Note to Marvel - I think you just killed the Thor comic

Allaric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Not many girls read comics because they are more into literature and not picture books. all my female co-workers and friends have read 50 shades of grey , not a single one has read a comic book , male or female super hero. If you are doing a Thor gender swap just to put more T&A for boys , well that what you have Emma Frost and the X-women for. Marvel you are not going to net any more sales and in the end you will have killed what interest there had been, f u Marvel.

Glarinetta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allaric said:

Not many girls read comics because they are more into literature and not picture books. all my female co-workers and friends have read 50 shades of grey , not a single one has read a comic book , male or female super hero. If you are doing a Thor gender swap just to put more T&A for boys , well that what you have Emma Frost and the X-women for. Marvel you are not going to net any more sales and in the end you will have killed what interest there had been, f u Marvel.

Avatar image for v_scarlotte_rose
V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

@allaric said:

Apparently 46.67% of comic book fans are female.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@allaric said:

This has to be one of the saddest attempts at a post that I've ever read. Oh, and I love how you created a sock puppet account to post it. Real classy.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, was there this many threads when Superiot came out?

Beata

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@squares said:

@allaric said:

This has to be one of the saddest attempts at a post that I've ever read. Oh, and I love how you created a sock puppet account to post it. Real classy.

It's not sad at all. He opposes an unnecessary change which is pandering to Feminist propoganda.

KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KittyParker13

I've met several female comic book fans. It's amazing at the comic book store, once there were more women in the store than men. I don't know if it's a regional thing, but I'd believe that 46.67% of fans are women.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@kittyparker13 said:

I've met several female comic book fans. It's amazing at the comic book store, once there were more women in the store than men. I don't know if it's a regional thing, but I'd believe that 46.67% of fans are women.

I'm sure that's representative of 46.67% female comic-book readers......

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Verily.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen said:

@squares said:

@allaric said:

It's not sad at all. He opposes an unnecessary change which is pandering to Feminist propoganda.

What exactly is feminist propaganda?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By danhimself

this is exactly the type of crap people were spewing when Superior was announced and look how well that did....they haven't killed anything

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 frozen  Moderator

@v_scarlotte_rose: This.

Marvel is excited to announce an all-new era for the God of Thunder in brand new series, THOR, written by Jason Aaron (Thor: God of Thunder, Original Sin) complimented with art from Russell Dauterman (Cyclops).

This October, Marvel Comics evolves once again in one of the most shocking and exciting changes ever to shake one of Marvel’s "big three" – Captain American, Iron Man and Thor – Marvel Comics will be introducing an all-new THOR, GOD OF THUNDER. No longer is the classic male hero able to hold the mighty hammer, Mjölnir, a brand new female hero will emerge will who will be worthy of the name THOR. Who is she? Where did she come from and what is her connection to Asgard and the Marvel Universe?

"The inscription on Thor’s hammer reads ‘Whosoever holds this hammer, if HE be worthy, shall possess the power of Thor.’ Well it’s time to update that inscription," says Marvel editor Wil Moss. "The new Thor continues Marvel’s proud tradition of strong female characters like Captain Marvel, Storm, Black Widow and more. And this new Thor isn’t a temporary female substitute – she’s now the one and only Thor, and she is worthy!"

Series writer Jason Aaron emphasizes, "This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR. This is the THOR of the Marvel Universe. But it’s unlike any Thor we’ve ever seen before."

THOR is the latest in the ever-growing and long list of female-centric titles that continues to invite new readers into the Marvel Universe. This female THOR is the 8th title to feature a lead female protagonist and aims to speak directly to an audience that long was not the target for Super Hero comic books in America: women and girls.

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: Surely this is just a statement that reflects the story that Jason Aaron has decided to tell. How can they be pandering to propaganda if they created the propaganda after the decision was made?

I'm not even sure if this could count as "feminist propaganda". Will this mislead people in to thinking women should have more rights and representation?

Also, if you see this as pandering to women, do you regard the only Marvel solo characters constantly in print being men, as pandering to men?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@v_scarlotte_rose: How is it not pandering to Feminist propoganda? Creating a new female character or expanding an already female character is fine. Unnecessarily altering an all-time great character for the sake of trying to expand to female readers and to then say ''a woman can be Thor'' for justification is pandering. Just as Black Wally West is an attempt to pander to Black readers, or Gay Alan Scott is an attempt to pander to Gay people.

And people who oppose female Thor are labelled 'Sexist', or who oppose Black Wally are 'Racist'.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

V_Scarlotte_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: Because Jason Aaron said he wanted to a story where Thor gets replaced. This isn't just, "let's put a woman in Thors shoes". It could probably just have easily been a male character taking over.

It's not the same as Wally West and Alan Scott. Wally West was changed, and Alan Scott either was changed or developed differently. Thor is just being temporarily replaced. Nothing is happening to original Thor, except that he can't pick up Mjolnir.

Thor is being replaced because of plot, Alan Scott is gay because Jade and Obsidian were removed, and they didn't want to lose out on a gay character. No idea what the thought process behind Wally West was though.

If people object to the characters because they're female or black, they probably are sexist or racist. Objecting to them for other reasons doesn't make them sexist and racist though.

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Thor will back to normal in 18 months max and then you angry people can complain about something else.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Are you saying comic books aren't able to be (good) literature?

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Thor will back to normal in 18 months max and then you angry people can complain about something else.

But then why make the change in the first place? That's one reason why fans are so upset and annoyed about this. Because come the next Marvel film, Aaron will give the male Thor Mjolnir back just like Peter Parker returned before Amazing Spider-Man 2 during Superior Spider-Man. That way, Marvel can get an influx of sales from the desire to see the male Thor just like sales for The Amazing Spider-Man 1 sky-rocketed to over 500,000.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

Too obvious.

0/10

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@lvenger:

Comics do this type of thing pretty frequently. One major flaw is that the big two rarely understand how intelligent their consumer base is and feel the need to pander to us. Such is life. That and our desires will always come second to sales and like it or not, this will sell well in the beginning and do okay toward it's end. (I imagine it starting off around at least 75-80 thousand and tapering off around 25-30) It isn't worth the outrage when you know it will return to normal. Besides the unworthy Thor is interesting. His design is amazing and IM interested in his story and to see his other powers be expounded upon.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

Nah

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@frozen said:

@squares said:

@allaric said:

No, what he's doing is saying that women only read stuff like Fifty Shades of Grey. That's goddamn insulting.

And saying the X-women are just T&A is...I don't even know what that is.

NoJoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone at Marvel must've had a Thor fetish...

Allaric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Allaric

@squares:

squares ..

"No, what he's doing is saying that women only read stuff like Fifty Shades of Grey. That's goddamn insulting. And saying the X-women are just T&A is...I don't even know what that is."

No what I said is what is printed right there "all my female co-workers and friends have read 50 shades of grey , not a single one has read a comic book" this is a fact one you can't refute. I let my co workers know that you are actually "goddamn insulted" that they don't read comics but read 50 Shades of Grey and they said to tell you" to get a life and to pick up a book and learn to read ", also you are the one who thinks X-women are "just" T&A , because you said that , not me.

So today I dropped by the comic store to tell them I'm canceling all my Marvel titles. At the register in front of me was a college student buying comics and his girl friend was with him. I asked the girl if any of the comics her boy friend was buying were hers , she said No she DOESNT read comics, she did say "I used to read Xena" so I told her that the Thor comic was going to be a female character would you buy and read that she said "No I'm not interested in the Thor character". I said really but She would be a lot like Xena , she said it doesn't matter she has no interest in a female Thor.

This comic store is in a town with 2 college campuses within a 15 minute drive of it, on both campuses females out number males by about 3000, 3000 more females than males combined. I asked the owner of the comic store ,who's been there about 20 years, about what percent of his customers are female he said about 10% and of his comic subscription titles about 2% of the total are female buyers. This goes directly to what I know about comic readers and the Thor comic. There isn't even a small a group of Thor fans out there wishing Thor was a female, and there is no interest among females for a female Thor. If you want attract more females to comics then create new characters that have the qualities females are interested in.

Staying on this theme females and Thor here's a opinion about the changing Thor to female written by a female writer..

"I wonder if Thor is Angry", by bluebird

"So. Female Thor. Needless to say proper fans have already been forming their opinions. But as a woman with an admiration for comic book characters and, as something of a writer, I feel I can weigh in here. What the hell! No really. What the hell are Marvel thinking? You don't just change a well established character like that."

"Also. To attract more female readers you need to break the association of comic books being for nerdy boys, not warp a beloved character, and established cash cow." "I will not suddenly start reading Thor just because the character is a woman."

"So I fully appreciate that it is very hard not to make something, a written work especially, seem racist and in some cases sexist and that some things need to be changed to fit a different medium. But you don't just change everything that the original creator set down just so that you won't be hated, or so you can appeal to a wider market. If it bothers you that much then you create something yourself to avoid those concerns or to appeal to that market. You don't alter something that someone loved just so suit your needs. It really bugs me."

The entire post can be found here ...http://www.online-literature.com/forums/entry.php?13415-I-Wonder-If-Thor-s-Angry

This plan of Marvel's will end in complete failure , ending the Thor title completely.

RaynorJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allaric: But Marvel stated that no matter the negativity from the fans they will keep this new change running for YEARS to come.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The whole concept just doesn't make any sense . Thor isn't a title it's his damn name . & wasn't mjolnir bound to his life force ? How the hell can anyone pick it up but him now ? It's stupid .

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Apparently 46.67% of comic book fans are female.

I imagine that statistic's similar to the one that arrived at the conclusion that nearly 50% of gamers are female by placing the people who play Mafia Wars on Facebook in the same category as the people who play GTA and Halo. A figure like that does provoke some head-scratching as to why female-led ongoings routinely struggle to cross 30K in sales if half the market consists of women. Unless you're Harley Quinn.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The whole concept just doesn't make any sense . Thor isn't a title it's his damn name . & wasn't mjolnir bound to his life force ? How the hell can anyone pick it up but him now ? It's stupid .

People can pick it up without an issue. The thing about his life-force being bound to Mjolnir just means he'll die if the hammer ever breaks again.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: what do you mean people can pick it up without an issue?

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

@saren: what do you mean people can pick it up without an issue?

I mean if someone's worthy, they can pick up the hammer and it won't kill Thor or anything. Captain America picked it up during Fear Itself and Thor didn't die. Well, he did, but not because of that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: oh, I thought you meant that just anybody could pick it up

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@justthatkid: it was just announced, see if that hype is there in October.

kasino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

did you ask how many of your male coworkers read comics?

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#38  Edited By THORSON

too many people have sand in their pants.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By FearTheLiving

@allaric: Note to allaric - I think you're overreacting!

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wait wait wait WAAAAAAAIT, my favorite comic book character (after Batman of course) becomes a woman? HOW AND WHY?

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wait wait wait WAAAAAAAIT, my favorite comic book character (after Batman of course) becomes a woman? HOW AND WHY?

Thor Odinson is not a woman. A new female character is taking the mantle of "Thor" wielding his hammer while he was proven unworthy.

bigcimmerian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigcimmerian said:

Thor Odinson is not a woman. A new female character is taking the mantle of "Thor" wielding his hammer while he was proven unworthy.

oh, well I suppose I can handle that lol. I'm reading only Thor God of thunder ongoing, in which series or story arc is he proven unworthy?

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marvel didn't ruin anything, I actually believe female Thor will sell better than Male Thor if written correctly. Just look at Miss Marvel.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigcimmerian: It hasn't happened yet it'll happen in Thor God of Thunder so just keep reading and you'll find out :), then it'll lead into a new Thor #001 where both Thors will regularly appear.

Catsnlynne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Catsnlynne

I'm a girl and I read comic books. I have never read Fifty Shades of Grey and I have no interest in it. Also I'm against a female being worthy to use Thor's hammer.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#46  Edited By THORSON

sigh...you people complained and whined when disney bought marvel and look at it now.

so please you people, stop itching.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Being a woman doesn't necessarily translate into being a female-centric consumer. If that were true, I wouldn't be such a big fan of Thor or Wolverine or Daredevil. And just because you are a woman, disagreeing with this move on the assumption its based on some imagined Feminazi mandate doesn't quantify or prove your opinion as being right. I have to laugh at all the personal examples being thrown around as "proof". It can't be validated by an independent source but probably more importantly, is hardly a fair enough base to generalise who or what all females like or don't like.

I am a Thor fan (a big one) and I never read 50 Shades of Grey. I haven't read Twilight Books either, haha, but that's because I just didn't have the time. I think I'll read 50 Shades of Grey one day, though. Way too many of my friends are horrified I haven't so the peer pressure on that is high...

Getting back on topic, why is it a bad thing that Marvel is being upfront in wanting to target women and girls? Everyone realises there is more of us than you guys, right? This is a medium that is struggling to stay afloat. It makes sense to try and get my demographic hooked. It's just business. I'm actually really impressed with how they've released this information and the huge push its getting from media outlets usually disinterested in what goes on in the comics side of things. This is how ideas should be pushed. Ploy, gimmick, pandering, whatever, it's all called good business. The House of Mouse is disgustingly rich. This move has to have been supported or maybe even suggested by them, rather than Marvel and I'm okay with that.

I'll enjoy it while it lasts. I like my Odinsson with a sexy-_ss beard, anyway.