So how strong is thor

• 57 results
ben_coby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I have been reading a lot of threads and any time the name thor is mentioned it seems his strenght is all over the place, so i want to know

how strong he is really.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By JonSmith

Strong enough to go toe to toe with the Hulk and end it with a draw.

Strong enough to grapple with the Prince of Power himself, Hercules.

Strong enough to lift half of Asgard.

Strong enough to lift the Midgard Serpent, Jormungandr, a snake so large it coils around the planet Earth.

Pretty ****ing strong.

JJ62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By JJ62

Strong enough to match a base Hulk. Granted, Hulk can get stronger and win. But I would consider Thor his equal in the early phases.

ben_coby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonsmith but how much does asgard weigh?

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#5 SC  Moderator

Strong enough to rip a Big Mac in half then throw it at Loki.

Strong enough to watch all of Braveheart and not shed a tear.

Strong enough. Strong enough. How strong? Strong enough.

JonSmith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ben_coby said:

but how much does asgard weigh?

Dunno, let me get my city sized scale.

ben_coby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ok thanks guys.

ben_coby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonsmith ok them get it so that i can know the weight

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

GunGunW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By GunGunW

His hammer is his main focus.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By HaveAtThee

There are a ton of Thor threads with listings and scans of his feats. Suffice to say, he is incredibly strong.

ben_coby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ben_coby

@gungunw: i do not think his hammer gives him his strength. what i meant was some say he is strong enough to destroy the earth while some people say he can not so it becomes inconsistent. So i was speaking purely of his strength.

Ministurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Writen correctly he can bust and move planets. He was able to physicaly hurt Galactus, something that only hight teir beings can do. Also if he can fight Gladiator evenly and kill the Sentry, he is indeed strong.

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

@gungunw:

His hammer only gives him the power to fly and move fast.

GunGunW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ben_coby: @perethorn: I never said his hammer gave him strength, all I said was that his hammer is his main focus. Which is true.

ben_coby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gungunw said:

@ben_coby: @perethorn: I never said his hammer gave him strength, all I said was that his hammer is his main focus. Which is true.

Fair enough. But i also think that without his hammer he should be able to use his strength to gain advantage in sticky situations, instead of always relying on his hammer.

ben_coby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Writen correctly he can bust and move planets. He was able to physicaly hurt Galactus, something that only hight teir beings can do. Also if he can fight Gladiator evenly and kill the Sentry, he is indeed strong.

From all i have read i think this feat is questionable, since sentry allowed himself to be killed but if i am wrong you can correct me.

Ministurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He did want to die but still even hurting him is a big feat leat alone killing him for example Orion wants to die he's not going to be any harder to kill than if he is happy and dosen't fight back.

ben_coby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ministurt

but he is going to be easier to kill when he has been weakene by a hellicarrier blast while fighting the whole avengers team .

Avatar image for fernando072295reborn
Fernando072295REBORN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's stronger than wonderwoman and weaker than superman. More or less in that range.

ben_coby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ben_coby

@Fernando072295REBORN He's stronger than wonderwoman

and weaker than superman. More

or less in that range.

but i thought wonderwoman is a little stronger or the same level as superman, so by this logic thor is stronger than them both.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's stronger than wonderwoman and weaker than superman. More or less in that range.

I'd say he is on par with Superman. Both he and Thor had ridiculous amounts of strength and powers in the Silver Age, and have been greatly depowered since. The main difference is that DC has no qualms about letting everyone know who their main powerhouse is, whereas Marvel have time and again ignored continuity at will merely to serve whatever story is being published. It's why there will forever be ambiguity about the whole Thor/Hulk rivalry in terms of strength (although the perception these last few years heavily favors Hulk in that department).

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By HaveAtThee

Well, both Hulk and Thor have varied greatly over the decades as to how strong they truly are. I'd say Hulk has a much more consistent string of strength feats while Thor's top-end feats are slightly more impressive, if that makes sense. Regardless, hardcore comic fans know that both characters are Marvel's main powerhouses. Marvel's writers and editors have generally toyed around with this concept at the behest of whatever story is going on at the time. Their counterparts at DC might have Superman job in the beginning of a big crossover, but everyone knows who's going to make the big save/display of strength/power at the end of the day.

To stay on topic, Thor has had few showings of pure strength in the past decade or so. Marvel writers have seemingly ignored and/or forgotten that he is a major powerhouse in terms of strength. They seem more hellbent on portraying him as the God of Thunder which means lots of throwing Mjolnir and calling down lightning (presumably to sell action figures and Mjolnir toys). Plus if you have Thor and Hulk in the same comic (like Avengers), Hulk's main gig is being the self-proclaimed "strongest one there is" so he's going to get the major strength feats.

ben_coby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HaveAtThee. well said.

@TheAcidSkull. dont you think that at base strenght thor is stronger. But if hulk gets mad enough he may become stronger. Also i do not think he would be strong enough to overpower thor though.

ben_coby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@TheAcidSkullokay, I think he has gotten some power ups since, and has gotten stronger at base but i still dont think he is stronger than thor at base.

If he got mad enough hmmm, i think by what you have proven maybe they may stalemate but not overpower each other in strenght.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ben_coby:

First of all let me ask...

Which is greater?

A. the energy required to pull earth out its orbit of the sun

OR

B. the energy required to reverse the planet's orbit, therefore pushing back and overpowering the electromagnetic force the sun puts on the earth?

The answer is B.

If you would actually read it, this is exactly what the Hulk is shown doing in this comic scan:

Overpowering a field of energy endowed with sufficient power to change the orbit of a planet(Tales to Astonish#89)

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

Hulk has the power to move a planet at baseline.

The fact that the field strength needed to be increased is proof that Hulk was contesting that kind of power.

Even so, Hulk showed power to overcome a planet's kinetic energy, which is better than overcoming the force it has while it's just sitting there in its static state.

It takes 632 quadrillion 850 trillion megatons(6.3285*10^17) just to stop the earth's orbit. Hulk overpowered energy that could not only stop a planet's orbit but reverse it as well, which means Hulk was able to put out even more power than that.

At a second meeting years later, The Stranger recognize that Hulk was even stronger than before because once again, Hulk shrugs off the energy that the Stranger uses in an attempt to render him motionless in Marvel Two-In-One annual #2:

No Caption Provided

Here's Hulk doing a feat of great cosmic proportions once again:

Applying force to the space-time structure itself to prevent the Defenders from being absorbed into a fissure (Defenders#3)(with the size of the singularity estimated in about seven feets according to the Schwarzschild radius, then it's mass/gravitational attraction, by the equivalence principle, is thus equivalent to roughly two hundreds Earths),

No Caption Provided

Hulk is just as strong as Thor at base-level.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By the_red_viper  Moderator

He can beat Superman in a 1 VS 1 combat if it answers your question.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We can argue all day about the whole "Who's Stronger?" argument between Hulk and Thor, but that issue will always be "mired" in ambiguity, and for good reason, since historically it's been one of Marvel's greatest hero v. hero rivalries. I personally appreciate how that issue will probably never be definitively settled. A lasting image in my mind is the brilliant panel where Thor and Hulk are locked in a hold where neither man can move the other for more than an hour straight (Defenders #10). That's a raging Hulk and a beefed Thor mind you. I'd love to see a mini-series outside of whatever continuity exists featuring the two characters. For writers I'd have Peter David and Dan Jurgens, with art provided by either Esad Ribic or Marc Silvestri. It could be an ode to both characters and their relationship to each other and to Marvel as a whole.

ben_coby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dum529001 The Stranger himself said the rays can change the orbit of a planet, but what i want to ask is

1. How long was hulk in the ray, since the longer he stays in the ray the madder and stronger he gets.

2. Did he get out of it? no. since from what i saw from your scan, he was still in it fighting his way and getting madder and stronger.

The second time they met i think hulk showed he was stronger.

The last scan is showing the same. Hulk is not as strong as thor but may get mad enough to stalemate.

ben_coby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_Red_Viper What are you talking about i never mentioned superman. and why would you even bring him up.

@HaveAtThee i think both characters are great, but hulk is loosing respect on the vine, because of how writers overpower him of late making other characters look bad for him to look good.

I like your idea for such a story between this two heros, i dont know much about the writers and artist you mentioned but i think it wount matter.

What do you think about bendis writing such a story though?

