inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

During the Marvel Phase Three announcements, they set a date for a third Thor film, entitled "Thor: Ragnarok." The film will hit theaters on July 28th, 2017.

Here's where it gets a bit tricky. The word "Ragnarok" means a few things in the history of Thor. The first comes from a story line entitled "Ragnarok" from THOR #272-278. In this story, from 1978, the end of all the gods looms on the horizon Loki returns and the Midgard Serpent attacks. Thor, Sif, and the Warriors Three have to come together and stop the madness.

The second Ragnarok took place during Disassembled, where Asgard, its inhabitants, and Thor all seemingly die. The story took place in issues #80-85 during the 1998 volume of THOR.

Finally, Ragnarok appeared again in issue #3 of CIVIL WAR. Ragarok, this time, was a cyborg clone of Thor, who had all of his powers. The character was a pretty big part of the Civil War story line, so this version seems the most plausible. Maybe the real Thor has to fight the robotic Thor in the aftermath of Captain America: Civil War?

On July 28, 2017, Thor: Ragnarok hit theaters.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Really hope it's the end of the Norse Gods Ragnorak, not that stupid Cyborg Thor clone. This is exactly what I wanted the third Thor film to do. And honestly with such an epic premise, maybe this third Thor film can finally be really good instead of just decent for once.

Avatar image for comicvine_is_jericho529
comicvine_is_jericho529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@lvenger said:

Really hope it's the end of the Norse Gods Ragnorak, not that stupid Cyborg Thor clone. This is exactly what I wanted the third Thor film to do. And honestly with such an epic premise, maybe this third Thor film can finally be really good instead of just decent for once.

GLad you said it before i did. lol

That cyborg clone was the lamest part among other things in the epic civil war story.

Plus the way THor 2 ended im sure it won't be the cyborg clone.

kwt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: It will be the "Twilight of the Norse Gods", can't be the story of the stupid clone of the civil war, that would be a stupid plot to non comic book readers, that know the Norse Mythology!

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Saren

Ragnarok is a famous Norse legend, which is why it keeps popping up in Thor comics. It may not necessarily have anything to do with the arcs from the source material since it is basically just a buzzword for big apocalyptic happenings. Honestly, I don't know why they wouldn't use Surtur for a villain if they have him, particularly if they want to end the trilogy with a bang, but then somebody thought Malekith was a bright idea too.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Much like Cap 2, the title says quite a bit about the movie

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope that they do these right.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome! Finally! Thor 3!

Beata

movieartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

please god in heaven make this film dead serious and untoldly epic, please

@saren said:

Ragnarok is a famous Norse legend, which is why it keeps popping up in Thor comics. It may not necessarily have anything to do with the arcs from the source material since it is basically just a buzzword for big apocalyptic happenings. Honestly, I don't know why they wouldn't use Surtur for a villain if they have him, particularly if they want to end the trilogy with a bang, but then somebody thought Malekith was a bright idea too.

reason malekith did not work in the film, was in the comics he is very joker like court jestery, in the film verse, loki had that covered so they had to make him more serious which is not that bad a idea but he came off depthless dew to it, he was never a good choice even done right.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Lvenger

@saren said:

Malekith could have worked but the screenplay and story for The Dark World was weak. Plus it was basically "Thor and Loki: The Dynamic Duo." Marvel would be fools not to use Surtur or Ymir or Mangog or some other big Asgardian bad to round off the Thor trilogy. The Thor films have been middle of the road so far so they need something to make it an epic ending.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By MakkyD

@lvenger: Since the last phase, the Thor franchise has been the weak link, hopefully this film will change that.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: I hope so too. With a premise like Ragnorak, it's hard to go wrong.

kwt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Kevin Feige confirmed that Loki will return, played for the fourth time by Tom Hiddleston. "This is a very important movie for us in Phase 3," said Marvel's Kevin Feige. "We plan on taking Thor to another level. It picks up where we leave Thor in Avengers: Age of Ultron and impacts everything that comes after."

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Awesomesauce! I know this may sound crazy, but would it be awesome if Angela (and maybe Lady Thor) made an appearance?! Plus it would be cool of Enchantress, the Executioner, and Balder appeared as well.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope Darcy dies in this one. That will INSTANTLY make this a good movie.

Beata

kwt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesomesauce! I know this may sound crazy, but would it be awesome if Angela (and maybe Lady Thor) made an appearance?! Plus it would be cool of Enchantress, the Executioner, and Balder appeared as well.

