• 117 results
XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@sog7dc said:

Just curious as to how the people who view Thor as their favorite feel about sentry? Like for me personally Superman is my absolute favorite hero. So if dc made a new character slap him around it would piss me off and I'd probably hate the character. Personally I think Thor should be above sentry because frankly I think Thor deserves it. But back on topic how do you diehard Thor fans feel about him ?

Sentry is like a whiny little nerd with issues who has the power to keep on whining when others try to shut him up. Thor is way cooler, manlier, more handsome (I'm pretty sure), and yet when Sentry throws a tantrum the whole universe must suffer!

No Caption Provided

Those Superman vs Sentry threads are both funny and asinine because all the Superman-fanboys 'n girls all know that once Sentry starts getting mad he turns into a raging all-powerful sissy that cannot be stopped (like Waluigi on his birthday), and they ignore the fact that Sentry is immortal, has telepathy, and can control matter to a molecular degree! Nerds REVENGE!!

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By w0nd

@tikhunt said:

@w0nd: Emma Frost went into his head and found that the Void had locked the Robert persona away so that he couldn't wrestle for control. Also on two occasions after destroying stuff as the Void he woke up and had no memory of what had happened, I think that is proof that there is multiple personas in there.

Are we talking about him being the new horsemen of death, or just sentry in general. I am talking about his recent return from the dead.

I realize Sentry has split personality disorder....but him, daken, banshee, and the grim reaper have returned back from the dead, being shells of themselves. That's the version I was talking about because someone asked if in his death persona he had the same personality. He does not, he is an empty shell of himself. It doesn't really contradict anything, because it's not the same version.

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: Oh I see, no there is no other personas just death I actually posted that on the first page near the bottom.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tikhunt said:

@w0nd: Oh I see, no there is no other personas just death I actually posted that on the first page near the bottom.

Oh okay, sorry for the confusion. Typing on my phone can be quite the pain at times. Wording gets a little messy.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#56 vance_astro  Moderator

@maccyd said:

One thing I find a bit stupid is how a mere mortal like Sentry can defeat a God?

Welcome to Marvel Comics, Mortals defeat gods all the time.

@fodigg

said:

I think it's a little weird that they've inserted Sentry into the classic Thor/Hulk debate, but I don't think Thor fans would be as annoyed with Sentry as Hulk fans. Thor was the one who defeated Sentry while Hulk was basically turned into his pet, necessitating the Hulk beatdown of Sentry in World War Hulk to kinda make up for it. I guess I don't see why Thor fans—even die-hard ones—would have a problem with Sentry compared to that. He's basically just another Hyperion.

Thor has technically never defeated the Sentry and also technically neither has Hulk.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@awesam: Neither Superman or Wonder woman live in a separate dimension specifically designed to safeguard and watch over a planet as deities. Nor can they answer prayers across the cosmos. They also cannot use physics that exist outside of normal science. You sound like you read majority of DC and just assume Thor is similar to Superman. He may not be THE god but he is A god.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By AweSam

@maccyd: I already said he's a god. Protecting Earth and living in a separate dimension doesn't make him a god. The fact that billions praise him as one is what makes him a god. Wonder Woman is a goddess and Superman is a god to some. You don't understand what I'm saying. Power does not make one a god.

@sog7dc: I really don't have the time, so I decline.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By MakkyD

@awesam: Then sorry, I misunderstood, my bad.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

@awesam: If so many people have the same opinion it should be easy. But whatevs

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Even though I'm a Thor fan I still like Sentry.

Thor is the better character, though, and in my mind should be the more powerful character, too.

Hel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Hel

@sog7dc said:

Just curious as to how the people who view Thor as their favorite feel about sentry? Like for me personally Superman is my absolute favorite hero. So if dc made a new character slap him around it would piss me off and I'd probably hate the character. Personally I think Thor should be above sentry because frankly I think Thor deserves it. But back on topic how do you diehard Thor fans feel about him ?

Personally Im not a diehard fan of any comic character but since most of my comics are Thor related in some way I guess that makes him my favourite. Same goes with hate, I never hated any character. Less interested in them for sure, but any character could be interesting with the right writer just as an interesting character could suck in the hands of the wrong writer.

As for Sentry, Ive never really been that interested in him. What little Ive read I like and what I havent read - well too bad for me ;)

Avatar image for the_lunact_and_manic
The_Lunact_And_Manic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thor is the better character, though, and in my mind should be the more powerful character, too.

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@w0nd: Yeah I know the feeling no worries.

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By tikhunt

@hel said:

@sog7dc said:

Personally Im not a diehard fan of any comic character but since most of my comics are Thor related in some way I guess that makes him my favourite. Same goes with hate, I never hated any character. Less interested in them for sure, but any character could be interesting with the right writer just as an interesting character could suck in the hands of the wrong writer.

As for Sentry, Ive never really been that interested in him. What little Ive read I like and what I havent read - well too bad for me ;)

Why aren't there enough comic fans people like you?

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

@maccyd said:

One thing I find a bit stupid is how a mere mortal like Sentry can defeat a God?

Welcome to Marvel Comics, Mortals defeat gods all the time.

@fodigg

said:

I think it's a little weird that they've inserted Sentry into the classic Thor/Hulk debate, but I don't think Thor fans would be as annoyed with Sentry as Hulk fans. Thor was the one who defeated Sentry while Hulk was basically turned into his pet, necessitating the Hulk beatdown of Sentry in World War Hulk to kinda make up for it. I guess I don't see why Thor fans—even die-hard ones—would have a problem with Sentry compared to that. He's basically just another Hyperion.

Thor has technically never defeated the Sentry and also technically neither has Hulk.

I think the fight in Siege was a mess, honestly. And even if it wasn't a clear victory the Hulk did rough him up.

Hel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By Hel

@tikhunt: What can I say but thank you ;)

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I, personally, find Sentry to be extremely overpowered

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

@fodigg said:

I think the fight in Siege was a mess, honestly. And even if it wasn't a clear victory the Hulk did rough him up.

I agree but Bendis said on formspring that the only way Sentry would "die" is if he wanted to and as I think we all remember he was begging Thor to kill him and yes you are correct, Hulk did a number on the Sentry especially his face. I never seen someone in a comic bleed out of their eyes from punches without dying.

@xlr87t3 said:

Sentry is like a whiny little nerd with issues who has the power to keep on whining when others try to shut him up. Thor is way cooler, manlier, more handsome (I'm pretty sure), and yet when Sentry throws a tantrum the whole universe must suffer!

Those Superman vs Sentry threads are both funny and asinine because all the Superman-fanboys 'n girls all know that once Sentry starts getting mad he turns into a raging all-powerful sissy that cannot be stopped (like Waluigi on his birthday), and they ignore the fact that Sentry is immortal, has telepathy, and can control matter to a molecular degree! Nerds REVENGE!!

Superman is actually fully capable of beating Sentry.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By fodigg

@vance_astro said:

@fodigg said:

I agree but Bendis said on formspring that the only way Sentry would "die" is if he wanted to and as I think we all remember he was begging Thor to kill him and yes you are correct, Hulk did a number on the Sentry especially his face. I never seen someone in a comic bleed out of their eyes from punches without dying.

Really? That's interesting, and goes with my pet Sentry theory.

Thorverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The whole standing in the doorway for 29 hrs. in WWH was enough for me.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 vance_astro  Moderator

@fodigg said:

Odd, i've never seen this before. Interesting theory. Sentry is a hard character to follow.

Avatar image for New_World_Order
New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By kgb725

Hulk can't beat Sentry because of his aura unless he's extremely mad but Thor is too slow to stop Sentry and they are going to have a huge fight again

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fodigg said:

Odd, i've never seen this before. Interesting theory. Sentry is a hard character to follow.

Cheers. And yeah, especially because he's so contentious with fans.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My overall sentiments on Sentry are "meh." I'm rather indifferent. I thought Siege was a horrible event and I think Sentry, as a character, was the poster-boy for all the "deconstructing" of the superhero crap that Marvel was obsessed with for a decade. I heard nice things about the Sentry miniseries by Jenkins a while back but never bothered. Perhaps it would be more compelling if he were an outright villain. It sure would give Thor and The Avengers a powerful adversary, and lord knows superhero comics are in desperate need of worthy, compelling villains.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 vance_astro  Moderator

@haveatthee said:

My overall sentiments on Sentry are "meh." I'm rather indifferent. I thought Siege was a horrible event and I think Sentry, as a character, was the poster-boy for all the "deconstructing" of the superhero crap that Marvel was obsessed with for a decade. I heard nice things about the Sentry miniseries by Jenkins a while back but never bothered. Perhaps it would be more compelling if he were an outright villain. It sure would give Thor and The Avengers a powerful adversary, and lord knows superhero comics are in desperate need of worthy, compelling villains.

What you said about him being a villain. I think that's why I find Sentry so interesting. He was his own biggest villain.

Avatar image for fernando072295reborn
Fernando072295REBORN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sentry is fine without the mental issues, I don't like when he goes on a crying fit.

Avatar image for venomoushatred1001
venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He just seems like Marvel's satirical take on a Superman-analogue in an era where Marvel hired a bunch of inexperienced, overrated Indy writers to tinker with an entire pantheon of characters, so they decided to completely flaw all of the superheroes and have them fight each other. Sentry is the main representative of this era which drove me away from comics altogether for a long time.

Killemall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I am a Thor fan, not sure if i would consider myself a die hard fan, but i am a fan nonetheless.

And i love Sentry as a character, a near omnipotent hero with 1 weakness, his own mind. Thats a pretty new concept (well we had that for villian though, just look at Molecule Man).

As per Sentry being more powerful than Thor and Thor being a god, Sentry himself as been called a god before, and he has also been called an "out of control force of nature" and "allpowerful" so yeah Sentry does have his title go along with him being more powerful than Thor.

It will be interesting to see how Thor does next issue, but from the premise i am surprised they are supposed to have a big fight, seeing how Sentry seems so much superior than Thor at this point.

Also they are on a far away planet, they can totally blow that up :p

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

venomoushatred1001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xlr87t3 said:

Superman is actually fully capable of beating Sentry.

What? How is such a thing possible?! Sentry, being a nerd, is far more intelligent (his winning ability), is just as fast if not faster, is an expert at manipulating molecules (his winning ability), has pretty good telepathy (his winning ability), and the ability to have "limitless power". Please...EXPLAIN! You do realize that what you are saying could alter reality itself? Superman>Sentry>Thor. That little assessment will plague and decimate the Thor vs Superman battle threads worst than Wario's fart (which killed the dinosaurs)! You don't know what your getting into...please, I'm trying to help you. DON"T DO THIS, MAN!!!

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 vance_astro  Moderator

@xlr87t3 said:

What? How is such a thing possible?! Sentry, being a nerd, is far more intelligent (his winning ability), is just as fast if not faster, is an expert at manipulating molecules (his winning ability), has pretty good telepathy (his winning ability), and the ability to have "limitless power". Please...EXPLAIN! You do realize that what you are saying could alter reality itself? Superman>Sentry>Thor. That little assessment will plague and decimate the Thor vs Superman battle threads worst than Wario's fart (which killed the dinosaurs)! You don't know what your getting into...please, I'm trying to help you. DON"T DO THIS, MAN!!!

Sentry isn't undefeated....

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 vance_astro  Moderator

@haveatthee said:

He just seems like Marvel's satirical take on a Superman-analogue in an era where Marvel hired a bunch of inexperienced, overrated Indy writers to tinker with an entire pantheon of characters, so they decided to completely flaw all of the superheroes and have them fight each other. Sentry is the main representative of this era which drove me away from comics altogether for a long time.

There is nothing satirical about Sentry.

SkyRobo1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sentry is bad and I don't mean how he is but how he came to be. I cannot see the logic in how he got so much power in a bottle of Super-Soldier serum that was said to be more potent than what Captain America drank. Even if its 100x potent it should at least give him better stats than Captain America but to gain a cosmic level power over a bottle of SS serum doesn't make sense to me.

In terms of power. I can see that writers wants Sentry to be more powerful than Thor. In Siege Thor only killed him because he weakened himself to allow Thor to kill him. Though I assume only Thor's full power attack could do this. A few comments I've read in passing have said that anyone could have killed Sentry when he weakened himself in Siege but I think thats not true. I cannot see Captain America's shield bash, Hawkeye's exploding arrow or even Iron Man's chest beam being able to defeat even a weakened Sentry so it has to be Thor's.

New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:

Hulk can't beat Sentry because of his aura unless he's extremely mad but Thor is too slow to stop Sentry and they are going to have a huge fight again

Thor is fast enough to fight Sentry buddy.

New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90  Edited By New_World_Order

I honestly hope Thor beats the blonde of Sentry in Uncanny Avengers.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91  Edited By kgb725
XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xlr87t3 said:

I'm not saying that, or implying that. But I do ask for you to explain yourself, please.

XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly hope Thor beats the blonde out of Sentry in Uncanny Avengers.

Fixed it for you.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

@awesam: why do you think your life is the "most you can lose"? That's your problem right there. Any professional writer would know that...

Seriously though, there's way worst things than dying. So I don't get why people think dying is the worst thing, when you die you don't even get to reflect on it, it's over. Torture, rape, losing a loved one - these are all far worse as they cause physical, psychological or emotional trauma. Death just puts an end to your misery. So really a person who lives forever has the ability to be far more intersting as they can have forgotten more trauma than we could ever understand. That's why Wolverine and Thor are such intersting characters. Maybe not immortal, but damn near close and they're some of the most interesting characters in existence.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis said:

@awesam: why do you think your life is the "most you can lose"? That's your problem right there. Any professional writer would know that...

Seriously though, there's way worst things than dying. So I don't get why people think dying is the worst thing, when you die you don't even get to reflect on it, it's over. Torture, rape, losing a loved one - these are all far worse as they cause physical, psychological or emotional trauma. Death just puts an end to your misery. So really a person who lives forever has the ability to be far more intersting as they can have forgotten more trauma than we could ever understand. That's why Wolverine and Thor are such intersting characters. Maybe not immortal, but damn near close and they're some of the most interesting characters in existence.

Thank you!

I think one of the things that makes Thor so appealing and a way writers should lean towards is on Thor's compassion. When just a single person dies he feels it. That's why they should do more stories where he's forced to protect between two groups of people or planets, or races because at the end of day he'll still be devastated at the loss.

That's what I liked so much out of the Celestial storyline. Thor didn't hold back at all and the stakes were at their highest but you never onced fear for his life because that was the least of anyone's worries.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 vance_astro  Moderator

@xlr87t3 said:

@vance_astro said:

I'm not saying that, or implying that. But I do ask for you to explain yourself, please.

If Sentry has LOST fights to characters weaker than Superman or has been than why are we arguing that Superman CAN'T defeat the Sentry? All the stuff you're saying about telepathy, limitless power, being more intelligent, manipulating molecules etc. is irrelevant because that stuff applies in far less than half of his fights. Sentry also doesn't have comparable speed or strength feats. Thor actually has a better chance of beating Superman than Sentry does.

XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xlr87t3 said:

@vance_astro said:

If Sentry has LOST fights to characters weaker than Superman or has been than why are we arguing that Superman CAN'T defeat the Sentry? All the stuff you're saying about telepathy, limitless power, being more intelligent, manipulating molecules etc. is irrelevant because that stuff applies in far less than half of his fights. Sentry also doesn't have comparable speed or strength feats. Thor actually has a better chance of beating Superman than Sentry does.

OH MY GOD THANK YOU! I'm so glad that you said that Sentry is not as powerful as the writers try to make him be. Sentry always has been, and always will be, a nerd with issues, and I'm so glad that he can only unleash his nerd rage in the Void. So again, thanks because those annoying writers are always trying to trip us up with all this 'implied power' for the golden boy, and I'm glad that real men like Supes get to show their dominance on this site!

GodTriggerHulk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@vance_astro:

How did Hulk not beat Sentry? Robert collapsed, even if Hulk did temporarily turn back into Banner. In fact just moments later he went Worldbreaker.

As for the topic I like both Thor and Sentry.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 vance_astro  Moderator

@godtriggerhulk said:

@vance_astro:

How did Hulk not beat Sentry? Robert collapsed, even if Hulk did temporarily turn back into Banner. In fact just moments later he went Worldbreaker.

As for the topic I like both Thor and Sentry.

Because they both reverted into their human forms. As far as I'm concerned that's a draw. Sentry wasn't able to continue because he expended all his energy, not because Hulk was capable of physically knocking him out.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 vance_astro  Moderator

@xlr87t3 said:

OH MY GOD THANK YOU! I'm so glad that you said that Sentry is not as powerful as the writers try to make him be. Sentry always has been, and always will be, a nerd with issues, and I'm so glad that he can only unleash his nerd rage in the Void. So again, thanks because those annoying writers are always trying to trip us up with all this 'implied power' for the golden boy, and I'm glad that real men like Supes get to show their dominance on this site!

Writers never made him out to be more powerful than he was, he simply never showed what he is capable of in it's entirety. His power is tied to his mental stability and because he was mentally in bad shape most of the time, we never got to see what he was truly capable of. I don't know what is "nerdy" about Sentry, but he is supposed to be very intelligent when the Sentry persona is in control of the host (Robert Reynolds).