gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

It's a new Punisher series so why not put him in a new location? Frank Castle has always tried to wipe out drugs and crime in New York City but it makes sense for him to change his focus. By trying to track down a big source of drugs, Frank heads to Los Angeles to target a big cartel.

Nathan Edmondson doesn't hold back. Punisher is dedicated and focused on his mission. There's a certain set of behavior and attitude we expect from a good Punisher story. This does feel like a natural progression and seeing what L.A. might have in store for him will be fascinating. To spice things up even more, there's going to be another group he'll soon have to deal with. And it won't just be Frank fighting the bad guys on his own. Looks like he may have some allies to help out in small ways.

Mitch Gerads does a great job on the art and colors. A Punisher comic needs to have the right vibe to it. Visuals can play a big role in it all by making it feel gritty and realistic enough while staying true to the comic book universe. Frank looks like a normal guy fighting this war. He's not a superhero and shouldn't look like one.

The Bad

The Punisher follows a trail from Mexico to Los Angeles in one day. It's unclear whether or not he had been working in LA prior to this and for how long. He's acquainted with some people there, and there doesn't seem to be any concern over him being wanted by the authorities. It's likely we'll get some of these answers in future issues. Or perhaps we can just not worry about it since this is an "all-new" series. This series does feel different from the previous volume. That's both good and bad.

The Verdict

The Punisher is back to continue his fight against crime. Nathan Edmondson throws the Punisher and us in the middle of the action as we see Frank move away from the all too familiar New York City setting. Mitch Gerads is delivering some good visuals and it's safe to say this is going to be a fun and explosive Punisher series.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#1  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Are the Thunderbolts mentioned at all?

EvilPenguin543

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Punisher is one of my favorite characters, so I'm looking forward to picking this up.

Ando123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Ando123

Good stuff

JeanRalphio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Is this worth picking up? I'm thinking about adding it to my pull list.

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Hawkguy

Very excited for this. Edmondson has had a nice start on Black Widow so I have faith. Love the Punisher too so its all the more reason to invest.

I like seeing these early reviews for the new #1s, really makes me reconsider which ones I'll pick up (ie. I'll now be picking up Wolverine after reading the review)

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JeanRalphio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By JeanRalphio

@jonny_anonymous: I'm looking for more forum users opinions, I take staff reviews with a grain of salt. Have you read?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I'm looking for more forum users opinions, I take staff reviews with a grain of salt. Have you read?

it's not out till wed

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sweet.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Love the cover art

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

4 stars!?!?!? How dare you!

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

First comic I ever bought was a Punisher comic way back in the 80's. Been a fan ever since. Looking forward to Edmondson's take on Frank. His Black Widow has been on point.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Edmonson is a great writer and Gerads is real passionate about these kinds of books

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pumped for this

ScarletBatman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My friend is an avid Punisher fan, so I look forward to being regaled of Frank's trials and tribulations in LA.

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like this might be more similar to Mike Baron's Punisher as opposed to the more recent takes. I'm cool with that.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

Is this worth picking up? I'm thinking about adding it to my pull list.

Did you see the preview last week?

JeanRalphio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: I meant that in a broader sense,but only because I've seen staff reviews on here and I'd read the book and be flabbergasted at the rating,other viners too. I don't totally look at the reviews,scoff and disregard them,like I said just with a grain of salt.

JeanRalphio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nickxh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved the previous series and from the looks of it I will probably love this series as well. I love the idea of Frank Castle now in the city of angels. I do wish Marvel would relocate more heroes in Los Angeles or even Chicago and Boston would be interesting to see. Instead of them all in New York.

bionder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

It seems a good and fair review... I'm looking forward to buy this issue.

Avatar image for kingofhearts9374
kingofhearts9374

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does this in anyway follow the last punisher series? where it ended with frank in jail and Cole-Alves as her own kind of punisher?, i really loved that run

KingStandup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By KingStandup

The Punisher is one of my all-time favorites, so needless to say I will be checking this out. It sounds like a classic Frank Castle storyline, but that is by no means a bad thing. I just wonder if this ties into any previous series? I also wonder if he will have a run in with any other superheroes? Either way, this looks great!

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kingofhearts9374: I kind of mentioned that in the BAD section. It's a different feel. I suppose it has to in order to stand apart.

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

newsrama gave it 9/10 tony gave it 4/5 . Looks like the generally census its rather good book.. ! Im glad its own thing , i haven't read the past few Punisher stories.Works for me.

Nod-Nolan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

and if you like this go and check out Edmondson and Gerads creator owned series at Image the Activity

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope they don't. The eclectic members of that group just do not make any sense at all whatsoever. IMHO the writers did not do any where near a good enough job in generating a story, any real rhyme and a reason, as to why this group of completely disparate individuals are, well, grouped. Other than they are all "anti-hero" in flavor. Which, considering they're entirely distinct and separate motivations, is not nearly reason enough.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

I hope they don't. The eclectic members of that group just do not make any sense at all whatsoever. IMHO the writers did not do any where near a good enough job in generating a story, any real rhyme and a reason, as to why this group of completely disparate individuals are, well, grouped. Other than they are all "anti-hero" in flavor. Which, considering they're entirely distinct and separate motivations, is not nearly reason enough.

It's pretty much explained why they are together in the book

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tigerkaya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By tigerkaya

@super_soldierxii said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Soule does his damn best to make the book appealing but it still sucks like hell.

Looking forward to when its canceled and relauched by someone that knows how to write the Thunderbolts.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull said:

@super_soldierxii said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

Soule does his damn best to make the book appealing but it still sucks like hell.

Looking forward to when its canceled and relauched by someone that knows how to write the Thunderbolts.

Looking forward to Soul staying on the book for a long time

overtshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As a long time Punisher fan who's endured a lot of lame and uninteresting takes on the character. I can report this one's off to a good start. It doesn't try to fix what isn't broken, but applies a welcome coat of new paint. I like the "tacticool magpul operator" approach. The look comes across as a little airsoft-y at times (unnecessary rails in unnecessary places), but it's also a fun and believable direction for Frank that doesn't detract from the qualities that have allowed the character to survive as an iconic a gun-toting vigilante in comics rather become a left behind as a stereotypical character from a bygone era [something that very nearly happened more than once during the 90's].

Caladorcp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Caladorcp

I thought this issue was killer. Both the writing and artwork are perfect. That being said...I haven't read many Punisher comics. Only a few short runs and limited series, and I haven't read them in a long time. But when I think "Punisher", this comic is exactly what I think. Definitely picking up the next issue.

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not bad - not bad at all. The handcuffed passenger looked like a completely different person in one panel, but besides that, the art was great and so was the pacing of the book. Takes some getting re-used to, having someone like Frank do what he does, but that's what makes the character so riveting (at least to me). It's one thing to kill, and quite another to zero hesitation when doing it. That's the Punisher alright.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was pleasantly surprised with this. Will definitely pick up the second issue and see how it goes from there. Nathan Edmondson is doing good stuff with this and Black Widow.

bionder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Definetely the best Punisher run in 616 i've seen in years. I loved Rucka's run and it was a shame Marvel shut him down, but this... Frank as a character seems more complete and believable. Nathan give some depth to the character that seemed lost many years back. This seems like a compilation of he Punisher since the early series in '86, it's action packed, he can interact with people( with more than one or two words) as Frank/Punisher and be brutal and precise like Ennis and Rucka in their respective runs. Oh and he seems to have quite interesting supporting cast!

Mitch artwork really fits this book as a glove and this is one of the best creative team that was "assemble" by Marvel to make this book work. Rucka and Chechetto make a good pair too.

This is a must have for any hardcore Punisher fans and to bring new fans on board.

Hanson724

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Punisher is definitely off to a great start! I'm glad he's in LA and hopefully him and the new Ghost Rider will cross paths.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really loved this first issue

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I heard that Frank was really chatty.I hope it wasn't like Waid's Daredevil was it?

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous said:

I heard that Frank was really chatty.I hope it wasn't like Waid's Daredevil was it?

No no, more like Welcome Back Frank.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By daredevil21134

@daredevil21134 said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

No no, more like Welcome Back Frank.

Ok,I bought it so i'll read it

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: I enjoyed it.It's a different take that's still very true to the character

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@daredevil21134: Yea, I liked it. It's similar to Ruckas run but like they infused it with Welcome Back Frank.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daredevil21134: Yea, I liked it. It's similar to Ruckas run but like they infused it with Welcome Back Frank.I never got to read Rucka's run but I always wanted too

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous