• 56 results
Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Female Thor, good or bad? (53 votes)

Good 21%
Bad 49%
Just want to see results 30%

Obviously she hasn't appeared yet, but I would just like to get an idea of whether or not the majority of people like this idea. My problems with it are: its interrupting Thor's current run, which is one of marvels best comics right now, being Thor isn't a mantle, its Thor's name and should not be passed down, a story like this has already been done (beta ray bill), and why can so many people lift mjolnir? People bring up Thor being a frog or beta ray bill being beta ray thor but just because something happened before doesnt mean it should happen again. Theres also the fact that she's a female. My problem isn't that a girl can loft mjolnir, its that she's being called Thor... Thor is a guys name and not one to be passed down. Kind of disrespectful to his character. Would WW fans like it a guy took over but still used the name wonder woman? Or if Supergirl decided she wanted to be called superman? Makes no sense.

One could also argue that its a publicity/financial stunt. Marvel has been doing a lot of rebooted series for the boost in number one issue sales and it has been working. The best example is the spiderman issue. Number ones sell. This number one will probably sell too. Marvel could just be doing this for that reason, the short term financial gain as they have had a pattern of doing. Marvel could also be doing this to show that they are "diverse" and willing to make "daring" changes to diversify themselves. Bad thinking. When they created black panther, they created a new superhero. Way different and way better than changing established ones like cap and Thor. Black panther stuck because he was new. Female Thor and falcon cap will not. We all know Thor and Steve will eventually come back which just makes this whole change seem even more cheap.

There's also the fact that Thor lost his worthiness because of the famous nick fury whisper. Perhaps when we find out what he whispered it will make more sense but Thor becoming unworthy in a huge event that wasn't even about him, with no explanation, and by a whisper from a character of no importance to the Thor mythos is already a crap start to this whole thing. It is just a waste of time.

But wait, maybe there's some positive to this. We get an unworthy Thor story. That can be cool. We also get to see thors abilities without mjolnir more in depth. And who knows, maybe the female Thor series will actually be good. Thor also is seen with a new shiny arm. Is this a metal arm? Or just armor? What causes him to use this arm/armor? That's something to find out too. Perhaps it even gives him new abilities. So what do you think now that the initial emotions have worn off? Or haven't they?

• 

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Imagine one day, wonder woman wakes up and she just isn't feeling up to it. Or she remembers something bad from her past. So some guy comes up, becomes the new god of war, takes her lasso and sword, and joins the Justice league as the new wonder woman! You'd feel pretty upset right?

NighThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

@jayc1324: I agree whole heartedly

I do not like the idea of female thir

KaraZor-el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its great

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Unlike the change with Captain America, I'm curious with what Marvel plans to do with this female Thor.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By FearTheLiving
I thought we were done with these topics for a while, or at least until she actually appeared...
I thought we were done with these topics for a while, or at least until she actually appeared...

Like I've been saying, I'm perfectly fine with the concept of woman taking the mantle of Thor. You can argue that it's his name (and it is) but it in a way it is also a mantle. There were other Thors who were not Thor Odinson he had the Thor Corps and he also had a human alias of Donald Blake. When you boil it down it's just a name and getting hung on her calling herself Thor is a little silly. I'll fully judge if this was a good move depending on if I like the new female Thor and the stories they'll now tell with a Mjolnir-less Thor Odinson. Add in that I'm sure enough fans will whine to make Marvel put Odinson back in the role anyways so there is little reason to complain about this.

Worst Case Scenario: This new Thor sucks, and Thor Odinson retakes the mantle.

Best Case Scenario: This new Thor is awesome and becomes an amazing character in her own right and becoming her own hero ala Beta Ray Bill a couple years down the line.

But hey call me an optimist.

Hollow_Point

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feartheliving: im pretty sure itll end up being your worst case, but like you, im hoping for your best case

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do not like it had it any ability to draw people to read it Thor Girl would have worked and it did not.

So it just looks like a waste of time.

They polled some women to see what they thought of the idea and almost all of them said.

They did not care and changing Thor was wrong and not the way to go about getting new readers. They could care less female Thor or male Thor they would not buy the comic.

So it is a lose readers stand point. How many people need to stand up and say. Please keep Thor as he is.

Do not change him just to appeal to a group of readers that would have no interest in comics as a large group.

Some going as far as saying they did not like the treatment of current fans and this lesson if there was one is the marvel has little loyalty to its reader base if they could so blatantly ignore the male part of its readers and some of its female base readers also say. They simply read and enjoy Thor as is. With the few saying they could care less they would read Female Thor but it made no sense to be called Thor and was not a females name at all.

Time will tell how it all goes down , I can only say for myself. No female Thor is bad if they want female Thor , give her a book of her own and leave male Thor alone.

Oh and take a lesson from animation and stop trying to rush the future of Thor he lives a long time just let him be the hero he can be. Not every story has to show the way future and his demise. Sometimes comics need to just get back to the basics. A good story about a hero fighting a good fight and keeping people safe.

Is that so hard to do?

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feartheliving: so you'd be perfectly fine if Hawkeye just starting aiming horribly one day and a girl decided to be called Clint Barton and take over? And like I said, because it happened before doesn't mean it should happen again. The fact that others have lifted mjolnir before just makes this story another copy, and makes the entire thing more cheap. Its just another "someone else lifts mjolnir story" but marvel wants to be "diverse" for a while so they use a girl but the whole thing is just a gimmick. I do hope female Thor stories are good though, I don't wanna be wasting me money on them.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

@feartheliving: so you'd be perfectly fine with a male wonder woman? And like I said, because it happened before doesn't mean it should happen again. The fact that others have lifted mjolnir before just makes this story another copy, and makes the entire thing more cheap. Its just another "someone else lifts mjolnir story" but marvel wants to be "diverse" for a while so they use a girl..

One of the reasons Wonder Women was created was to show females that Superman had a other half. A women that could resonate and respond in kind to the challenge before the world So a male Wonder Women already exist he is Superman he is just not called Wonder Man his name is Clark lol.

One reason you like the pair so much is they really were made for each other.

So to say lets make a female Thor and one day female Thor and male Thor will meet up. no does not work.

Sif is already equal to Thor his counter his balance or even the Enchantress or they live long enough both at some point have given Thor a reason to go on in the world.

We simply need stories that show case the marvel universe along with the changing of the times.

To address issues that face the world today.

They need to take more time to tell a great story and less time getting to the end.

Stop changing the characters and start changing the world he lives in the plot the people and the walk along the path.

Lets see what they can do with character not simply changing the character and the same old fights , same trolls used over and over again , same giants just a new club , same fire Giants just a new flame , same Loki but not Loki because Loki was never evil he was the god of tricks and things. So maybe trade Evil Loki for the real Loki and bring him on board for better stories and a great ally to the forces of good.

Create the epic tale people keep selling but really make the epic tale.

One with so much good action your forced to pause the thought because even the thought of what could happen leaves you glued to your seat screaming for more.

Use all your characters there plethora of characters to choose from and each and every characters has its own story to tell.

Where is Balder a character that is said to be able to make any women fall in love with him just on first sight.

When they can truly use what they have then worry about changing things to say well what if we make Thor use a feather duster and call him Chamber maid Thor best damn house maid in the nine realms?

"yes bloody well hell that was the most ugly chamber maid ever and she killed that damn villain with a feather duster"

Ok maybe not.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: It's a bit different Clint Barton was never his Super Name it's just his name, but there is Kate Bishop a female Hawkeye and I'm perfectly fine with it in fact she's awesome.

ALLCAPS_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ALLCAPS_34

@feartheliving: Brah, lol, where do you find all of those Hawkeye scans? You have one for like every instance.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feartheliving: Thor isn't his super name either, its just his name that his father gave him. Not a title or mantle like Hawkeye or batman of whatever. If she was just the new god of thunder it would make a little more sense but in an interview Jason Aaron said that she is Thor and will be called that. It would be like Kate Bishop deciding to be called Clint.

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

......boobs.

Jmarshmallow

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FearTheLiving

@jayc1324: His super name issss Thor it is also his name but it's the name the public identifies with the God of Thunder. If the public was calling Clint, Clint as a superhero then I could see your logic but they don't they called him Hawkeye.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By FearTheLiving
Well it's kind of my thing :P I must say I have been slacking on adding more though.
Well it's kind of my thing :P I must say I have been slacking on adding more though.

@allcaps_34:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feartheliving: If Clint Barton didn't go by Hawkeye, and used his real name, you'd be fine with Kate bishop using the name Clint?

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: It would be a little odd because he's just a man, but yeah it's just a name as long as Clint is still around doing his thing I couldn't care less what someone else is calling themselves. You also think I'm for her calling herself Thor that's not the case I'm not really in favor of it at all but I can get why she would call herself that; and I'm not going to crucify the character just because of it.

T_Aesir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feartheliving:

1 Marvel didn t create Thor name or myth, and even in marvel comics story s, he was Thor before he had mjolnir.

2 If this was a story for Thor Fans, i will give it a shot, but it s a publicity stunt to make headlines, and marvel in this process is disrespecting Thor long time fans, in every move, like in the O S 7, (What a stupid way to lose the hammer, it was only to force change).

