2017 Thor Ragnarok should be focused on?

• 48 results
Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll 2017 Thor Ragnarok should be focused on? (39 votes)

Comics and possibly Walter Simonson Surtur Saga. 38%
Norse Mythology and the End of All Things. 21%
Mcu tie ins with Thanos as the Antagonist behind the scenes. 8%
A combination of the previous options. 31%
Other elements that weren't mentioned in any of the previous options. 3%
 • 
Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Hope we are gonna see RKT or KT.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First option. Thor 2 was just to set up the aether and took little from the comics. This one needs to forger about Thanos and the avengers and just be about Thor fighting to end the cycle, and we need to see more of surtur and Odin. This should be a very awesome movie if they follow the comics at least a little bit, and not just use this to tie into the avengers infinity war

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope we are gonna see RKT or KT.

I think that will happen only in the Infinity War Part 2, In the end of the Ragnarok and Infinity War part 1 i think we will see King Loki.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Asgaard

@cgoodness said:

@asgaard: with KL does that mean we get

No Caption Provided

I wouldn't mind still better than Jane and the intern of the intern, to the Ragnarok be epic i think Thor and Odin should die with Valhallan glory, then we have King Loki that after fail against Thanos in Infinity War Part I, will bring back The Original Avengers to life with the infinity stones or his usual deals and schemes, Loki is heavily connected to the Avengers original team in comics and the Mcu. (Just an unfounded Theory)

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard Since it's titled Thor: Ragnarok it should be focused on the twilight of the gods, and there are at least a couple storylines from the comics they could use and referencing the actual mythology. I suspect though that it will be more a tie-in and set-up for Infinity War with Thanos as the main protagonist, or possibly having Loki set events into motion to remove Asgard and the gods as an obstacle to his plan. I could see Loki being the only one left and on the throne of an empty and shattered Asgard, then, as you said, bringing Thor and who knows who else back after it becomes apparent his partnership with Thanos isn't as beneficial as he may have first thought.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Something good, for once.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

How about this guy for a change? The second movie Thor was literally a supporting character at best. It was also Marvel's awful attempt at trying to attract the Twilight audience with the awful Jane Foster romance/Aether saga.

Ragnarok should focus on exactly that. The end of all things. Give the Thor mythos a dignified ending that it deserves.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I went with option one, but more because I'm thinking of what the general audience would enjoy along with long time Thor fans. While I would pick option two for my own sake, they've already deviated from Thor being a true god and aligning Asgard with aliens so Norse mythology would take too much of a beating. I do think they will make it very Thanos heavy due to tying it up with the rest of the MCU but it could turn out okay if they do it right.

I just want more Asgardian might and power.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola said:

I went with option one, but more because I'm thinking of what the general audience would enjoy along with long time Thor fans. While I would pick option two for my own sake, they've already deviated from Thor being a true god and aligning Asgard with aliens so Norse mythology would take too much of a beating. I do think they will make it very Thanos heavy due to tying it up with the rest of the MCU but it could turn out okay if they do it right.

Yes, have the golden realm shine brightly as it deserves... and no, that doesn't mean adding more lens flare to every scene. :-P

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola: Well said, Thor fighting Jörmungandr ala Norse Mythology style would never fit the Mcu world building, and Odin fighting Fenrir would be even more Odd, not to say that this creatures never could be Loki's offspring in a live action movie, Heimdall vs Loki is the only original Norse Mythology fight that can happen, curious if this fight will really happen in this movie, and i also think that Thanos can fit this movie but the plot should never be centered in him and his motivations, the main plot has to be focused in the the Asgardians like you also said... Guess we also share some similar views in movies... If BRB is in the movie due to his connections to Surtur, we know who should stay away from him, i still hope that Jane isn't in this movie...

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@asgaard: Grr, so help me if that happened, haha. As for Jane (sigh), I have to stop hoping things would change in the MCU.

@antithetical: Ha! Yes! (:P)

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: Thinking about it I know they're going to want to tie this in to the rest of the MCU, somehow I don't think either BRB or Surtur will be in it, at least not Surtur as we know him, he would probably end up being a disappointment to comic fans and not be a giant fiery demon but an averaged sized alien with red skin or something, and likely easily interchangeable with Mephisto. Like you said, taking it closer to the Norse mythology, while satisfying comic and mythology fans, would confuse those only familiar with the movies, though it could be done if it was treated more as a stand alone film with loose ties to the build up to Infinity Wars. It could work.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Asgaard

@antithetical: K. Feige after min 11.20 spoke of the end of all things, and that the movie will impact everything that comes after, even if i agree that live action Surtur has to be different from comics to appeal to all the audiences, unlike the linear and uninteresting Malekith, Surtur really has to have believable motivations to end everything, so the plot can't lose time with interns, the main villain has to have enough plot to build his destruction motivations.

Loading Video...

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surture and BRB

arthurkerr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What ever they focus on I just want to see Thor kick some booty.

Plus I want him to return and still be the hero/god that makes Thor awesome. Please keep Odin and the rest alive and well or bring them back as well for Thor is nothing alone without his father and he sure is not his father. No stories on Thor king of anything keep his father in charge and let Thor play hero and defender of the 9 realms. More Sif or better yet Amora or do it like myth and he marries both. I do not care they are gods not mortals and live way to long to worry over simply things as we would.

I like the Anti Hero Loki sorry just do. Make him more cosmic or a agent of the realm that would make for a awesome movie and I for one would love to see it.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

mixture of Norse and classic comics.

THORSON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@thorson said:

mixture of Norse and classic comics.

But that will never happen.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:

@haveatthee: @antithetical: Couldn't agree more with what both of you guys said...

I agree as well. I would love to see that Simonson inspiration...that mythology redefined through the Marvel lens that he perfected, & everyone else has been trying(some successfully, some less so) since. One of my favorite scenes in all of Thor's history involves when Thor, Odin & Loki stood together in final battle against Surtur, a true final stand & a scene that personified each character & what they stood for, fought for & were willing to die for beautifully.

No Caption Provided

I would LOVE to see this on film- it'd probably make it my favorite Marvel movie, maybe one of my favorite movies of all time! One that brought more of the epic mythological elements in, tone down the sci-fi elements a bit for more of gods, giants, demons, magic, epic battle & Valhallan glory.

Also elements of the Ragnarok story from the Disassembled arc by Michael Avon Oeming- just that epic battle, all the forces descended upon Asgard, as they stand against the end of all things together- defining not only what Ragnarok means, but what Thor & all the warriors of the Realm Eternal personify- & show the heavy consequences of what happens when Asgard, the beacon of light for all the Nine Realms, is threatened to be extinguished, when gods are threatened & destined to die...yet fight with glory despite that knowledge...the huge impact it would have on the MCU as a whole. If done right, it could be the biggest, epic-scaled movie Marvel Studios has made.

@ms-lola said:

No Caption Provided

@ms-lola said:

Yes, have the golden realm shine brightly as it deserves... and no, that doesn't mean adding more lens flare to every scene. :-P

And

No Caption Provided

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unfortunately, I don't think they have the gusto to make the film that the Asgardian pantheon deserves. Feige was talking about how they wanted to give Thor 3 the "Cap 2" treatment and make a more serious film, but I'll believe it when I see it.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

How about this guy for a change? The second movie Thor was literally a supporting character at best. It was also Marvel's awful attempt at trying to attract the Twilight audience with the awful Jane Foster romance/Aether saga.

Ragnarok should focus on exactly that. The end of all things. Give the Thor mythos a dignified ending that it deserves.

Very well put, and although I didn't dislike The Dark World you're absolutely right about Thor seeming more like a supporting character. It could have been titled The Jane Foster Saga with as much screen time she had and how much of the plot revolved around her in the film.

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

BRB kicking some ass

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Asgaard

@winter_kills: According to Kevin Feige, Christopher Yost (Dark World writer) and Craig Kyle (not Dark World writer) and are presently writing the script for the Ragnarok, not wanting disrespect other fans of the character that also have great ideas for the movie, but i think that you and @haveatthee: really could write a marvel Thor comics story with the vibe of the Twilight of the Norse Gods, i still have faith but Christopher Yost probably is thinking more in the Twilight of the interns with a Divergent vibe...

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:

@winter_kills: but Christopher Yost probably is thinking more in the Twilight of the interns with a Divergent vibe...

That sends a cold, uncomfortable chill up my spine. But hopefully since Yost isn't writing this all on his own those ideas will be toned down a lot.

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:

@winter_kills: but Christopher Yost probably is thinking more in the Twilight of the interns with a Divergent vibe...

That sends a cold, uncomfortable chill up my spine. But hopefully since Yost isn't writing this all on his own those ideas will be toned down a lot.

That was only an attempt to make a sarcastic joke with "poor" franchises, but i probably miss the joke, although Christopher Yost doesn't deserve much credit after the Dark world script...

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mangog.

Beata

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By antithetical

@asgaard: weird, I updated my post but it seems to have disappeared. oh well... basically said hopefully with Yost not writing the script on his own those elements which most people didn't like about The Dark World will be toned down quite a bit for Thor: Ragnarok.

edit: well now it decides to show up. lol!

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelicious: Yeah it was a disaster, artistically speaking. Marvel really screwed up the Asgardian pantheon. They could've really given it the mythological/magical vibe (a la Lord of the Rings crossed with some superhero action) and carved out quite a unique corner in the MCU. Instead, Thor is essentially the MCU's doormat for the other franchises. His villain was the main reason the team got together, but you wouldn't know it watching Avengers. Because the idiotic Asgardians decided to give the Collector the Aether (great idea), we were introduced to the Guardians franchise (briefly, but still). It's literally like watching a bunch of kids ruining a shiny toy with tons of features because they have no idea how to use it. Thor (and Odin especially) should've been, and should become (hopefully), a much more significant force in the MCU. Instead he's the least developed of the "Big Four" characters and is used for comedy relief with the whole "fish out of water" routine.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Hopefully something focusing on Surtur.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@haveatthee: I don't remember if it was a link you posted or someone else concerning advance screening of Age Of Ultron but one of the comments posted by critics who saw it was "Thor was hilarious" and reading it made me cringe. Way to go Marvel, just turn Thor into a joke / comedy relief. Ugh...

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Darcy'a humor

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Winter_Kills

@asgaard said:

I know what you mean, bro...

No Caption Provided

For the Love of Jack "King" Kirby let there be less Jane & interns...or preferably none at all! We need more Asgard & Nine Realms, less Midgard. The movies have barely scratched the surface of the Realms. I'm hoping the little comment that Hemsworth made on the SNL skit about Jane being his ex was a lil' nod to the fans that the whole Twilight-crap-inspired romance stuff is over, & also cut ties with the interns...maybe A:AOU will expand on this, with Thor staying at the tower...I'll accept it esp. if it means more Asgardian power, might & mythology. And if they want a lil' humor, they can easily do it with the Warriors Three...they(esp. Volstagg) have provided some comedic relief for years in the comics...we don't need some annoying mortal interns to do it.

@asgaard said:

@winter_kills: According to Kevin Feige, Christopher Yost (Dark World writer) and Craig Kyle (not Dark World writer) and are presently writing the script for the Ragnarok, not wanting disrespect other fans of the character that also have great ideas for the movie, but i think that you and @haveatthee: really could write a marvel Thor comics story with the vibe of the Twilight of the Norse Gods, i still have faith but Christopher Yost probably is thinking more in the Twilight of the interns with a Divergent vibe...

Thanks Viking brother, you have great ideas that would make for some great Asgardian story-telling as well! I trust Kevin Feige pretty well- WAY more than I'll ever trust Aaron or Tom Brevoort...but I hope that Craig Kyle helps Yost to be more focused on what a Thor should be about....the awe, the wonder, the mythological pomp & pageantry, epic battle & cosmic intrigue. Thor: The Dark World just took a lot of SImonson ideas, like Malekith & Svartalfheim, & reimagined them sci-fi Star Wars-style & it didn't work. Malekith didn't even seem like the same character that Simonson created- they actually could have substituted any alien villain in his place, or any alien race for the Dark Elves. It reminded me of Matt Fraction's "World Eaters" arc- invaders from a super-dense, collapsing previous existing universe, seeking to overwhelm the Nine Realms- except instead of the World Eaters/Ano-Athox they used Malekith & the Dark Elves, & that just didn't work. I mean, the Dark Elves utilized magic, not advanced technology & spaceships- Malekith himself was a sorcerer as envisioned by Simonson, commanding the Wild Hunt(a cool element that now will never get to be used on film)- not an alien warlord commanding fleets of starships. I hope that they can move a bit back from the "alien" angle & go more towards magic(I hope the release of Dr. Strange adds to that, brining the concept of magic into the MCU will do wonders for Thor & the Nine Realms); we would get to see more of the mythological Asgard we know, instead of it seemingly like just another "alien realm".

@haveatthee: I don't remember if it was a link you posted or someone else concerning advance screening of Age Of Ultron but one of the comments posted by critics who saw it was "Thor was hilarious" and reading it made me cringe. Way to go Marvel, just turn Thor into a joke / comedy relief. Ugh...

It was me. Yeah that comment was cringe-worthy for me too...we want to see Thor being a badass God of Thunder, using his skills, strength & elemental fury, not be comedy relief. I love the first Avengers, but I felt Thor was underutilized, & I can't help but feel in the Avengers movies Thor gets the short end of the stick- I REALLY hope Whedon proves me wrong, because at this point we really need to see some badass moments for Thor, showcasing why he is the MIGHTY Avenger.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By antithetical

@asgaard said:

Thanks Viking brother, you have great ideas that would make for some great Asgardian story-telling as well! I trust Kevin Feige pretty well- WAY more than I'll ever trust Aaron or Tom Brevoort...but I hope that Craig Kyle helps Yost to be more focused on what a Thor should be about....the awe, the wonder, the mythological pomp & pageantry, epic battle & cosmic intrigue. Thor: The Dark World just took a lot of SImonson ideas, like Malekith & Svartalfheim, & reimagined them sci-fi Star Wars-style & it didn't work. Malekith didn't even seem like the same character that Simonson created- they actually could have substituted any alien villain in his place, or any alien race for the Dark Elves. It reminded me of Matt Fraction's "World Eaters" arc- invaders from a super-dense, collapsing previous existing universe, seeking to overwhelm the Nine Realms- except instead of the World Eaters/Ano-Athox they used Malekith & the Dark Elves, & that just didn't work. I mean, the Dark Elves utilized magic, not advanced technology & spaceships- Malekith himself was a sorcerer as envisioned by Simonson, commanding the Wild Hunt(a cool element that now will never get to be used on film)- not an alien warlord commanding fleets of starships. I hope that they can move a bit back from the "alien" angle & go more towards magic(I hope the release of Dr. Strange adds to that, brining the concept of magic into the MCU will do wonders for Thor & the Nine Realms); we would get to see more of the mythological Asgard we know, instead of it seemingly like just another "alien realm".

I'm not holding my breath anticipating they'll steer away from this notion of "magic is just advanced science", from what I've read it seems that's the route they're planning to take with Doctor Strange, which will make him look like a Tony Stark knock-off in a cloak instead of a high tech suit of armor. I don't know if the studio was afraid the Thor movies would come off looking like LotR wannabes if they'd embraced the idea of magic and myth but as you said, they had such a fantastic opportunity to carve out a unique section of the MCU but totally pissed that away.

Winter_Kills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical:

I'm not holding my breath either...

No Caption Provided

I hope that they don't take the "magic is advanced science" route or "magic & science is really the same thing" bullcrap in Dr. Strange, it would be a huge injustice to the character- magic is the core of his character, of Stephen Strange's journey from materialistic man of science to spiritual sorcerer supreme. His movie should be the movie that introduces the concept of magic/mysticism to the MU, the same way that GOTG introduced the cosmic side of the MU, & the street-level side is now being explored by Daredevil. Whether Marvel likes it or not, magic or the supernatural is an established part of their universe as much as super-science, cosmic & urban vigilantism. If you can have Celestials & cosmic objects like the Infinity Stones, then why should the concept of magic or the supernatural be so outlandish? As you so masterfully stated, Marvel had the fantastic opportunity to carve out that niche of magic & mythology with Thor- twice- and screwed it up both times by saying

No Caption Provided

I hope beyond hope that they won't let the same opportunity to open up an entire unexplored section of the MCU pass them by AGAIN in Dr. Strange- a section of the universe from which so many characters could not only benefit but be introduced(their great wealth of magical & supernatural characters, plus the concept of magic available for Asgard, esp. Loki, Odin & Amora; even Black Panther & Iron Fist are infused with a twinge of mysticism). Hoping, but not crossing my fingers because they might break in two.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@antithetical:

I'm not holding my breath either...

I hope that they don't take the "magic is advanced science" route or "magic & science is really the same thing" bullcrap in Dr. Strange, it would be a huge injustice to the character- magic is the core of his character, of Stephen Strange's journey from materialistic man of science to spiritual sorcerer supreme. His movie should be the movie that introduces the concept of magic/mysticism to the MU, the same way that GOTG introduced the cosmic side of the MU, & the street-level side is now being explored by Daredevil. Whether Marvel likes it or not, magic or the supernatural is an established part of their universe as much as super-science, cosmic & urban vigilantism. If you can have Celestials & cosmic objects like the Infinity Stones, then why should the concept of magic or the supernatural be so outlandish? As you so masterfully stated, Marvel had the fantastic opportunity to carve out that niche of magic & mythology with Thor- twice- and screwed it up both times by saying

No Caption Provided

I hope beyond hope that they won't let the same opportunity to open up an entire unexplored section of the MCU pass them by AGAIN in Dr. Strange- a section of the universe from which so many characters could not only benefit but be introduced(their great wealth of magical & supernatural characters, plus the concept of magic available for Asgard, esp. Loki, Odin & Amora; even Black Panther & Iron Fist are infused with a twinge of mysticism). Hoping, but not crossing my fingers because they might break in two.

Because that break might end up being caused by the warping of space-time due to a gravitational anomaly manifesting in the general vicinity of your middle and index fingers. :P But yeah, I wholeheartedly agree with what you've said, especially being a long time Dr. Strange fan as well as Thor. "Huge injustice" is putting it lightly imo, by actually accepting the concept of magic and mysticism they have the opportunity to open up a whole new world of storytelling within the MCU. While I definitely support the promotion of science over voodoo and hokum in the real world what were talking about is a fictional universe which is all the richer for including concepts of the occult.

HaveAtThee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm also a Dr. Strange fan and while I love the Cumberbatch casting, I'm afraid they're going to go with that "Magic is really cool science!" route and turn Strange into Iron Man-lite.

I would love to see an animated picture with a Thor/Dr. Strange team-up where Dormammu and the Enchantress join forces. That would be trippy and fun to see.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Surter.

Batman1130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Batman1130

@asgaard said:

@cgoodness said:

No Caption Provided

I wouldn't mind still better than Jane and the intern of the intern, to the Ragnarok be epic i think Thor and Odin should die with Valhallan glory, than we have King Loki that after fail against Thanos in Infinity War Part I, will bring back The Original Avengers to life with the infinity stones or his usual deals and schemes, Loki is heavily connected to the Avengers original team in comics and the Mcu. (Just an unfounded Theory)

I hope so! Lol thats too funny with the frog, is that cannon?

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard said:

@cgoodness said:

No Caption Provided

I wouldn't mind still better than Jane and the intern of the intern, to the Ragnarok be epic i think Thor and Odin should die with Valhallan glory, than we have King Loki that after fail against Thanos in Infinity War Part I, will bring back The Original Avengers to life with the infinity stones or his usual deals and schemes, Loki is heavily connected to the Avengers original team in comics and the Mcu. (Just an unfounded Theory)

I hope so! Lol thats too funny with the frog, is that cannon?

Simon Walterson Throg is Canon...

No Caption Provided

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: ah, beat me to it. I was just about to post the cover and see that's already been, well... covered. lol!

Batman1130

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@asgaard: that's awesome! Thanks for sharing

Asgaard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers