k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

"Don't you want one more day with a chance?"

The Walking Dead returns from a short break with an especially strong episode. Some people watch this show for zombie violence. Others watch it to see how humans respond to such twisted, bleak and horrifying scenarios. Will they turn on one another? Will they overcome the terrors they face? How much of a toll will it take on a person? Will they be like Superman and hold onto hope or will they live long enough to become a villain? Okay, I promise I won't drop any more DC references in this review, but a lot of us view this show as a drama which happens to also feature a ton of vicious and gross zombies. Well, no matter what draws you to this show, the latest episode, "What Happened and What's Going On," delivers just about everything you could want from this show. Violent madness? Check. An emotional look at characters? Check. A stunning twist? Most definitely a check.

After the last episode's cliffhanger, you'd expect this one to spend a lot of time with the follow-up. You know, a better look at Maggie and Daryl and then we finally get a bit of development before the credits begin. Instead, the show decides to take a note from several video games and, instead of seeing the journey to Noah's home, the show fast travels there. Considering how some of the previous seasons have been paced, this was a surprising and very welcome decision. We all know they could have stretched the journey out across several episodes. Instead, we pick up when they're almost there.

Much to... well, just about everyone's surprise, Tyreese takes the spotlight in this episode. Can't say I saw that coming at all given what just occurred, but the focus on the big guy is very well used and the actor nails his monologue. The emphasis on his morals have been a little heavy-handed in the past and I'll admit one of the creative parts of this story did feel a little too bunt at times, but the directing and focus on his psyche made this a pretty captivating story. They managed to offer something character-driven, smart, and violent at the same time. Not shabby, The Walking Dead. The episode's directing really complemented his situation, too. It makes you feel a little out of the loop as it abruptly and sometimes roughly jumps from shot to shot. Speaking of shots, there were plenty of clever ones. Little things like blood spilling over a relaxing picture of a peaceful home or having a skeleton in the foreground made this ride more memorable. Oh, and come on, who didn't love the slow motion? Sure, the CGI wasn't exceptional, but it was good enough to make the scene look all kinds of awesome.

Photo credit: Gene Page/AMC
Photo credit: Gene Page/AMC

There was a more subtle and effective focus on Michonne as well. This hardened character who has endured so much is finally beginning to feel worn down by this messed up world. We love watching her slice and dice the undead, but does she enjoy it? The answer is made pretty clear here and to see her attempt to justify staying at a blatantly vulnerable place shows just how tired she has become of their situation. Can't say any of us can blame her, either. This episode didn't give too many characters a spotlight, but that allowed it to feel way more focused. Chiming in on everyone runs the risk of making the episode feel scattered and this gave us a much stronger emotional connection to Tyreese and Michonne. I felt way more for both of them in this episode than I have in any of the other ones.

This episode is a solid character study, but it also offers some pretty awesome action and horror. This is an episode that reminds us just how frightening and bleak this world can be. There's more than a few set pieces which do a great job contrasting the regular world with this surreal one and they definitely put the makeup team to work. There's CGI mixed in and you can obviously tell when that happens, but practical effects are used in both gruesome and horrifying ways.

Random thoughts: Is anyone else feeling a little worried after seeing the weapon Glenn decided to pick up? Maybe it's a harsh nod to the future? How'd the first zombie get into the room with a certain someone if they were previously trapped behind a closed door? You also saw how cool Rick's head slice was, right? Of course you did. Oh, and Alexandria is almost here, isn't it?

Spoiler time! Is anyone else legitimately surprised they followed-up Beth's death with the death of another major character? I honesty am. The handling of the shoveling in the beginning was an awesome red herring. Yeah, I'm pretty certain many of you also assumed it was dealing with burying Beth. When it comes to big deaths, this show tends to be hit or miss. Sometimes they really defy your expectations and it leaves your jaw on the floor. Sometimes it hits you emotionally. Or sometimes it just isn't all that big of a deal to you. For me, Tyreese's final episode was superb. It was an impactful arc for the guy and, instead of feeling just sad about his end, you realize that his struggling is over. You can't help but feel like he's one of the lucky ones right now. He didn't die afraid or angry. He knew who he was and he knew all of his troubles were behind him. Rest easy, big dude.

"What Happened and What's Going On" is a really, really good episode. It gives us a powerful and well-directed insight into a key character, dishes out some impressively handled action and horror, and makes a twist legitimately emotional and captivating instead of just shocking. Plus, the decision to skip all of the boring travel that is almost certainly loaded with filler is a greatly appreciated move. The second half of season five is off to an excellent start. Now let's just hope the upcoming episodes are able to balance action and character as well as this one did.

AMajorDoubter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AMajorDoubter

I knew Tyreese wasn't long for this world once Noah came into the picture. Poor big guy.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Transformers1024

Season 5 has been by far the best season of this show and certainly cements this as my favorite show on TV and absolutely miles ahead of the other CB shows.

Does anybody else think it would be awesome if that bat Glenn found will be the same bat that Negan uses to bash in his head when they finally come face-to-face? Like that bat becomes his new signature weapon, only to wind up being the very weapon that kills him?

regiebravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@transformers1024: I'm actually hoping Daryl gets Glenn's death, his story arc is basically over. I want to see Glenn survive until the final season.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5 the_stegman  Moderator

For the first time, I have to say I was bored to death watching Walking Dead.

45 mins of chattin' with dead people.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Excellent episode. Not much else to say. Now, insert expletives here.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It was cool seeing the Governor again, but those hallucinations got monotonous after a while. They need to stop decompressing and get to Alexandria; I want to see Aaron!

Ultragreenboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Despite the fact that it wasn't Noah's fault I could help but think "you useless bum"

KritikalMassX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By KritikalMassX

First Beth, now Tyreese?!!!!

Loading Video...

It was still a very good episode from a very good season, anyway.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Excellent episode! I loved every minute of it. And Glenn just sealed his fate picking up that bat!

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

R.i.p. Tyreese

sepukufuku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ughhhh!! It's so frustrating not having any friends that read the comics! I was biting my tongue the whole time!! It also sucks to have to watch your favorite characters die twice =[ But yea, I totally thought the bat was a nod to the comics. That being said, you just never really know where the TV series is going to go which is what makes it so fun to watch!

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

wow this was maybe a 2/5 episode but it it could easily be a 1/5. They already crapped over Andrea's character, now they did it with Tyreese. First of all I did not want to see an episode filled with those dumb dead characters that they kept showing along with the same scenes over and over just to follow it up with one of the most anti-climactic deaths in the history of this show.

ForeverMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By ForeverMan

Great episode. This whole season has easily been the best so far.

Also, people should chill with the unblocked comic spoilers in these comments. I know I had to avoid this part of the page until I got caught up...

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#15  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

This was some ol' Bullsh!+

Another brotha gone.

Tyreese was barely a good character on THIS show and this was yet another POINTLESS 60 minutes of television just to kill someone

And the way he died was so stupid.

-_-

Not giving it a 5.

~MiB

sentryman555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@transformers1024: I'm actually hoping Daryl gets Glenn's death, his story arc is basically over. I want to see Glenn survive until the final season.

I actually would really like it if they did this. For me, Daryl just doesn't feel like the same guy from season one and I wouldn't really mind if he was killed off. Glenn looks like he's finally starting to crack a bit from everything. I just feel like Glenn's story still has a lot of places it can go and Daryl's doesn't. But I doubt it would happen because Daryl is one of the most popular characters. I feel like him and michonne are untouchable on the show.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wasn't expecting Tyrese to die at all.

It really caught me off guard and it honestly kind of pissed me off. The dude smashed dozens of zombies with ONE hammer in ONE go. He's been through hell and back and that's how he goes?

JewishDork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Completely agree with you review. Kirkman said during an episode of Talking Dead that it is harder to kill a character on television since he is technically firing a guy whereas in the comic all he has to do is tell the artist to stop drawing the character. Terrific episode.

TheComedian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I figured CV would give it five stars lol.

Anyways I thought this episode was okay. The director of this episode was pretty bad and all the random shots and colors and what not really seemed forced and out of place.

As for the actual episode, it was only okay too. Since no one knows how to not spoil things I'll just talk about the character death. It was a pointless death. Doesn't matter how much character development we get from it because it doesn't matter anymore. He's dead.

Also seeing The Governor again was the greatest part of this episode. God, I wish he got revived or something some how.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

It annoys me when people complain every week that the Walking Dead isn't a "zombie action movie". Imo if they cut out all the zombies and cheap action and just made it a show about people surviving in the post-apoc it would be much more interesting.

However they do really need to stop playing blood in-blood out with their black characters.

Avatar image for wolverineistoaa
WolverineIsTOAA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tyreese was smoking some strong green.

sepukufuku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In regards to spoilers, I'm not sure why someone would read a review of an episode they haven't watched yet >.< ...Anyway, about Tyrese, besides the hammer, he's a totally different character than the one from the comic. I feel like a lot of characters have completely switched roles, like Carol is now more like the Andrea from the books which is totally fine with me. Darryl is more like Tyrese from the comics I'd say. They change a lot which is hard to cope with at first but it usually balances out somehow. Also I agree about the weird cuts and effects seeming out of place, but I think it was kinda cool that his death wasn't super epic. It's more realistic. Just because someone is an important character, doesn't mean they can't slip on a banana peel and fall in a meat grinder...

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where were Abraham's group in this one? Beautifully shot episode, no better way to send tyreese off. No character has ever gotten a whole episode devoted just to their death. This one summed up his character, had him literally face his demons in an impossible way, and showed that he was strong after all. This was a little too much right after Beth's death but that's how that world is now. Very well done camera shots and angles, especially when tyreese was on the ground while rick and michonne took down walkers around him. This was probably one of the most well written episodes in the show. Nice touches with how the confusing intro was explained throughout the episode.

Hope next week we can see some more action and story progress. This one reminded me of the clear episode with Morgan. Focused, well done, but away from the rest of the group and didn't really progress the show.

I feel they kinda wasted tyreeses character this season like they wasted Andrea, but this was an amazing way for him to die. Please no more major deaths this season though.

Also that walker sneaking tyreese was kinda PIS.

sepukufuku

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Abraham, Carol and Carl were probably on the other end of the walkies somewhere waiting in case they got into trouble and needed back up?

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice.

Rainja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

After just playing "The Last of Us" and being submerged into that universe just as of recent. Now, when i look at the walking dead i feel they are playing "Zombie Apocalypse" on easy mode. This was a good episode but i feel i have no clue where this series is going. Nobody knows anything,No one knows how this event started, if there is an end to this madness. This is just a run away horse, which is very fun btw but i think its only a matter of time before i eventually drop this series if it doesnt do something to wrap up somewhere down the road.

nfareed71024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

passed the quota for black guys. The pastor got added so Bob died. Cyrus was added so Tyrese died. I remember saying that Tyrese was next the second I saw Cyrus joined the group.

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Noah is really bad luck anyone else agree?

TheMultiverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mutant_god:

Yeah, at this point he's gotten two of the group members killed, and he's completely useless at defending himself. He better toughen, and train up quick, or let him run off with his "uncle". We all know who that is.

TheMultiverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rainja: I thought that same thing last night after hearing the radio turn on during the episode. After Watching shows like Znation, and playing through Last of Us, Walking Dead TVverse seems so, so small in comparison.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another brotha gone.

Tyreese was barely a good character on THIS show and this was yet another POINTLESS 60 minutes of television just to kill someone

-_-

Not giving it a 5.

~MiB

Spill.com? Double Toasted?

Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mutant_god:

Yeah, at this point he's gotten two of the group members killed, and he's completely useless at defending himself. He better toughen, and train up quick, or let him run off with his "uncle". We all know who that is.

We do?

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#37  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

@madeinbangladesh said:

Another brotha gone.

-_-

Not giving it a 5.

~MiB

No Caption Provided

~MiB

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By buttersdaman000

Tyreese was a chump. I mean it sucks that he's gone since I really do believe there was more to his character, but i'm also not gonna miss him. All he did was mope and feel sorry for himself anyways, and the group can't handle two babies.

Also, the zombie action is getting ridiculous. I don't know about y'all but a zombie would never catch me just zoning out in hostile territory like that. And after all the mobs Tyreese single-handedly took out, to see him go out like that is a little anti-climatic lol

Pelykan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It had to happen because we still have Morgan coming to join the group. The laws of the horror genre usually only allow one black guy and now they had two and a third man coming so one had to die for the other to join.

And honestly I don't think the priest will have long to live after that.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silverpool said:

@madeinbangladesh said:

Another brotha gone.

-_-

Not giving it a 5.

~MiB

No Caption Provided

~MiB

Nice

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yes. Daryl getting Lucilled would be the perfect way to establish Negan as a guy not to mess with.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pointless death.

The episode was really good but it wasn´t necessary to kill someone right after Beth died, and certainly not Tyreese , his character had so much potential.

@mutant_god:

Who is his uncle ?

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

Is it remotely possible Noah isn't who he appears to be? I think perhaps he may be a "mole" of some sort.

Indications a gang or roving band of thugs destroyed Noah's "suburb" but I don't think it was his to begin with. Having Noah conveniently trapped underneath the porch swing so Tyreese would be delayed with the group helping him? I don't know.

ForeverMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah I wonder who these "Wolves" are, who I presume carved the Ws into those walker heads.

There has to be changes for obvious (language reasons) but I get more and more of a feeling that we're going to see a very different version of Negan on the show.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silverpool said:

@madeinbangladesh said:

@silverpool said:

@madeinbangladesh said:

Another brotha gone.

-_-

Not giving it a 5.

~MiB

No Caption Provided

~MiB

Nice

Martian has the best expressions.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I can't understand why people complain that the show isnt the same anymore and it is boring or not as good. I can't see any of that and still think that this is the best TV Show out there right, and I may be a big fanboy of the show but this for me is the best TV show of all time.

I loved the episode and the whole build up to the big surprise. I didnt expect that to happen but I have to say.... it was handled perfectly. I really liked the plot and the directing of this episode. I thought this was one of the best looking episodes from a directing point of view.

4.5/5

TG_54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

is there anyone who read the comics that can explain the "wolves" or why there were W's carved on walkers foreheads?? please??

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#49  Edited By The Impersonator

There are still complaints, regarding this show. This is the best, highest-rated show and will be in the history of television. I enjoyed every episode, except the last villain who died sooner in the first two or three episodes. I wished I could see more of him.

The thing about Tyreese looking at the photos isn't a distraction. He's just curious to see the photos because they reminded him of the people who had normal lives. So what's wrong looking at the photos when you're at someone's house?

I can see why some are complaining about Beth's death scene in the mid-season finale. She could have tried a sharper weapon to attack that lady cop. But I guess that's the only thing she could find to attack her since the cops were guarding the hospital.

phocracker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2