Odin Unworthy?

GeekyEverAfter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Recently I've become a really big fan of Thor and I've been doing a lot of research on his creation and origin. I've also been reading a bit of the new Thor title on YouTube. But to get to the point of me making this thread, I want to know why Odin, the all father of asgardian gods and the one who put the enchantment on Mjolnir himself, is unworthy to wield the hammer in Thor #1? I'm new to this so I'm just wondering is it something I missed? Bad writing? Help me out here fellow Thor fans.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Bad writing. It is something that hasn't been explained yet, Odin should never be unworthy or unable to lift the hammer.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Asgaard

P.I.S. (Bad writing)

(Aaron's Odin & Ewing's Odin in Loki: AOA #11 are like 2 different characters)

Aron's Odin is a irrational human, and Ewing's Odin is the Wise all Father of Asgard, just read Female Thor issue 5 and Loki issue 11...

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

Bad writing. It is something that hasn't been explained yet, Odin should never be unworthy or unable to lift the hammer.

Thor Odinson fans run Aaron's Female Thor P.I.S. Gauntlet.

1 Whisper

2 Odin Unworthy

3 Thor quits on his own identity

4 Odin the All-Wise behaves like a irrational Human

5 Aaron uses Absorbing Man allegory to insult Thor fans

I m a big big fan i just stop at 5...

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Because the feminist f'ed things up

Xenonyte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Xenonyte

@asgaard said:

@jayc1324 said:

Thor Odinson fans run Aaron's Female Thor P.I.S. Gauntlet.

1 Whisper

2 Odin Unworthy

3 Thor quits on his own identity

4 Odin the All-Wise behaves like a irrational Human

5 Aaron uses Absorbing Man allegory to insult Thor fans

I m a big big fan i just stop at 5...

This^

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

It's not bad writing until the plot mechanic and the identity of the new Thor is revealed. Until then, it's just a story you're not a fan of.

mcdavid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By mcdavid

@geekyeverafter said:

Recently I've become a really big fan of Thor and I've been doing a lot of research on his creation and origin. I've also been reading a bit of the new Thor title on YouTube. But to get to the point of me making this thread, I want to know why Odin, the all father of asgardian gods and the one who put the enchantment on Mjolnir himself, is unworthy to wield the hammer in Thor #1? I'm new to this so I'm just wondering is it something I missed? Bad writing? Help me out here fellow Thor fans.

I'm a bit hazy at the moment on the enchantment lifting specifics, but technically Odin's worthiness should not even come into play for "current" Mjolnir. The main reason why Odin could command such control over Mjolnir in the past was because classic Mjolnir was imbued with a fraction of his power/life-force.

However when Mjolnir was shattered during the Ragnarok event Thor went through a similar process in order to restore it, contributing some of his own life-force/ power during the weapon's reforging and thus bonding it to him forever (until his or the weapon's "death" at least). It's important to note the weapon was reforged when Thor was in his Rune King form and thus an all-father himself as well. His magical abilities at that point would have surpassed those of Odin's.

No Caption Provided

Now that might be a leap in logic, but one might assume Odin's previous enchantment and the energies he vested in the weapon would have been quintessentially lifted upon the weapon's reforging. Thus making Mjolnir truly Thor's weapon once and for all, and finally independent of the whims and desires of his father (who's deceased at this point of the story anyway).

Now that is/ was my understanding of current Mjolnir until the whisper. It's also possible I missed something in between the ragnarok series and now that could explain why the reforging's consequences might have been reversed. Or maybe Odin's power/life-force never truly left the hammer even after getting shattered/reforged.

Either way, canonically only Thor and potentially still Odin could exert control over the hammer so it's hard not to be confused about the whole affair.

Eitherway the hammer's gone full rogue at this current moment, and it's either all hinging on some obscure canon fact that most readers have forgotten/neglected OR it's complete PIS blatantly ignoring cannon continuity.

So just to resume what we know (or think we do) so far:

1) Odin created the hammer and vested some of himself into it.

2) Odin placed the enchantment because son was being a brat.

3) Odin lifts the enchantment because is no longer a brat.

4) Hammer gets broken during Ragnarok

5) Thor reforges hammer when he was in his most powerful form, and goes though a similar process as his father did during initial forging.

6) Thor returns from the void and brings back asgard/asgardia (all the stuff in the past 5 or so years)

7) Original Sin Event and whisper/rise of newThor.

So yeah, current events don't really match up with past continuity.

I know some people suspect either the all-mother/ future Loki/ Cul or some other powerful asgardian to be responsible of foul-play. However I don't really find it credible that any asgardian/ 9 realms character would be able to overthrow something magically binded/enchanted by both Odin AND Rune King Thor.

In fact, the ONLY real suspect in this affair would be Surtur as he was the one who assisted RKT in Mjolnir's reforging and he is the one of the only candidates powerful enough to challenge an all-father's authority, strength and magic. I would also point out the current Malekith war pact with the frost giants was "signed" in Muspelheim where Surtur resides. So in my eyes, that not only means he has the means and motives to do such a thing but it also "places" him at the scene of the crime.

No Caption Provided

It's just a theory, but it would add up canonically. I know the "war" pact was signed long after Ragnarok but it would not be impossible that he planted a "weakness" in the hammer for him to exploit later on when an opportunity presents itself.

So let's just assume for a second it is what happened, the only questions we would have in regards to the hammer would be: "How did Nick Fury get hold of this information and why do Surtur's bidding?" and "why now"?

Anyway, that's the ONLY way I could see this story go in order to respect the established continuity and it would absolve Aaron of many of the critics he has received recently.

Anyway chances are I'm completely wrong haha, and Aaron is just doing what Aaron wants. Nonetheless I thought it would be interesting to see if there was any angle the canonised lore could support Aaron's story.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you go deeper maybe Nick was never Nick , Odin was not Odin and the hammer is still on the moon and truly is not the hammer just some close replicate of the hammer. Forged was two hammers and you only see the one.

Some where is the true Mjolnir screaming out to the void come save me and her ghost stands beside a lone stranded hammer looking down on the earth waiting and wondering where Thor went.

one can only wonder.