderous roar, they ended it with a fizzle of heat lightning. Instead it read like a #0 issue, & a poor one as it gave no insight into Thor's current state or the female substitute at all. Total lackluster end to what was a great series; definitely doesn't give me high hopes for the future with this new "Thor". However, this lackluster issue will be my last issue of Thor for the forseeable future. After my many years of following Thor, through all the ups & down, even the tumultuous 90's, this is the first time I'm dropping the book- & that's saying something in & of itself. When the REAL Thor returns, I'll return, but not before. I won't buy into Marvel's pet PR project, or Aaron's attempt at a "Ballad of Beta Ray Bill" story with this Lady Thor. Sorry Aaron, you have skills, & it was a great run up until now(kind of lagged during "The Accursed", though) but you're not Simonson, & you're missing the point of Simonson's story, anyway. Until the real Thor returns to his rightful place with what is rightfully his, I'll be getting my Asgardian fix from Angela: Asgard's Assassin.

Xenonyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not really interested in getting Thor #1 featuring female-Thor so I'm starting to doubt whether I even want to get this issue. Hmm..

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

@winter_kills: @jayc1324: I agree with both of you. Did not like the ending at all. Pretty sour note to what has been a good series too. (not going to pick up the shethor book either )

Oh well

Supi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why all this sudden hate for Aaron reminds me of Slott and Superior Spiderman...(And then we will missed SpOck....)...And he doesn't even kill Thor(He will be in the new series)or put Loki in his body.......

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@winter_kills: @jayc1324: I agree with both of you. Did not like the ending at all. Pretty sour note to what has been a good series too. (not going to pick up the shethor book either )

Oh well

But...but it's technically not an ending. Sure, it's the final issue of THOR: GOD OF THUNDER, but all of these stories are carrying over into the next volume and this is discussed in the letter Aaron wrote in the end. We'll still see King Thor and what's going on with Galactus, the War of the Realms,the Goddesses of Thunder, and Young Thor. I like to imagine if Aaron had his way, THOR #1 would be THOR: GOD OF THUNDER #26, but, you know, #1s get more money (especially after turning into national news) and it's a business and all that jazz. Now, whether the story with new Thor will overshadow the preexisting stories has yet to be seen. I hope not, obviously.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@k4tzm4n said:

@fallschirmjager said:

Oh well

But...but it's technically not an ending. Sure, it's the final issue of THOR: GOD OF THUNDER, but all of these stories are carrying over into the next volume and this is discussed in the letter Aaron wrote in the end. We'll still see King Thor and what's going on with Galactus, the War of the Realms,the Goddesses of Thunder, and Young Thor. I like to imagine if Aaron had his way, THOR #1 would be THOR: GOD OF THUNDER #26, but, you know, #1s get more money (especially after turning into national news) and it's a business and all that jazz. Now, whether the story with new Thor will overshadow the preexisting stories has yet to be seen. I hope not, obviously.

It is an ending for me because I'm not going to contribute to Marvel's clear cash grab. They all ready charge more for their books than most on top of the constant renumbering (not that the latter bother mes)

I'm not even a huge fan of Thor, so I don't even care from that standpoint, but the new Girl-Thor is clearly nothing but a grab for attention/money. They can try to sell it as some kind of stance on promoting female lead books, but we all know its a shallow way of doing it and I'm not drinking the Kool Aid. Its been debating to death and we all know it.

And I'm not going to contribute to it. I don't mind businesses trying to make money - its what business are suppose to do, but this is just bad taste.

So this is an ending for me. And on that note, its disappointing.

Xenonyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Xenonyte

@k4tzm4n: I just fail to see how Aaron described as being the plan from the get go. Thor doesn't even become unworthy in his own title. Which gives more reasons to believe that the Marvel editorial pondered upon this idea and then decided to implement it in the middle of Aaron's writing. If you read all the story arcs that Aaron has wrote you'd never see any of this coming or none of this fitting in to what he's been writing. I just can't believe that Aaron's plan all along involved Thor becoming unworthy on a different title and having a female Thor take over. Yes, Thor will be in the book but it is more than likely he'll be overshadowed by her seeing as she is the PR stunt that's taking the headlines. And it's logical that Aaron would go along with this, would you argue against your boss' decision and risk losing your job? No, you'd play along along with everyone else.

