The Ultimates #1

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

First thing is first, this team doesn't have anything to do, that we know of, with the 1610 Ultimates. However, the concept of what the Ultimates stands for is still there. The Ultimates originally came together to stop larger forces that just one of them couldn't stop. This is really what this new team of Ultimates is all about, but instead of sitting back and waiting for things to become a threat, they search out the known threats, in order to stop them before they become a problem.

On top of that, this group consists of a few mid-level characters that don't get a lot of page time, and just as importantly, there are no ties to the American government, which seems to be a problem for a few groups at Marvel in the past. Although, there are ties to Wakanda, considering Black Panther is a part of the team.

So this new team is off to end potential problems before they start which brings the team up against a slew of cosmic forces as the first issue expands what feels like a more sinister part of the cosmic universe at Marvel. And by the end of the issue, they meet one of the universe's most infamous threats: Galactus. As far as a first issue goes, I really like what Al Ewing doing with this opening issue. It's different and it's nice to see some of these characters get some "screen time."

On the down side of things, it is a pretty confusing and mildly rocky start. A lot is thrown at the reader in the opening pages and it's a bit of a turn-off for the book. It's a bit of an information dump. Luckily, everything kicks right back into gear afterwards.

Joining Al Ewing is the art team of Kenneth Rocafort and colorist Dan Brown. The art on this issue is outstanding and refreshing. Rocafort's art really makes this book pop and it gives it the futuristic look that the story requires, since they are using a lot of super-science and Wakandan technology. Scenes are large and vast and some of the establishing shots here are wonderful. Brown makes the characters really pop off the page with his colors as well and that final page looks wonderful.

THE ULTIMATES may not be the book fans of the 1610 Universe expected, but it is easily worth the read. This is a pretty cool concept which places heroes on the offensive, so they can save the Earth in the future. It's a very different but very cool book. However, the opening is a bit of an info dump that can be a bit overwhelming. Regardless, this was a great first issue and I highly recommend checking it out.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Glad to hear that this is a good issue. Ewing is easily one of my favorite writers (His Mighty Avengers and Loki series were phenomenal) and this is a series I've been really excited for.

AndySynn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By AndySynn

One of the books I've been MOST looking forward to in the AN, AD era.

I also have my fingers crossed that one of the threats they'll encounter is the Cancerverse, and that we'll finally get the return of Rich Rider (who would be a fantastic fit for this team) as a result.

SEGENIS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ewing is killing it lol.And btw.has anyone read Uncanny Avengers #2? I still havent but want to hear is it worth a read

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4 the_stegman  Moderator

This and DD are the two books I'm most excited for in ANAD Marvel!

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This is on the top of my list in Marvel right now. Good to see that the review is good.

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

this and Supreme Squadron and Nighthawk are the ones i'm so excited for.

Uldogi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Uldogi

This ANAD's week was pretty amazing. This issue was very cool indeed but I don't understand the Parental Advisory rating.

RabumAlal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RabumAlal

@segenis: I read it but I hate Deadpool and the art so I may be biased.

Avatar image for child_of_the_past
    Child_of_the_Past

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rabumalal: Not really. The amount of Deadpool related stuff these days is getting a bit obnoxious.

Avatar image for currentthor2015
    CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep this deserves 5 stars, all the ANAD Marvel stuff this week was good, but Ultimates #1 was easily my fave.

mrkareemruiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

great book

SuperiorBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SuperiorBeast

Just finished it. It's..meh the art is awful, and it caters to Deapool. Who I'm a fan of. So it's bad not awful. Okay, not great.@segenis:

Dredd_78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You would almost not know from the comments here that Deadpool doesn't appear in Ultimates #1...

Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading this one, once I get caught up on the last few weeks of comics I've had pile up on me.

Dedpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad to hear it is a good book so far. I really liked the idea of this team. The characters are all interesting and like it was mentioned most of them don't get enough love, and now they will. Blue marvel, and Spectrum especially.

Armaghetto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sooo loved the 1610 Ultimates. Marvel, PLEASE STOP screwing everything up!!! B-List Avengers at best.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
    Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deadpool popularity is so amazing he's in book he's not and people still won't read lol.

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This art is so beautiful

Child_of_the_Past

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@armaghetto: These guys could probably beat the Avengers.

Child_of_the_Past

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@child_of_the_past: They could easily beat the Avengers, this is one very powerful team, and its great.

