#1 Posted by THORSON (2441 posts) - - Show Bio

why can't THOR be stronger/powerful than everyone in the marvel/DC universe?

THOR

#2 Posted by Perethorn (3402 posts) - - Show Bio

Because of his father, the Celestials, Galactus, Beyonder, Living Tribunal, Thanos etc. That is why

#3 Posted by SOG7dc (7311 posts) - - Show Bio

Because it's make him boring. Who would want to read about a character who is never threatened? I love super powerful characters and I would definitely make both Thor and superman vastly stronger than they are right now but I'd have to give thin new threats as well. Think about it like this: would you want to read an ongoing about the presence or TOAA?

#4 Posted by Saren (25694 posts) - - Show Bio

Several months and threads later, and I still wanna know why you keep capitalizing THOR.

#5 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

No hero can be the strongest in the universe because then they'd have nothing to challenge them. Villains always need to be a threat.

That said, Stark recently mentioned Thor as Earth's ultimate deterrent against galactic threats, so it's not like he gets no respect.

#6 Posted by phisigmatau (515 posts) - - Show Bio

Several months and threads later, and I still wanna know why you keep capitalizing THOR.

cause he has some friggin respect for THOR: GOD OF THUNDER

#7 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

Because its a stupid idea

#8 Posted by DEGRAAF (7886 posts) - - Show Bio

Not that it would be a good comic but what about making a character that is the strongest with absolutely no one being a threat to him physically but his issue comes down to He cant be every where to save everyone. Picture World Breaker Hulk vs Reverse Flash. He is unstoppable strength wise but the new problem is that he can not stop his villains all the time bc he still has the short coming of speed.

I think as long as the hero has a short coming then it could still be interesting

#9 Edited by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizenbane said:

#10 Posted by phisigmatau (515 posts) - - Show Bio

@degraaf said:

Not that it would be a good comic but what about making a character that is the strongest with absolutely no one being a threat to him physically but his issue comes down to He cant be every where to save everyone. Picture World Breaker Hulk vs Reverse Flash. He is unstoppable strength wise but the new problem is that he can not stop his villains all the time bc he still has the short coming of speed.

I think as long as the hero has a short coming then it could still be interesting

yeah, im kinda hoping they do that for TDW

instead of weakening him, they could have the main villians terrorizing Midgard and Asgard at the same time, and Thor has to choose between home and a future without Jane

That way we still get to see his power in full display but still seeing him struggle to victory.

#11 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4808 posts) - - Show Bio

Because then he would be SUPER boring. ( + )

#12 Posted by HaveAtThee (527 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, because he was so exciting panel by panel during AVX, Siege, Fear Itself or any other idiotic event in which he had to be jobbed out to whichever flavor of the month happened to be possessed or just casually amped up with power. Yes, Superman jobs sometimes because the threat has to appear credible, but ask any DC reader (or heck a casual superhero fan) who the most powerful superhero is or who will make the big save, and most will say Superman. There is absolutely NO ambiguity with DC as to who is top dog, even though there are plenty of incredibly powerful characters like Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman, Flash and Green Lantern and others who could seriously hurt him. Over at Marvel, they really don't care about any sort of hierarchy, especially in the last decade, where continuity has been almost completely abandoned and characters are mostly empty husks or window dressing for whichever "OMG LIFE-ALTERING EVENT!" happens to pass by.

My problem with superhero comics in general is that there is little progression in the continuity and story of the characters. That and WAAAY too many superheroes (especially in Marvel) are based in basically one area. The industry itself is too bloated with superhuman characters. They all basically act in the same manner and have to deal with the same things. Thanks to Quesada, Millar and Bendis, they're taken Alan Moore's Watchmen idea and applied it to the entire Marvel continuity and basically demolished the Marvel universe in the last decade with all this hero vs . hero crap. In the process villains have almost completely lost their credibility in the eyes of many readers. Plus, too many heroes are Earth based, even though they aren't human (coughTHORcough).