Movies are very different from comics Angela can't fit Thor movies story line, and she Thor will probably be Freyja/Frigga Thor adoptive mom, she is dead in the MCU!

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No Kat Dennings or Natalie Portman, and this film will be perfect.

kwt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ostyo said:

No Kat Dennings or Natalie Portman, and this film will be perfect.

Exactly!!! Some rumors point out that in Avengers 2 Thor and Jane are separated, with some luck this goofy characters (Darcy and Jane) don't even appear in Thor 3!

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By TheMantisShrimp

I have no idea if he is a necessary character for any of the aforementioned Ragnarok storylines but I want to see a live action version of Beta Ray Bill along with Skuttlebutt.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

Calling it now: Thanos comes to Asgard and kills Odin/Loki after Sutur is stopped by Thor and his merr friends.

DarkKnightwing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By DarkKnightwing

Thor"dies" in Age of Ultron and we get to see a cyborg/ Thor clone being built by Tony in the credits. This Thor goes to Asgard, tells Odin he is a clone and not robot and is tasked with defeating the serpent to prove himself. He succeeds but is infected with "magic virus" which makes him "mil" the gods, but the real Thor returns, avengers them and returns the gods to life, but with Loki as a girl.

westy206

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By westy206

Hopefully Asgard is being destroyed.

Loki has fully embraced his evil side and has his generals Enchantress, Skurge & Hela. He releases Surtur onto Asgard, Thor and his friends fight the best they can and when all looks lost Heimdell calls upon a few Olympian palls to help just turning the tide the slightest amount. Odin fights off Surtur, Thor vs Loki Warriors Three vs Enchantress and her followers, Hercules vs Skurge and Sif with Valkyrie vs Hela on an epic finale.

That's what I hope for.

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's possible the Ragnarok of the title doesn't correlate with an existing Thor storyline, like Age of Ultron. Having said that, I'm hoping for the original 1978 version, only with the Enchantress (Amora, not Lushton) attacking Asgard with the Midgard Serpent.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By SilverPool

I hope that they do these right.

So much this.

I didn't care for Thor 2, but really want to see them give us a bad**s Thor movie!

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Cool I'm excited.

The_Scourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is amazing news! The scale of the Ragnarok storyline is waaaaay too big though so they might have a hard time pulling it off but if they do, this could be one of the most epic films of all time!

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This movie is going to be epic.

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mjolnirson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

they are killing Thor... they will not use him in Avengers Infinity War... that's another disrespect from Marvel!!!! yes, yes, i know that Ragnarok was one of the best comics of Thor, but ag... however that fits pretty well, the end of Asgard means that Thanos can take no problems the infinity gauntlet and the tesseract.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453
deactivated-5d9fc01f2e453

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would kill to see a version of the God Butcher storyline put to film. But I can settle for Ragnarok. Here's hoping this film will remember that Odin has no less than 3 other sons to feature.

mjolnirson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i can bet that Surtur is ahead, but if marvel wants to make me happy they will bring Gorr the Motherf**** God Butcher. if they do that the woman thor can be forgiven jajaja

Avatar image for cosmicallyaware1
cosmicallyaware1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

If it follows the Thor:Disassembled storyline it would be EPIC. I consider that to be one of the greatest Thor stories ever told.

Agreed with other comments here that this installment needs to have Surtur and Beta Ray Bill at least. Should've seen them before now.

jackbensley777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

This should be awesome, i just want him to grow a beard or shave fully though... also is it too hard too create a nice looking helmet

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MAZAHS117  Online

Amora, Executioner & Surtur or GTFO

Wolfus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it follows the Thor:Disassembled storyline it would be EPIC. I consider that to be one of the greatest Thor stories ever told.

Agreed with other comments here that this installment needs to have Surtur and Beta Ray Bill at least. Should've seen them before now.

Isn't the Thor: disassembled arc considered one of the best thor stories by, like, everyone? I loved it as well. I'm hoping that it's that story the movie is going to be about.

Unfortunately, I highly doubt it. It has a lot of magic, a big participation of the odinforce(which was never explained in the movies), and asgard in MCU seems more about some weird technology than magic. Which kind of bothers me.

That said, I have no idea who they'll work with ragnarok. But let's hope for an awesome thor movie, instead of the average movies we've been given.