Cerridwen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kivatt said:

This art is so beautiful

CobraCommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love the roster, adore the art, very solid first issue.

We got a real one people.

scbetton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I found this to be the best team book marvel is pushing right now and hopefully Ewing will get the chance to write without getting dragged into crossovers like his mighty avengers run. I'm glad everyone is enjoying the book

TheHeat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This team needs some brightness.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I enjoyed this

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This book, is what i was hoping uncanny avengers and new avengers would be like........... Looks like i found my Avengers title to keep buying. Im already done with uncanny and new avengers.

SuperiorBeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lone_wolf_and_cub: I was replying to someone asking about Uncanny Avengers. That's why there was a dude tagged in my comment, it just tagged him at the end for some reason.

Avatar image for rideaspacecowboy
    RideASpaceCowboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 98

withoutfear512

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazing. It's already my favorite Avengers book. I thought Waid's Avengers launch issue was great as well but Ewing took the cake today. Loved the callbacks to the events in Captain America and the ongoings of the Illuminat.

Ewing has always handled continuity very well. Something I don't think people give him enough credit for. Excellent first issue.

Blinkshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is gonna be a great book. I like that it almost has a more grounded (Ultimate/ Scientific) feel to it, even though its one of the more cosmic executed. The cast are compelling in their own rights and in hindsight actually make sense for being powerhouses and brains to handle Ultimate level problems. I beg to question why Nightmask and Starbrand aren't in this series, since they're power levels are designed to be planetary defense, but that's just me nit picking haha. Definitely reading this.

shinobi62676

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By shinobi62676

Honestly I still not fully on board with calling this team the Ultimates and Illuminati the Illuminati because of so little in common. Like at the very least shouldn't the current Illuminati book be called the Cabal instead or something?

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Couple of things I want to say: emphasizing on "how weird that world they live in" wasn't done right. It's true for their world, but it came out totally forced and unsubtle imo. Another point, the AC wank is annoying as sh!t. She is the most problematic character in this roster for me, and once again emphasizing on stuff I don't like isn't the way I want things to work lol

Everything else was fine, Black Panther and Pan Gi Mun part was actually fun.

lebefrei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Avengers comparison really needs to stop. That is usually a US based team. This is very obviously Marvel's answer to the Justice League; a team full of powerhouses (or the ultra rich) that is always ready for any threat, international or intergalactic. If the reviews keep this strong I could see them becoming Marvel's major league team.

CurrentThor2015

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: If by AC you mean Ms America then I totally agree, especially if you read the preview for this issue in that Avengers #0 issue, she was thinking how she could take them all on if she needs to (Which she couldnt) and then this issue shows how good she is when Spectrum goes into her Light form, I hope all the issues dont focus on her this much, but other than that this was an amazing first issue.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@currentthor2015:

You got me. Problem is Ewing hypes her so much because he does think she can take them all down. And since he's the writer.... yeah. But real problem shows up the second you realize how powerful the other characters are and it appears the wank will go on to prove this thesis legit. Which is absolutely not the thing I'm looking for, I'm not reading this book for AC, that's for sure. So I agree, let's hope he balances it the way we can enjoy this just like we want to.

@lebefrei said:

The Avengers comparison really needs to stop. That is usually a US based team. This is very obviously Marvel's answer to the Justice League; a team full of powerhouses (or the ultra rich) that is always ready for any threat, international or intergalactic. If the reviews keep this strong I could see them becoming Marvel's major league team.

It's not like until recently Avengers haven't included Captain Universe, Starbrand, Ex Nihilo and Abyss, among Thor, Hyperion, Hulk with Iron Man and Captain Marvel. In power they already had the League, but I agree there are parallels of sorts:

Blue Marvel - Superman

Black Panther - Batman

Captain Marvel - Wonder Woman (many consider her to be Marvel's Diana, though I disagree with the whole Trinity enforcement, it just doesn't exist in Marvel)

Spectrum - Green Lantern

lol even America Chavez can have a parallel with current Cyborg via "interdimensional teleportation" niche.

Rezaujp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37  Edited By Rezaujp

@segenis: I've read it, it's a good book, love it the story line is pure

I know the art from the book is not that good

but it's worth to read, I love UA

Rezaujp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I would love to read this btw

because of Carol and Ms America Chavez, heard this book is worth while

saucygiraffe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@adamtrmm: The avengers are traditionally not that stacked, that was hickmans roster.