Thor is a great example. Since his return, they've taken Asgard and placed in hovering over Oklahoma. IMO, this was the dumbest idea ever to try and "humanize" Thor and the Asgardians. I don't care how many times Sif or Thor get drunk at a local Broxton bar, or how many omelets Volstagg cooks at Bill's Diner, they are Asgardian gods, not some random Scandinavian renaissance actors. Sure, it's nice to see Thor take a breather and catch a buzz off a nice lager with his Avengers pals after battle, but there's no mystique left to Thor or the Asgardians since they are always around considering their "realm" resides on Earth. How much more compelling is Thor traversing time and space and across various galaxies and pantheons in the 'God Butcher' arc?

#13 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6349 posts) - - Show Bio

What a pointless and idiotic thread.

#14 Posted by phisigmatau (515 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, because he was so exciting panel by panel during AVX, Siege, Fear Itself or any other idiotic event in which he had to be jobbed out to whichever flavor of the month happened to be possessed or just casually amped up with power. Yes, Superman jobs sometimes because the threat has to appear credible, but ask any DC reader (or heck a casual superhero fan) who the most powerful superhero is or who will make the big save, and most will say Superman. There is absolutely NO ambiguity with DC as to who is top dog, even though there are plenty of incredibly powerful characters like Martian Manhunter, Wonder Woman, Flash and Green Lantern and others who could seriously hurt him. Over at Marvel, they really don't care about any sort of hierarchy, especially in the last decade, where continuity has been almost completely abandoned and characters are mostly empty husks or window dressing for whichever "OMG LIFE-ALTERING EVENT!" happens to pass by.

My problem with superhero comics in general is that there is little progression in the continuity and story of the characters. That and WAAAY too many superheroes (especially in Marvel) are based in basically one area. The industry itself is too bloated with superhuman characters. They all basically act in the same manner and have to deal with the same things. Thanks to Quesada, Millar and Bendis, they're taken Alan Moore's Watchmen idea and applied it to the entire Marvel continuity and basically demolished the Marvel universe in the last decade with all this hero vs . hero crap. In the process villains have almost completely lost their credibility in the eyes of many readers. Plus, too many heroes are Earth based, even though they aren't human (coughTHORcough).

Thor is a great example. Since his return, they've taken Asgard and placed in hovering over Oklahoma. IMO, this was the dumbest idea ever to try and "humanize" Thor and the Asgardians. I don't care how many times Sif or Thor get drunk at a local Broxton bar, or how many omelets Volstagg cooks at Bill's Diner, they are Asgardian gods, not some random Scandinavian renaissance actors. Sure, it's nice to see Thor take a breather and catch a buzz off a nice lager with his Avengers pals after battle, but there's no mystique left to Thor or the Asgardians since they are always around considering their "realm" resides on Earth. How much more compelling is Thor traversing time and space and across various galaxies and pantheons in the 'God Butcher' arc?

QFT

I should post this in my blog that cv gives me or somethig

#15 Posted by LeeSensei (385 posts) - - Show Bio

Why should Thor be more powerful than everyone else?

#16 Posted by Z3RO180 (6587 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: what issue did tony say that ?

#17 Posted by lifeofvibe (3494 posts) - - Show Bio

cause he holds a hammer not the earth cough*superman*cough anyways he doest get his power from his strenght he gets hes power from his hammer wich is pretty stupid when you think about it

#18 Posted by fodigg (6146 posts) - - Show Bio

@z3ro180 said:

@fodigg: what issue did tony say that ?

Most recent Iron Man issue I believe, when talking to the robot guy.

#19 Posted by Z3RO180 (6587 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: cool thanks for that dude

#20 Edited by Outside_85 (9171 posts) - - Show Bio

Coz he isn't God Almighty, he is just God of Thunder.

#21 Posted by TheGodofThunder (598 posts) - - Show Bio

@lifeofvibe: He doesn't get his powers from his hammer.

#22 Edited by lifeofvibe (3494 posts) - - Show Bio

@thegodofthunder: then he gets his powers from oden force! i dont know man and really dont care

#23 Edited by THEOCITYLEGEND (1208 posts) - - Show Bio

It would make for an absolutely boring character and god awful comic books.

#24 Posted by Dernman (15159 posts) - - Show Bio

@lifeofvibe: He gets his strength and storm powers from himself.

#25 Edited by lifeofvibe (3494 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by Dernman (15159 posts) - - Show Bio

@lifeofvibe: Innate magic ability as opposed to learned or given.

#27 Posted by The Stegman (24629 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually think he's very, very strong as it is.

#28 Posted by lifeofvibe (3494 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by joshmightbe (24897 posts) - - Show Bio

cause he holds a hammer not the earth cough*superman*cough anyways he doest get his power from his strenght he gets hes power from his hammer wich is pretty stupid when you think about it

He does not get his power from his hammer, the hammer merely helps him focus his natural abilities and lets him fly. He was limited to needing his hammer when he first appeared in comics but that was a punishment he was released from over 20 years ago. Might want to know what you're talking about before you speak, novel idea I know but it prevents assholes like me from talking down to you like this.

#30 Posted by Wolverine08 (42788 posts) - - Show Bio

@lifeofvibe said:

He does not get his power from his hammer, the hammer merely helps him focus his natural abilities and lets him fly. He was limited to needing his hammer when he first appeared in comics but that was a punishment he was released from over 20 years ago. Might want to know what you're talking about before you speak, novel idea I know but it prevents assholes like me from talking down to you like this.

THIS.

#31 Posted by Thorverine (427 posts) - - Show Bio

Been a long time Thor reader, I usually get the impression that he has the potential to hit another level of ability, he just have to find it within himself. Hey but that's just me and my take.

#32 Edited by dum529001 (1630 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor is plenty powerful enough. He doesn't need to be the strongest. That's not what his character is about.

#33 Edited by New_World_Order (13235 posts) - - Show Bio

In my opinion Thor is in the top 5 most powerful Marvel characters currently alive on earth.

#34 Edited by Fifthchild (610 posts) - - Show Bio

@thorson said:

why can't THOR be stronger/powerful than everyone in the marvel/DC universe?

THOR

He could but why would that be a good idea beyond giving a couple of thousand hardcore Thor fanboys a temporary ego boost. I think his current/standard power level works fine. He's more or less as powerful as anyone else on Earth.

He perhaps "struggles" more than a Hulk/Superman because i think for many writers he is less about power than they are and they are characters who will solve 90% of their problems through raw displays of power. That might be a slightly controversial opinion though.

If there is a problem with Thor and power IMO its that he isnt even the most powerful character in his own book. I guess Odin adds to the "family drama" aspect but i think he is often more of a plot impediment than anything else. Better if Thor is the physical powerhouse of Asgard and Odin more of the wise ruler.

#35 Posted by PowerHerc (84331 posts) - - Show Bio

Well put!

Bravo.

#36 Edited by Glarinetta (253 posts) - - Show Bio

Because MARVEL sucks...

#37 Edited by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

because your rage is delicious.

#38 Posted by Wolverine08 (42788 posts) - - Show Bio

#39 Posted by Wolverine08 (42788 posts) - - Show Bio
#40 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

because your age is delicious.

Pedo!

Can I even be a Pedo at the age of 17? Huh, you learn something new every day. In which case run Wolvie, run and HIDE!

I also learned how a simple mistake can f*ck sh*t up.

#41 Posted by medulaoblaganda (949 posts) - - Show Bio

because it doesn't make any sense at all.

#42 Posted by drgnx (3564 posts) - - Show Bio

Because TOAA would have words with thee!

#43 Posted by Experio (16230 posts) - - Show Bio

For an insubstantial reason

#44 Edited by Jimishim12 (430 posts) - - Show Bio

I already have problems that he's magical and thusly no limits to what he can and can't do, you telling out of all the science based cosmic based wonders marvel throughs at us, Thor is beyond them in pure unimaginative power because he's a fucking norse deity Viking god? Thor is cool, but he's PIS because magic is fucking pointless in Marvel, and when I say pointless it's plot farting how Cosmic power is on the same grounds as near mystical force that from fiction should beat all the universal cosmic beings and forces. Even the living tribunal.