k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

*This review contains some spoilers*

Unlike the last several episodes, "Crossed" jumps between all of the characters instead of just focusing on one group. It makes sense since the next episode will be the mid-season finale and they need to finally bring all of these arcs together for a hopefully awesome story. However, jumping from group to group also means a number of these settings won't have time to really pull us into their bleak setting. They offer little doses of character here and there and there's a handful of decent developments, but it just doesn't feel as gripping as many of the previous episodes.

For me, the highlight was the time spent with Rick Grime's crew. Not only did it have the best set piece (that evac site was brutal), but it also had the best focus on character. Yes, Rosita finally gets to open up a little bit and Sasha bonds with Tyreese, but the scenes with Rick continued to drive home the point that he isn't who he used to be... not at all. I mean, when you have Daryl siding with Tyreese about a non-lethal option instead of going with Rick's plan, you know Rick has really lost sight of his humanity. Now, that's not a jab at Daryl, but it just goes to show how much these characters have changed since we first met them. The way Rick casually mentioned slitting someone's throat like it was no big deal illustrates the fact he's totally cool with using lethal force as the primary option. I can't help but wonder how current Rick and Shane would get along... you know, assuming Lori wasn't around. The bit with Rick struggling about whether he should shoot the guy who has given up was a nice example of this.

Let's talk about that evac site for a second because it most definitely deserves some praise. Firstly, the make up and effects were shockingly disgusting and quite awesome. Many of the locations show how humanity has failed to thrive in this new setting, but that brought us back to the earlier days and showed the tough choices that needed to be made to help deal with the evergrowing threat. The way these bodies were melted and stuck to the surface was vicious and the setting was even used to serve as a haunting contrast during a very brief emotional moment. A setting like that would freak any of us out. These survivors, though? They can have a heart to heart in that location. Crazy, right? You can really tell they put a lot of effort into bringing that environment to life. Secondly, it was terrific they used this spot for such a tense and horrifying fight. Before the two went to the ground, the handling of the fight was just okay -- it was full of close ups and quick cuts -- but once the two began to grapple, that's when they really delivered on the intensity. And the way Daryl took the edge? It made me want to cringe and cheer at the same time. That's using his your head, Daryl!

No Caption Provided

The focus on Rick's group is also where most of the plot progression went down. As much as I love what they're doing over with Abraham's group, this episode just didn't have the right amount of time to make it feel as emotional as it could have. The dynamic between Maggie and Abraham worked well enough (the performances during the standoff definitely sold the moment, as did the later conversation), but watching the others gather water and fish just wasn't that interesting. I'm fine with slower episodes and material that reminds us this story is about people in a messed up world, but this one didn't really bring anything especially compelling to the table. As for Beth, it felt like that was there just to give us an update on Carol and whether she could be waking up any time soon. It was basically just moving that narrative forward without delivering anything memorable. However, the focus on Gabriel had a more subtle handling of his story. There was no need to blatantly spell things out for the viewer here. Everything from a child teaching him how to kill to being reminded of what happened in the church did a more than effective job telling us what's going through his mind and why he makes such a drastic decision.

Even if you're not that thrilled about the episodes, The Walking Dead tends to hit you with a pretty good cliffhanger. Unfortunately, that wasn't really the case with this one. Even if you didn't think the twist with the guy was predictable -- how many of you also wanted to scream at Sasha for letting her guard down like that?! -- it was still a pretty abrupt and not that exciting of a way to leave us hanging until the next episode. If an episode is building up to the mid-season finale, you can't help but expect something that'll drop your jaw.

Minor gripe: Does anyone else find it odd when a walker suddenly acts like a ninja? I get the show wants to get some jump scares in there, but it's a little silly when it seems like the zombie is a master of stealth.

"Crossed" has the difficult task of focusing on all of the groups and unfortunately, this means some scenes just aren't going to be all that interesting as the show clearly needs to race all of its elements forward. The constant need to jump from scene to scene takes a toll on the pacing and, despite building up to the mid-season finale, it didn't feel like that big of an episode and the cliffhanger wasn't very strong at all. It wasn't one of the more engaging episodes, but the focus on Rick was effective, the performances were solid, the evac site left one hell of an impression, and the material with Gabriel offered an adequate follow-up to the church slaughter. It's not the best episode this season, but I don't think it's a bad one, either. Now we just have to wait and see how all of these stories are handled in next week's mid-season finale.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

damn it Sitwell!!!

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I gave this 4 stars. This is how the show should be run. Not all these individual episodes every week focusing on different characters.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 the_stegman  Moderator

For me, i liked this more than the last few episodes. I rather them jump around and show all the characters instead of spending a whole episode on one faction.

Though, this proves that Rick has the right mindset, you can't trust people anymore, stupid move Sasha.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

it was okay

Neon_Jackal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

damn it Sitwell!!!

Would've been better if he whispered "Hail Hydra" before shoving her.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually agree with this review for once. This episode needed more time with ricks group to build hype for the mid season finale. We didn't need to see Glenn and them go fishing. We didn't need to see 20 seconds of Maggie dragging a ladder to Eugene. We could've seen more of the setup for capturing the cops or more time with the cops and it would've been cool to see rick and co. approaching the hospital and maybe seeing dawn or beth through a hospital window or something right before the episode ends. Abraham's group only needed one scene really to get the point across of what's happening to them.

Ricks group is the main feature not only in the entire show, but especially now for the mid season finale. But all this episode did was make them look like idiots. Their plan failed (should have listened to ricks plan), the cop escaped, and they are now the ones at a disadvantage. They basically have no bargaining chip and really have no leverage. Rick should go back to the "this isn't a democracy anymore" rick. He was right about needing to kill the rest of the termites when they escaped terminus, and he was right with his plan to attack the hospital. Daryl is awesome but agreeing with tyreeses plan was a bad move. Tyreese is way too soft for this world. He needs to kill someone.

I know its all gonna work out and the mid season finale will be awesome, but talking about just this episode, it failed at being the episode right before a mid season finale. Didn't build up hype at all and could have been much better. But I'm still excited for next week anyway. I expect it to be awesome.

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

How could Sasha fall for that?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By mak13131313

Ninja zombie! Ha! They left the wrong baby at the church. They should have left Tyreese.

Rainja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Lol, The Ninja zombie. Well i really hope that priest dies. He sickens me.

While he is praying for salvation.Im here praying he dies. LOL

I just hate him, he is a worthless sack of flesh.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 the_stegman  Moderator
mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

AlKusanagi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The season started strong, but now it's devolved back into stupid people making even stupider decisions. Such a bummer.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batmite1995:

and the cops name was bob, it reminded her of her bbq bob

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Sasha let her emotions get the best of her. *SMH*

Pelykan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Worst part of the episode: the priest trying to scratch blood off the floor. Cringed so bad.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rick lost his humanity because that's what he has to do to survive. Hanging on to it will only lead to death. I think Eugene not having the cure was symbolic to show that there's no hope for things to go back to the way they were. This is the world now. It seems like everyone is getting softer and softer and Rick is getting tougher.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#21  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

HAIL HYDRA!

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points