Does Christopher Yost hate Thor ?

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I ask this because on this site a lot of people say that Chros Yost hates thor. Is this true or is just hot air blown from a bag pipe ?

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

All I know is he is king of spiders atm

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By z3ro180

@fallschirmjager: yah I read superior team up and it was awesome...apart from the art, god the art was bad :/

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

@fallschirmjager: yah I read superior team up and it was awesome...apart from the art, god the art was bad :/

I don't.

But Scarlet Spider is terrific.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bump

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

most likley. he doesn't seem to have any respect or remorse for THOR.

plus his name makes him sound like a frost giant.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for thegodofthunder
TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheGodofThunder

@z3ro180: I read an interview where he said he didn't like Thor, but I am unable to find it. I also know that in the commentary for Hulk vs. Thor, he is pretty derogatory towards the character and the fans saying something along the lines of "We kept the outcome of the wolverine/hulk battle ambiguous for respect to the fans." That line was on the wolverine vs hulk portion though.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thegodofthunder: the more I hear about it the more it seems that Yost really does hate Thor.

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I doubt it. Just because somebody isn't good at writing a character doesn't mean they hate them. Same thing as Geoff Johns and Batman.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not sure about "hate," but it definitely seems that Quesada, Millar, Bendis and Yost don't "get" how to write him, so they dumb him down to desperately try and "humanize" him because they are better at writing street-level characters. Most writers nowadays lack the imagination that Kirby, Thomas, Buscema and Simonson had when it came to writing about powerful/cosmic characters.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#13 SC  Moderator

I'm going to guess that Christopher Yost actually likes Thor, given how many Thor projects he has been on and how often he has elected to give the character a cameo. Just because a writer doesn't portray a character as always winning or clearly looking superior to other characters strength or power wise doesn't necessarily mean they hate them either, or that they are trying to disrespect the character and their fans.

I think some fans can get the idea that a writer may hate a character if they don't portray them a certain way, but such fans can neglect really important factors with characters portrays, things like the medium, the market, plot needs, story balancing, marketing, editorial influence and so on. Like Yost was involved in the Hulk vs Thor animation for example, and some fans were really annoyed by that and I can see why, but thats not really Yost's fault even if one was to view it as a "problem" which it necessarily isn't is.

That also being said he could actually hate the character but is required for various reasons to be involved in projects also involving the character, but presumably he'd do his best to be professional about it. Along these same lines all the different writers and artists could potentially hate all the different characters, who knows really. All I know is that Yost wrote an issue of Avenging Spider-Man that I thought portrayed Thor favorably.

XIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i find it funny that people believe writers hate characters they have agreed to write for. i dunno what is more silly, the concept or the possibility of being true. but... whatever

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xiii said:

i find it funny that people believe writers hate characters they have agreed to write for. i dunno what is more silly, the concept or the possibility of being true. but... whatever

I would agree to write a batman comic and make him get killed by robin. It would be so cool.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorson: I think your an in the closet batman fan. You constantly bring up batman in non batman related things and you call everyone a bat fanboy. I bet you own all the batman stuff.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

@thorson: I think your an in the closet batman fan. You constantly bring up batman in non batman related things and you call everyone a bat fanboy. I bet you own all the batman stuff.

it was just an example. he stated, that if he hated THOR then he wouldn't have agreed to write for him. Yet he treats THOR like crap.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thorson: still I think yu like Batman more than thor.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Naw.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Yost does not Thor, he does hate Wolverine, though. Remember those times when SpOck and Kaine defeated Wolverine ?

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By tigerkaya

Personally I believe Loeb hates Thor more. From an Avengers Assemble ep. Thor was turned into a Hulk and still had his ass beat by Hulk. Now does that sound like someone who likes Thor? In truth Yost had more respect for Thor than Loeb ever did. One of my favorite scenes from EMH was when Thor unleashed a god blast on Graviton, badass right their.

