k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
No Caption Provided

There's a brand new Thor in the Marvel Universe and the next issue of her story goes on sale tomorrow. While the latest series technically is new reader-friendly, it's also a continuation of all the work Jason Aaron has done in the amazing THOR: GOD OF THUNDER. While THOR: GOD OF THUNDER may not be mandatory reading if you want to check out the new Thor run, we do strongly believe it's something that needs to be read and now we're going to tell you why it's worth your time. Grab a mead (if you're old enough and not at work, of course), get comfy and let's talk about why THOR: GOD OF THUNDER is awesome.

No Caption Provided

Let's get one thing out of the way: You don't need to be a Thor fan to appreciate this series. It's so phenomenal that you could have literally zero experience with the character going in to it and you'd still find yourself totally captivated by the stories. Yes, it's rich in Thor's mythos and will definitely appeal to pre-existing fans, but it's executed in a way that doesn't leave casual fans feeling in the dark. The art obviously plays a big role in what makes this volume special (we'll get to that in a bit), but Aaron's writing is exceptional. The stories are massive in scope yet never feel too over-the-top or ridiculous. The stakes are high, the characters are well-written, and the developments are gripping There's plenty of sequences that we can only describe as being nothing short of epic. Even though this book is full of spectacle, it never loses sight on a very important quality: character.

In less capable hands, this premise for the opening arc would be a total failure. Young, current, and future Thor joining forces to battle a compelling villain who wants to wipe Gods from existence? Sounds like it could be a convoluted mess, right? Luckily for us, Aaron doesn't leave anyone in the dust. Each version of Thor receives a proper spotlight and Gorr is transformed into a seriously memorable foe. The differences in personality are put front and center and the journey is filled with big, astonishing action sequences. The ridiculously good action will linger in your mind for years and years, but the story is every bit as character-driven as it is explosive.

No Caption Provided

The opening story, The God Butcher, gives Aaron the chance to really make an impact and turned Thor's volume into one of Marvel's standout titles. But what good is a great narrative without equally great and appropriate artwork? Thankfully, Aaron worked with artist Esad Ribic and colorist Ive Svorcina (it's worth noting Dean White colored the first chapter) and these pages live up to the immense and unforgettable scenes Aaron writes. They do an incredible job pulling you into these cinematic moments and so many of the panels will keep you staring at them.

The next story, The Accursed, has the return of Malekith and this is where Aaron begins some major world building. Now, some consider this story the weak point of the volume -- God Butcher is one hell of a tough act to follow -- and while it may not have the consistently stellar artwork or epic stakes of God Butcher, this one tests Thor in a whole new way and sets the stage for his future. Aaron's writing remains a delight as this arc draws a few noticeable parallels to The Lord of the Rings and adds more characters to the story. It's still loaded with great banter, has a steady a sense of wonder, and packs an ending which defies expectations.

No Caption Provided

The volume's final storyline, The Last Days of Midgard, has the return of Ribic and Svorcina and it's an immensely entertaining arc. As present Thor realizes he can't solve all issues with blunt force and lightning, future Thor faces a problem that can only be toppled by pushing his physical limits. Modern Thor facing the legal system was certainly unexpected and Aaron makes it a hugely amusing conflict for the God of Thunder. It also allows the writer to flesh out S.H.I.E.L.D.'s role in the title. Future Thor, however, is forced to fight Galactus and the battle is simply stunning. Both time periods thrive for completely different reasons and both of them never fail to excite. The follow-up -- which is completely devoid of action -- is the perfect complement to the events, too.

Here at Comic Vine, there's a lot of comic books that we love and are more than happy to praise. But THOR: GOD OF THUNDER? It's a title that delivers on every level. Thanks to a combination of magnificent writing and impressive visuals, this is a book that'll make you smile, drop your jaw, and completely immerse you in its breathtaking universe. Even if you're not a fan of the latest Thor, this is still something that demands to be read. It really is a brilliant adventure that everyone needs to experience. It's a character-driven ride that's full of thrilling action, great dialogue, and gorgeous panels. This isn't just one of Thor's best stories; it's one of Marvel's best new stories.

No Caption Provided

Have you read THOR: GOD OF THUNDER? If so, do you agree everyone should read it at least once?