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@adamtrmm said:

@currentthor2015:

You got me. Problem is Ewing hypes her so much because he does think she can take them all down. And since he's the writer.... yeah. But real problem shows up the second you realize how powerful the other characters are and it appears the wank will go on to prove this thesis legit. Which is absolutely not the thing I'm looking for, I'm not reading this book for AC, that's for sure. So I agree, let's hope he balances it the way we can enjoy this just like we want to.

@lebefrei said:

It's not like until recently Avengers haven't included Captain Universe, Starbrand, Ex Nihilo and Abyss, among Thor, Hyperion, Hulk with Iron Man and Captain Marvel. In power they already had the League, but I agree there are parallels of sorts:

Blue Marvel - Superman

Black Panther - Batman

Captain Marvel - Wonder Woman (many consider her to be Marvel's Diana, though I disagree with the whole Trinity enforcement, it just doesn't exist in Marvel)

Spectrum - Green Lantern

lol even America Chavez can have a parallel with current Cyborg via "interdimensional teleportation" niche.

A) Miss Americas backstory was retconned to be from an all female dimension called Utopia and she is a flying female with superstrength, who wears the American flag colors...

B) She is the worst Mary Sue I've ever read at Marvel. She started out as a flying brick, that would have something resembling a personality despite being a stereotype who would struggle and then overcome problems, worry about things if it was appropriate and insult a woman that came to help her with the term "puta".

Then Young Avengers marginalized every character in it to make her punching featless fodder seem amazing and constantly people being at awe of her not very impressive feats. Having a power that contradicted her original series and an event two issues earlier in the same series(traveling through other dimensions for those who care she was stuck in another dimension in her original series and had clearly no idea what kind of place that was) got her stupid Wonder Woman ripp-off backstory and was outed as a lesbian, probably because Gillen thought she had the personality of one. Her ex, a superhero from her original series, who had a different love interest in that book, was now evil because she wouldn't date him and she started giving out cliched speeches to make her look deeper than she was, while being a complete bitch that everyone wanted to be friends with anyways.

Then Siege added an alternate Kate Bishop to make her look better. Every single scene the two have can be described as that.

Now we have Ewing literally defining her by having other characters tell us how awesome she is. Its the equivalent of putting that new Powergirl on the Justice League and having all the other members tell us how amazing she is. She also now seems to tell everyone her backstory, which she used to hide for absolutely no reason to make her look mysterious and deeper than she was, to tell them how much better she was than them. And we get outrageous claims about the powerlevel of this character that was completely ineffective so far.

Oh, and on Ewings other series he writes Wiccan, who literally created her home universe and the people in it, he is pessimistic fairly ineffecient mid-tier.

Avatar image for new52totallyblew
    New52totallyBlew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to read it, can't get passed the horrible art

Mrfuzzynutz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42  Edited By Mrfuzzynutz

Captain Marvel 'Earth's Mightiest Hero'...hmpf...

Aside from that, this is totally a Go Big or Go Home book! I couldn't have dreamed of a better book, from roster, story and creator if I had tried..this will easily be a must read every month

Titanbreaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#44 owie  Moderator

A very solid issue. First, it's great to have an almost-all minority team and have that not get commented on at all. It's just taken for granted that none of these folks is a token any more.

Great to see Blue Marvel, although I'm not a fan of the current costume. The relationship between him and Danvers was cool. I also liked Rambeau's description of Ms. America's speed, that was really interesting. I've never really like Ms. America--way too much attitude--but I think she makes a nice member of the team.

I'm looking forward to continuing reading this.

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stahlflamme:

I bet you don't like the character lol

And I can see hoe Gillen screwed on YA, gladly I'm not a fan but I feel your frustration. And you made me interested in a couple of things:

What was the whole deal with Wiccan and Demuirge, and what was their relation to Chavez?

adamTRMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saucygiraffe:

Mighty Avengers were pretty op as well. But traditionally, yeah. Potentially? They could always be op.

TheExile285

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 4

Had no idea this comic existed until the other day. Took one look at the roster and grabbed it off Comixology.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Read this issue today, Love the team but the story was long winded for nothing but a set up issue and it's annoying that you can tell this book expects you to read all of Ewing's titles.

There is nothing wrong with wordy set up issues but this was a bad way to do it. Vision did it much much better.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Pretty good opening issue.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.