Why isn't anyone talking about...Secret Wars 2 spoilers

killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By killraven4334

Why isn't anyone talking about the death of King Thor? King Thor and several other Thors got stomped by the cabal...to me the death of such a major character would at least be discussed yet I have not found anybody talking about it. King Thor gets a spear through his head and its buisness as usual on the Thor boards?

Does anybody have any clue as who/what those Thors are? The book made it pretty clear that doom was harvesting stars from the current universe so they aren't mjolnirs from different universes, but those Thors clearly do not have 616 level powers as Old King Thor is leagues above the cabal and yet was someone killed in a single attack.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I'm not reading Secret Wars for starters, mainly because bs like this was likely going to be what was happening, just killing off characters left and right for no other purpose than killing them off. I'm sitting this out until it's over to see if it sticks or if SW is simply a blip on the radar and things pretty much get back to normal once it's done. If this is a major reboot of the MU to bring it in line with the MCU that's just total stupidity and Marvel can have their casual new readers since that's all they seem interested in any more.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not really into seeing anything with Jane holding the hammer of Thor myself. Maybe one day when all the she Thor stuff is over with I will see. What is Odins take on the whole things I am a huge Odin fan and Thor the two together make a great team and when you add Loki to the mix you get awesome.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Not reading Marvel till the PR stunts are over so.....

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By antithetical

...you may not be reading Marvel for a very long time.

Glarinetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cgoodness said:

You got a point. xD I was going to recommend DC, but after Batbunny and others I'm not that sure.

Avatar image for thorthunderingfan
ThorThunderingFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ThorThunderingFan

Well i'm not sure , but i don't think that was our King Thor , it was on Doom's world so maybe it's diferent i don't know for sure

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Well i'm not sure , but i don't think that was our King Thor , it was on Doom's world so maybe it's diferent i don't know for sure

Yeah it was an alt universe Thor (he had red hair) not King Thor.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't care about Secret Wars. Not reading it. Just sounds like one big mess conceptually, and there appears to be no exception for Thor with this whole "cosmic police force" garbage concept.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because that guy wasn't king Thor

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am not reading secret wars. But according to some people here that wasn't even him.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12 the_stegman  Moderator
Avatar image for thegodofthunder
TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are we sure it was a different universe thor. The one panel I saw, it looked like his hair was just red due to lighting, or was it red throughout the issue. I did notice his helmet had some gold on it too, which is different from our king thor.

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol this event so far has been best event in comics history this is not some pr stunt

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By antithetical

@comicsrulebutdbzdoes2: ha! missed that one... guess I stand corrected, though I take it @cgoodness is referring to stuff like fem-Thor and Falcon Cap and not Secret Wars.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical said:
@cgoodness said:

You got a point. xD I was going to recommend DC, but after Batbunny and others I'm not that sure.

you could recommend dc but isn't what's going on with them right now kind of the same, with convergence and all lol?

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Dame I should not have clicked on this thread :( anyway I don't think it was 616 King Thor cause he is in the Thors book.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

@killraven4334: Thor Army isnt that interresting. Plus that issue had better things to focus on like the new universe, the sereval fraction, the aliances with that fractions.

ThorOdinson24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I heard it was Odin plus Doom made those hammers so I doubt that old Thor or Odin even had the Odin Force or those Doom made hammers being as powerful as Mjolnir.

killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

he had the destroyer arm, and was missing an eye... everything except the slight off color beard indicates it was a king thor

Tyger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_arrow said:

he had the destroyer arm, and was missing an eye... everything except the slight off color beard indicates it was a king thor

Yeah, but Doom seems to have pretty much made everyone his... you know.