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By SoA

i couldn't stand thor . then i read god of thunder and was blown away , such a good run , i wish it ran longer

t_hench

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

Read the first 2 TPB's of this series. Loved them. Will eventually get around to reading more of it...I hope.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#3 inferiorego  Staff

@soa said:

i couldn't stand thor . then i read god of thunder and was blown away , such a good run , i wish it ran longer

I felt the same way

Surtr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Surtr

It was a great run on Thor, but sadly this book was replaced by a PR Stunt!

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Guess I've gotta pick up some TPBs!

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By EarthsMightiest

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Honestly I only enjoyed the first part of it. The rest wasn't nearly as good.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't enjoy the God Bomb? If so, we can't be friends anymore.

;)

frozenedge2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

One thing I would've like to see before the switch in characters is Thor and Hercules together in one book for an arc. It would've been amazing to see a splash page of Thor and Herc fighting frost giants or the sort drawn by Ribic.

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

@dagmar_merrill said:

Didn't enjoy the God Bomb? If so, we can't be friends anymore.

;)

I meant both parts of Gorr's story.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love this series. Love Aarons run so far. Up there with Lee, Simonson, Jurgens and Stracynzki

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

It's a shame this ended because of Thor Girl.

Supi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jason Aaron is the best thing ever happened to Thor alongside Simonson.

Aaron set the base with his writing for the epic Thor stories of the next 20 years...

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have bought all the issues digitally but when the seris is released in two deluxe editions I'm gonna get them two.

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seeing this thread truly saddens me considering how such a phenomenal run was cut short. It was really fun while it lasted.

Also, the art in the third pic, with the three Thors fighting Gorr is simply glorious.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

I gave it a try... didn't like it so much.

Samuel_Simmons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After God Butcher and God Bomb, this book was just okay, the Malekith story was really boring, but then the Roxxon story was pretty decent, but neither came even close to halfway as good as Gorr. When I first started reading this I thought Jason Aaron is a great writer, now I'd say there's a fifty fifty shot. People should read Thor God of Thunder, but only the first two trades. Thor girl is at terrible idea and now I'll prolly never get to see anything for Thor be as good as god butcher ever again.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Cool

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't hate him but I definitely was not a thor fan before reading this. But one of the covers caught my attention and I was curious enough to pick it up, and it really turned me on to Thor as a character. Outstanding series. Awesome art and it showed just how powerful Thor really is. The inclusion of young Thor and old king Thor stories were the best part of the series. Too bad it had to end for female Thor.

Yeah I'd agree everyone should read it at least once, even if you don't find Thor interesting.

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

A magnificent series and a true pleasure for a Thor fan.

jackcryan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By jackcryan

I have only read the first the 3 volumes, the first two were mine blowing, but the third was the weak point. That doesn't make the third volume bad, it was good, just not as good as the first two.

xphilsa97x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@soa: Also agree. Hate Thor. Love this run.

greenlucario

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never liked Thor, but like so many people I gave this a shot, mainly because of Jason Aaron and I never regretted it once. Just wish it was still going, my wallet is happy it ended, but I am not.

jaybefre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Totally forgot about this run. I read the first issue, which I liked and was distracted by something else. Time to revisit this. Thanks for the reminder.

Zarathos022

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I'd much rather read this than the pitiful excuse of a Thor comic that Aaron's currently peddling.

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29  Edited By J_HickmanIsGod

pre-ordered the Deluxe Vol. 1 of this run, going to definitely enjoy reading this! also going to look good on my ever growing bookshelf collection as well!

Jason Aaron is an amazing writer, have high hopes for this

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

People need to stop complaining about the female Thor. It's getting old guys. We get it. You don't like change. I don't need every comments section about Thor to be filled with whining about it. My two cents? An intriguing idea that may not have been executed all that well in the pages of Original Sin. As a Thor fan, am I mad? Not even close.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@syncig: Negative comments are just as valid as positive ones. The end of this amazing series, Thor getting his arm chopped off by malekith of all people, him being unworthy because of nick fury of all people, and then being replaced are more than enough valid reasons to not be happy about it. And also, as you mentioned, the horrible execution of the idea, with what happened in original sin.

It has been badly executed as a whole so far, even starting with the way the whole thing was initially advertised, but perhaps the new Thor series will still be good.

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By IDontLikeBirds

This article was pretty much me when it said:

"You don't need to be a Thor fan to appreciate this series. It's so phenomenal that you could have literally zero experience with the character going in to it and you'd still find yourself totally captivated by the stories."