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 the_red_viper  Moderator

@ben_coby said:

@The_Red_Viper What are you talking about i never mentioned superman. and why would you even bring him up.

You asked how strong Thor really is.

I said he's strong enough to beat Superman. Which means pretty damn strong.

I was just answering your question dude, relax...

ben_coby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@The_Red_Viper I am relaxed man. Its just that i am tired of Superman vs Thor threads.

If you are saying that thor beats superman because of strenght, there is a counter arguement. which is that superman is too fast to be tagged, there in comes the speed blitz arguement.so Thor' strenght is useless against superman. I do not back this argument though since I think its cheap and Thor has reaction time.

Also my question was targeted to whether if Thor could replicate some of superman's strenght feats.

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 the_red_viper  Moderator

@ben_coby: When it comes to physical strength alone, I think Thor can do just as good as Superman.

ben_coby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ben_coby

The_Red_Viper Okay then, people have also proven that with some scans i have seen.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ben_coby said:

@HaveAtThee i think both characters are great, but hulk is loosing respect on the vine, because of how writers overpower him of late making other characters look bad for him to look good.

I like your idea for such a story between this two heros, i dont know much about the writers and artist you mentioned but i think it wount matter.

What do you think about bendis writing such a story though?

No, no, no, no and probably no for Bendis writing such a mini-series. He's AWFUL at writing powerful characters, especially if they're not enjoying a slice of pizza with other heroes. Bendis does best with grounded, realistic stories not over-the-top superhero fare. He ignores major factors about characters to suit whatever story he wants to tell at that moment.

I chose Jurgens and David because they're both mainly remembered for critically acclaimed runs on Thor and Hulk which greatly influenced both characters. Unlike the current trend by writers to totally hijack characters for a particular plot, Jurgens and David both respected their respective characters and included them in some creative stories that still resonate with many comic fans who are still fond of the pre-Civil War era.

ben_coby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@HaveAtThee LOL, I was also thinking no. But i also do not know why marvel still allows him to write powerful characters, which limits the character.

So did Jurgens and David write anything on the characters during pre-civil war?. I have been also been looking to know more on the civil war, as to what happened.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By HaveAtThee

Absolutely. Dan Jurgens' run on Thor lasted for over eighty issues leading into "Disassembled." It's considered one of the finer runs on the character since the sixties.

ben_coby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice one, then i guess some of that would have also been classic Thor. And back then too, i think he was much more interesting with the versatility of his powers.

Fernando072295REBORN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Hulk is the strongest there is. His very nature makes it so no hero has an edge on him in strength. Thor was > and then some from his base form back in the day though.

@ben_coby: she's not. Superman is noticeably stronger than her. She's a mid herald while Superman is peak high herald. That's not saying Diana can't seriously injure or even beat Superman though.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To add to this, Thor in the most recent issue prevented a planet from a cataclysmic explosion by sheer strength alone. It was quite impressive considering he was brawling with Gorr the whole time. Thor shows off incredible strength and speed in the current issue.

ben_coby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ben_coby

@Fernando072295REBORN

That is still debatable, since most people have proven she is stronger and faster. I do believe that she can hurt or even beat him irrespective of whose favor this arguement goes.

Fernando072295REBORN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ben_coby: stronger AND faster than Superman? I'd be genuinely interested to see what feats are being provided that let them come to that conclusion.

Agreed. I just think Superman would beat her more often than not.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not to hijack the thread, but Superman is stronger than Wonder Woman, and I don't think it's debatable really. History is on Kal-El's side, but that's a debate for an entirely different forum.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 1

@ben_coby: she's not. Superman is noticeably stronger than her. She's a mid herald while Superman is peak high herald. That's not saying Diana can't seriously injure or even beat Superman though.

Yeah,it's actually true that WW is weaker than Clark,but she can still Beat him...especially due to her combat skills

ben_coby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cameron83: @haveatthee:

@ben_coby: stronger AND faster than Superman? I'd be genuinely interested to see what feats are being provided that let them come to that conclusion.

Agreed. I just think Superman would beat her more often than not.

Hmmm i have heard all you guys have said. Really, okay what about speed/ combat speed i think she would be better in that department don't you guys think that?

Avatar image for captnmcdeadpool
captnmcdeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers