• 116 results
Big_Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Big_Nasty

If you asked who is the strongest comic book character the average person will say Hulk, Superman, Hercules, Goku, Sentry etc. Majority of Thor fans will say strength wise, Thor can compete with the best of them. Me personally , I don't beleieve Thor can last 2 rounds against Hulk w/o Mjolnir.So I Ask you, do you believe Thor's strength is overrated or underrated.

ImmortalT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ImmortalT1000

I guess Superman, Hulk and Goku are more overrated than Thor, even though Thor is overrated.......... Superman and Hulks strength are more common ( People argue about it and pay attention to it more. ) than Thor.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By Pyrogram

@Big_Nasty: Thor went 2 issues w/o his hammer... a massive fight.

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By spinningbirdcake

Just like any power character his strength is somewhat dependent on the plot. Though Thor seems to be handled better than Hulk and Superman most of the time I think. When people say the word "feats" I immediately think of the ridiculous things Supes and Hulk have done.

Big_Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Big_Nasty

@Pyrogram said:

@Big_Nasty: Thor went 2 issues w/o his hammer... a massive fight.

I do understand in the comics thor can go toe to toe with hulk but in live live-action and cartoons , hulk just be warming up with Thor( Hulkvs.,The Avengers,Ultimate Avengers)

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By PowerHerc

It depends on who you ask, but it's my opinion that Thor's strength is underrated these days.

Naamah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Naamah

Thor is very inconsistent. So it is hard to say.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By laflux

By the public who only know Thor from Movies and Cartoons then underrated- From more Knowledgeable fans, even handed or slightly overrated.

DCsuperman0007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DCsuperman0007

@Big_Nasty: thor is highly overrated in general hulk,superman,sentry,goku etc. could easily stomp thor. when odin is involved its a different story

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By King_Saturn  Online
Thor's strength is Overrated... Dude does not have hardly any High End Strength Feats on par with Superman. 
comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By comicace3

Overrated

Chronus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Chronus

@laflux said:

By the public who only know Thor from Movies and Cartoons then underrated- From more Knowledgeable fans, even handed or slightly overrated.

There are some fans that overrated him more than "slightly." I agree with your first sentence.

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#13  Edited By god_spawn

@King Saturn said:

Thor's strength is Overrated... Dude does not have hardly any High End Strength Feats on par with Superman.

To be fair, not many characters in Marvel have high end strength feats like Superman. Still, Thor is one of Marvel's heaviest hitters.

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By superstay

@Big_Nasty: alittle overrated

@ImmortalT1000: They're all overrated

dó¡òb

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By _Zombie_

It varies depending on the writer and plot.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Both.

btmt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By btmt

@King Saturn said:

Totally agreed!!!!!

Many thor fans will not like my opinion but I personally think that thor can't even stand for more than 20 minutes without his magical hammer and other godly powers against SUPERMAN.

Superman and hulk are by far more powerful than Thor.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#18  Edited By SC  Moderator

Well, I mean you ask the average person which was the first superhero to fly, and they would probably say Superman, unaware that Namor or Captain Marvel were flying before Superman. I say probably because I personally don't like to assert what your average person would say, I only know that your average person isn't typically accurate when it ones to perceptions about oh just about everything including what other people think and believe. I don't think your average person even knows who Sentry is.

Me personally? I believe its a fruitless task to forget that comic characters like Thor, Hulk, Superman are fictional entities. There are therefore lots of variables that can be considered that will change values including that as strength. Writers, artists, how you define strength, define other words such as incalculable and limitless, distinguish between different types of strength, measure consistency, value consistency, implement reason and logic, quantify actions and acts, and so on.

That all being said do I think Thor's strength is underrated? Yeah, usually, I mean the guy (Stan Lee) who created Thor and Hulk and Silver Surfer and a bunch of other characters has explicitly stated in real life a bunch of times that he created Thor and considers Thor to be stronger than Hulk. Its a pretty hard point to ignore. Is Stan Lees word and understanding a fundamental law of the Universe though? No, of course not, hence why today you have many writers of many of these characters whose views and writing as far as characters and strength conflict with each other. Hence if self admitted Hulk fanboy wrote a Thor and Hulk fight Thor probably wouldn't last long without his hammer, but if it was Dan Slott or Kevin Grevioux Thor would probably snap Hulks neck no matter how strong or angry he was. Hence how overrated/underrated he is would depend on a persons subjective understanding of the characters and writers.

I ultimately ere on being underrated, because you have generations of fans who say for example, upon reading Hulk say he is the strongest, take that statement as a literal fact, when its really more hyperbole and boasting a catchphrase. That and say a character like Superman is usually exposed to people earlier and younger and its just human nature to have special places for such characters and so favoritism and bias sneak in. That and Thor hasn't really had a pro Thor writer in ages. Even JMS dream job was Superman. Hulk got Greg Pak so on. Then again on this site I'd probably run into a lot of extremely pro and extremely anti Thor people so that extreme polarization would make him both underrated and overrated.

YellowDuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By YellowDuck

Let's see. Superman has 50,000 writers who don't agree with eachother. Thor has 10,000 writers who don't agree with eachother half the time.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By AllStarSuperman  Online

@DCsuperman0007 said:

@Big_Nasty: thor is highly overrated in general hulk,superman,sentry,goku etc. could easily stomp thor. when odin is involved its a different story

@King Saturn said:

Yes and yes.

sommyt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Thor's strength is underrated.

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It depends on who is doing the evaluating. IMO, if someone says Thor is much stronger than Superman, I'd say overrated. If someone says nowhere near Superman's level, I'd say underrated.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Highly underrated

Voorhees100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Aptly rated.

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superstay:

I didn't know you commented in this thread

dO.?b

JJ62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Does it really matter?? From what I've seen true fans aren't concerned about how powerful their favorites are. But how interesting and well written they are...

To answer the question, depends. I've heard everything from "Thor Is strong enough to lift eternity itself" which is complete BS, to "Thor is below Iron Man level strength" which is complete BS.

See that's my problem with MOST (not all, but many) Thor fans, they base their love for the character off of how powerful he is. Not how good of a character he is....In recent days I've come to the conclusion that basing your feelings about a character off of their power set is pretty dumb. I didn't used to think this way, but I do now.

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor fluctuates depending on what comic he's in. Also writers tend to make him job a lot (I mean a lot). Also, Marvel's level of inconsistencies is atrocious.

For example:

Emma, enhanced by the Phoenix Force, can't read Thor's mind
Emma, enhanced by the Phoenix Force, can't read Thor's mind
No Caption Provided
But, somehow, Red Skull with Professor Xavier's brain can?
But, somehow, Red Skull with Professor Xavier's brain can?

deaditegonzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How does Wolverine come back from that, without his healing factor?! Is it some sort of copout that his ability slowly returns and brings him back to life or something?

Avatar image for New_World_Order
New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omgomgwtfwtf: Those instances are not wrong. Namor with the Phoenix Force was put to sleep by Xavier easily. Along with the Avengers, and the X-Men. Even though Emma had telepathic abilities which were amplified by the Phoenix Force, she should still be below Xavier. Only Jean Grey could beat Xavier in a telepathic battle. So Red Skull with Xavier's brain should be likely to do it, because he has done it twice on Thor. Once when Phoenix Force Namor fought the Avengers, and the second time when Red Skull had his brain.

New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DoI believe Thor's strength is underrated? Yes, most of the times. I believe the reason people believe Thor is not that physically strong, because he is always wielding Mjolnir. He mostly strikes with it, although from time to time he'll use his fists. Not to mention I doubt writers are going to have Thor show a lot of lifting feats. He would have to put Mjolnir down, and than lift said object. If he was flying it would be worse. Spinning Mjolnir, and trying to catch an object. Best I've seen Thor lift while flying was an airplane, due to the fact it's too hard to catch an object while spinning his hammer to stay airborne.

OmgOmgWtfWtf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@omgomgwtfwtf: Those instances are not wrong. Namor with the Phoenix Force was put to sleep by Xavier easily. Along with the Avengers, and the X-Men. Even though Emma had telepathic abilities which were amplified by the Phoenix Force, she should still be below Xavier. Only Jean Grey could beat Xavier in a telepathic battle. So Red Skull with Xavier's brain should be likely to do it, because he has done it twice on Thor. Once when Phoenix Force Namor fought the Avengers, and the second time when Red Skull had his brain.

I disagree with you on the bolded part. Putting Namor to sleep is not that big of a deal given that he has no telepathic feats, so it's easy to assume that his knowledge of how to use telepathy or defend against it is nil. Emma, on the other hand, has defeated Xavier before in psychic battle. Xavier is above Emma, but not that much of a margin, where even amped by the Phoenix Force, she would still be below him.

Auralaria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends on who you ask.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#34  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Neither, it is however overly obsessed about by fans

cmartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

thors strength is underrated... hes just as strong as hulk that was proven in defenders 10 when none could move the other for hrs....

however

superman is the strongest hero hands down....

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't say "underrated" but rather "unknown" at this point. As others have said, he's constantly holding Mjolnir in his hand, rather than resting it on his belt so we never see him really having to use his brute strength. His top end feats are as impressive as any powerhouse in either universe (especially pre-2007, and even moreso before the 90s). I also agree that Marvel is HORRIBLY inconsistent with the portrayal of their character's powerset/abilities. Their editorial decree seems to be "whatever fits the plot, and sells copies." You could say the same for others like Gladiator, Silver Surfer, Hercules, etc. Hulk's main trait is that he's the self-proclaimed "strongest one there is." I mean he has no other special ability other than incredible strength so his powerset is pretty well defined to the reader, whereas Thor is identified as being a god of thunder and able to manipulate the weather, not so much known for having incredible strength. It's also much easier and less time consuming for Marvel writers/editors to give Thor a readily acceptable role in a team setting (or a set formula).

1. Hit with hammer

2. Twirl hammer and call down a lightning bolt

That's about it, really, especially in a team setting. If you get a creative writer like Jason Aaron writing Thor's solo title, he's able to explore the character far more than anyone writing an Avengers book and chances are you will see more dimensions to him. I actually give Remender quite a bit of credit for being able to showcase Thor a bit more than usual on an Avengers book, given that the current (and fantastic) arc somewhat centers around him. It's quite the step up from Thor being a total moronic punching bag from the time of Siege, through Fear Itself and right up to AVX. Siege and Fear Itself were quite trash considering those were events supposedly centered around Thor, and he had some horrendous showings in all three events. I attribute that to Bendis and Fraction mostly, because they handled Thor quite a bit during that era, and they're both AWFUL at writing powerful characters, whereas they excel at the street-level stuff. The stuff Aaron and Remender are donig with Thor is infinitely better than anything those two ever did.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's because his powers are all over the place. Sometimes he needs his hammer to fly other times he doesn't, People for the longest time didn't know if he was bullet proof or not...

Past Thor recently made it rain down fire, without his hammer so he clearly has some powers without it.

And this is going to sound stupid, but it's because he rarely lifts stuff as well. When people talk about feats it always "superman lifted this" or "Hulk punched that"

I don't mind not truly knowing how strong Thor is but people know he's a bad@ss. It's moments in siege where he tells Osborn and his team to eff off and they all do because they were afraid of him that I remember how powerful he really is, he didn't even have to throw a punch and they all left peacefully mid battle. One of my fave images of him ever.

No Caption Provided

Point is when things need to get done, truly need to get done Thor is always the man to smite whatever needs smiting.

New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By New_World_Order

@thundergodswrath said:

I disagree with you on the bolded part. Putting Namor to sleep is not that big of a deal given that he has no telepathic feats, so it's easy to assume that his knowledge of how to use telepathy or defend against it is nil. Emma, on the other hand, has defeated Xavier before in psychic battle. Xavier is above Emma, but not that much of a margin, where even amped by the Phoenix Force, she would still be below him.

When has Emma beaten Xavier? I swear it's the opposite. Scans please?

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Underated. People have this idea that Thor is weaker strength wise without his hammer. They also think hulk and superman have no equals when it comes to strength and trying to say someone like Thor is just as strong sends them into a rage.

New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd said:

It's because his powers are all over the place. Sometimes he needs his hammer to fly other times he doesn't, People for the longest time didn't know if he was bullet proof or not...

Past Thor recently made it rain down fire, without his hammer so he clearly has some powers without it.

And this is going to sound stupid, but it's because he rarely lifts stuff as well. When people talk about feats it always "superman lifted this" or "Hulk punched that"

I don't mind not truly knowing how strong Thor is but people know he's a bad@ss. It's moments in siege where he tells Osborn and his team to eff off and they all do because they were afraid of him that I remember how powerful he really is, he didn't even have to throw a punch and they all left peacefully mid battle. One of my fave images of him ever.

No Caption Provided

Point is when things need to get done, truly need to get done Thor is always the man to smite whatever needs smiting.

Thor is the god of thunder. He has super strength, durability, senses, speed, weather manipulation, god blast, levitation, and earth control without Mjolnir. Mjolnir gives him abilities like energy manipulation, absorbing, redirecting, flight, transmution, teleportation, anti-matter manipulation, and more. Not to mention it amplifies his already high level of power. What makes the feat of Thor making it rain fire so good, is that in that particular time, no weather changing was able to happen. The area they were in prevented it. Thor's granddaughters, and daughters failed, but he accomplished it. While being a young Thor. I think even a little young than the one that fought Apocalypse in the flashback.

I also love that scene with Thor, and the Dark Avengers. I do believe 2 things. One Ares would not fight Thor anyways, due to his high respect to him. Second the only reason Sentry didn't fight Thor here was because Norman Osborn didn't want too.The Sentry at the time did anything Norman told him too do. Standing down to Thor was one of them. Although it's a pretty awesome feat nevertheless.

I felt like saying something this too, lol. The Thor art in the 3rd small panel looks pretty bad. He looks like a being from the show "Adventure Time".

Avatar image for fernando072295reborn
Fernando072295REBORN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

are we talking physical strength period? Because if so, I don't think he's over or underrated. I mean who in Marvel is noticeable stronger than him other than the Hulk? And even then Thor has multiple instances in where he matches hulk's strength and even overpowers him once or twice (savage persona of course).

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By w0nd

@fernando072295reborn: In avengers he keeps getting beaten up by random omega leveled people. Or captured or something you would expect him to break out of

Avatar image for fernando072295reborn
Fernando072295REBORN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: Hickman's an asshole.

TrueMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By TrueMarvel

Its underrated. Stan Lee said it himself. He created Thor to be stronger than Hulk. Here is a paraphrased quote " Well what can beat the Hulk? A god"

He created Thor to "one-up" the Hulk. So why do writers today still insist on making Thor lose to Hulk? Seems to actually contradict the reason for Thor's conception. That's like creating the idea of Superman in order to save the world but modern writers use superman to destroy it(extreme analogy).

Thor is underrated. Because modern writers are stupid. He IS more powerful then the writers make him out to be.

cmartin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its underrated. Stan Lee said it himself. He created Thor to be stronger than Hulk. Here is a paraphrased quote " Well what can beat the Hulk? A god"

He created Thor to "one-up" the Hulk. So why do writers today still insist on making Thor lose to Hulk? Seems to actually contradict the reason for Thor's conception. That's like creating the idea of Superman in order to save the world but modern writers use superman to destroy it(extreme analogy).

Thor is underrated. Because modern writers are stupid. He IS more powerful then the writers make him out to be.

this...marvel have lost touch with thor fans

Mekboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Mekboy

I think he's somewhat underrated. Writers these days try to downplay him to make certain characters look good. People always say Thor fans complain too much but I think those people are simply Thor haters or DC fanboys. I mean, some of them even support the theory that the Hulk should be able to lift Mjolnir with raw strength.

Avatar image for captnmcdeadpool
captnmcdeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think so. I almost think Marvel shied away from doing the planet moving stuff Superman was doing in the 60s and 70s and instead, did more esoteric stuff, almost tongue in cheek feats, like lifting the world serpent, moving the world engine, or perhaps more believable resisting the pressure of a neutron star. As well, Thor has gone toe to toe with characters that might be considered "planet movers", Hulk, Gladiator, Hercules, etc. Thor is strong.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes his strength is underrated as @powerherc said

OmegaRed86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By OmegaRed86

Forever Underrated.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks to Jason Aaron, the people who are reading God of Thunder have been treated to a true powerhouse.