LeeSensei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

^Just because they don't right Thor as the most powerful character doesn't mean that he dislike him. Maybe it just means that he just likes the Hulk more.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL @ those who use the term "plot needs" and "story balancing" as reasons for the garbage that was "Hulk v. Thor." Those are lazy excuses for awful writing. Yost's work in EMH was great when he was basing the stories off the classic iterations of the characters, because the classic works were imaginative and served the characters. These days it's "COME ON, GUYS THE PLOT HAS TO WORK BLAH BLAH BLAH." It's why overrated and utterly emotionless and unimaginative works like "Infinity" are lauded as masterful works.

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

LOL @ those who use the term "plot needs" and "story balancing" as reasons for the garbage that was "Hulk v. Thor." Those are lazy excuses for awful writing. Yost's work in EMH was great when he was basing the stories off the classic iterations of the characters, because the classic works were imaginative and served the characters. These days it's "COME ON, GUYS THE PLOT HAS TO WORK BLAH BLAH BLAH." It's why overrated and utterly emotionless and unimaginative works like "Infinity" are lauded as masterful works.

What made Thor's showing so bad in Infinity compared to to worse crap like Siege and AvsX. Both had Thor being slapped left and right with very little showing of actually hurting anyone.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yost is THOR's kryptonite.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@z3ro180 said:

@thorson: still I think yu like Batman more than thor.

why would anyone hate a guy that has to win all the time and wears a hideous costume? batman is simply the best and my favourite wanks in comics.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 SC  Moderator

@haveatthee said:

Except that awful writing and story balancing aren't always mutually exclusive. So no one should say that because story balancing occurs that a story can't be awful thus its not an excuse. Only if one assumes that by appealing to story balancing the story is automatically good would one be using it as an excuse. It would be like me saying that the reason you say Yosts work in EMH was great is just an excuse because it wasn't great at all because I hated it all and anyone who says otherwise is just making excuses.

To go back to story balancing, Thor has fought characters like Glory and Galactus and come out as the victor. Was that awful writing or was that story balancing? Or shockingly could they have been good stories? Thor the underdog and protagonist, reaching deep down into his inner well to unleash a legendary power that allowed him to overcome a much greater and powerful cosmic threat? Makes a better story in general than the powerful antagonist doing the same thing.

I personally though Hulk Vs Thor writing was poor, but mainly how it treated characters like Sif, Warriors Three and Hela, as much as the premise. Then again to me it seemed primarily written for kids, and having too many characters looking strong could devalue the main characters for those unable to invest in multiple characters to a certain degree. I'd disagree with that too, but its a common practice with stories aimed at children. One can still be critical, hell it can even help to be critical to be understanding of how stories plots and character depictions come about instead of throwing out subjective colloquial terms.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By z3ro180

@thorson: So your love for batman boarders on the...let's say passionate side of the fence.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc: I see your point, and my response was perhaps too caustic, but I digress. In my opinion, writers and editors should try and work together to at least adhere to some type of precedent when handling an intellectual property with a rich history. You can definitely achieve balance and strike imagination at the same time with some creativity and brainstorming. These days, the editors (it's specifically a Quesada initiative) are giving quite a bit of leeway to the writers--many of whom former Indy writers outside their usual comfort zone--to use the characters as little more than glorified props for their own ideas and direction. I commend the autonomy that is given and the freedom that writers have enjoyed, but it can definitely be detrimental to readers, specifically longtime readers of a certain character. Like I said earlier, with Yost, it's probably not that he "hates" Thor, but perhaps he has a harder time writing him and/or using him for his ideas than someone like, say, Hawkeye (who is simpler to write).

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SC  Moderator

@haveatthee said:

@sc: I see your point, and my response was perhaps too caustic, but I digress. In my opinion, writers and editors should try and work together to at least adhere to some type of precedent when handling an intellectual property with a rich history. You can definitely achieve balance and strike imagination at the same time with some creativity and brainstorming. These days, the editors (it's specifically a Quesada initiative) are giving quite a bit of leeway to the writers--many of whom former Indy writers outside their usual comfort zone--to use the characters as little more than glorified props for their own ideas and direction. I commend the autonomy that is given and the freedom that writers have enjoyed, but it can definitely be detrimental to readers, specifically longtime readers of a certain character. Like I said earlier, with Yost, it's probably not that he "hates" Thor, but perhaps he has a harder time writing him and/or using him for his ideas than someone like, say, Hawkeye (who is simpler to write).

