• 80 results
notoriousbcb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Edited By notoriousbcb

I know me - after seeing the Thor movie, I'm going to want to read some Thor comics.  I have to admit, outside of his Avenger storylines, I have never read any Thor titles.  Recommendations I have received are as follows:

• Tales of Asgard Mini Series
  • Ages of Thunder
  • Thor Blood Oath
  • King Thor Saga

I'm looking for definitive Thor storylines - are these recommendations any good?  What am I missing?
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SC  Moderator

The Eternals Saga (it usually comes in two parts) - This is great for learning about some of the history of Thor, some of its a tiny bit inconsistent, but the story is solid and it has some huge, exciting and just amazing moments) 

Thor Disassembled/Ragnarok - This is a personal favorite that I have noticed everyone else like as well. Great art, and Thor just has an incredible arc of just learning and sacrifice and it pays of in the end. 
All of JMS run is pretty epic as well. Its short enough to, to pick it all up. Three TPB's? 
Gillen as well. Could pick up his run in 2 or 3 TPB's? 

Eternals saga is circa Thor 300, so its a classic (classic as in old, but in my opinion it has aged relatively well) Thor Disassembled is actually quite modern. Just prior to Civil War. The other two were Thor's recent stories before current writer Fraction and everyone I know liked them. JMS run was very new reader friendly and Gillen carried the momentum. 

Good luck! 
A_O_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#2  Edited By A_O_N

Yes the JMS stuff is great and yes its three trades total.

notoriousbcb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By notoriousbcb
@SC:   Thanks for the recommendations!  Looking forward to my future reading!

@A_O_N:  The JMS run will definitely be added to my list.
TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By TypingKira
@SC said:
" The Eternals Saga (it usually comes in two parts) - This is great for learning about some of the history of Thor, some of its a tiny bit inconsistent, but the story is solid and it has some huge, exciting and just amazing moments) 
Thor Disassembled/Ragnarok - This is a personal favorite that I have noticed everyone else like as well. Great art, and Thor just has an incredible arc of just learning and sacrifice and it pays of in the end. 
All of JMS run is pretty epic as well. Its short enough to, to pick it all up. Three TPB's? 

Eternals saga is circa Thor 300, so its a classic (classic as in old, but in my opinion it has aged relatively well) Thor Disassembled is actually quite modern. Just prior to Civil War. The other two were Thor's recent stories before current writer Fraction and everyone I know liked them. JMS run was very new reader friendly and Gillen carried the momentum. 

Good luck! 
"

JMS' run is the greatest thing you will ever read. Listen to SC. 

And if you want something a bit more vintage, read Simonson's run too. Great stuff that is. 
notoriousbcb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By notoriousbcb
@TypingKira:  Many thanks.  I would have been clueless without these recommendations.
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SC  Moderator
@TypingKira said:

"And if you want something a bit more vintage, read Simonson's run too. Great stuff that is. "

LOL, thank you! Last night i was getting annoyed, because this was on the tip of my tongue but I couldn't remember it somehow. I knew there was one other era I wanted to recommend but I just couldn't remember for some reason. Simonson's Thor run isn't just considered one of Thor's best run's but one of comic's best runs. Very good choice! 

And no problem notoriousbcb, always good to have another potential Thor fan around. Some cool stories. 
xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#7  Edited By xerox_kitty

Pinning this to the top of the Thor forum.  Hopefully that'll help prevent more duplicate threads.
notoriousbcb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By notoriousbcb
@TypingKira, @SC, @TypingKira, @A_O_N:  Picked up the Eternals Saga and the JMS run after the movie.  Simonson is next.  Thanks again!
Ry Fryy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Ry Fryy
bgibs13390

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By bgibs13390
@Ry Fryy said:
" You absolutely must read the Ragnarok story in Thor Disassembled.  It's the final six issues of the second Thor volume.  Hands down my personal favourite. "
Mine too its fantastic stuff. The king Thor stuff is great too. 
notoriousbcb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By notoriousbcb

@ Ry Fryy
@bgibs13390

Sounds like I'll be adding this right after Simonson.  Thanks!

Avatar image for carnivalofsins00
carnivalofsins00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 155

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By carnivalofsins00

Anyone know how the For Asgard mini was?

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By SC  Moderator
@carnivalofsins00 said:
" Anyone know how the For Asgard mini was? "

The art was great, unless you hate that style (Simone Bianchi), the story was grim, and dark, and otherwise average in my opinion, and from what I have seen from other fans who read it. I felt it finished strong, but lulled in the middle. 
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By SC  Moderator
@notoriousbcb:  Thats great! Good for you! 

I will also add to any who have seen the Thor movie! That for an extra treat of sorts, if they read the following selection of books, they might notice moments that the movie borrowed from. MINOR SPOILERS IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE MOVIE. 

- Thor Ages of Thunder One Shot! - Beautiful art, and its not modern day Thor, its Thor like he is in the first part/early beginning of the movie. Eager to fight and kill and aggressive and etc this issue has Frost Giants!
- Avengers - Ultron Unlimited. Team arc, but Thor has one of the coolest moments here and one of his best quotes, which is also paraphrased in the movie!
- Thor: First Thunder - This is a modern day retelling of Thor's first stories, so coming to Earth, the Stone Men, and Loki. You can read the original stuff just fine if you don't mind how dated it is, or choose to go with the modern day reinterpretation which is exactly the same plot wise, but with modern day art, dialogue, settings etc Has Thor's fight with Loki and small nods to what happen in the film. 

There are some other hints to comics as well I can fill in later. 

SilverMan91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#15  Edited By SilverMan91

I want to read most everything about King Thor and RK Thor, any recomendations and/or all story arcs with him? (not sure if they're already mentioned i read the whole thing but didnt find any recomendations for these)

Please im dieing to read stuff about king Thor and Rune King Thor...

Ry Fryy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ry Fryy
@Silver man:

:)

@Ry Fryy
said:
" You absolutely must read the Ragnarok story in Thor Disassembled.  It's the final six issues of the second Thor volume.  Hands down my personal favourite. "
Jo_Bug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jo_Bug

so of course, since this post is RIGHT ON TOP of ALL the Thor posts, I didn't see it and posted exactly the same thing. *hums: where is my mind*

i've picked up a few issues from Thor Mighty Avenger and Tales of Asgard; also 2 one shots; Truth of History and Trial of Thor. still haven't seen the movie though. and unfortunately i can only contribute questions to the thread but not answers; but i'm happy to join the conversation.

think i'll start with some of the tps if i can find them.

and comics? anything particular i should be looking at with regards to new stuff coming out?

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
@TypingKira said:
@SC said:
" The Eternals Saga (it usually comes in two parts) - This is great for learning about some of the history of Thor, some of its a tiny bit inconsistent, but the story is solid and it has some huge, exciting and just amazing moments) 

Good luck! 
"

JMS' run is the greatest thing you will ever read. Listen to SC. 

And if you want something a bit more vintage, read Simonson's run too. Great stuff that is. 
Wouldn't go that far, but it's certainly the best Thor story on offer. No Beta Ray Bill and minimal Donald Blake! Huzzah!
fps_dean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By fps_dean

JMS and Simonson wrote two of the best story lines ever, and both happen to have been Thor, so I'd start right there. And while you're at it, Gillen's Thor followed up JMS's rather nicely.

Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Larkin1388

I would recommend Thor: Disassembled.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#21  Edited By PowerHerc

The Thor and Hercules vs Pluto story-arc from 'Journey into Mystery' #125, and 'Thor' #126-130.

The Eternals Saga from 'Thor Annual' #7 and 'Thor' #283-301.

The Thor: Avengers Dissassembled story-arc from Thor vol. 3, #80-85.

Thor: Blood Oath.

gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By gravitypress

I would put Simonson Thor as #1. It is epic. Thor Disassembled was genius as well. The only Thor run I was bored with was when Eric Masterson (Thunderstrike) took over for Thor but I liked Thunderstrike a lot. Basically with Thor you cant go wrong the writing and art have been pretty stellar.

Superskrull86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#23  Edited By Superskrull86
@notoriousbcb said:
I know me - after seeing the Thor movie, I'm going to want to read some Thor comics.  I have to admit, outside of his Avenger storylines, I have never read any Thor titles.  Recommendations I have received are as follows:

• Tales of Asgard Mini Series
  • Ages of Thunder
  • Thor Blood Oath
  • King Thor Saga
I'm looking for definitive Thor storylines - are these recommendations any good?  What am I missing?

I'm thinking pick up all, except Ages of Thunder.
Sky_Jokiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24  Edited By Sky_Jokiel
darth_fletcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By darth_fletcher

dan jurgens did some epic storylines with thor...id recommend volume 2 issues 1 - 12 and the stories- spiral, the reigning and gods and men !!!