I don't think there's anyone around (Except maybe Phoenix Cyclops) who can come even close to him ATM. Expect all the Thors to be lacking in the power department compared to what we usually see. At least until the Cabal and the Illuminati start to 'fix' things.

adderworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killraven4334: If they had ended this Thordis PR stunt before starting the Secret Wars, I would have followed it. As it stands, I have no interest in watching a fake Thor continue to use the hammer, steal Thor's name, and continue to push a bad story. So, there is no real reason for me to comment about my Thor fandom in a Thor forum.

killraven4334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By killraven4334

@killraven4334: If they had ended this Thordis PR stunt before starting the Secret Wars, I would have followed it. As it stands, I have no interest in watching a fake Thor continue to use the hammer, steal Thor's name, and continue to push a bad story. So, there is no real reason for me to comment about my Thor fandom in a Thor forum.

Boobs-Thorita hasn't been in secret wars too much yet, and yeah Thors is supposed to be featuring the depowered Ultimate version of Thor, but I never said you had to financially support marvel, I don't and will not until the PR stunts end as well, but I do read the stories even if I don't pay for them. Heck man, read just so you can come bash it on the forums, you can insult the writers better when you know the shit they are peddling.

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By unbreakable_fs4

I don't think it's King Thor. On another note, the first two issues of Secret Wars were very interesting.

adderworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killraven4334: It is true, I will have to remember that part. Watch from afar while not giving Marvel the cash. As far as reading the stories, I am going to skim the wiki and reviews if I am being honest. I have zero interest in the current storyline for personal reasons - actually having a family member with cancer somehow makes me angry when I see an author like Aaron exploiting it to sell comics.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@killraven4334: It is true, I will have to remember that part. Watch from afar while not giving Marvel the cash. As far as reading the stories, I am going to skim the wiki and reviews if I am being honest. I have zero interest in the current storyline for personal reasons - actually having a family member with cancer somehow makes me angry when I see an author like Aaron exploiting it to sell comics.

I've had family members die from cancer, and very close friends who've experienced the same in more recent years, and while I'm pretty thick skinned when it comes to dealing with death in general (having had both parents die before I was 4 yrs old), Aaron needs to tread cautiously with such subject matter since he could so easily trivialize what so many are, and have been, going through... I honestly feel the worst thing he could do is have Jane magically cured in some fashion because it would be like spitting in the faces of those who have suffered the loss of a loved one.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adderworks said:

I've had family members die from cancer, and very close friends who've experienced the same in more recent years, and while I'm pretty thick skinned when it comes to dealing with death in general (having had both parents die before I was 4 yrs old), Aaron needs to tread cautiously with such subject matter since he could so easily trivialize what so many are, and have been, going through... I honestly feel the worst thing he could do is have Jane magically cured in some fashion because it would be like spitting in the faces of those who have suffered the loss of a loved one.

I disagree with you guys on the cancer thing. I'm not reading Thor based on the PR stunt, but the cancer has nothing to do with it.

Lets look at it this way, by that logic Batman's parents and Peter Parker's uncle Ben being killed by gun toting criminals is insensitive to those who lost family members or friends to gun violence. DC shouldn't use the Joker anymore. He's a serial killer and we must think of the victims of various real life serial killers. Also seeing as how Joker shot Barbara Gordon lets make the feminists happy by asking DC to remove him from continuity altogether. Actually we probably shouldn't buy comics that feature any villains at all because somebody somewhere will have an issue with them.

With that said if you personally don't want to buy a title because of it's themes and content, more power to you. To say an author shouldn't write about a topic because you disagree with it? Nah, I can't get behind that.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical said:
@adderworks said:

I disagree with you guys on the cancer thing. I'm not reading Thor based on the PR stunt, but the cancer has nothing to do with it.

Lets look at it this way, by that logic Batman's parents and Peter Parker's uncle Ben being killed by gun toting criminals is insensitive to those who lost family members or friends to gun violence. DC shouldn't use the Joker anymore. He's a serial killer and we must think of the victims of various real life serial killers. Also seeing as how Joker shot Barbara Gordon lets make the feminists happy by asking DC to remove him from continuity altogether. Actually we probably shouldn't buy comics that feature any villains at all because somebody somewhere will have an issue with them.

