inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
No Caption Provided

On this week's episode of The Walking Dead, everyone is in a quarry and surrounded by a ton of walkers.

The show flashes back to right after Morgan witnessed Rick killing a man. Morgan hasn't seen Rick in quite some time and everyone is trying to get their lives back on track after dealing with quite a lot, emotionally. Back in the present, Rick narrates as everyone takes their places. Everyone seems under an incredible amount of stress.

Back in the past, a group who has been on a mission for a few weeks head back to Alexandria. Rick shows Morgan around the town and Rick tells Gabriel not to bury a killer inside the walls. They head out and find a quarry, filled to the brim with walkers. Rick saves Ron, running from some walkers and the walkers fall down into the quarry.

The plan starts to make sense as Daryl rides his bike down the road with the Walkers following behind him. Back in the past, Rick realizes that this is how the community is surviving because the Walkers end up in the quarry. Rick tells Ron that he shouldn't be out in the quarry because he's untrained and he could die.

Glen, blank, and blank have to clear a building because the walkers inside are making too much noise and it could distract them away from the path. Glen opens the door and finds it closed by a metal shutter.

Back in the past, Rick makes plans with the people of town for a way to get rid of the zombies of the quarry. Gabriel wants to help and Rick shuts him down pretty quickly, in the funniest moment of the week. They really need Carter's help with the plan, to make walls, but he is reluctant.

In the present, the wall works and then it cuts back to everyone building and preparing it. Back in the present, again, Glenn is still trying to figure out how to clear the building of zombies. Through teamwork, Noah, Glenn, and Heath clear the building before Daryl and his zombie horde arrive.

Back in the past, some zombies arrive while the group is building the fence and Rick uses this as an opportunity to try and get the people of Alexandria to kill them, but they're scared and struggling, so Morgan runs in and takes them all out.

Carter wants to get the people of Alexandria to revolt against Rick. Eugene overhears this and Carter is about to shoot him. Rick comes in and defuses the situation by trying to get Carter on his side... after holding a gun to his head.

Back in the present, Rick, Carter, and company are watching the horde go by. They're going to break out and make sure everything looks good, Carter starts heading out and gets bitten by a walker. He screams and walkers break from the pack. Rick saves him, but he won't stop screaming, and since he has been bit, Rick kills Carter. During their walk, a horn goes off from somewhere. It's pulling zombies away from the pack. It sounds like it's coming from Alexandria.

No Caption Provided

The opening of the episode is utterly confusing, pre-opening credits. There are walkers everywhere and they're in a quarry, but it all feels like a dream sequence that no one wakes up from. The confusion continues as everything goes black and white afterward. We haven't seen black and white used to portray a flashback, that I can remember, but we've had flashback scenes in the past. It's a weird choice. Sure, understandably, the comic is black and white.

The back and forth between the present and the past isn't a bad way to tell a story at all, but the first 15 minutes of the show has these segments cut into 2 minute pieces, and it's a tad frustrating, especially how it's jumping between this mysterious and thrilling mission the team is on in the present, to the past where everyone is coming to terms with the town getting back to normal. Small doses, here and there, would work, but it's just too much for this episode.

That really sums up my whole feeling about the episode. Conceptually, this is an amazing episode, but there are too many problems with the execution. The story flows nicely, but scene-to-scene, it's too jolting/jumpy and a miss-match of tones.

The opening was maddening and confusing, but as the episode went on, and things started making more sense, there's the realization that it plays out like that for a reason because it's a big story and the slow reveal of the story is just as interesting as the story itself.

This was a huge scale episode, though. This was the most walkers that have ever been in an episode to date, and seeing the long walker march was fantastic. Again, that story concept was really cool and unlike anything that's been on the show before. The group is smarter and more experienced so they know that problem needs to be stopped before it comes knocking on their door. It doesn't go to plan, but nothing ever does.

What this episode really did well was set up the potential conflict between Rick and Morgan. Morgan has changed a lot since the last time we've seen him and has more of a zen approach to life and he values life more than anything else. Rick is still in a leadership position and doesn't take chances with people anymore, even if that means killing someone. These two stances will turn into a problem for these strong characters, so we can expect them to come to blows at some point during this season.

Overall, this was a solid episode that reached for something really big and took some massive chances at the execution of how the episode was put together. The jumping back and forth between the present and the past became a bit frustrating and it may have worked better in larger chunks. However, the concept for the story was pretty fantastic. There's a lot of set-up here for the season and it's a pretty decent start for the sixth year of the show.

Questions of the week:

• The walkers are seen walking up a path in the quarry, in the past, which dead ends at two semi-trucks, blocking the patch. Where the heck are they going from there?
  • How long did it take Daryl to lead the walkers on their 20-mile trip? (Well, as far as they got into it)
  • New homes in Alexandria cost $800k? What a rip-off!
  • Anyone else think Negan is honking the horn? Maybe Gabriel?
ZeroSuitUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

This show is still going?

ZeroSuitUser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathstroke52: Not trying to be. I honestly didn't know the show was still going. I thought it ended and that's why they were doing the spin-off series.

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

This was a pretty good premiere and thank God Eugene didn't get killed after that eavesdropping snafu. Even Morgan was nothing short of awesome.

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I've actually never been so bored with an episode of The Walking Dead than with this. It wasn't bad, but it didn't need to be 90 minutes long. The presentation of the narrative with the flashbacks made the uneven pace weird, and a lot of what was shown just felt like fluff.

Morgan asking MIchonne about the protein bar was hilarious though.

LiveForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By LiveForever

It is totally Gabriel honking. No doubt about it. Guys been looney for awhile now and I think he's just lost it now.

Mr. Kamikaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Morgan asking MIchonne about the protein bar was hilarious though.

