MissJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By MissJ

The Good

Like the Amaterasu show in Issue #1, this month's installment of THE WICKED + THE DIVINE places us -- and our proxy, Laura -- right in the action at a pop/god concert, driving away from the "routine cop work" and origin stories, and back into the music. Unlike the first issue's gig? The Baphomet vs. Morrigan battle/concert is no sunny love-fest. It's explosive, it's angry, and it's faster paced than a 1-2-3-4.

The dialogue in this issue is rhythmic and sometimes rhyming, and paired with the gothity-goth-goth characters we've just met, the Underground/Underworld stage is immediately full of personality. Or multiple personalities. It's immersive, and the scripting is exactly right for introducing the death-centered parts of the pantheon -- showing rather than telling.

Speaking of showing? McKelvie's panel layouts are vivid and active -- if a book can make you feel like you're falling right along with a character, that's a win. The use of darkness (or bright, fiery light) in the Underground is very effective, and WICDIV keeps its stride in the "visually interesting" category.

As with last issue, I'm totally addicted to doing research on the gods behind the gods. You've gotta love a book that inspires learning, right?

The Bad

After a flashy, fantastic open, there was a bit of a dip in the middle. The scene with Laura's parents changed the pace -- which is cool -- but also seemed to be missing some clarity of purpose.

The Verdict

WICDIV continues to surprise and delight, with larger-than-life characters and equally thrilling situations. Everything about the book, from design to research to dialogue, feels intentional -- which in turn, makes it easier to buy into. It's a stunning execution of a high concept that's already unique, and a fresh, enjoyable read.

Lily_LeBeau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This book is so thoroughly good and enjoyable, which isn't much of a surprise considering the creative team behind it.

Image is really cementing their rep as putting out some of the most diverse, interesting books.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Huh, it's been quite a while since I've seen you around her Ms. Aprahamian :)

MissJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Vulshock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like it but I have a hard time figuring out who is who.

czechoslovakia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vulshock said:

I like it but I have a hard time figuring out who is who.

YES I have the same problem, but it's probably my own fault

czechoslovakia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know it's only 3 issues in, but this is probably my favorite Image title right now. It speaks to me...the same way Kanye does

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

THE MORRIGAN! I so want to read this when it come out on trade!

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
    RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fables87: You totally should. The first trade comes out in November and collects the first 5 issues. It's called "The Faust Act."

munkieKONG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Baphomet character seemed kind of empty and generic to me. So does Baal, actually. All the male "god" characters we've seen so far just kind of look and act like normal trendy guys w/ a bad attitude. The female characters have had great design and personality though.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.