With that said if you personally don't want to buy a title because of it's themes and content, more power to you. To say an author shouldn't write about a topic because you disagree with it? Nah, I can't get behind that.

The two are nowhere near the same. One takes cancer and a person dying from it in intense pain. It saying when confronted with a cure and she says no. That some how this makes her noble and worthy. It would not , Why not say hey I do not want the cure but I know 10 people in a children's ward that would love so said cure. Crime and those whom step up to the plate to fight it are what comics are about. Some put on a cape others program computers and some stitch people up at hospitals and send them home.

Crime without the people that fight it would over flow and go on and on and you would get chaos or look at the middle east.

People just taking life when ever they wished and no price to be paid for so said life. It is one reason why most heroes have a no kill policy for they would quickly learn to just start killing and sooner or later it would be for Jay Walking. Yet another reason to wear a mask because some people prefer to not be thanked or given money when they save a life but to escape back into life again with nobody the wiser that they did a good and noble deed. Graphic novels are out in the world and some have no violence what so ever they simply are like a soap and it is sold to a select few be it animation or magni , or snoopy or Garfield and even some books by great Authors.

Cancer is a sore issue because when it kills it can take years or as most of us are aware it can take days and months as well. The people women up the street went into the doctor for meds for her knees. She is getting the meds filled when the husband says that morning she coughed up blood. The doctor admits her into the hospital and they run test. She is filled with cancer , not just a little bit but filled with it. She never leaves the hospital and her husband is a wreck. One minute she is fine the next they are saying Rest In Peace and the dirt covers the body and the people pray and you say , God take care of yours.

Some issues are not comic issues but if they do become comical in any way we would hope if they were offered a cure that the character would take it and not spit in the face of so said cure.

At the end of the day it is all just a comic book , just a story being told by a writer.

Cancer may be real but surely you do not have Thor , she Thor or whom ever running about tossing around lightning and saying...."Be thee of good cheer youngins, Thor has your back" The lightning strikes , The Thunder rolls and she knows that he Knows....

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Asgaard

@risingbean said:
@antithetical said:
@adderworks said:

But in my perspective you also weren't able to understand or acknowledge the fact that this plot doesn't fit in Thor and Asgard, i think could fit other comics not related with the magic of the Gods but not Asgard for sure, i think it's a delicate theme that should never be mixed with magic in any story, from the confirmation moment that Jane was Thordis that i refuse to run any possible future scenario but Aaron has to be responsible for his writing on Jane/Thordis...

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The two are nowhere near the same. One takes cancer and a person dying from it in intense pain. It saying when confronted with a cure and she says no. That some how this makes her noble and worthy. It would not , Why not say hey I do not want the cure but I know 10 people in a children's ward that would love so said cure. Crime and those whom step up to the plate to fight it are what comics are about. Some put on a cape others program computers and some stitch people up at hospitals and send them home.

Crime without the people that fight it would over flow and go on and on and you would get chaos or look at the middle east.

People just taking life when ever they wished and no price to be paid for so said life. It is one reason why most heroes have a no kill policy for they would quickly learn to just start killing and sooner or later it would be for Jay Walking. Yet another reason to wear a mask because some people prefer to not be thanked or given money when they save a life but to escape back into life again with nobody the wiser that they did a good and noble deed. Graphic novels are out in the world and some have no violence what so ever they simply are like a soap and it is sold to a select few be it animation or magni , or snoopy or Garfield and even some books by great Authors.

Cancer is a sore issue because when it kills it can take years or as most of us are aware it can take days and months as well. The people women up the street went into the doctor for meds for her knees. She is getting the meds filled when the husband says that morning she coughed up blood. The doctor admits her into the hospital and they run test. She is filled with cancer , not just a little bit but filled with it. She never leaves the hospital and her husband is a wreck. One minute she is fine the next they are saying Rest In Peace and the dirt covers the body and the people pray and you say , God take care of yours.

