Do You Believe Thor is Still Arrogant??

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

In a recent thread a member states Thor loses the battle because of his arrogance. We all know arrogant Thunder God he used to be, but with recent showings do you all think he is still as arrogant as he was? Furthermore do you think because he fights stronger opponents that he's arrogant? Please elaborate.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No I do not.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think he fights stronger opponents because he's a brave warrior and actually loves fighting. As for arrogance, not as much as he was before. He's been humbled a lot lately whole fighting surtur and gorr and guys like that. It would be stupid for arrogance to be a reason he's unworthy now.

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Jmarshmallow

What I believe is that he's now a woman.

Jmarshmallow

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Cream_God

No, he's just brave, arrogance was only a issue in his classic comics, funny how they can try to use his arrogance from back in the day but god forbid you use a scan from back in the day....ugh im really tired of debates with Thor :/

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By uugieboogie

@jayc1324 said:

I think he fights stronger opponents because he's a brave warrior and actually loves fighting. As for arrogance, not as much as he was before. He's been humbled a lot lately whole fighting surtur and gorr and guys like that. It would be stupid for arrogance to be a reason he's unworthy now.

No it doesn't have to do with the whole unworthy things. I was just in thread & the guys only reason for Thor losing the battle was because he's arrogant. The said he's not like WW, Supes or Bats because they fight for hope & Thor fights for his arrogance. He said Thor fighting DS Sentry (even though Sentry was literally about to kill Wasp) was an act of arrogance. He said because Thor charged Galactus head & fought SS (even thought he was protecting the cosmic seed thing & asgard) that he always fought them out of his arrogance.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, he's just brave, arrogance was only a issue in his classic comics, funny how they can try to use his arrogance from back in the day but god forbid you use a scan from back in the day....ugh im really tired of debates with Thor :/

EXACTLY

Avatar image for deactivated-5dace575ce059
deactivated-5dace575ce059

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By uugieboogie

@jayc1324 said:

@captain_batman_ftw ^^^^

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Jeremy1989

He has more humility than the entire Marvel Universe combined.

Avatar image for New_World_Order
New_World_Order

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You still quite arrogant, but not nearly as much as he used to be in the classic days.

Apocalypse3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes but a lot les than before.

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's funny how you made this thread and told everyone a lie, I never said that sinestro would win the battle because of thor's arrogance, I said that his arrogance would get the best of him, that was the only thing I said and look how far you go to prove something even when there is evidence to the contrary.

That wasn't the only thing, but you thought that I called thor arrogant because he went up against stronger foes.

I'm talking about his mindset, but you are too damn ignorant to know that.

Haven't you seen when he fights? How cooky he is?

Don't tag me back, seriously, don't tag me, it's just like the punch vs wall situation.

Nothing happens when I engage.

captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just said that he was arrogant, not as badly as classic thor, but you're taking it to a whole 'nother level.

It's funny how you keep lying so much, I never said that thor loses because of arrogance, I said it would get the best of him.

You also thought that thor could energy drain parallax.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I agree with this statement.

captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never said that thor was arrogant because he saved Jen from sentry, I said that he was arrogant in that situation because later on he thought that he could beat sentry even knowing his power levels.

Don't lie.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Thor is still arrogant and he always will be. That's part of his charm and it's not the reason he lost.

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola said:

@jeremy1989 said:

I agree with this statement.

I agree with this to one reason for unworthy Thor is a lame idea again.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#20 SC  Moderator

Arrogance isn't a fixed stat in the same way say height is. I mean for particularly rigid individuals it could be, but my main point is that people's levels of arrogance, humility and so on tend to fluctuate and also develop in ways that may also fluctuate just over longer periods. With fictional characters its even more inconsistent as it can depend on how a writer thinks a character will behave.

I got the impression from Fraction's Thor that he wanted to write a more arrogant Thor, to better mirror movie Thor, but JMS's Thor I was very fond of and Gillen's Thor seemed to continue his characterization fairly well, so Fraction's Thor felt like regression. Other writers Thor… depends. Aaron's playing with three Thor's with the youngest the most arrogant and in a way I love. Modern day Thor feels more responsible and mature but with a nice cheeky side so I think Aaron's modern Thor is a nice mix. Incidentally I also liked Fraction's younger Thor in one shot issues.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

At best I think he has a lot of pride but that's a big part of his character. Thor has often put his pride aside for the good of others e.g The Last Days of Midgard recently. Thor's been a lot more humble and has a lot more humility compared to his brash and arrogant youth. As for the reason why he loses battles, it's mainly because

1. He holds back on Midgard.
  2. He doesn't use his hammer's full range of versatility, instead preferring hammer strikes and hammer throws with maybe the occasional weather manipulation.
  3. He has street level combat speed and reflexes.
uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_batman_ftw: No you don't understand his mindset , you already admitted to not even reading his recent releases lol . You confuse pride with arrogance which shows you don't know the difference between the two .

You have NO other explanation why Thor would lose that fight , the entire thread you spent trying to argue me down stating that he's arrogant & that'll get the best of him & he'd lose .

You said Thor continued to fight DS Sentry because he was arrogant & thought he could win . WRONG ! Sentry was attacking Wasp , is Thor suppose to just sit back & watch that ? You really make ZERO sense with your claims . Even ppl backing you on that thread said your examples didn't display his arrogance .

You said Old King Thor was arrogant because he thought he could beat Galactus , WRONG ! He didn't even initially want to fight Galactus he even tried to reason with him first . Thor even talked about himself dying on earth that day so exactly how did he display arrogance ? Because he wanted to protect earth ? Mind you his mother is earths elder goddess , Thor will always feel a sort of connection with earth . If you ACTUALLY read the comic instead of quoting what you've seen someone post on here you would know that . If you actually read TGOT you would see the difference in the Thor's & you'd see how selfless & humble current Thor is .

I NEVER said he could drain Parallax , lol I said what's stopping him from draining Sinestro shields & his ring . I already Sinestro beats him but only with parallax . You got mad because I debunked your claims on him being arrogant & you starting ranting nonsense lol .

The fact of the matter is you admitted to not even reading recent Thor books . You got your info from what other ppl said on here & YouTube videos . Don't talk about a character when you have no knowledge of the character . Seriously read TGOT & you'll see the things Thor has done . & if you don't want to get tagged then don't comment plain & simple . If you leave a comment it's free game for anyone to respond to .

Thor_Donar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Thor_Donar

Thor is not arrogant he is confident, and if well written, he has no fear from any battle and to die in it with honor it's his and every Asgardian (Aesir) ultimate goal, all the Aesir characters in Asgard are confident in battle it's their Dna, even in marvel comics!

The vikings superiority in combat doesn't come from arrogance, but from not being afraid to die in combat, i think a lot of comic book fans misunderstood what was the vikings (Germanic People) religion, and what it means in battle, and sometimes not even marvel portrays this subject in the most assertive way.

uugieboogie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By uugieboogie

@thor_donar: Great Explanation ! The way Vikings felt about dying in battle is similar to the Greek Spartans . They weren't afraid of death on the battlefield .

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm getting the feeling that this thread will soon turn to an argument that originally started elsewhere.

But back to the point. I don't think Thor is arrogant, like others I also think that Thor is prideful more than anything else and often puts this aside when the time calls for it (such as Midgard threats and so on). I wouldn't be surprised if Thor was ever interpreted or portrayed as being arrogant, I'd put the blame on Marvel in that case.

Thor_Donar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_donar: Great Explanation ! The way Vikings felt about dying in battle is similar to the Greek Spartans . They weren't afraid of death on the battlefield .

With the difference that Spartans were trained since childhood to every combat scenario even dead, and Vikings believe (religion) that the only way to go to Valhalla was to die in combat with honor, the religion always were/is one of the most powerful positive/negative motivations of the human mind.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

yes at times.

Clark_EL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

He is, but not as much as he used to be.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

No, not really.

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He isn't even close to being arrogant in my opinion. He's displayed high levels of selflessness quite a bit and he's the type that'll even sit alone and conversate with his hammer for moral support.

I see it as Thor being one of the more humble characters in Marvel.

Hyperlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

He takes pride in being an asgardain and in being a god, which he should. I believe he has a certain amount of arrogance but thats expected considering his title and place among his peers. Doesnt mean he isnt a good hero. You dont need to be a perfect man to be a great hero

XLR87T3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By XLR87T3

I'm getting the feeling that this thread will soon turn to an argument that originally started elsewhere.

But back to the point. I don't think Thor is arrogant, like others I also think that Thor is prideful more than anything else and often puts this aside when the time calls for it (such as Midgard threats and so on). I wouldn't be surprised if Thor was ever interpreted or portrayed as being arrogant, I'd put the blame on Marvel in that case.

He takes pride in being an asgardain and in being a god, which he should. I believe he has a certain amount of arrogance but thats expected considering his title and place among his peers. Doesnt mean he isnt a good hero. You dont need to be a perfect man to be a great hero

Thor is still arrogant and he always will be. That's part of his charm and it's not the reason he lost.

@lvenger said:

At best I think he has a lot of pride but that's a big part of his character. Thor has often put his pride aside for the good of others e.g The Last Days of Midgard recently. Thor's been a lot more humble and has a lot more humility compared to his brash and arrogant youth. As for the reason why he loses battles, it's mainly because

1. He holds back on Midgard.
  2. He doesn't use his hammer's full range of versatility, instead preferring hammer strikes and hammer throws with maybe the occasional weather manipulation.
  3. He has street level combat speed and reflexes.

@captain_batman_ftw: No you don't understand his mindset , you already admitted to not even reading his recent releases lol . You confuse pride with arrogance which shows you don't know the difference between the two .

Being "Prideful" and being "Arrogance" are the same definition!