• 61 results
Posted by inferiorego (24261 posts) - - Show Bio

In Marvel's November solicits, this week, it was revealed that issue #17 of Nick Spencer's and Steve Lieber's SUPERIOR FOES OF SPIDER-MAN would come to an end. The solicit revealed that "This is it! The end! The finale! The big wrapuperoo!!" With it, comes the cover to the final issue, drawn by Lieber, with Rachelle Rosenberg doing the colors. It's important to note that this series wasn't being cut short, according to Nick Spencer's Twitter feed, but there will be no relaunch as well. Issue #17 is it and that's that. It's an end to easily one of the most ingenious Marvel series in the past decade.

Ignoring the most Upworthy-ish title I've ever come up with in my tenure at CV, the end of SUPERIOR FOES sucks. While it took a while to win over some hardcore Spider-man fans, it was the one book you never heard complaints about. Looking at the series as a whole, thus far, it's an easy book to fall in love with. What made SUPERIOR FOES such an awesome series was that it was something unexpected. Who knew that a book about a group of D-list Spider-Man villains could be so enjoyable?

Following in the footsteps, to a degree, of other books at Marvel like Matt Fraction's HAWKEYE, SUPERIOR FOES had an off-beat comedic style and an approach to storytelling that was far different than other team books. As Spencer and Lieber got further down the road with this book, there was a real connection between the readers and the series. It was one of those books you read not just for the story but because you wanted to see how Lieber and Spencer approached it.

By the way I'm talking about this, you may think this is the second coming of comics. In some cases, it kind of is, even though that may be seen as a giant exaggeration. It was a very different approach to comic book story telling, and it used humor not just for the laughs but to give readers a closer look at who these characters are whether it was Boomerang's thought process and daydreaming, which in many times him murdering some one or Overdrive's escape plan, in a two page which was just as silly as it was important to the story. It was the perfect look at some villains who were a bit dated.

It's not the end of the world, but it's a big bummer for fans. SUPERIOR FOES OF SPIDER-MAN was a great break from the endless events, tie-ins, and overall serious approach to comic book storytelling most series have. It was the delicious desert after a nice meal, but a desert I could go back to and overeat until I explode. Luckily, not all is lost. There's still three more issues of this series to enjoy. Thanks Nick Spencer, Steve Lieber, and Rachelle Rosenberg for giving readers a team book that stood out from everything else, and thanks for putting the head of Silvermane in a remote control car and later in a bowling bag.

Staff
#1 Posted by Wardishy (701 posts) - - Show Bio

Crybaby.

#2 Posted by inferiorego (24261 posts) - - Show Bio

@wardishy said:

Crybaby.

Stop reading my twitter account

Staff
#3 Edited by Veitha (3279 posts) - - Show Bio

No... Really? Really?

*crying*

#4 Edited by Wardishy (701 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Edited by i_dont_like_comics (770 posts) - - Show Bio

#6 Posted by TommytheHitman (3188 posts) - - Show Bio

Aw...

While I have to admit I think the whole Head of Silvermane thing's been going on a bit too long I will honestly miss this series.

#7 Posted by dagmar_merrill (8524 posts) - - Show Bio

At least Secret Avengers is going strong.

#8 Posted by longbowhunter (7077 posts) - - Show Bio

Great book. Hope to see it collected in one big volume.

#9 Posted by Overlander (512 posts) - - Show Bio

I love that cover.
LOVE

LOVE

LOVE

#10 Posted by JoeC_Mommy (167 posts) - - Show Bio

I felt like that about Fraction and Allred's FF. (Sigh. Sniff.)

I like The Superior Foes of Spider-Man, too, but I have started to feel confused by the double-, triple-crosses. The artwork and the dialogue, though, have been wonderful.

#11 Posted by Golden Cod (425 posts) - - Show Bio

Does Overdrive have a corgi?!?!

#12 Edited by MadeinBangladesh (6853 posts) - - Show Bio

The best book that MARVEL had is gone!!!!!

SCREW YOU MARVEL and you 4 dollar COMICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, how come DC doesn't release a series like this for the Flash Rouges? I will never understand.

#13 Posted by StMichalofWilson (3817 posts) - - Show Bio

Who knows. Maybe the series will comeback someday. This is comics after all

#14 Posted by darkrider (450 posts) - - Show Bio

also new Warriors Cancelled With #12

#15 Posted by Dark_Guyver (2313 posts) - - Show Bio

Why no mention of New a warriors also ending? Where are we supposed to get our Scarlet Spider fix now?!

#16 Edited by Outside_85 (8971 posts) - - Show Bio

#17 Posted by inferiorego (24261 posts) - - Show Bio

BTW, how come DC doesn't release a series like this for the Flash Rouges? I will never understand.

I've actually bugged Booch about that on several occasions.

Staff
#18 Posted by kennybaese (1114 posts) - - Show Bio

@madeinbangladesh: The Rogues totally need their own book. I'm like Mat (*shudder*) in that I don't have a particular affinity for the Flash, but the Rogues are my jam.

#19 Posted by MrMazz (1234 posts) - - Show Bio

@madeinbangladesh: Because Flash Rogues has a whole heapling lack of BATMAN/SUPERMAN/JUSTICE LEAGUE (Insert subtitle here) in the title. Though man a Flash Rogues book would have possibbilites.

#20 Posted by kantrip (139 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely gonna grab the last few issues of this. :)

#21 Posted by Paste_Pot_Pete (105 posts) - - Show Bio

Sigh... sad that this hilarious series is coming to an end, but at least it lasted this long.

#22 Posted by snarkybits (349 posts) - - Show Bio

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

#23 Posted by Jake Fury (18615 posts) - - Show Bio

Boooooo!!!

#24 Posted by Xwraith (18051 posts) - - Show Bio

Is this yet another case of "critically acclaimed book gets cancelled because it didn't sell as well as books that weren't nearly as good"?

#25 Posted by CaptainHoopla (1021 posts) - - Show Bio

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

Now that I'm done crying for the moment, I think we all knew it was coming and I'm thankful Spencer & Lieber get to finish this and "hopefully" it's the ending they'd planned for all along. Having said that, it's news like this that causes me to lose all faith in 99% of the comic buying public that would rather buy comics of the same old regurgitated crap. To the 1% that was reading this, I salute you.

#26 Posted by Rainja (357 posts) - - Show Bio

I find this book childish in my opinion.I can't be an adult a read this.

#27 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6482 posts) - - Show Bio

If only Slott's Spider-Man run shared the same fate.

#28 Posted by ZbvmX (262 posts) - - Show Bio

At least Secret Avengers is going strong.

Yes, a small consolation. I'm going to miss Foes so much!

#29 Edited by ZbvmX (262 posts) - - Show Bio

@madeinbangladesh said:

I've actually bugged Booch about that on several occasions.

You're not bugging him enough! :P Several needs to be updated to all

#30 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11563 posts) - - Show Bio

Superior Foes AND New Warriors is ending in the same month. Today totally sucks.

#31 Posted by Night Thrasher (3687 posts) - - Show Bio

So sad right now!

#32 Edited by Devbob98 (8 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by derf_jenkins (401 posts) - - Show Bio

I think we all knew this was inevitable. So long and thanks for all the fun!

#34 Posted by Jayc1324 (12201 posts) - - Show Bio

All great, relatively unknown things must come to an end

#35 Edited by BeaconofStrength (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm just glad it's going to be able to have an actual ending. Considering they were only signed for 6 issues, and got 16 , it's all good in my book. I will miss the series, though.

I'm just hoping they'll consider a spiritual successor, through Image. Lieber said he was on board, so let's hope Spencer is up for it.

#36 Edited by DrApplebox (23 posts) - - Show Bio

@xwraith said:

Is this yet another case of "critically acclaimed book gets cancelled because it didn't sell as well as books that weren't nearly as good"?

Eeyup.

@rainja said:

I find this book childish in my opinion.I can't be an adult a read this.

Do you even know what genre you're a fan of?

#37 Posted by chaos911 (1886 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn I wished I actually followed this. All I got is the first trade paperback. But I promise I will collect all of it.

#38 Posted by dreamfall31 (562 posts) - - Show Bio

WHY CAN'T WE HAVE GOOD THINGS!!!

#39 Posted by DrellAssassin (226 posts) - - Show Bio

I share your tears Mat, what a joy this book has been. I can't wait to retread the whole series once it's done, and I hope that Lieberman and Spencer team up in the future.

#40 Edited by Mangakid1995 (191 posts) - - Show Bio

Be happy guys. We will never have another comic that's anything like this one ever again, and that's what makes this one so amazing. Superior Foes of Spider-Man is about the closest thing to a perfect comic I've ever read. We had it and now it's ending but we can always come back and read it again.

#41 Posted by Teerack (6236 posts) - - Show Bio

Superior Foes is the best book Marvel has ever made. I'm going to miss this book so much. I hope Nick Spencer ends up on something great, because he really is a much better writer then the rest of the marvel staff could ever hope to be.

#42 Posted by superior_prime_maybe (375 posts) - - Show Bio

oh well. Sad. but a series like this is more awesome because it ends. Because of the definite story arc.
hope they end with an epic bang.

#43 Posted by ForeverMan (142 posts) - - Show Bio

Ugh, this is the saddest news ever.

The world needs more comics like Superior Foes of Spider-Man, not less.

#44 Posted by leokearon (1802 posts) - - Show Bio

I got the first trade for my Birthday and I love it, anyone know when the second will be out

#45 Posted by Teerack (6236 posts) - - Show Bio

It looks like Speed demon will get his dog back tho, so at least there is some happiness here.

#46 Posted by Vulshock (144 posts) - - Show Bio

@teerack: Yeah, but not for the family who owned the dog in the first place.

#47 Posted by PunyParker (10798 posts) - - Show Bio

Sadly enough,it was expected.....they didnt know that they're gonna go past issue 12.

#48 Edited by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7966 posts) - - Show Bio

@chaos911 said:

Damn I wished I actually followed this. All I got is the first trade paperback. But I promise I will collect all of it.

#49 Posted by sparty-dbq (799 posts) - - Show Bio

Never read it. Mainly because of the first word in the title. Yeah, lay into me all you want, that's how it is.

#50 Posted by bladewolf (753 posts) - - Show Bio

Such a great series. I'll really miss it, especially because I love books that star villains (even if these guys are more funny than villainous). I'm glad we've still got 3 issues to read, this series has been an absolute joy.