Hey its alright, sometimes when making a point its better to do it with some vigor. After all we are Thor fans ^_^.

I agree with you, I didn't like the idea that Matt Fraction should be put on Thor because he was an up and coming writer and putting a big name writer with a big name character and that hype would lead to good things for them both and the company. Granted I liked Fractions Thor one shots set in the past, but that was a cockier younger Thor. Those stories set in past were okay to have that type of Thor. Fractions modern day Thor was subsequently much less than what we were accustomed to, and unfortunately Fraction went on to give Thor a rare starring role in an event when the writers before and after him JMS and Aaron would have probably crafted a much more epic and true to the character story. That being said as you say some writers - like my example Fraction is a lot better with characters like Hawkeye and Iron Fist. So its really annoying to me that the last two writers to involve Thor in a Marvel event were Fraction and Bendis and not say Aaron or JMS or Oeming.

I also do not like the idea of stories dumbing down these characters. Appealing to the lowest common denominator so to speak because of the idea they can't handle too much complexity. I think its this that leads to people thinking Thor is **just** the god of lightning, when he was associated with fertility, healing and strength as well. Though at the same time I can understand why some Marvel TV guy will justify that kids being kids - if they ever do a cartoon they should have Thor fly around twirling lightning here and there. Which is to say I don't think there is always malice or hostility towards Thor by creators just oversimplification and misplaced priorities.

archaengel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Worst. News. Ever.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/30/the-dark-worldas-craig-kyle-and-christopher-yost-to-write-thor-3

Yost is returning for Thor 3. I love what Yost did for Earth's Mightiest Heroes and Scarlet Spider, but he is the worst thing to happen to Thor. Hulk vs. Thor and Thor: TDW were both a severe disservice to the Thor character. I was hoping for Thor 3 to finally show how awesome Thor is (both his immense power and his personality), but this will probably be just another example of Thor getting his Assgardian being handed to him yet again

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully Thor 3 will be better. I felt Thor 2 was too Loki centric.

phisigmatau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Worst. News. Ever.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/01/30/the-dark-worldas-craig-kyle-and-christopher-yost-to-write-thor-3

Yost is returning for Thor 3. I love what Yost did for Earth's Mightiest Heroes and Scarlet Spider, but he is the worst thing to happen to Thor. Hulk vs. Thor and Thor: TDW were both a severe disservice to the Thor character. I was hoping for Thor 3 to finally show how awesome Thor is (both his immense power and his personality), but this will probably be just another example of Thor getting his Assgardian being handed to him yet again

the movie was sooo successful. How could they not. If MoS and DK was any indication, the general public doesn't care about a super powered invulnerable "speed and strength feating" hero. They like a relatable guy like Bale's Wayne or Amazing Spider-Man's Parker, with limitations and an incredible plot. Look I want as much as any Thor fan for him to face off against Celestials and Surtur and look good doing it, But the best grossing Thor film to date has him getting his face pounded. Hopefully the next movie Thor is alot more viable but remember he did face off against an amped malekith and the battle was pretty neat.

Also EMH had some incredible Thor moments.

-Only hero left to fight against the leader after he mind wiped everyone with mutant gas. Thor, due to his high invulnerability and deity status, was unaffected.
-Lowered the whole freaking island of Manhattan down after gravitron lifted it up.
-kicked but against some villian, dont remember if it was ultron or whatever but yeah he did his thing.

I suggest you watch that series again. The worst jobbin anyone got in EMH was hulk. He lost to Black widow one on one. Yes Black Widow and it took like 20 seconds.

archaengel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@phisigmatau: I entirely agree with you. I guess I'm just frustrated and nervous. Craig Kyle is also writing for it and his Tales of Asgard was a rather poor story too. However, Kyle might have possibly talked about a Ragnarok movie, which I would be totally okay with. Earth's Mightiest Heroes absolutely had some great Thor action in it and I guess that's why I expected Thor 2 to be more packed than it was. I expected to see a godblast (like he sort of did on Graviton) or at least some lightning.

