#1 Posted by phisigmatau (463 posts) - - Show Bio

Hoaly cow whats up with this place!?! THOR GOT #9 is the most epic comic I've read in years oh thank the heavens for Jason Aaron, holy cow this comic is amazing, I can't stop geeking out about it.

The way its written solid 10/10, Ive loved the art so far, but in the most recent comic it doesn't keep up with the action but is still very good.

Great stuff great stuff

#2 Posted by OmegaRed86 (505 posts) - - Show Bio

F the writing, did Thor kick ass?

#3 Edited by phisigmatau (463 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely all three of them! !!!!!!!!

#4 Edited by Killemall (18274 posts) - - Show Bio

@omegared86 said:

More like got his (their's) kicked by Gorr.

But that dude was hit by the lightning of All-Father Thor, which physically took him an entire lighyear away, and the dude isnt still knocked out. Gorr is pretty freakin powerful it seems, a lot more powerful than what most people would have guessed at the start of Thor God Of Thunder series.

#5 Edited by OmegaRed86 (505 posts) - - Show Bio

So Thor is getting his butt whipped. Lame. He'll probably win in the end. BTW, saw the pic. Reminds me of DBZ villain, but he still cool. He was carrying the heart of Elder God.

#6 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17332 posts) - - Show Bio

after this i don't wan't ANY thor fan complaining bout how thor isn't powerful enough

#7 Posted by SOG7dc (6713 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by OmegaRed86 (505 posts) - - Show Bio

after this i don't wan't ANY thor fan complaining bout how thor isn't powerful enough

Here's the problem with that. In Thor comics, they show case his ability. In other comics, he jobs too often.

#9 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17332 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull said:

Here's the problem with that. In Thor comics, they show case his ability. In other comics, he jobs too often.

so do many other characters, thor and hulk, or other powerful guys like them have to job to make the others look good at times, it's a basic formula. also despite loosing, the THORS kick arse here.

#10 Posted by SC (12709 posts) - - Show Bio

@omegared86 said:

He did - I will put in spoilers though for those that do not want too much detail. Its a great issue I definitely recommend picking up if possible.

All three Thor's including the main continuity modern day Thor had great moments and the story is doing a great job of playing up the idea that Thor is not your typical god, Thor is THOR and like the gold standard of gods which I think is great, sort of how like some mutants are weak and some are powerful. We also learn a bit more about the weapon Gorr uses which was ambiguous and in that ambiguity leaves plenty of speculation for how powerful it is, being a powerful ancient weapon of the Elder gods, or being used to kill gods even before Gorr used it and another really important reminder that its basically fueled by god blood. Hence during the battle Gorr starts to panic that the Thors are doing so well and manages to communicate to his home planet that gods be executed which in turn provides more power for him. The last part of that battle we don't actually get to see, but it takes place in a star which is pretty impressive and possibly a nod to Thor's Atum fight. Gorr's power increasing quite a bit presumably since a lot of gods were killed to power him, we end up with the Thor's unconscious bodies raining to the ground. In my opinion though it was the kind of issue a Thor fan who cares about power levels should be happy about, especially since there are lots of objective reference points that demonstrate their power (like hitting Gorr so hard he travelled light years in mere moments which is like so hard it breaks modern day understanding of physics heh heh)

So not too bad eh?

Awwh heh heh you have to try not let that bother you my friend, do you still see Hulk fans complain about Hulk not being powerful enough? Superman fans? Its not so much the fans of the character, its fans in general, its human nature. Plus sometimes complaints lack merit but not always, sometimes complaints are very valid and sincere. Sometimes a fan complains in general when their complaint could be more specific or better articulated. Sometimes its just a person venting personal frustration which is also healthy.

I see fans complaining about power levels in characters that I don't personally understand but then I either try to understand or guess whether their complaint might be more nuanced and or what it may specifically be about. I have to be very careful about what I dismiss offhand in a general sense, because to some I may critique strange things to other fans, defending characters characterization for example, critiquing Avengers Arena idea, or bad writing like Thunderbolts. Anyway hope that helps, because I am pretty sure some Thor and Superman and Hulk and etc fans will always complain for reasons based on how they feel about something which means always complaining. Its sort of a people thing to get frustrated and vent. ^_^

#11 Edited by TheAcidSkull (17332 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc: I know i know :D, but i was just pointing out that the Thors kicked so much butt A$$ in the latest issue that it should keep thor fans happy for a while, it was a joke though :D

i see you've read it yourself, what did you think? ^______^

#12 Posted by HaveAtThee (492 posts) - - Show Bio

#

This issue was epic. Jason Aaron and Esad Ribic are KILLING IT with this arc, and this issue was easily the best superhero story of the year. What's unbelievable is that this fight is going to continue for two more issues. Oh, and all the Thors show off some incredible feats of strength/power in this issue. Considering we now know how Gorr gains so much power, it's quite impressive how all of the Thors have survived his schemes thus far. It also creates great irony that Gorr feasts off of the death and despair of the beings he hates, which essentially turn him into a twisted and callous god himself. Aaron's characterization of the Three Thors is incredibly consistent and quite distinct whilst they're intertwined into the battle/story. CAN'T WAIT for issues 10 and 11.

#13 Edited by SC (12709 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Oh I see heh heh okay cool, I understand now ^_^

I enjoyed this issue, and am glad as last issue I felt some momentum was lost and I didn't enjoy it as much as other issues, but this one had great characterization and story telling and definitely had the scope and scale I associate with Thor and his stories. The art was fantastic and so was the character interaction. I am glad that Thor has a big shiny new classic villain as well, its been a while since we had a distinctive and threatening Thor villain. I am looking forward to next issues and am also glad so many others are enjoying this run as well, since Fractions run didn't really get as many fans excited. Reminds me of the excitement fans had during JMS run but this comic actually comes out on time heh heh.

#14 Posted by TheAcidSkull (17332 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc said:

@theacidskull: Oh I see heh heh okay cool, I understand now ^_^

I enjoyed this issue, and am glad as last issue I felt some momentum was lost and I didn't enjoy it as much as other issues, but this one had great characterization and story telling and definitely had the scope and scale I associate with Thor and his stories. The art was fantastic and so was the character interaction. I am glad that Thor has a big shiny new classic villain as well, its been a while since we had a distinctive and threatening Thor villain. I am looking forward to next issues and am also glad so many others are enjoying this run as well, since Fractions run didn't really get as many fans excited. Reminds me of the excitement fans had during JMS run but this comic actually comes out on time heh heh.

Definitely agree! it's been a while since a good thor villain has come up, and such a powerful one too! it's kinda ironic that Gorr is becoming a GOD himself :D

#15 Posted by Hel (487 posts) - - Show Bio

Off course I liked it! The whole GoT feels like something comlpletely new for once.

I like how in the first issues the story was told in 1st person perspective by Thor himself - have any other Thor story done that? Ive read quite a bit of them but cant recall if thats been done before.. Then we get the story explained by Gorr and now its being told like a legend, probably by Thors granddaughters. Grand.

#16 Posted by OmegaRed86 (505 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by OmegaRed86 (505 posts) - - Show Bio

@sc: Thanks SC!

#18 Posted by Darthnowell (51 posts) - - Show Bio

@omegared86 said:

But that dude was hit by the lightning of All-Father Thor, which physically took him an entire lighyear away, and the dude isnt still knocked out. Gorr is pretty freakin powerful it seems, a lot more powerful than what most people would have guessed at the start of Thor God Of Thunder series.

Well, it was stated that he became more powefull by slaying gods.

#19 Posted by Killemall (18274 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course and he likely would have lost had the gods not been butchered in Gorr's homeworld.

But yeah plot happened and they all lost, my respect for Gorr just jumped 3 folds :)

#20 Posted by New_World_Order (12547 posts) - - Show Bio

So Thor is getting his butt whipped. Lame. He'll probably win in the end. BTW, saw the pic. Reminds me of DBZ villain, but he still cool. He was carrying the heart of Elder God.

Frieza, lol.

#21 Posted by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

Considering present day Thor's fight with Gorr was destroying the adjacent planets (seemingly because of how hard Thor was hitting Gorr) and Thor can apparently eye an adjacent planet cracking from this fight - know life was on it and then proceed to keep the the planet together via that earth manipulation from his mother's side - no fan shouldn't. Hell a mjolnirness Thor was hitting Gorr hard enough to make a wormhole.

This was arguably Thor's best showings on panel - at least destructive capacity wise.

@omegared86 said:

Well to comment to this, that blast sent him light-years (plural) away and nearly one-shotted Gorr. Then Gorr went Doctor Doom and started killing the slave gods to amp himself up to the point he could continue that fight. At the start he wasn't quite as powerful as he was by the time he's tormenting All-Father Thor for 900 years - at that point he's got virtually every card in his favor and a ready supply of power to tap into if necessary, a time pool of blood and his nearly complete god bomb.

#22 Posted by HaveAtThee (492 posts) - - Show Bio

The beauty of this is that there are two more issues left to see what Gorr has up his, uhh, sleeve and to see how Thor(s) rebounds. Which Thor is the one that makes the decisive blow/move to finally put Gorr down?

#23 Posted by Z3RO180 (6324 posts) - - Show Bio

It was awesome also I loved how Jason Aaron made Gorr win and the Thors lose. It makes for higher stakes

#24 Posted by venomoushatred1001 (12334 posts) - - Show Bio

This issue proved Thor's just as powerful as he ever was...maybe more so...

#25 Posted by HaveAtThee (492 posts) - - Show Bio

Most of us comic fans have always known Thor is a major powerhouse, it's just that in the last decade or so, he's rarely been shown to be one consistently (thanks to the Bendis era of fail, where Marvel was hell bent on destroying the superhero).

#26 Edited by CaptnMcDeadpool (956 posts) - - Show Bio

@haveatthee: Amen. Jason Aaron is writing the character the way he should be written.

#27 Edited by sommyt (348 posts) - - Show Bio

Its so beautiful :') Thor is always going to be greater than Supes im sorry fanboys

#28 Posted by mjolnirson (1004 posts) - - Show Bio

@sommyt: Epic Hail for that!!!!!!

#29 Edited by Teerack (5392 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor GOT the book that keeps getting worse.

Why won't the god butcher story just end...why?! ;_;

#30 Edited by novi_homines (1336 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Edited by novi_homines (1336 posts) - - Show Bio

@killemall said:

@darthnowell said:

Of course and he likely would have lost had the gods not been butchered in Gorr's homeworld.

But yeah plot happened and they all lost, my respect for Gorr just jumped 3 folds :)

This!. And not only because of his crazy power level and cunning/ methodical nature, but his origin as well! He just might be Thor's best villain yet and I definitely want to see more of him. I haven't been moved by a villain's origin and ambitions since I read Magneto's "Testament". I could really relate to him in some ways. And his best attribute is that he thinks he's doing the right thing for the universe. I always thought that nothing is scarier than a villain who believes he's the hero, because they will fight just as long and just as hard as the hero. And that's exactly who Gorr is. That's why he's so unique in my opinion.