Ha, I loved that.

It's like all that time Morgan spent by himself, going insane. I guess some of that insanity lingers, doesn't it? You're never truly fixed after all that XD

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was decent some serious head scratching moments with some of the way characters are acting though.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By NightFang3

And once again I missed the premiere because of work.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

It is totally Gabriel honking. No doubt about it. Guys been looney for awhile now and I think he's just lost it now.

It's not Gabriel

~MiB

Sternfan99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MadeinBangladesh:

It's clearly that little douchebag who wanted to see where Rick and Morgan were going to bury his wife-beating dad.

Ducey13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was a 5 star premiere. It does start right in the middle of the action which was crazy but it didn't take long for the first flashback and reveal how this episode would play out. So I didn't find it to be confusing after that.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Was a good episode, though I'm tired of Sasha, most boring character imo. Her stuff with Abraham lost me.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I enjoyed it, but I find Morgan's kung fu bo staff shite incredibly silly.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 the_stegman  Moderator
Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This one had perfect pacing and balance between plot and action, nicely done flashbacks, and found a way to make sure there was plot development and development between characters and their relationships with each other, as well as setting up the next episode and the season nicely. This episode achieved a lot and did so without ever feeling choppy or unbalanced. Having Morgan back is great and so is seeing how he interacts with everyone, and how the people of Alexandria see Rick. I would've given this one 5 stars, it was better than your average episode and did something new with the amount of walkers and the use of flashbacks.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This one had perfect pacing and balance between plot and action, nicely done flashbacks, and found a way to make sure there was plot development and development between characters and their relationships with each other, as well as setting up the next episode and the season nicely. This episode achieved a lot and did so without ever feeling choppy or unbalanced. Having Morgan back is great and so is seeing how he interacts with everyone, and how the people of Alexandria see Rick. I would've given this one 5 stars, it was better than your average episode and did something new with the amount of walkers and the use of flashbacks. Similar to episode 9 of last season where Tyreese died, the episode was just very well made.

Also, I seriously doubt Ron was honking, and I don't think Gabriel is either. Gabriel got redeemed last season when praying with Sasha and Maggie and Ron hates rick but doesn't want the community to be torn apart by walkers. It was the wolves or someone we haven't met yet.

ms__omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Now that was a zombie horde Alexandria is so screwed.

laabitres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By laabitres

that ep was fire

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@MadeinBangladesh:

It's clearly that little douchebag who wanted to see where Rick and Morgan were going to bury his wife-beating dad.

Nah it's not him either.

~MiB

Spector_Rand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#27  Edited By AllStarSuperman

Not enough Daryl.

CalvinRod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CalvinRod
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#29  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I wish the show was always in black and white

EdBlank

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I felt that they were making it as boring as possible on purpose somehow. Me and two other fans of the show were having a hard time even paying attention last night. I am, however, looking forward to Z Nation

Avatar image for mrmatchesmalone
Mrmatchesmalone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It wasn't the best premiere, it was OK. I really liked the B&W flashbacks. Abrahams new devlopment is interesting! I didn't like the Carter storyline, we've seen this type of character before. Same goes for Morgan! He's just Hershel 2.0 except he knows Kung fu and he's flirting with Michonne. I think I missed where they were going to lead the horde because Rick's plan was dumb n dangerous. Did they really believe it was going to work? Didn't Carter say 'fortify' and keep the horde blocked in. Why not do that, then Blow them up! Cave in the quarry! Or burn them up! They had all those flares. Rick was wrong and that whole plan didn't make sense.

The honking? It may be someone from Alexandria trying to get Rick's group back because their under attack or the Wolves are honking!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 the_stegman  Moderator

I wish the show was always in black and white

No. Hell no in fact.

MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Be warned. Its..............

JOHN CENA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No Caption Provided

haha seriously though. This video from last season actually reveals who beeped the horn. Found on Reddit.

Loading Video...

Alright this time for real. It's either the Wolves for the new girl Carl hangs out with.

~MiB

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#35  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 the_stegman  Moderator
bukdiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By bukdiah

Pretty good, but felt like it dragged on. I like that Morgan is finally there, but I need to get acclimated with his fighting skills because those were nonexistent in the comics. The Black and White flashbacks were a nice touch and I thought the transitions into them were done well. Heath looks exactly like Heath!

Catwalker464

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you liked this then you should check out our review of the first season of Fear the Walking Dead. If you haven't seen it yet then be warned that we go into full spoilers:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VExOdvnh5Mg

roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the horn is because Alexandria was attacked, it wouldn't make sense for an Alexandrian to be doing it to mess with Rick's plan, because that would be a death sentence for everyone. I think they were attacked, the Wolves were watching, saw everyone leave, and attacked. The preview shows what seems to be someone who's been shot, as well as Carl running around inside the walls while carrying a gun. I think the horn is a distress signal

bigkurt77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I work in Alexandria and 800k is about average price for a house in a nice community. They must've done some good area scouting as there IS a quarry nearby in Manassas I think. I was confused too until it reminded me of Memento and then it started to come together. Thought David Lynch was directing at first!

KomicKev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@roaris87

Carol was also running around with a gun within the walls of Alexandria.

Paul2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

garbage

roaris87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@komickev said:

@roaris87

Carol was also running around with a gun within the walls of Alexandria.

Yea, that too. If Carol has given up the stay at home mom act you know something bad is happening

MikeGrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't a fan of this episode. Its a pretty good way to lead into the No Way Out story arc,and there were a few scenes that I enjoyed (like the Morgan/Michonne protein bar scene and Rick saving Eugene) but overall I just felt intensely bored for about 75 out of the 90 minutes it was on. Hoping things pick up once the herd gets to Alexandria