All in all I enjoyed Thor 2, but maybe I'm being too picky because he is my favorite. I mean, MoS made Clark relatable yet badass so it's not a stretch for Thor. And his final fight with Malekith was rather frustrating because he was trying to summon his hammer the entire time he was getting his butt whooped. Still, you may have given me hope that Thor 3 could be better yet. We'll have to see

Avatar image for thegodofthunder
TheGodofThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I used to be on the band wagon that Chris Yost hated Thor and I must admit that it was probably my irrational anger getting the better of me, BUT!!!! though he may not hate the character, it is pretty clear that he doesn't favor him/has trouble writing him. Yeah Thor had some good showings in EMH, but he also had a ton of very low showings as well. I don't even have to mention Hulk vs Thor. I think everyone already knows about that abomination. Lastly, Thor 2 had such piss poor fight scenes, it wasn't even funny. Kurse beating thor into the ground without thor getting a shot is not what I call entertainment. Yes, obviously kurse is stronger, but at least make it a decent fight! He had one good hit on Malekith and then the rest of the fight was just them tumbling around for cgi and comedic purposes. Thor barely even used lightning! If this is true, I may not even see thor 3 in theaters, which greatly saddens me as he is my favorite super hero.

Fifthchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc said:

I also do not like the idea of stories dumbing down these characters. Appealing to the lowest common denominator so to speak because of the idea they can't handle too much complexity. I think its this that leads to people thinking Thor is **just** the god of lightning, when he was associated with fertility, healing and strength as well. Though at the same time I can understand why some Marvel TV guy will justify that kids being kids - if they ever do a cartoon they should have Thor fly around twirling lightning here and there. Which is to say I don't think there is always malice or hostility towards Thor by creators just oversimplification and misplaced priorities.

I cant see how this counts as "dumbing down" Thor - when has the Marvel Universe Thor ever been portrayed as the God of Fertility, Healing or even Strength? Would the character be more sophisticated if he could boost peoples sperm counts? Theres no reason the comic version has to mimic the mythological version in every way and in fact from the beginning hes been in a lot of ways, quite different.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SC  Moderator

@fifthchild said:

Well its relative isn't it. For example have there ever been any stories where you felt a character was being simplified unnecessarily? Then can you mention that? Then would you suddenly feel different if others crafted possible reasons why the simplification was necessary. We know for fact that as far as story telling, there are certain guidelines that are encouraged through various means. Story wise, artistically. One example is that artists are generally asked to be heavy on poses and frames that include iconic aspects of characters. They shouldn't inadvertently cut off a frame where Cap might be holding his shield or Wolverine having his claws out. The reasons are valid but many good story tellers can stray from the idea that readers need to be constantly reminded of these connections and an artist might be skilled enough to give characters distinguishing details to lessen the need for visual identifiers and so you can have stories where some characters not only aren't always holding a weapon a certain way but even dressing in a uniform plain manner. Its not automatically more sophisticated but it can be.

I am not sure who is saying that the comic version of Thor has to mimic the mythological version in every way? Its like if I were to say that the current version is absolutely different in every way, when thats not accurate either, it comes down to relativity, discretion and personal preference.

FlashKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 19

If he hates Thor then why did he write Thor: The Dark World and sign a contract to do Thor 3?

seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

If he hates Thor then why did he write Thor: The Dark World and sign a contract to do Thor 3?

I imagine because they paid him to do it and it is a task that probable pays well.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By HaveAtThee

" Hopefully the next movie Thor is alot more viable but remember he did face off against an amped malekith and the battle was pretty neat."

The final battle sucked ass with the whole jumping-through-realms bit. Half the time they were showing Jane, Selvig and Darcy running around like morons with the Dark Elves completely baffled chasing after them. Then, an amped Malekith with one of the Infinity gems in possession is defeated by a human science project. Not once did Thor call forth a giant storm or use any of his power. Just swing the hammer and blast an occasional bolt. For my money that was some AWFUL plotting.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flashknight said:

I imagine because they paid him to do it and it is a task that probable pays well.

so he can make THOR look like krap.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He wrote Thor 1 and 2 so probably.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points