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

#36  Edited By Black_Claw

@kwt: or if they do appear, maybe the serpent can kill them.

kwt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@black_claw: Darcy and Jane would instantly die of scare if they saw Jörmungandr!

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

i hope i don't die for along while. I want to see these movies.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

surtur has to be in this.

and they better not screw up. This may be THOR's last outing on the big screen excluding avengers 3

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is Marvel, not DC. Granted, Marvel movies have their genuine no-nonsense moments, but "serious epics" are not in their profile. Don't get your hopes up

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By HaveAtThee

Makes sense that they're going to kill off the Asgardians. They've done NOTHING in the franchise thus far. The Asgardian corner of the MCU is a joke considering the characters involved. My guess is that a huge war breaks out against Surtur and Thanos uses the chaos to arrive, beat the piss out of Thor and Odin and take the Infinity Gauntlet from the weapons vault. Marvel execs probably feel that it's easier to market a cosmic/space franchise like Guardians of the Galaxy than a fantasy/magic one like Thor.

I'd LOL if somehow Jane Foster and Darcy got a hold of the Infinity Gauntlet and used it against Thanos. Knowing Marvel they'd think that's hilarious. If "Ragnarok" is the end of the Asgardians, at least give them a more epic finale and let Thor go out in style. Forget all the Earth-bound romantic comedy crap like in "Dark World." That movie was a joke.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#42  Edited By 2chimcha3

I was hoping for Surtur or a Hela story. Haven't read this story but it looks awesome; time to start reading more of my favorite Marvel character.

Avatar image for asgardianxeno929
AsgardianXeno929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fiege specifically said ragnarok means "the end of all things" and marvel will make sure by the time thor 3 comes out, everyone will know what it means, and it will have a huge effect on the future films.

Avatar image for asgardianxeno929
AsgardianXeno929

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

:OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Thor will see a vision of ragnarok in age of ultron when scarlet witch shows everyone visions! and then maybe after ragnarok thanos will have a chance to snatch the infinity gauntlet and tesseract, or loki has been doing a long con and is pretending to be odin so he can cause ragnarok and in the chaos take the gauntlet and tesseract for thanos?

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just don't have Darcy take up more screen time than the villain and I think we'll be fine. Now if Darcy were to also be in a bikini I wouldn't complain either :P

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel they have missed the opportunity to show other realms. I dont know why it had to be on earth. Especially the second one. Hope they do that with this one.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

the most interesting thing is how wrong everyone has been in pronouncing ragnarok. been hearing it all my life and this is the first time I've heard people say it wrong lol and not just wrong but struggle with it like they are saying that mary poppins word I wont even try to spell lol. hope it will be the thor film I've always wanted: magic, adventure and nothing but asgard as a setting. oh and a little Valkyrie and enchantress love would be cherry on top

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Winter_Kills

This is amazing news! The scale of the Ragnarok storyline is waaaaay too big though so they might have a hard time pulling it off but if they do, this could be one of the most epic films of all time!

Totally agreed, can be a supremely epic movie if done right, now that GOTG has expanded things on a cosmic scale. (Esp. if the rumors of Thor being separated from Jane, her & Darcy really bring the movies down.) I'm hoping a version of Simonson's "Ragnarok & Roll" & "Raganarok & Ruin" can be adapted for this, with Surtur & the fire-demons of Muspelheim being unleashed; maybe have Loki(disguised as Odin) doing his thing with Enchantress & Skurge as lieutenants, then maybe have Thor & Loki fight together(with the real Odin) to stop Surtur, just like in that epic storyline, with Odin's demise at the climactic conclusion. Lots of possibilities though, many different variations of the Ragnarok story in the Thor mythos, hope they really reach into the actual Norse mythology as well. Just glad there's going to be a Thor 3; I think now there's great opportunity to get things right & really capture the epicness of Thor. I know it can be done, & I know Marvel Studios can do it!! As a long-time Thorrior(my term for a Thor fan) this has me feeling like this:

No Caption Provided

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So many good ideas by posters on this article for what the Thor: Ragonorak should be like. Marvel better not screw this up, this is the one chance they have to make the Thor films truly good.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By THORSON

@reactor said:

@movieartman said:

This is Marvel, not DC. Granted, Marvel movies have their genuine no-nonsense moments, but "serious epics" are not in their profile. Don't get your hopes up

Cap 2 I found was fun yet serious. Have hope.