The Walking Dead "No Sanctuary"

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The 5th season of AMC's The Walking Dead kicked off with a bang. And a stab. And a lot of blood. Like, a lot of it. It's an action-heavy premiere that involves plenty of human and zombie violence, but the sheer amount of bloodshed doesn't prevent the episode from also having some great displays of character and some real heart.

While other seasons established a location and then spent a lot of time there, "No Sanctuary" wastes no time turning Terminus into a war zone and moves full speed ahead. Rick's group has been through hell time and time again, and their ability to thrive and overcome when they're surrounded by pure chaos shows how much they've changed over the years. No one is screaming or panicking; they're just in game mode and focused on seeing another day. Pretty much everyone gets their hands dirty, but Rick and Carol? They're acting like stone cold super-soldiers. The stealth kill and then shooting all of the humans in the back? Damn, dude.

If you're a fan of the comics (if not, do yourself a favor and pick up the 1st trade), then the time at the trough was likely a real nailbiter. Many believe Season 4 was a little too slow, so this one wasted no time and delivered an absolutely intense and savage bit. Odds are comic fans were thinking "no way they're doing this," but part of you was wondering if they really would go through with it, right? Heck of a way to grab our attention right from the get-go.

Speaking of being a fan of the comics, it's great to see they're not blatantly adapting what happened in Fear The Hunters. There's a reason for this "it's you or me" mentality and that epiphany is reached after a really tragic, twisted and dark development. I would have liked to see a little more of Gareth, but the episode did a fine job expanding this plot just enough. It wasn't weighed down with an onslaught of exposition and the pacing never slowed down.

While you do see a majority of the cast, it's really Carol and Tyreese who receive the best arc. Glenn's good nature has stayed intact despite all they've been through and it was great seeing Eugene get a scene (I still think his big twist will remain the same, though), but what goes down with Carol and Tyreese offers the most depth. There's a great scene where Carol enters what's essentially an inventory room. There's weapons, gear, and stuffed animals. The stuffed animals get a glance at most before she moves on. She's still caring towards the people she loves, but to me, it seemed like her innocence is gone. A stuffed animal may bring warmth and comfort to someone else or hold a bit of nostalgia and sentimental value, but for her, it serves no purpose. She's all about surviving and this episode did an effective job showing that. You can't really blame her after what she was forced to do in the last season though, can you? I immediately had a "what the hell?!" reaction when Carol chose to rush Mary instead of just shooting her, but I can chalk that one up to her realizing she can get some answers. Meanwhile, Tyreese's scene was a little heavy-handed at times (pun is 100% intended), but it was still a totally gripping dialogue and turn of events.

After so much graphic fighting, "No Sanctuary" finds a way to deliver a huge amount of emotion. The scene didn't need dialogue and that's something they obviously recognized. Instead of having them potentially ruin the moment by saying something obvious or cheesy, the show allows the actors to bring their emotions front and center. The end result is a sequence that's surprisingly heartfelt -- something I'm sure no one really anticipated since the episode was basically non-stop tension and action.

Oh, and that credits scene! Lennie James did such an amazing job with his previous appearances, so it's exciting to see he's back for more. Also, does anyone else think Mary was saved at the last second? Or, maybe Gareth will realize that her remains has a bullet wound in a leg and that'll motivate his need for revenge?

My only negative about this episode is there was one short close-up shot of a zombie eating a dude's face -- you know, that guy who couldn't stand up and run away (blame it on raw fear paralyzing him, I guess?). This show often has terrific practical effects. So many of the zombies are fearsome and there's some truly awesome shots with them. However, this one definitely felt noticeably fake to me. I remember thinking the zombie's jaw isn't moving as it's supposedly turning this poor fellow into a meal. Regardless, that's like, a handful of seconds out of the entire episode. So not too shabby, right?

Season 5 of The Walking Dead is off to an incredibly strong start. Instead of dragging its feet, the AMC show rushed forward with a ton of brutality, teased an interesting narrative, and had some engrossing character beats. The show's back and off to a great start, but will this level of quality continue? Only time shall tell and after an excellent episode like this, something tells me many of us will stick around to find out.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Transformers1024

Well it looks like we aren't going to see any of those cannabilistic scenes you were talking about in your last arcticle since Terminus has been dealt with.

Honestly I'd give this episode 3/5. It was nice to see a darker tone, but I feel like they dealt with Terminus way to quickly; this situation could have been a. Two part episode easily and would have flowed much nicer. There was no real sense of danger; I mean did anyone really think a main character was going to die?

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

They should have named this episode "Balls to the wall".

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Carol was awesome.

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Yeah that effect with the guy on the floor was hilariously fake. You could see the rubber so blatantly...I really did not like season 4. It was all filler, but this episode was great. Really glad that Carol has become a total badass, and Tyrese got a really cool scene too.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't wait to watch this.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Does anyone else think the guy who locked Gareth in the train car "Then", looked a lot like Negan??

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By BigL

@the_stegman: It isn't. Robert Kirkman confirmed on his twitter that it's the same tattooed guy that Rick & Glenn free from the boxcar

Banes_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@tensor: She really was! What a long way she has come from abused wife to guerrilla fighter!

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 the_stegman  Moderator

@bigl: Darn! My hopes are now crushed.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

great premiere but nothing really crazy happened as I was expecting. 8/10.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#12  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@transformers1024 said:

Well it looks like we aren't going to see any of those cannabilistic scenes you were talking about in your last arcticle since Terminus has been dealt with.

Honestly I'd give this episode 3/5. It was nice to see a darker tone, but I feel like they dealt with Terminus way to quickly; this situation could have been a. Two part episode easily and would have flowed much nicer. There was no real sense of danger; I mean did anyone really think a main character was going to die?

Yeah, I'd say the choice from the article it potentially removes is "tainted meat." I don't believe the scenes with Gabriel/Eugene and the resolution with Gareth (because he's so obviously still alive) are no longer possible, though. That said, I'm sure they could still find a way to happen to make that "tainted meat" scene eventually happen if they really wanted to (maybe Gareth's crew wants a bit of payback and they snag someone that was recently bitten?). Guess we'll just have to wait and see!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The tv show version of Carol has got to be the only time where the adaption of a character is better than the source character

jokerscrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 the_stegman  Moderator
Avatar image for barstoolprophet
BarstoolProphet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BarstoolProphet

@k4tzm4n: it would be a shame to not hear that being brayed with insane laughter coming out of someone's mouth at SOME point:) I really fell off the wagon with this show in season 4; felt the better part of the first half was needless story-padding. So much so that the second half came and went without me seeing it. I gave it a go, but other than a handful of episodes it was (IMO) one of the weaker seasons. The trailer for five looked good, so I'm glad to see the opener getting favorable reviews, and will check it out

nfareed71024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

easily 5/5. People jsut like to complain. The action was better than anything seen in a long time and it was not meaningless. That guy getting his neck gutted after getting hit with a baseball bat immediately made the episode a success then just capitalized on that by making rick go apeshit on those guys with a shard of wood he cut out with HIS ZIPPER. Carol was awesome and tyrone even had some cool moments. Storytelling at is finest. I just cannot wait until rick kills gareth with that machete with the red handle

Cypher4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

bunkerbuster05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was pretty enthralled for the entire episode. I'm always on/off with the Walking Dead, but if season 4 is like this the whole season, I'm very excited. Definitely a 5/5.

ForeverMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome episode.

To me personally, the trough scene was the most gruesome thing we've seen on the show to date. Carol and Rick were awesome. Terminus being routed in 1 episode was definitely an unexpected twist. Pretty stoked to see where this season is going to go now.

sentryman555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love how awesome Rick is now. Even Sitting in a row of people getting their heads smashed in with a bat he has no fear whatsoever anymore. We're definitely getting a colder, slightly more governor, type Rick this season, if this episode is any indication. Just the fact that he wanted to go back and kill all the remaining people in terminus is a surprising turn for his character as Carl is there for the whole thing and he usually tries to be calmer around him. Carol stole the show for me and I actually hope Eugene's tv counterpart doesn't have that twist to his character later on because unlike the comic Eugene, who I hate, I'm liking this guy a bit.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ARMIV2

Carol in her death poncho inspired some real Ennio Morricone imagery from me.

Surza7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Surza7

I am totally loving Carol now. I felt that she redeemed herself a bit in this episode and showed to be a very powerful character,and just knew what it took to survive.Was a great premiere and can't wait for more :)

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Awesome! Just awesome!

NimaMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the fact this episode started off with such a big bang, we can only expect a several feet dragging episodes moving forward, in true Walking Dead fashion :)

pingclang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 121

I don't like Walking Dead but I watch it with my wife who is a huge fan and I have to say, even I really liked this episode. It was very well done.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I was ready to drop The Walking Dead after a couple of episodes this season. Needless to say, this episode surprised me. The beginning terrified me and the rest was plainly good. I hope they can keep it up.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This EP was great. Carol was the mvp of the show. When the Hell did she turn into Solid Snake?

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: I like hoe they fleshed out the tv Governor more than the comic version but I think the comic version was more evil...he actually gave everyone a reason to go after him with him raping Michonne and cutting off Rick's hand

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I'm still flabbergasted at why they can show all this throat slitting and face chomping but they're not allowed to say a single f-bomb.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think that Rick's group is going to regret not going back and killing them. Because the survivors of Terminus will become the Hunters. Also I think that Tyrese didn´t kill the guy, that is why he didn´t want anybody to enter the house.

laabitres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this ep was dope hope the rest of the season delivers

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I know its worng of me but I laugh at the Terminus' flashback when the girl is screaming "oh no, not again" when the guys go to rape her.

And was surprised by the cameo of Charles Manson lol.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This episode was amazing

Carol was the beast of this episode

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best premiere we've had so far, and one of the best episodes of the show.

bloggerboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I'm still flabbergasted at why they can show all this throat slitting and face chomping but they're not allowed to say a single f-bomb.

Rick is allowed to say stuff and thangs.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#39  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@jonny_anonymous said:

Rick is allowed to say stuff and thangs.

Well they cut it out of the last episode last season

Deathstroke02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This episode was perfect.

spidershamrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Great episode, I really hope they don't the show doesn't go on another "Butcher or Cattle" thing again this year. We had enough of that from the Governor. Also I hope no more flashbacks of the "Then" at Terminus. One was more than enough to show us what happened and to be honest I'm getting pretty tired of the group coming up against some evil group of people. I know it's more interesting than just zombies but it does get tiresome

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Does anyone else think the guy who locked Gareth in the train car "Then", looked a lot like Negan??

Yeah, but I don't think it is.

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Carol is my hero now :)

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By The_Titan_Lord

Carol murderstomp.

But TBH I really felt bad for the Terminus people. They have suffered a fate far more worst than death. It's just sad. They weren't these monsters before.

Still powerful episode.

KomicKev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love The Walking Dead. I love it during its slow and contemplative moments and I love it when its balls to the wall action and zombie infested. There is no character of the "heroes" that I dislike, really and I appreciate all the good acting these performers give us. The scene where Carol and Daryl reunite? Brought a tear to my eye, not gonna lie. I am truly grateful for this show and I look forward to each and every episode. It's come a long way from that group that was camping just outside of Atlanta!

KingAres109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That looked like Negan. His hairline says it all..And they said they fought back and took the place back.So why isn't it him??