3 The Chick has a name maybe it will be Frigg Wodendottir it s that i m gonna call her, but always crucify her character that is a publicity stunt.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#21  Edited By TheCheeseStabber

Good. Jason Aaron is writing a great Thor.

T_Aesir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By T_Aesir

@thecheesestabber: Not in Original Sin, only in Thor God of Thunder and he is not above the Character.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

@t_aesir: It wasn't that it was bad it was just weird an he should have lost his hammer in his own series. Which is an amazing series

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@t_aesir said:

@feartheliving:

1 Marvel didn t create Thor name or myth, and even in marvel comics story s, he was Thor before he had mjolnir.

2 If this was a story for Thor Fans, i will give it a shot, but it s a publicity stunt to make headlines, and marvel in this process is disrespecting Thor long time fans, in every move, like in the O S 7, (What a stupid way to lose the hammer, it was only to force change).

3 The Chick has a name maybe it will be Frigg Wodendottir it s that i m gonna call her, but always crucify her character that is a publicity stunt.

1. It's still their character and he's pretty different from the Norse Mythology version along with his supporting cast. Yes, and no. He started off as Donald Blake he was later retconed a handful of issues later to sort of fit that he was always Thor and that Odin made him live the life of Donald Blake. Either way this really isn't relevant to my argument that to Earth Thor is a symbol and a super name. Again I never said I'm fond of the choice but get why they chose it. Personally I'd rather they just call her something different it would stop a lot of the whining.

2. There is still a fair bit of mystery surrounding Original Sin #7 and even so it's not the how he become unworthy it's the journey of him dealing with being unworthy. Also even if that was done like crap (not saying it was) that's not something to put on the new Fem Thor it's her story and character itself you should be judging her on.

3. Stunt or not they want people to pick up the comics just like every other publisher so they want to try new things. Why was there a half black Wally West? And like I said if it fails Thor Odinson will be back in the role in no time so it's not something you should worry about. They aren't changing Thor's character other than his worthiness so really there is little to complain about.

Again maybe I'm just an optimist or don't see the point in complaining in something that's going to happen and will most likely revert in due time, add in Thor Odinson is still around and doing his own thing so you aren't missing him either.

T_Aesir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By T_Aesir

@feartheliving: You have valid points and i respect your opinion, but don t you think Thor as a special DNA that is different from other superheros that were created by marvel or dc, you are absolutely right, Thor from mythology has a lot of differences from Marvel s Thor, but a core essential element of both, its that he is a male and it s name, it s a birth name, that has Scandinavian origins, you touch the main problem, i didn t call her identity thief if she will go by her birth name, but for marvel that would t make a headline, and for that i will crucify her and marvel.

She is not Thor girl, she is not She Thor etc... She is the only Thor in marvel universe this was the first marvel statement for the female Thor introduction, judge by yourself how a long time Thor fan should react to this...

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@t_aesir: They never said she was the only Thor.

And the new volume will just be called "Thor," correct?

Right. I like that. If it's "Thor: Something" it's a different kind of book. You pick up this book and it just says "Thor" on the cover, which features a new female version of Thor. It's pretty much telling you she's not She-Thor or Lady Thor. She's not Thorika. She is Thor. This is the new Thor. So I like that part of it.

Does that mena the old Thor isn't going anywhere? Will he still very much be a part of this new book?

Yes, Thor Odinson, the Prince of Asgard, will still be around. He's still Thor. That's his birth name. He's unworthy of Mjolnir, but he'll still have a role to play. If you've seen the cover of one of Jonathan Hickman's upcoming "Avengers" issues where it flashes forward into the future you see what appears to be Thor holding his axe, Jarnbjorn. So that's kind of a glimpse into our book's future as well. That's kind of where we've been heading.

Again it all goes back to what I've set up in "God of Thunder" where we had these three different versions of Thor -- the young rambunctious Thor who wasn't yet worthy of picking up his hammer, present day Thor the Avenger, and then grumpy old King Thor. We'll continue to see those other versions, but we'll also start to see present day Thor becoming more of an amalgam of those other two versions.

Source

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By Fallschirmjager

I don't overly care about Thor as a character either way, but purely from the perspective of someone who hates media grabs, this is clearly nothing but in a string of such acts. The worse part is, is that it worked.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

She deserves it after the beating Thor got unworthy.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I care as much about king Thor as I do Mastro Hulk. In short I find them offensive.

Why do I worry so much about a future that is no where near?

Give us Stories of Thor today what Thor the god of Thunder is doing. Not Thor the female whom stole his identity and expects fans to be ok with it and continue to read about some female with issues of her own self worth that she has to take the identity of somebody else.

Why would I wish to see that?

T_Aesir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

T_Aesir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feartheliving: Dont try to hide it, that interview was after the first press release...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54067

“This is not She-Thor. This is not Lady Thor. This is not Thorita. This is THOR. This is the THOR of the Marvel Universe. But it’s unlike any Thor we’ve ever seen before.”

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By tensor
T_Aesir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tensor: That isn t over yet, still 5.4 and 5.5, but it was another poor writing and Angela easily beat Thor, that is what less concerns me i don like characters only for the fights, win or loss.

What has Angela fight to do with Thor being unworthy?

TG_54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's about as good as a black superman..

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By FearTheLiving

@t_aesir: I didn't hide anything. He then goes on to saying that Thor is still Thor it is his name after all and that he will play a part as well.

Being the "Thor" of the Marvel Universe is referring to the mantle they aren't taking away his name.

T_Aesir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By FearTheLiving

@t_aesir: Why would you want to go by the first statement that confused people? lol

It's not like anything in that interview denies anything from their original statement it just explains it more.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@t_aesir: It was never made for him and the way she beat him without even having the hammer..Time for him to show he is better than the hammer and he can do without.I like this directionThor is the God of Thunder.He needs to show the he is better than the hammer and act more like a God.

Avatar image for termiteone4ever
termiteone4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Finally A version of Wonder wonder woman :) . Yes worthy Angela :) From spawn days :) well done :)

Now weak Thor as i always claim .Speed / Aka / Blitz runs this show .:) Angela is clearly \ weaker gave him a speedy beat down. This is how it has always been :)Thor throws his hammer the character evades excuse me the weaker character evades then its all out beat down for Thor.

This has been consistent in marvel .

:) Thor is an interesting character but these are weakness that has proven over the years . He needs time to cast large magic throwing his strongest weapon away leave him open . I cant wait for Angela Power up

T_Aesir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feartheliving: Because marvel first statement was the publicity stunt, not Jason Aaron interview...

T_Aesir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By T_Aesir

@tensor: Man by your first post i thought you were in the topic only to make fun of the character, but i love your plot if the new female Thor go by her birth name, but how do you know the hammer was not made for him, Fury whisper???

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By FearTheLiving

@t_aesir: Well he is writing Thor... so I imagine what he has to say should probably be heard. I'm also not saying you're wrong either this may very well be a publicity stunt; but like I said they want to sell comics. It's a business they want new readers; so they feel like they have to shake up the norm from time to time to get them. Every company does it. We may like it or hate it they have to try something because chances are even if a book is amazing it doesn't grab the attention of non-readers. Either way I'm not going to tear into it until I read and judge it for myself.

T_Aesir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By T_Aesir

@feartheliving: Agree, but you said the run was so good, and the sales weren t dropping why change? I think Jason Aaron is risking a lot with this change...

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@t_aesir: Greater the risk, the better the reward ;) I suppose we'll see come Thor #1 and the titles leading up to it.

T_Aesir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By T_Aesir

@termiteone4ever: Characters can t be constructed only by their powers or their fights, Angela is an interesting character but not only because she is powerful, but because she is the long lost daughter of Asgard, if she wasn t in Thor world she would t be that interesting, in my opinion...

Angela Asgard Assassin (November)

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54271

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@t_aesir: I am guessing.I am just going by what happen in the comic.

1.Thor was shock but by what he already knows he has a sister.

2.The Fact Iron man was Line was Thor looks like he is trying to pick up his hammer.In the way he said it is like the writer hinting that it might not be his.

3.Seeing Thor not worthy and cannot lift the hammer just have me guessing it does not belong to him.We all know that when the hammer is like this only a person who is worthy can lift it.Thor has been doing it all his life why not now.Just thinking Nick might have said a chant saying the original owners name who is worthy.

All and all I am just guessing.Just have to wait and see.One fact is that Thor does get back the hammer,as we see in the future with King Thor.Just have to see how it is all done.

T_Aesir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tensor: Ok... Then who is your bet to be the Thor female Frigg???

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By HaveAtThee

The way it was conjured up is quite moronic, and it's merely a publicity stunt to boost sales in the short-term. Thor, Cap and Iron Man will be restored to the status quo just in time for the Avengers sequel. I would not have minded a story where Thor loses the ability to wield Mjolnir, but the way he lost it is literally trolling at its finest.

T_Aesir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By T_Aesir

@haveatthee: How i wish you were right, but Avengers 2 is in may of 2015 and the event "time runs out" is a summer 2015 event, an by the pics Thor still unworthy, with the Jarnbjorn.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=53324

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=54436

No Caption Provided