Rabbitearsblog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 79

#26  Edited By Rabbitearsblog

I was about to make a new topic about what Thor books would be good to read, but now I'm definitely checking these titles out!

X35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 163

User Lists: 8

#27  Edited By X35

Walt Simonson's Thor. Always.

jeanroygrant

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By jeanroygrant

@Ry Fryy said:

You absolutely must read the Ragnarok story in Thor Disassembled. It's the final six issues of the second Thor volume. Hands down my personal favourite.
TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#29  Edited By TDK_1997

Walt Simonson's Thor and the JMS run.That are the old things that I have read of Thor.

JacobimMugatu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By JacobimMugatu

I just recently picked up about 30 or so Thor issues, two of them being the Stan Lee/Jack Kirby Tales of Asgard and I love them. Volume one with the first Journey into Mystery issues is also awesome, plus there always seems to be some little thrown in punch line that cracks me up! But of course it was the 60s so I guess one should expect stuff like that.

Malevolent1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Malevolent1

Actually, if anyone has not done so already, Stracynkski's brief, but stellar run with Thor was outstanding. The Thunder God in all his powerful glory.

TheHeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By TheHeat

Sweet lists.

majestic99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By majestic99

@SC said:

The Eternals Saga (it usually comes in two parts) - This is great for learning about some of the history of Thor, some of its a tiny bit inconsistent, but the story is solid and it has some huge, exciting and just amazing moments)
Good luck!
blur1528

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 6

#34  Edited By blur1528
TheAnnihilator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TheAnnihilator

Simonson. Nothing beats Walter Simonson.

The_Thunderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36  Edited By The_Thunderer

@fps_dean: Is Gillen's Thor good?

The_Thunderer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37  Edited By The_Thunderer

I loved Mighty Thor , will i like Gillen's Thor?

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By z3ro180

@FadeToBlackBolt: can you recomend any ultimat thor stuff

fps_dean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By fps_dean

@The_Thunderer said:

@fps_dean: Is Gillen's Thor good?

Sorry about the delay, I'm not ignoring you. I'm just overworked as it is plus I've been busy with the holidays and whatnot.

It was... he jumped on near the end of JMS's run and finished it up quite nicely. And JMS's Thor run IMO was one of those memorable, epic runs that is a must read for any Thor fan, and really has made many non-Thor fans into Thor fans.

After Thor extracts revenge on Dr Doom, Gillen had Siege thrown at him, and that was all he did on Thor. But he did a really good job, especially jumping on and having to conclude the story before the Siege event. I was bummed when they took him off Thor, but Journey Into Mystery has also been excellent.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thors a king???i though he was a prince

NerdsFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By NerdsFTW

Classic Thor.

vicske77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By vicske77

awesome thread. I will be getting into Thor soon hopefully!!!

ReadItNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#43  Edited By ReadItNow

I think everything burns will end up being must read Thor. Tied in with 50 th anniv. And the recent story in journey is all adding up and making this everything burs story a lot of fun

Avatar image for giygastheinfinite
GiygasTheInfinite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The series by Michael Straczynki. After that...I don't know.

benzino_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By benzino_x
notoriousbcb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By notoriousbcb

@benzino_x: Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely check these out. I'm a big fan of Esad Ribic's work.

benzino_x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By benzino_x

@notoriousbcb said:

@benzino_x: Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely check these out. I'm a big fan of Esad Ribic's work.

No probs, It is really, really good ;) Ribic is brilliant!

Avatar image for fernando072295reborn
Fernando072295REBORN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thor god of thunder has been very good in its fist two issues. At the moment that would be the only thing worth reading that is Thor related.

ReadItNow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#49  Edited By ReadItNow

The current Thor is great! This IS a must read! Two flawless issues so far!!

lparsons1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By lparsons1

Hey guys!

I'm really new to comics, I've only read a few graphic novels (Watchmen and V for Vendetta) and a few comic books in my time (The Mass Effect ones, don't laugh I'm a big fan :/) I used to read manga in high school.

I really enjoyed the Thor movie, I'm a big nerd when it comes to paganism and stuff, particuarly northern europe.

I was wondering if this was a good guide for what Thor books to start reading (someone I know suggested them)

Thor: The Mighty Avenger, Vol. 1: The God Who Fell to Earth

Marvel Masterworks:The Mighty Thor Vol: 1

Any other suggestions? Sorry the first post was still a little confusing for me. I've always found comics daunting........like I had to start at the begining :D