Some issues are not comic issues but if they do become comical in any way we would hope if they were offered a cure that the character would take it and not spit in the face of so said cure.

At the end of the day it is all just a comic book , just a story being told by a writer.

Cancer may be real but surely you do not have Thor , she Thor or whom ever running about tossing around lightning and saying...."Be thee of good cheer youngins, Thor has your back" The lightning strikes , The Thunder rolls and she knows that he Knows....

Topically they may not be the same, but they are the same in that to some people they are sensitive topics. Cancer is your hot topic. My uncle, a Vietnam vet who had lingering issues due to agent orange died last year. He didn't seek treatment at the end. He decided he wanted to spend his time with his family at home and not fighting what would likely be a losing battle anyhow in a hospital bed. While you may not agree with Jane's decisions (or Arron's as a writer) that doesn't invalidate them.

You bring up the chaos of the Middle East. I spent more then two years there. I got shot at, and at one point was almost blown up with an RPG. Should I go complain I don't like seeing Batman shot at because it reminds me of things I may wish to forget? No. If I don't want to see a topic brought up, I can skip the title. If you don't care for the events of a comic title, the simple answer is don't buy it. You're welcome to complain, but you're not going to get comics writers to shy away from topics like death, rape, cancer, or politics and I'm personally glad for that.

Cancer is a sore issue for you. Suicide for another. Violence against a third. By your logic, if writers couldn't write about a topic because it offended somebody, there wouldn't be a topic safe to discuss.

@asgaard said:

But in my perspective you also weren't able to understand or acknowledge the fact that this plot doesn't fit in Thor and Asgard, i think could fit other comics not related with the magic of the Gods but not Asgard for sure, i think it's a delicate theme that should never be mixed with magic in any story, from the confirmation moment that Jane was Thordis that i refuse to run any possible future scenario but Aaron has to be responsible for his writing on Jane/Thordis...

If the plot doesn't fit that is one thing. But lets look at it like this. Jane Foster is a human. Humans sometimes get cancer. The Asgardians have magical remedies. It all fits together pretty well.

At the end of the day, your "delicate theme" comments fall into the same school of thought as those of the poster I just commented to. No matter what you write about you're possibly going to piss somebody off. If we censor stories about cancer, what is next? Are we going to censor things until we can't have writers discuss anything that will resonate with the reader on an emotional level? If those are the type of comics you want, the Golden/Silver age is for you. Lots of reprints available.

Also, I still prefer "Wench Thor" to Thordis, but maybe that is just me.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Asgaard

@risingbean:

If you think that Asgard, a world with different beliefs from Midgard and build with the magic premise, can be a good fit like any other mundane marvel comic to tell stories about cancer, power to you, i just don't share that opinion...And like i said above becomes a more delicate theme when connected with magic, if the magic wasn't in the plot i could agree with you, Odin made Jane Goddess in the past and Sif save Jane's life with her life force, but now Jane refuses Asgardian magic to heal her current disease, but goes fight crime with a magical hammer that apparently has influence in her current heath condition!? This is Aaron's execution of the new creative decisions (pr stunt)... (i m also not reading Aaron's current crappy writing)

No Caption Provided

Thordis also fits better because also connects with the past when Jane also pick the hammer, and become Thordis...

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: I'm not saying the writing is good. It isn't in my opinion. I'm saying that writers should be able to write about topics that may make people angry. Cancer in this case. That's the only point I'm pushing.

adderworks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By adderworks

@antithetical: I think the cancer aspect angers me in that comics should be about escaping from reality to some degree - Why cancer? Why not a magical plague that stems from a green rock? Why not a hundred other things that might kill a human on Asgard? I just find it hard to enjoy a story where the writer is exploiting something that all of us have to deal with in our daily lives and has no real place in any world where Thor and crew fight ice giants on the weekend.

*for everybody else and such* I have resisted talking about the cancer aspect since it is a touchy subject, but the reveal makes it hard to ignore. I am not sure that there is any one thing you can say about it as all of us have our own experiences with cancer. You could say that Aaron is using this to further a discussion on cancer, but I recall his attack on fans that disagree with him using a in-comic character. I doubt that an author petty enough to use a Thor panel to attack his own fans would have the foresight to author meaningful dialog material regarding something as serious as cancer as part of a planned story.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical: I think the cancer aspect angers me in that comics should be about escaping from reality to some degree - Why cancer? Why not a magical plague that stems from a green rock? Why not a hundred other things that might kill a human on Asgard? I just find it hard to enjoy a story where the writer is exploiting something that all of us have to deal with in our daily lives and has no real place in any world where Thor and crew fight ice giants on the weekend.

*for everybody else and such* I have resisted talking about the cancer aspect since it is a touchy subject, but the reveal makes it hard to ignore. I am not sure that there is any one thing you can say about it as all of us have our own experiences with cancer. You could say that Aaron is using this to further a discussion on cancer, but I recall his attack on fans that disagree with him using a in-comic character. I doubt that an author petty enough to use a Thor panel to attack his own fans would have the foresight to author meaningful dialog material regarding something as serious as cancer as part of a planned story.

This is my main concern. Is Jason Aaron the kind of writer who could successfully pull off a story dealing with that issue or isn't he? I only know his writing from Thor and GoT, which possibly isn't enough to adequately make a judgement, but based on what I have read I have my doubts.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually think absorbing man got it spot on except for the manly part and feminism I don't think aaron gets why Thor fans are pissed at him. He removed the character they loved from his own comic gave his birth name to someone else for no logical reason apart from she has his weapon and removed his name from him I'm not angry at a woman wielding mjolnir I'd be annoyed if some random guy did the same thing it makes no difference they wouldn't be Thor to me, the only recently good writing of Thor was Hickman in New avengers with the Thor and Hyperion scene that was the real Thor. It makes sense that someone can call themselves captain america as it's a title not given at birth, taking Thor's name is the same as if someone started using Steve's shield and called themselves Steve Rogers it just doesn't work like that birth names aren't transferable. Nowhere in the enchantment does it say that whosoever holds the hammer shall become Thor it says they shall have his power so aaron is just ruining the whole Thor character and backstory. Steve or Beta Ray Bill didn't become Thor when they lifted it aaron has ruined it for me.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Basically my face when reading any of aaron's Thordis comics.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To answer the OP, maybe because a "cosmic police force" comprised of different "Thors" is a stupid concept.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It would be nice if Thor was on a force to deal with things and track whom did something or keep the universe safe. That is not bad or a bad idea.

To have the whole force made up of other Thor's is kind of creepy lol.....That I will pass on.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm curious to if the mjolnir in secret wars is going to have the same concept of worthiness as the real one and if so who enchanted it as it seems Odin isn't around so maybe it's doom who did it. And seeing how there was a very small amount of worthy people before and now it appears there is hundreds that are worthy of it could it have a different enchantment maybe, just a theory.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By antithetical

@thorthunder98: Considering there look to be at least dozens of Mjolnirs corresponding to all the different Thor's there's no telling how the enchantments differ from one to the other, or how similar they are, which has the potential for mass stupidity if Aaron decided to touch on that aspect. And since he's so invested in this "Mjolnir as a character" idea I wouldn't put it past him.

Thorthunder98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical: Yes true, aaron has managed to do some very stupid things recently so anything is possible. Do you think Thor Odinson will be in the Thor cops at all? Also do you think it was King Thor that was in God of Thunder that was killed by the Cabal because if it was he has been extremely nerfed after taking on Galactus one on one. People have pointed out he had redish hair so that could be something noteworthy but we'll have to find out I guess.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorthunder98: I'm neither reading Secret Wars nor have I seen any scans of that particular incident, so I can't say one way or the other whether I think that may have been King Thor.