I have NO experience reading Thor, and I'm not a fan of the character at all. I picked this series up on a whim when I heard about the premise of three different Thors from different times. I was extremely surprised and LOVE this series. It's so well written, the art is beautiful and it makes me care about a character that I didn't give a d@mn about before. It's just...so, so good. If you're ever considering reading this in trade, don't. Don't even think about it, just do it.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: Yes, and comments like yours are completely fine with me. It is the "too bad Thor girl is ruining the good name of Thor" or other such nonsense that annoys me. Many people don't make productive comments. They just spew pointless hate. I appreciate your point of view and anyone who might not be happy with the new direction. I just want people to express that opinion in a more respectful way.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surtr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@syncig: "An intriguing idea that may not have been executed all that well in the pages of Original Sin. As a Thor fan, am I mad? Not even close".

As Thor fan do you get why she is called Thor?

By issue 2 preview she is human (Roz or Jane) e bet Roz, why she has blonde hair?

KungFuPurp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never cared for Thor much at all until I got into this run and it was very surprising to me how good it was and changed my mind on Thor untill they switched over to Thor-Girl , which completey ruined how good this run was , I was hoping it'd be a little longer. I wished they kept it going then later "possibly " switched to Thor-Girl later on but they didn't , & I'm noy interested in the series anymore because I think the charscter switch is cheesy especially for the caliber character The God of Thunder Thor ! is/was

Aliltron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 16

I've only read one volume so far (still need to pick up the others) but I have to agree. I never really got into Thor but this series, what I've read so far, is one of the best series I've read yet of Marvel NOW. It truly blew me away. It's too bad it ended.

Helicoprion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great story indeed

Avatar image for moonknightrunner
MoonKnightRunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

loved it, especially old galactus vs king thor

Avatar image for youmessinwithme
youmessinwithme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

all the different time periods of Thor are handled so well literally my favorite series of the year.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By SynCig

@surtr: An in universe explanation for her retaining the name of Thor might be that she took the oath on the side of the hammer literally. As far as the real reason, it's because the book wouldn't sell if it was called something else. The unfortunate truth is that so many people claim to want new characters but whenever they create them, no one cares. I prefer original Thor but I'm willing to let this story play out. Especially since it is still Jason Aaron writing.

kriminal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I got all 25, all first printings

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453
deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Godbutcher saga might be my favorite piece of fiction ever, I cannot recomend it enough please do youre self a favor and get the trade you won't be disappointed

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really love this run.

Avatar image for thunderingthorfan
ThunderingThorFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@syncig: sorry. It's not even getting close to old. I personally will plague Hammerette til she disappears and the honor of my favorite character is restored. That's just the way of the world. I've seen some of your posts saying that you're not happy with this comment and don't appreciate that comment either. And that's fine. But, by the same token, you have no right to silence our opinions because I'm frankly sick of people who keep telling me to accept this crap PR stunt. Who's getting offended? If people can't take arguable facts about the uselessness of the character that's tough. I mean just by the way the character talks you can tell she is worthless. Where is the strength in her words?! "Oohhh I've seen Thor do this!" "This is so cool!" Seriously. That's supposed to be a badass character??! And for this, a character I have adored for near 30years is being humiliated and degraded?! Not to mention that she's not even a god. So I don't know why they're referring to her as "goddess of thunder" just because she wields the power of Thor. She's not him. Otherwise beta Ray bill is a god. So is red norvell. And Eric Masterson. And no. None of them are. So Ignore posters you don't like because I'll keep voicing my discontent with this nobody until she's gone.

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't read the entire run yet but based on what I've seen it's stellar. Really made me appreciate the character more. While the books are different I feel Azzarello accomplished same things with his Wonder Woman run.

Well done Marvel & DC. Sadly both runs are now over.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thunderingthorfan: I am in no way attempting to "silence" anyone. All I want is for people to be civil about the things they post. This is a community of comic book fans. Everyone has their own opinions and should feel free to express them. I've already stated this but I'll say it again. People should make productive comments. Just throwing out mindless hate doesn't do anyone any good. Whenever I have an issue with something or I'm not happy about a direction a book is going, I try to explain my point with clarity. I invite discussions such as these. There are some that only want to throw down their venom and refuse to acknowledge that others have opinions as well.

consafo80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I read none of this run but did pick up Thor #1 which was brilliant and makes me want to read the build up to it.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Krypton-115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've read the first two trades, they were nothing less then amazing.