gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Scott Snyder and Sean Murphy have given us an amazing story. We've been introduced to a new world that has had layer upon layer. The fact that it ventured across different time periods gave it an even bigger feeling.

As the story heads towards the conclusion, there's a lot at risk for our main character, Leeward. It's these types of stories, ones with a definite ending, that you truly don't know who is safe and who might perish. The action has been set up in a big way and there are plenty of payout moments. It's not just action as we get answers. This is a series that has had us scratching our heads at times. These answers open up more doors and really brings about the desire to see more of this world.

As fascinating as the story is, Sean Murphy's art is just so good. This is one of those situations where I couldn't imagine this story drawn by someone else. Murphy and Snyder do wonders together and we can only hope to see the two team up on another project in the future.

The Bad

It's such a bummer to see this series end. Yes, we knew from the beginning it was meant to be a ten-issue miniseries. That still didn't prepare us for that moment of sadness when reaching the final page. Thankfully, the story overall is really great. That makes it a little easier.

The Verdict

Scott Snyder and Sean Murphy's THE WAKE has come to an end. This is the sort of book you'll want to read over and over. There is an interesting feeling reading a comic with a finite pace. That still doesn't quell the desire to see more from this amazing new comic world. Snyder and Murphy make a phenomenal team. We've had an amazing story, we get plenty of answers, and Murphy's art is enough to make you drool. Hopefully we will see more from this world in the future. There's plenty more in to explore in this world. Bravo to Snyder and Murphy.

comicbookfan93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I'm a bit confused about everything that happened in this issue

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

Such a weird twist. No way did I see that coming.

GreenDusk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am getting really dissapointed about the reviews over at comic vine, really guys. Just...review it...analyse it. Discuss it. Isn't it what you are supposed to do? Unless your definition of review is just saying "ok, art is good, story is good, good comic, read it...whatever". Hide the spoilers, but write about plot points. I think it's fundamental and what I search when i search for a good review of a comic: explanations and conjectures.

I wish you the best.

SlickyMike88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SlickyMike88

im going to order the trade on this

Brione

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This whole story was great and the ending was definitely unexpected. Maybe Leeward will get another mini series somewhere down the line. She's a great character and her dolphin too.

hisrealface

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@greendusk: Agreed. I came looking for this review hoping to find someone else's take on what happened in the book, even to see things maybe I might have missed. But this? This is as basic and middle-of-the-road as a "review" can be..if it can even be called that.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I've enjoyed this series as a whole, this ending was a bit odd and not quite what I was expecting. I loved the first arc/half of the series and loved what happened at the beginning of the last half, but the last few issues made the series seem a bit over ambitious for only ten issues. Murphy's art was spectacular throughout though. I'm really looking forward to his and Remender's "Tokyo Ghosts". Those early preview pages looked incredible.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dagmar_merrill: yeah, check out the preview pages. It's looking pretty impressive.

munkieKONG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By munkieKONG

Did not like this issue. The "twist" is convoluted, confusing, and does absolutely nothing in the way of tying up this story. I'm not sure what exactly i'm supposed to think about that random, sci-fi information dump of a plot explanation in the middle of the book.

*spoilers*

Also, that fall would have absolutely killed her. Where the hell did that fake robot hand come from since she had 2 working hands the page before? And she just what, takes some ship with no weapons from this fleet of people who were trying to kill her 5 minutes ago? There's not just fresh sailboats sitting around with no one on them. I guess the mers could help her take one since theyre apparently all best buds now all of a sudden.

Really poor and rushed feeling ending to an otherwise good series.

GreenDusk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hisrealface: Good to see someone agreeing with my point of view, thanks ;)

Armaghetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm on the fence. It felt rushed a little (like a Marvel event!), but I loved the idea with the ending. It just felt a little muddled mixed in with everything else.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

This should of been an ongoing that way Snyder would of had time to explore everything. Instead we got this, which was a weird ending to say the least.

andreww154

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A great final issue with a twist I definitely didn't see coming. However I was sensing a vibe of Kirby's Eternals throughout which wasn't too far off in terms of the main concepts. Sean Murphy is simply amazing and flawless especially when matched with Hollingsworth's colors. All in all The Wake really delivered on its promise and maintain a high level of suspense and entertainment throughout the 10 issues. Possibly Scott Snyder's best comics work?

fhnilo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Did not like this issue. The "twist" is convoluted, confusing, and does absolutely nothing in the way of tying up this story. I'm not sure what exactly i'm supposed to think about that random, sci-fi information dump of a plot explanation in the middle of the book.

*spoilers*

Also, that fall would have absolutely killed her. Where the hell did that fake robot hand come from since she had 2 working hands the page before? And she just what, takes some ship with no weapons from this fleet of people who were trying to kill her 5 minutes ago? There's not just fresh sailboats sitting around with no one on them. I guess the mers could help her take one since theyre apparently all best buds now all of a sudden.

Really poor and rushed feeling ending to an otherwise good series.

Amen to that. The whole ending just felt rushed and slightly out-of-place. While the first half of the series was awesome, and the beginning of the second half was pretty good too, the latest issues grew more and more laden with exposition. A somewhat disappointing finale to an otherwise promising title.