EDIT: Great review as always though k4tzm4n! :P

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@k4tzm4n said:

@fallschirmjager said:

Oh well

It is an ending for me because I'm not going to contribute to Marvel's clear cash grab. They all ready charge more for their books than most on top of the constant renumbering (not that the latter bother mes)

I'm not even a huge fan of Thor, so I don't even care from that standpoint, but the new Girl-Thor is clearly nothing but a grab for attention/money. They can try to sell it as some kind of stance on promoting female lead books, but we all know its a shallow way of doing it and I'm not drinking the Kool Aid. Its been debating to death and we all know it.

And I'm not going to contribute to it. I don't mind businesses trying to make money - its what business are suppose to do, but this is just bad taste.

So this is an ending for me. And on that note, its disappointing.

I'm right there with you regarding the price tag.

I'm not a big Thor fan either,but this volume really won me over. And, if the same mind working on that has plans for the new Thor, then I'd at least like to give the first few chapters an honest chance. If it lacks substance and feels like a blatant gimmick, I'll end up dropping it. But, given the volume's history, I'm really hoping that's not the case.

@xenonyte said:

@k4tzm4n: I just fail to see how Aaron described as being the plan from the get go. Thor doesn't even become unworthy in his own title. Which gives more reasons to believe that the Marvel editorial pondered upon this idea and then decided to implement it in the middle of Aaron's writing. If you read all the story arcs that Aaron has wrote you'd never see any of this coming or none of this fitting in to what he's been writing. I just can't believe that Aaron's plan all along involved Thor becoming unworthy on a different title and having a female Thor take over. Yes, Thor will be in the book but it is more than likely he'll be overshadowed by her seeing as she is the PR stunt that's taking the headlines. And it's logical that Aaron would go along with this, would you argue against your boss' decision and risk losing your job? No, you'd play along along with everyone else.

EDIT: Great review as always though k4tzm4n! :P

I think it's very possible Marvel presented him with the idea, but I think it's equally possible that he can handle it well. But only time shall tell and I'm willing to give him the chance to prove it. Given the work he's done with this series, I'd say he's certainly earned it.

Thanks!

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@k4tzm4n: I liked the book but I have no particular interest in Thor as a character, even after it. I enjoyed the Future Scenes more than the present scenes. If they had their own book I'd read it.

Xenonyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: I liked the book but I have no particular interest in Thor as a character, even after it. I enjoyed the Future Scenes more than the present scenes. If they had their own book I'd read it.

Seconded.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a nice issue.

Samuel_Simmons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Samuel_Simmons

God Butcher was amazing, after left everything went downhill fast. The Roxxon story wasn't bad but lady thor basically means I'm done. I really don't know if I can trust Aaron's name on a book anymore.

Floyd_Fenris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Floyd_Fenris

So is female Thor's identity revealed in this issue or not? Is she even in it?

DJCG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love that an author can put forth one of the best runs of a major cornerstone character, say he's going to continue all the plot threads in that run, and some of you who have said you enjoyed the run have said you will stop reading because of female lol, only comic book fans. Since I enjoyed the run, I will keep reading it until it's Aaron gives me a reason within the book to stop reading, some beg for new /different stories but when it happens most complain about the change.

As for this issue, I thought it was great, loved the Malekith origin story and the young Thor story as well, really curious to see where Aaron goes. Art was great throughout, really enjoyed the battle scene with the Frost Giants. This and Hickman's Avengers books have the most interesting future premises of the Marvel books imo. Great review btw!

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@4thor said:

Jason Aaron what a liar!

Is this new Thor a character we've met already? Or is she a character we'll meet very soon?

Jason Aaron: Is the question of why Thor is no longer wielding Mjolnir something we'll see answered in books like "Thor & Loki: The Tenth Realm?" Or September's "Thor: God of Thunder" #25?

By the time we get to "Thor" #1 you'll have seen the answer to that. You'll see why Thor has become unworthy. We'll talk about that again in "Thor" #1. It's a very new reader-friendly issue, but it's also a continuation of everything I've been doing on "Thor: God of Thunder." So this is not me scrapping all the previous plans I had and starting over. This was kind of the idea from the get go. So everything was always moving towards Thor becoming unworthy and someone else having to pick up that hammer.

TGOT25 and Original Sin 5.5 don't give any answer, why Thor becomes unworthy in OS 7, that event was so stupid that i think marvel and Aaron are rewriting the reason why a stupid whisper made Thor unworthy, now i really think that marvel and Aaron are only interested in the publicity, this change was very forced and doesn't serve the plot.

I absolutely agree. I truly believe that Marvel came up with this controversial idea for the media buzz, & Aaron bought into it for one reason: he wanted to do his "Ballad of Beta Ray Bill" story. As hollow as this & the last issue of the Tenth Realm felt, I really believe that regardless of what he says, Aaron is building the story of "unworthy" Thor & "She-Thor" around this idea. As others have mentioned, Thor wasn't even found "unworthy" in his own comic. From previews it looks like he won't be losing his arm in the pages of Thor either, instead of the pages of Avengers 35. All these major things are happening to Thor, but not in his own book. You'd think they would at the very least be hinted at in this last issue, but they're not. That's why, based on interviews I've read with Aaron(& I have read every one of them), I believe he bought into this idea, & is structuring these last stories around it, so he can have his own "Ballad of Beta Ray Bill" story. He's mentioned that's what he wants this series to be. But, it'll never be seen in the same light as "Ballad of Beta Ray Bill", which is still considered one of the greatest Thor stories of all time. And as I said before, Aaron did a good job(besides the lagging "The Accursed" arc), he's a talented writer, but he's no Simonson. He & Marvel editorial are actually missing the point of Simonson's story: just because you're worthy of lifting Mjolnir & having the power of Thor, doesn't mean you have the right to have the hammer. And it certainly doesn't make you Thor. That's what Bill struggled with, throughout the storyline- even when he was in the pitched battle where he won Mjolnir, he was still conflicted. On the one hand it gave him the power he needed to save & protect his people, on the other he knew that Mjolnir wasn't truly his, that it belonged to Thor, & was a part of him, & his journey to worthiness that he made in himself, & as such belonged to Thor in a way it could never belong to him. That's one of the reasons Odin forged Stormbreaker. Simonson illustrated all this so well in "The Ballad of Beta Ray Bill", it introduced a new character that became a fan-favorite, with a story of his own, but at the same time affirmed what made Thor worthy, & why he should be Mjolnir's sole possessor. And Simonson masterfully told the story over the space of a few issues- he didn't need a whole new series to accommodate it, & it made it no less epic or memorable, as it still stands as one of the best Thor stories of all time. This story arc/series will never be what the "Ballad of Beta Ray Bill" was; & this new hammer-wielder will never be the character that Bill was, as she will only be overshadowed by the real Thor.

As for the people that have said "Oh, there's Thor fans who were praising Aaron & are now dissing him", I'm paraphrasing of course, but I can speak for myself that that's not true. Like many writers, Aaron had great stories; & some that were just meh. "The Accursed", for example, was a lagging one, & this issue, in particular, was a low point. And I've criticized Original Sin from the beginning; a lot of mischaracterization & no direction; except perhaps to further the new change-ups & shake-ups. (The best things to come out of it, for me, is Bucky's new role & the new WS series, & Angela: Asgard's Assassin.) I feel the change with Thor is definitely unnecessary; the book itself was a hit with both fans & critics, & was making new Thor fans too. Though it had its ups & downs, Aaron had a good formula going; & it's a shame for it to be messed up by an unnecessary, PR-pandering move, which is as uncoordinated & disjointed as Original Sin; & justifiably aggravating fans of Thor: GoT.

4Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@winter_kills: Your post is probably the best that i read regarding this forced change, and it's very easy to notice that is coming from a REAL THOR fan, with knowledge about the character and it's past in comics, not a random marvel fan that only post "likes" to every marvel move, even if that move is only for the sake of publicity, not story line!

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@4thor:

Thanks, brother. I love Marvel, but I'm not going to blindly follow their every move just because they're Marvel- esp. if it is a move that is damaging to a character, like this entire farce is. Real Thor fans, & fans of other characters that are facing such inane change-ups, need to speak out & don't let anyone shake your opinions & beliefs; stick up for your character & stick to your guns!

4Thor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By 4Thor
Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I liked this issue. At the very least, it is bringing me closer to the new Thor story. The sooner I get my hands on it, the better so I can determine for myself if Aaron can maintain the same level of awesomeness as he did with the God of Thunder run. I've never been more confused or unable to guess at what is going to happen in a comic book, like this one.